• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

CrankyJay

Banned
Hatredcopter said:
Facebook is supposedly going public sometime in 2012. I'm a noob investor, but am I wrong to think jumping on that IPO right away is a great idea? I imagine it would make people into millionaires. Just curious what you (and others) might think.

Probably for day 1 and then sell it off immediately at the day's high.

MesserWolf said:
Sitting on too much cash it isn't such a positive thing. You could argue that if applewere to invest at least a sizeble part of that money they would have a decent ROI and therefore better results.

Plus the lack of Jobs is a big big concern / risk. The market is just pricing that risk.

I agree about sitting on too much cash, but what is there out there that makes sense for Apple to buy?

daw840

Looks like things looked better today. Everything in my fake portfolio went up! Still at a 1% loss overall though, but that's ok. Learning.

Zyzyxxz

mastershake said:
I agree about sitting on too much cash, but what is there out there that makes sense for Apple to buy?

patents. Patent battles have become a serious problem in recent years as there are numerous cross patent battles and it seems patent licensing is a really profitable business.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Anno said:
Very few recent IPOs have any sort of major moat around their business model. All of them can be, and likely will be, copied and eventually overtaken by larger companies with the funds to do it better. No one I know is loyal to Groupon deals or Zynga games; they may like their products but they don't use them exclusively. I just don't see how these companies break through into something that will give them long term sustainable growth that separates them from the rest of the field.

In fact I think most people on the casual game market aren't even aware of the brands, so there simply no brand attachment outside of individual titles. That means more competition can easily dilute a company's success.

And I never ever invest in a website company like Linked, because I have never in my life visited a website again after stopping visiting it for a while. It's always an upward trend (I visit the site a lot), followed by an irreversible downward trend (I visit it less and less until I finally never visit it at all).

I can't think of one website that I started visiting regularly again after no longer doing so at all. I'm thinking that's how it is for most people. So company that is a website is one I'll never have confidence to invest in.

Hatredcopter said:
Facebook is supposedly going public sometime in 2012. I'm a noob investor, but am I wrong to think jumping on that IPO right away is a great idea? I imagine it would make people into millionaires. Just curious what you (and others) might think.

Same response as on the previous page.

There is no way to know how the stock will perform. It's gambling. Up to you.

Anno

Hatredcopter said:

I imagine that, like most tech IPOs recently, you won't make much money unless you somehow get in on the allocation. Buying in the open market has been a pretty bad idea if your holding period is anything longer than a few hours. That said, Facebook actually is a sustainable, wide-moat company that should continue to do well.

magichans

Banned
Hey guys, I'm playing a stock market sim and my price was off by a full $1 (that doesn't seem so significant, but I lost 2K). However, google finance, stockmarketwatch, and virtually every other thing is showing that the price was actually a dollar less than what they charged. The last time the price was the amount they said it was was 3 days ago.

I'm not sure if theres an automated system in place at this game or if they're literally using people to price the stocks, because when I pricecheck the site it only shows a graph that could be misinterpreted. Anyone know what possibly could be the reason? The stock was an ETF.

Ovid

Oh crap!!!

Geron Halting Stem Cell Research, Laying Off Staff
MENLO PARK, Calif. (AP) — Money troubles have forced the first company doing a government-approved test of embryonic stem cell therapy to discontinue further stem cell programs and lay off much of its staff.

Geron Corp. said late Monday that it is halting development of its stem cell programs and seeking partners to take on their assets.

Geron, based in Menlo Park, Calif., will focus instead on cancer research, particularly its drugs that are in mid-stage human testing.

The company said it is eliminating 66 full-time jobs, or 38 percent of its staff, a process that will bring about $8 million in costs between now and next June.

Geron in October 2010 began testing an embryonic stem cell therapy in patients with recent spinal cord injuries.

Ovid

Rubenov said:
You own stock? I remember going through this thread and you had some stem-cell related company stock.
No, not holding GERN anymore. I sold it a couple years ago.

