• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Zyzyxxz

Yes, the U.S. added private sector jobs in November, but what if this increase in hiring is just for the holiday season?

Also, I just wanted to add this quote. It pretty much sums up why the markets were up today:

Customer spending was up but it was mostly on credit too so this growth is not sustainable into the New Year. Expectations about the economy haven't greatly improved IMO.

Zyzyxxz

What do yall think about Netflix's prospects in the UK? They are due to launch service here soon, right?

I would like to know too but I want to know does UK have a dominant player in the streaming market?

I think Netflix at ~66 is a good low to buy on but I'm not risking getting back into it again without a good idea.

Zyzyxxz

Stock-Age, if you had 500k deposited in your bank account tomorrow what would you look to investing into?

Half into dividend stocks trying to get a yield of 3-4% and letting it reinvest in itself. One quarter into long term bonds. One quarter into a short selling portfolio.

Or you can just give me your 500K and I'll take care of it for you.

Half into dividend stocks trying to get a yield of 3-4% and letting it reinvest in itself. One quarter into long term bonds. One quarter into a short selling portfolio.

That's pretty much what I told my dad, but my mom really doesn't understand stocks, or more, why you'd risk your money like that. As soon as I told her there's a chance that you might lose on the investment she started saying it didn't sound like a good idea, haha. But my dad is a pretty level-headed guy, and understands the basics of stocks, so we'll see where we go with it. And by short selling portfolio are you referring to short sales on homes or ... ?

Also, what dividend stocks would you guys recommend? Is there a database somewhere that provides a look into dividend stocks and the historical "winners" ?

that is quite an exposure to risk, especially in these times .

it depends on the risk profile of the person.

Honestly for that kind of amounts and if you have little experience (saying you ask on a gaming forum how to invest) I would advise to seek professional help or relay on funds with good rating and medium/low risks.
You can then keep a part to "experiment"

Zyzyxxz

That's pretty much what I told my dad, but my mom really doesn't understand stocks, or more, why you'd risk your money like that. As soon as I told her there's a chance that you might lose on the investment she started saying it didn't sound like a good idea, haha. But my dad is a pretty level-headed guy, and understands the basics of stocks, so we'll see where we go with it. And by short selling portfolio are you referring to short sales on homes or ... ?

Also, what dividend stocks would you guys recommend? Is there a database somewhere that provides a look into dividend stocks and the historical "winners" ?

In terms of dividend stocks there are quite a few bargains out there right now but you could always devote a good portion to staple stocks like IBM, Cisco, GE, AT&T etc those are companies that are bulletproof and have a history of consistent dividend payouts then you can portion a smaller bit of that money toward high yield dividend stocks many which are at all time lows right now but that would require active monitoring since they are much more susceptible to market swings.

As the other poster said above, seek a professional because you probably look like a fool with all that money.

In terms of dividend stocks there are quite a few bargains out there right now but you could always devote a good portion to staple stocks like IBM, Cisco, GE, AT&T etc those are companies that are bulletproof and have a history of consistent dividend payouts then you can portion a smaller bit of that money toward high yield dividend stocks many which are at all time lows right now but that would require active monitoring since they are much more susceptible to market swings.

As the other poster said above, seek a professional because you probably look like a fool with all that money.

No doubt. I'm not going to turn into a financial wiz by reading a few blogs or ebooks, so I'm definitely urging my pops to seek professional help. He's just so old school. He just wants to invest in real estate, but I keep telling him it's not really the best way to turn at this point in time. And of course, placing all of our eggs in one basket would be insanity. I know that diversifying one's portfolio is generally pretty good practice, but other than a 401k my mom and dad haven't built up much of a portfolio at all. I guess its time to start looking for someone to help us manage this. Thanks guys.

Zyzyxxz

No doubt. I'm not going to turn into a financial wiz by reading a few blogs or ebooks, so I'm definitely urging my pops to seek professional help. He's just so old school. He just wants to invest in real estate, but I keep telling him it's not really the best way to turn at this point in time. And of course, placing all of our eggs in one basket would be insanity. I know that diversifying one's portfolio is generally pretty good practice, but other than a 401k my mom and dad haven't built up much of a portfolio at all. I guess its time to start looking for someone to help us manage this. Thanks guys.

LOL real estate is a joke. Especially with $500K. My dad's friend has an investor coming over from China with $2 billion in USD for investments. That is how you force the market to change according to your plans.

With money you have the advantage of liquidity, you can pull out your money for the most part when things go sour unlike real estate.

