• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

RevoDS

I'm a bit disappointed by the market's reaction; I thought it'd rise more than 1-2%. Guess it really was priced in already.

On the other hand, I'm really happy with my 3.2% yield on cost on top of that rising share price.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a bit disappointed by the market's reaction; I thought it'd rise more than 1-2%. Guess it really was priced in already.

On the other hand, I'm really happy with my 3.2% yield on cost on top of that rising share price.

That is about what I calculated on mine as well. Its just bonus for me since when I bought I didn't have an expectation that they would be beginning dividends any time soon.

Zyzyxxz

Aftermarket hours for Apple looks like its continuing the uptrend. I'm sure we'll hit 650 by summer now that the 600 resistance might have been broken (crosses fingers).

Piecake

Well, Im never going to try to time the market ever again. I was so sure that the market would rebound in december and then tank hardcore this year. Boy, was I wrong.

Bah, just going to go the safe and easy route of buying at set time intervals from now on

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
It all depends on the earnings...

they sold 3 million of the new iPad in 4 days (original took a month to get to a million). Earnings will be fine this quarter. And while they made no mention of $399 iPad 2 sales numbers, they will crush come holiday time.

They may take a hit in mac's since they have slowed updates people have been waiting for, but that is a small part of their earnings now I believe.

edit: <15%, iPad at 20% earnings and growing Q1 2012.

Well, Im never going to try to time the market ever again. I was so sure that the market would rebound in december and then tank hardcore this year. Boy, was I wrong.

Bah, just going to go the safe and easy route of buying at set time intervals from now on

The market is still flowing with hopium, so the tanking hasn't started yet. AAPL is at the forefront of this frenzy.

Piecake

The market is still flowing with hopium, so the tanking hasn't started yet. AAPL is at the forefront of this frenzy.

Yea, Im still waiting to seriously get in considering that the austerity measueres in Europe havent kicked in yet and China seems to be losing steam. And my pride doesnt seem to allow me to admit that im wrong (lol)

Thatll probably backfire though and itll keep on getting higher and higher and Ill eventually go in at the high point. Only then will the market crash

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
STP ended up 14%, due to lower-than-expected U.S. import duties.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Since I'm likely delaying a condo or house purchase to some unknown future date (I'll wait till I'm likely to have kids, I'm currently single), I'll move into a cooperative since it's cheaper and higher quality than what I can rent for the same price.

Until I buy, what should I invest in if I want as high of a return as possible, with minimal risk? I'm still putting money in my 401k, but I already reached the limit I could use from it without getting taxed for a condo or house purchase. So where should I put the rest of the money?

Rubenov

Since I'm likely delaying a condo or house purchase to some unknown future date (I'll wait till I'm likely to have kids, I'm currently single), I'll move into a cooperative since it's cheaper and higher quality than what I can rent for the same price.

Until I buy, what should I invest in if I want as high of a return as possible, with minimal risk? I'm still putting money in my 401k, but I already reached the limit I could use from it without getting taxed for a condo or house purchase. So where should I put the rest of the money?

If you want really good safety without having the money stagnate in a safety account, I would play either JNK / HYG. Both over 7% annual yield paid monthly. It's a nice addition to a paycheck and lets you sleep well at night.

Zyzyxxz

If you want really good safety without having the money stagnate in a safety account, I would play either JNK / HYG. Both over 7% annual yield paid monthly. It's a nice addition to a paycheck and lets you sleep well at night.

Wow those are great HYG especially since it has been consistent with the interest despite the 2008 recession dips.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

That looks good, thanks.

My portfolio is down almost 16%. Only ADSK (+26%) and gold (+6%) are up.

ERTS is sort of interesting at the current price, but I'm hesitant due to the state of the economy and also uncertain about the near future of games, a lot is blurry right now.

Cloudy

Banned

JNK has the better expense ratio. I own that over HYG

Ovid

That looks good, thanks.

My portfolio is down almost 16%. Only ADSK (+26%) and gold (+6%) are up.

ERTS is sort of interesting at the current price, but I'm hesitant due to the state of the economy and also uncertain about the near future of games, a lot is blurry right now.

How are you down so much still in this market?

Zyzyxxz

Alright dipping my feet into STVF with a few hundred shares, will buy more once I see how support levels are.

Even though its an OTC stock I'm feeling good about it since they are going to be the first growing of the stevia plant in the US and the product itself is growing at a double digit pace.

Ashhong

Hey stock-GAF, noob here. My gf is interested in buying some stocks just for fun really. She wants to buy JP Morgan Chase and Yelp. I convinced her not to get Yelp based on several articles I've read, and to instead try Zynga.