I'm still holding STEM though.

I always thought GERN had the most potential since they had government-backing as well as investment from GE.

Zyzyxxz

CrankyJay said:
Fuck, I can't win. Every time good news comes out about this stock the market tanks and absorbs it.

could have been alot of people who got in around April time are trying to break even and get out or those who bought earlier but missed out on the April peaks want out now.

CrankyJay

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
could have been alot of people who got in around April time are trying to break even and get out or those who bought earlier but missed out on the April peaks want out now.

Not sure. In the last 3 months people have been buying over selling 2 to 1.

This stock is going to be big in the next 1-4 years once OLED becomes more mainstream.

I still consider its current price a discount.

TylerD

My individual stock brokerage account is down 18% since October 24th. Wheeee!!!!

Looks like all my positions are going to be long ones.

Zyzyxxz

TylerD said:
My individual stock brokerage account is down 18% since October 24th. Wheeee!!!!

Looks like all my positions are going to be long ones.

18% isn't too bad but are you sure the stocks will bounce back in the longterm? Sometimes its better to cut your losses and plan your next move.

TylerD

Zyzyxxz said:
18% isn't too bad but are you sure the stocks will bounce back in the longterm? Sometimes its better to cut your losses and plan your next move.

My 3 main positions are Ford, Chesapeake Energy, and Bank of America right now. I am pretty confident that they will bounce back. CHK and BAC are down from where I bought them. I bought Ford at 10.20 and again at 9.10 and sold 1/3 of my shares at 11.95. Now it is probably going to fall under 10 again.

daw840

TylerD said:
My 3 main positions are Ford, Chesapeake Energy, and Bank of America right now. I am pretty confident that they will bounce back. CHK and BAC are down from where I bought them. I bought Ford at 10.20 and again at 9.10 and sold 1/3 of my shares at 11.95. Now it is probably going to fall under 10 again.

If it falls under 10, I would think that would be a good time to buy Ford. They are a solid company.

CrankyJay

Banned
Besides my real shares in PANL, I started playing the investopedia game to learn more about options and short selling. I wouldn't want to learn this stuff with real money on the table.

CrankyJay

Banned
Market is taking a swan dive...

Where will the bottom be? I'm pretty sure we can expect another crash with Europe announcing Wednesday (and the US announcing Monday) that they failed.

Either start shorting or see if you can find the bottom and buy buy buy.

Zyzyxxz

Where will the bottom be? I'm pretty sure we can expect another crash with Europe announcing Wednesday (and the US announcing Monday) that they failed.

Fuck I don't know what to do, I have 3 penny/low-cap stocks that I'm holding on decent sized positions but I don't want to lose em know.

Dammit this sucks but at the same time I think I'm going to be in the position to have some good buying opportunities.

CrankyJay

Banned
Fuck I don't know what to do, I have 3 penny/low-cap stocks that I'm holding on decent sized positions but I don't want to lose em know.

Dammit this sucks but at the same time I think I'm going to be in the position to have some good buying opportunities.

I know it's tough...I feel like if the market tanks I will be buying stocks on sale, but what if they sink even further? LOL

It's like doubling down on a bet when you already lost...but there is a huge potential to make some money here.

kathode

Pretty much got torn a new one today as I was positioned for a rally. This tape is hard as hell to trade. The market seems ruled by news right now, with wild 2-3% swings being pretty normal. Volatility looks like it will be the watchword for a while longer before we get into a clear trend.

Rubenov

Pretty much got torn a new one today as I was positioned for a rally. This tape is hard as hell to trade. The market seems ruled by news right now, with wild 2-3% swings being pretty normal. Volatility looks like it will be the watchword for a while longer before we get into a clear trend.

It's like the stock market is one big stock going up and down on massive swings. I've heard many people that have been investing for decades saying this is the most challenging environment of their investing career.

Also, I'm still butthurt from today and last week.