The thing is you have a decent chunk of money but not enough to find a easy going investment where you put your money in and never look again. You got to work your money and not expect the money to work for you yet at this stage. Play your cards right and you could be seeing nice consistent growth over the years.

LOL real estate is a joke. Especially with $500K. My dad's friend has an investor coming over from China with $2 billion in USD for investments. That is how you force the market to change according to your plans.

With money you have the advantage of liquidity, you can pull out your money for the most part when things go sour unlike real estate.

The thing is you have a decent chunk of money but not enough to find a easy going investment where you put your money in and never look again. You got to work your money and not expect the money to work for you yet at this stage. Play your cards right and you could be seeing nice consistent growth over the years.
That's exactly what I told him. Flipping short sale houses is what's on his mind but I have been adamantly opposing that since day one. My sister also happens to be dating some dude who's in real estate / insurance so they're all up on my dad "making plans" and scouting houses already. I'm away from home for training so I can't really keep an eye on it right now, so I just gotta hope he doesn't do anything major while I'm gone.

Put simply my parents always had the train of thought that you had to just work hard for a lot of years to live comfortably once old .... they never really thought about putting their money to work for them. That's where I'm trying to steer them to.

faridmon

I would like to know too but I want to know does UK have a dominant player in the streaming market?

I think Netflix at ~66 is a good low to buy on but I'm not risking getting back into it again without a good idea.

I am not an invester, but I live in UK and I have to say that Netflix came way too late since Lovefilm is doing what Netflix is doing with way more marketing injucted nto it in the last year or so. The movie selection is not good, but I say, that Netflix will have a great competition.

I am not an invester, but I live in UK and I have to say that Netflix came way too late since Lovefilm is doing what Netflix is doing with way more marketing injucted nto it in the last year or so. The movie selection is not good, but I say, that Netflix will have a great competition.

important thing for those who don't know lovefilm :

Lovefilm == Amazon => a big player .

IT is going to be tough for netflix in UK

What the hell is going on with AMR? Am i missing something?

It's up over 200% since the chapter11 sell off. Why are so many people buying when the stock will eventually be wiped out as they emerge from Ch11?

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler

I'm going to challenge this a bit.

I'd stay away from long term bonds. Interest rates are going to rise and when they do, long bonds will get crushed. I'd stay short duration on the fixed income side.

Alternatively, I'd go almost 100% into a well diversified blue chip dividend paying stock portfolio, perhaps expanding beyond the US and holding high quality Canadian and Australian dividend payers.

The rationale being that yields on stocks are excellent, there is still some tax advantage to dividend income over interest income, and interest rates will be turning up at some point which limits the upside and increases risk on the bond portfolio.

Anno

Got a nice ~12% dividend increase today in GE and another ~5% in WM. GE now yielding 7.6% on my average buy in price!

Zyzyxxz

Got a nice ~12% dividend increase today in GE and another ~5% in WM. GE now yielding 7.6% on my average buy in price!

Nice! I'm hoping I'll have enough money eventually to have a nice blue chip portfolio which good dividends in a few years.

TylerD

Ford announced the return of a .05 dividend in March 2012 yesterday. Shame about the European situation because Ford's sales have been great.

Anno

Nice! I'm hoping I'll have enough money eventually to have a nice blue chip portfolio which good dividends in a few years.

Start early, even if it's not a lot. I started my portfolio with about $4,000. Just make sure it's money you probably won't need in the near future. Compounding gains and dividends work best over the long term, even if it's from a small base.

Ovid

Build-a-Bear Workshop (BBW) has been berry berry good to me. Up 41% with it. Been holding it for almost two years now and always thought it was great underappreciated growth stock. When I did a fundamental analysis on it I saw how little debt they had along with how much cash they had on hand.

My portfolio is pretty much based on that principle. High cash flow, very little debt and high dividend yields.

Zyzyxxz

Start early, even if it's not a lot. I started my portfolio with about $4,000. Just make sure it's money you probably won't need in the near future. Compounding gains and dividends work best over the long term, even if it's from a small base.

Yeah I know but I'm using my funds for short term trading for now.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm down 17% currently. Fucking markets. Better be doing better in the first half of next year cause I'm buying my condo anyway.

Zyzyxxz

Oh man Asia is down due to North Korea! I'm really hoping a military action doesn't occur for the sake of innocents and my portfolio in a much smaller sense.

TylerD

Let's go bulls! clap clap clapclapclap

Everything is fine now, the Euro problems are all behind us and there will definitely not be any bad news coming out of Europe for the next day or so.

Up up up!