What say you guys?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
How are you down so much still in this market?

Took some profits, and the main reason I'm down is because of STP and SWY. They are just sitting there.

I just looked at Lions Gate because of Hunger Games success, they have been doing pretty damn well recently.

nemesun

I have a quick question regarding bonds. Since the long-term bonds are more volatile in price than shorter-term bonds, and lower coupon bonds are more volatile than higher coupon bonds. Which is the best bond to purchase assuming interest rates will rise in the next 12 months? A 5% bond maturing in 5 years or 6% bond maturing in 10?

Anno

I'd stick to shorter maturaties if you want to hold single bonds. If you expect the Fed to raise rates any time soon you might be better off out of bonds or with a more diversified fund though. I think most people expect bonds to take a beating at some point soon.

Are you in looking into bonds for capital appareciation/preservation or simply for the coupon?

Gallbaro

Banned
Hey stock-GAF, noob here. My gf is interested in buying some stocks just for fun really. She wants to buy JP Morgan Chase and Yelp. I convinced her not to get Yelp based on several articles I've read, and to instead try Zynga.

What say you guys?

Retail is back? Look out below!

nemesun

I'd stick to shorter maturaties if you want to hold single bonds. If you expect the Fed to raise rates any time soon you might be better off out of bonds or with a more diversified fund though. I think most people expect bonds to take a beating at some point soon.

Are you in looking into bonds for capital appareciation/preservation or simply for the coupon?

Thanks for answering my question mate, I'm deciding between a 5 years bond and a 10 years one. My intent is to hold on to it for at least a year and then sell it off, but from what I'm hearing interest rates might rise in the next 12 months so not sure which one to get.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Bought some EA, I think the price is low enough to get a decent return.

Anno

Thanks for answering my question mate, I'm deciding between a 5 years bond and a 10 years one. My intent is to hold on to it for at least a year and then sell it off, but from what I'm hearing interest rates might rise in the next 12 months so not sure which one to get.

I'm not a bond expert by any means, or someone certified in giving out financial advise, but this seems more than a little risky to me. When rates begin to rise the market value of what you can sell that bond for is probably going to get hammered. Obviously it depends on what type of bond it is, but I think buying in at a historically high period for the fixed income market with the intent to preserve or make capital appreciation might be a bit dicey. I'd honestly think you'd be better off buying and holding a quality dividend stock paying about the same (maybe T or WM) and selling that in a year. Less interest rate risk and if you decide to hold on for longer you'll likely see a raise of those dividends that outpaces inflation.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah...I wish I had enough to buy any significant amount of that. :/

IDK, I would probably avoid that like the plague. All analysts are indicating to sell or strong sell. No one is even mentioning a hold even.

Quoting this cause it was in related to Aeropostale showing on the top of my "buy now" list. It is up 25% since. Too bad I didn't buy it:p

It's now showing up in second on the list, with Potash Corp in first. EA was in third, so I bought it since I understand that market better.

Anno

The adage is that once small (retail) investors become interested in buying into the market it's time to sell. Basically saying once your parents think something is cool it's probably overplayed.

As to your original question, JPM is likely a good long term investment. Decent dividend, top-tier management and increasingly good underlying business factors.

I'm less convinced about Zynga. Whether it goes up or down it'll be volatile and, like any recent tech IPO, it could easily get crushed with just one bad quarter. So long as she has the fortitude to not sell into a surprise 20% sell off it might make her something. I think there are many better options, though.

Zyzyxxz

Woot, my gamble so far is paying off. Stevia First Corp., my OTC stock exploded today.

Bought in twice at 1.28 and 1.57 and its going to break $2 soon. Damn thinking of buying more but might wait for a pullback since I am long on this.

Anno

Eh...any stock that's run up 75% in 3 months isn't something I want to get into. Especially when it's as poorly run as BAC. Obviously there's no way to know for sure, but I'm nearly certain you'll be able to pick it up for substantially less sometime later in the year.

Rubenov

Eh...any stock that's run up 75% in 3 months isn't something I want to get into. Especially when it's as poorly run as BAC. Obviously there's no way to know for sure, but I'm nearly certain you'll be able to pick it up for substantially less sometime later in the year.

Yeah but that run up happened after it went from ~15 to 5. I wouldn't be so sure it will get cheaper, but also can't say it's going higher. Looks like consolidation around these levels.

Woot, my gamble so far is paying off. Stevia First Corp., my OTC stock exploded today.