TylerD

It is kind of comical how much the market is swinging due to news really. Pretty much every down day starts the same way as... "Investors question situation in Europe" or some other iteration of that.

Zyzyxxz

My whole portfolio is down 15% today, I'm not worried too much anymore as I believe this is just a bad news day after looking through what happened.

CrankyJay

Banned
I'm holding strong onto PANL...I have 70 shares but will possibly add 30 more for my core position. I really think OLED is the way to go for TV/phones/cars/lighting...and the stock will be fully mature in 2014-2015.

AMRS, GEVO, KIOR, and SZYM are all on my radar as the market crumbles (hopefully) in the short term. I'm biased since I study/conduct research in the biofuel sector, but I have a feeling companies such as these will follow the trend of solars; one, maybe two will excel, the rest will fail. Some in-betweens will be bought out. I'm using all my knowledge of biofuels to comb through each of these thoroughly and try to determine the best one to go with, if any.

I love when the markets crash. It's like Black Friday discount day on stocks!

Zyzyxxz

I'll buy some more BAC at my next paycheck. Bought back in too early at 7.20 after selling when that Warren Buffett announcement made it spike over 8.

Yeah I've been watching it since I sold out at the Buffet spike seeing where the bottom is.

If yesterday's bad news wasn't enough to break it under the 5.20 range then I think I'm in at the bottom for now.

Maybe I'm missing something, what announcements will there be for Europe in the coming weeks?

It's make much more sense to short BAC when it's $6+. I might go in once it's around $5.

CrankyJay

Banned
I could have sworn I saw an article on Monday saying there would be a Wednesday announcement. It doesn't matter...the market is tanking today like I expected.

I'm so underwater right now. LOL. Probably down about 20%.

Zyzyxxz

I could have sworn I saw an article on Monday saying there would be a Wednesday announcement. It doesn't matter...the market is tanking today like I expected.

I'm so underwater right now. LOL. Probably down about 20%.

Today's damage isn't so bad to me, I'm down 18% from 15% yesterday.

Hopefully this will be the extent and I'm hoping BAC doesn't break under $5 or it could send a selloff.

Anno

You guys must have some crazy portfolios. I was down like 3% last week and about 4.5 so far this week. Not that I really care at the moment, but I certainly wouldn't want much more volatility than I already have.

CrankyJay

Banned
You guys must have some crazy portfolios. I was down like 3% last week and about 4.5 so far this week. Not that I really care at the moment, but I certainly wouldn't want much more volatility than I already have.

Yeah, mine is pretty volatile. Dunno...I'll hang onto this for a few years.

Will be buy less volatile shit soon. Waiting for the market to keep sending these prices cheaper.

TylerD

Not today!

The day before I get paid and can pick up more shares of my stocks that were beat up they all go up at least 6% Still, nice to see that big green number.

Tomorrow headline: Stocks retreat as investors worry about Eurozone

haha

Zyzyxxz

The day before I get paid and can pick up more shares of my stocks that were beat up they all go up at least 6% Still, nice to see that big green number.

Tomorrow headline: Stocks retreat as investors worry about Eurozone

haha

LOL, seriously I expect that to happen but at least my portfolio has almost broken even.

NFLX being down on a day like today is pretty crazy. Hope no one here's long lol

I got in when it first hit 77 and sold out at the pop to 92 but I'm glad I didn't have the balls to go long on that. Too much uncertainty, on my watch list but little else. I expect it to drop even lower if any big portfolios are still holding on to sell at a loss and claim it on taxes.

Ovid

Yes, the U.S. added private sector jobs in November, but what if this increase in hiring is just for the holiday season?

Also, I just wanted to add this quote. It pretty much sums up why the markets were up today:
Stronger job growth in the United States will make it easier to sustain the surge in holiday spending, says economist Robert Brusca. "Things are getting better for the economy," he said. "It means the news we have on Christmas shopping and on an increase in consumer confidence may have some validity."

Top Bottom