Zyzyxxz

Let's go bulls! clap clap clapclapclap

Everything is fine now, the Euro problems are all behind us and there will definitely not be any bad news coming out of Europe for the next day or so.

Up up up!

haha man I'm so tired of all the swing seems the last 30 days has been constant will she or won't she kind of deal.

RotBot

Does Google Finance not handle symbol changes in a portfolio well, or is there just a lag?

This morning, I saw ERTS go down to 0.00 because they changed to EA. Now it's been updated to EA, but my performance graph acts as if I didn't own any EA stock until yesterday. Is this going to get fixed eventually or do I have to add some fake transactions to get things looking right?

I had to do that when one of my stocks had a reverse split and it showed the value going up 10-fold. A month later, it was fixed, and I had to edit the transaction again.

Rubenov

Started trading options, I'm down 70% on some AMZN $185 calls expiring on 21 Jan.

I'm down 5,000 bucks. I can barely sleep or think about much else. If there is anyone that has a repair strategy for this I'm very interested.

Ovid

Started trading options, I'm down 70% on some AMZN $185 calls expiring on 21 Jan.

I'm down 5,000 bucks. I can barely sleep or think about much else. If there is anyone that has a repair strategy for this I'm very interested.

Damn dude. If your a beginner at trading options why would you risk so much? If you can't think of anything else besides your (current) loss then you put up way too much money.

I've been trading stocks for about seven years now and I literally just bought my first call options two weeks ago. I didn't risk much because I knew I was a beginner.

Zyzyxxz

sorry to hear that man but there is no quick repair just got to rebuild your portfolio.

Rubenov

Yeah I risked way too much.

Can't believe AMZN stock can't catch a break even though they're having their best holiday season ever.

I was planning on selling calls against it, but that still makes me nervous. If I miss-time the sale of calls I can get in even worse condition, or if I do it right can recover most of my losses.

Don't know how else to do it other than waiting. Fucking calls man.

Ovid

Can't believe AMZN stock can't catch a break even though they're having their best holiday season ever.

I was planning on selling calls against it, but that still makes me nervous. If I miss-time the sale of calls I can get in even worse condition, or if I do it right can recover most of my losses.

I wouldn't do calls against it. January is such a toss up. Th euro debt crisis has been out of the news for the past week and a half but nothing has been fixed. Holiday sales numbers were good but this news won't have a lasting effect on the markets.

Short term calls are just way too risky right now.

Don't sell the calls naked. Even though I think amazon is richly valued and won't go a lot higher.

LegoDad

Guessing the game ended, I was just actually starting to play again, forgot about the portfolio, and I'm up 25% in the last two days.. lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yep it's over. I won't start one soon because I'm leaving for vacation in February.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Just saying I'm not starting a new one, so if anyone wants to go ahead:)

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
In a fun sidenote when Zynga IPO popped up I was about to invest $5000 in it. Holy shit I am glad I didn't. I was one click away from the Buy button and refrained myself to see how it played. Gut feelings... fuck yeah!

Zyzyxxz

In a fun sidenote when Zynga IPO popped up I was about to invest $5000 in it. Holy shit I am glad I didn't. I was one click away from the Buy button and refrained myself to see how it played. Gut feelings... fuck yeah!

I never want to even consider it in the first place. More interested in seeing how Facebook's IPO goes.

CFMOORE!

i dove in with a $500 investment for fun, see if i could just make a couple hundred bucks off a quick sale. just sold it yesterday with a $2 loss when all was said and done. that was a fun $2 to spend.

a coworker went $10k and ended up losing about $500 when he sold.

RotBot

When a stock consistently performs the reverse of which way the market goes daily, does it mean it's being heavily shorted?

Anno

So, investinGAF, how did 2011 treat you? With dividends reinvested I ended up 5.1% ahead for the year. Not awesome, but also not terrible. I slept well at least.

Also, what are people looking at for 2012? Currently I have my eyes on Teva, waiting for pullbacks in IBM and VFC.

RevoDS

Including dividends, my portfolio is up 11.28% in 2011. Without dividends, that return drops to 8.39%. And although I can't calculate my return on them as easily, the WMT shares I'm holding in a separate portfolio have done really well since bottoming in August, and seem nearly ready to break out.

Although I should note I didn't start investing until late in June, when the market was hitting its first bottom.

Quite decent, I'm fairly happy with that performance. Looking forward to 2012!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Placed a sell order at market price for tomorrow, selling all my XOM shares for a 15% profit, which is what I was originally aiming for. Will buy again if there is a strong dip in the future. Might put that money in BHI tomorrow.

Top Bottom