Bought in twice at 1.28 and 1.57 and its going to break $2 soon. Damn thinking of buying more but might wait for a pullback since I am long on this.

Man... i was this close to jumping in today. Checked the ticker after the gym and just shook my head :/

I await a pullback!

Zyzyxxz

Man... i was this close to jumping in today. Checked the ticker after the gym and just shook my head :/

I await a pullback!

I did a double take when I saw it hit 1.90's since 2 hours earlier I had barely bought my second batch at 1.57. I haven't felt this confident about a stock in such a long time, considering once their first crop of stevia goes to harvest they will have a monopoloy on domestic stevia growth until competitors catch on.

Looks like BAC dropped today, you guys think this is a sign? Or maybe a good time to buy a little?

Hard to say, I may sell to cover if it climbs close to 10 again.

Ashhong

The adage is that once small (retail) investors become interested in buying into the market it's time to sell. Basically saying once your parents think something is cool it's probably overplayed.

As to your original question, JPM is likely a good long term investment. Decent dividend, top-tier management and increasingly good underlying business factors.

I'm less convinced about Zynga. Whether it goes up or down it'll be volatile and, like any recent tech IPO, it could easily get crushed with just one bad quarter. So long as she has the fortitude to not sell into a surprise 20% sell off it might make her something. I think there are many better options, though.

Ah, I get it, thanks. Makes sense lol

Good to know about JPM, though that other bank you guys were talking about sounds good too, HBAN.

She does realize that the one thing she cant do is sell when things go down. She's not investing a lot at all. Only 600 total between all companies, it's mostly just for fun. If not Zynga, then who are your better options?

Anno

Ah, I get it, thanks. Makes sense lol

Good to know about JPM, though that other bank you guys were talking about sounds good too, HBAN.

She does realize that the one thing she cant do is sell when things go down. She's not investing a lot at all. Only 600 total between all companies, it's mostly just for fun. If not Zynga, then who are your better options?

I guess it really depends what she wants out of this. If it's $600 just to play with, then maybe taking a flyer on some high-risk bet might be what she wants. I don't really follow that side of things, though.

If it's $600 she wants to use to begin a long-term investment that she'll add to over time, say for retirement or investing to buy a house later, then there are plenty of options. With that amount of money most people are going to suggest she buy an ETF, which is a fund of a larger number of stocks. Your entire investment in one or two companies is more risky than having it spread over 30-500 of them. I personally began my investing with a small amount of money and just two stocks and grew it from there, so I'm not necessarily in that camp.

Personally I think that the entire market is a little overblown at the moment. Whether or not it really pulls back in the next 3-5 months is anyone's guess, but I wouldn't be at all surprised. We've had a great run since October, even since the beginning of this year. Nevertheless there might be a couple stocks left at decent prices.

JCI - Levered to three important and growing industries (car sales, energy-efficient building retrofits, old and new car batteries). A good mixture between growth (company expects to grow revenue and profits 10-15% a year at least) and safety, with a decent dividend that they usually towards the end of the year. The stock took a hit several months ago when they revised their yearly forecasts down a bit due to the European situation, but they're still forecasting great growth. The stock is cheap in a world with increasing car sales. Could get punished if another recession comes on though.

PM - Has been a high flyer recently but I expect it to hold up or continue advancing. Great growth in virtually all important overseas markets, no exposure at all to the American tobacco market, good dividend that's increased religiously. One of my largest holdings and something that I'll probably keep reinvesting in forever as an eventual cash cow.

Mostly she'll have to decide what kind of investor she wants to be. There are plenty of options for everyone, so long as they know what they're getting into and have a strategy to get in and out.

Does anyone holding/buying any media companies that offer video streaming services e.g. Netflix or Comcast? As more and more buy into this services, growth in this business should be good, no? My concern is the razor thin profit margin of the nature of the business, which may not translate into substantial gain in share prices.

Zyzyxxz

How I feel about STVF exploding today:
0381dcd29fb16d20a3a9ef8486bcc2e1.png

RevoDS

Does anyone holding/buying any media companies that offer video streaming services e.g. Netflix or Comcast? As more and more buy into this services, growth in this business should be good, no? My concern is the razor thin profit margin of the nature of the business, which may not translate into substantial gain in share prices.

It all depends on your risk tolerance; while yes, revenue growth is pretty impressive with NFLX, it's pretty risky at the moment due to all the content negociations due soon. As you said, its margins are quite thin already, and will in all likelihood drop even more as content acquisition costs explode.

If it ever grows enough to have significant bargaining power over the content providers then margins will end up expanding and it will be a great play. But it's just as likely that it'll have to accept unsustainable terms for content because its business is fundamentally dependent on said content, and in such a case it might be a terrible decision.

Personally, I wouldn't buy in, and certainly not after the huge run up in price it's had in the last couple months. It's got tremendous potential, but it could also be killed by the challenges it's facing.

Comcast, on the other hand, faces the same challenges with its streaming business, but the risks are hedged by its solid cable and media businesses, making it a much safer bet regardless of what happens.

What the fuck is going on with STVF????

100% in 24hours... How does that even happen. This makes no sense to me lol.

So much for a pull back :/

Zyzyxxz

So I ended up selling to cover my initial shares.

What's the story behind the gain??

So I was researching into IPSU due to the rising prices of sugar I thought it might be a good buy but that led into looking up this plant called Stevia which is being touted as a miracle sweetener, like Splenda is it zero calorie but unlike it is all natural.

STVF is going to be the first agricultural grower of this crop in the United States and the projected market for it in the USA should reach a billion by 2014. So I think there is still room to get in and make some money but hard to say, I saw resistance throughout the day but the support is crazy here. I'm going long with the shares I didn't sell.

So my friend is thinking of buying some stocks and wants to do it through Merrill Lynch, I guess he gets some kind of benefit from being a BofA employee. Anyways he was just wonder if that would be a good choice or if he should go else where.

Ashhong

I guess it really depends what she wants out of this. If it's $600 just to play with, then maybe taking a flyer on some high-risk bet might be what she wants. I don't really follow that side of things, though.

If it's $600 she wants to use to begin a long-term investment that she'll add to over time, say for retirement or investing to buy a house later, then there are plenty of options. With that amount of money most people are going to suggest she buy an ETF, which is a fund of a larger number of stocks. Your entire investment in one or two companies is more risky than having it spread over 30-500 of them. I personally began my investing with a small amount of money and just two stocks and grew it from there, so I'm not necessarily in that camp.

Personally I think that the entire market is a little overblown at the moment. Whether or not it really pulls back in the next 3-5 months is anyone's guess, but I wouldn't be at all surprised. We've had a great run since October, even since the beginning of this year. Nevertheless there might be a couple stocks left at decent prices.

JCI - Levered to three important and growing industries (car sales, energy-efficient building retrofits, old and new car batteries). A good mixture between growth (company expects to grow revenue and profits 10-15% a year at least) and safety, with a decent dividend that they usually towards the end of the year. The stock took a hit several months ago when they revised their yearly forecasts down a bit due to the European situation, but they're still forecasting great growth. The stock is cheap in a world with increasing car sales. Could get punished if another recession comes on though.

PM - Has been a high flyer recently but I expect it to hold up or continue advancing. Great growth in virtually all important overseas markets, no exposure at all to the American tobacco market, good dividend that's increased religiously. One of my largest holdings and something that I'll probably keep reinvesting in forever as an eventual cash cow.

Mostly she'll have to decide what kind of investor she wants to be. There are plenty of options for everyone, so long as they know what they're getting into and have a strategy to get in and out.

Awesome info, thanks!

And goddamn at that Stevia. I am going to jump in on this myself. zzyzzzzzz will it go down or should I jump in before it goes even higher?

Zyzyxxz

And goddamn at that Stevia. I am going to jump in on this myself. zzyzzzzzz will it go down or should I jump in before it goes even higher?

Don't want to tell you what to do since investing is always a risk. I stupidly sold out at 2.70ish when I thought it was going to pullback but I had no discipline. I ended up buying back in with the profit I made at 2.90 and it kept climbing to 3.24

So far its a straight gamble for me but I've been reading about Stevia products and my take is that the growth for this industry is guaranteed. First of all rich organic hipster nazis will jump on this like wildfire because of its all natural production in addition to those who don't want to use Splenda due to Aspartame.

I'll just let you know that I'm keep what shares I still have for a long time. This first crop of stevia plants they have is a monopoly on domestic agriculture business.

Zyzyxxz

My undergrad degree was in dietetics and I'm working on my PhD in food science now, if this means anything, but around the nutrition/dietetics circle here, stevia is generally seen as a fad. Personally, I see little chance for this to take off long-term, but that doesn't mean it's a bad investment right now/over the next couple years. Congrats on the success Zyzyxxz.

Oh yeah its a fad but its zero calories and when it comes to all natural people pay a premium.

Looks like there was a pullback today.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It's pretty obvious by now: high oil prices lead to contractions. Watch it happen again.

Top Bottom