• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Zyzyxxz

It's depressing bro.

I'd be dumping all of my income into it if I knew what I know now :(

Missed a cruise ship mang.

More like an ICBM.

Well its back below $500 but who know for how long, this Apple TV rumor seems to be strong and basically all but confirmed now.

Damn, last Wednesday when Apple hit $526 was insane. I was straight up about to cash out a few calls but was running late for class. By the time I got to school the damage was done; the stock was down over $30 in an hour! Rough day. Good thing they're for July so i still have time before expiry. I'm optimistic on the stock but will be very cautious; will take small profits here and there. Such a volatile few weeks it's been.
What's peoples take for the coming months on aapl? I feel it's going to hit the 550$ mark, but who knows when... After this week we know the stock is not untouchable

An acquaintance of mine day trades on the LSE, read a tip about a company called Legendary Investments PLC they only asked me because they've been investing a game from England called the Spire. There hasn't been a lot of news about it, nothing on GAF but there was this trailer.

Any advice? Raw games themselves seem to have a PC/Portal like demo in the Unreal Engine so. Potential for a console release. But their website is unprofessional (twitter, vimeo dead links) and no news since December. But they seem to be doing quite well in the last day or two. Looks like it could go nowhere but I have no idea.

Wouldn't normally ask but this is NeoGAF.

Zyzyxxz

Damn, last Wednesday when Apple hit $526 was insane. I was straight up about to cash out a few calls but was running late for class. By the time I got to school the damage was done; the stock was down over $30 in an hour! Rough day. Good thing they're for July so i still have time before expiry. I'm optimistic on the stock but will be very cautious; will take small profits here and there. Such a volatile few weeks it's been.
What's peoples take for the coming months on aapl? I feel it's going to hit the 550$ mark, but who knows when... After this week we know the stock is not untouchable

I'm loading up on a few more shares tomorrow if it stays at 500. I think 550 is probable, 600 is hopeful by summer but thats just me dreaming.

I want to see the effects of either a dividend in the most likely case or a split in the most unlikely case.

I'm loading up on a few more shares tomorrow if it stays at 500. I think 550 is probable, 600 is hopeful by summer but thats just me dreaming.

I want to see the effects of either a dividend in the most likely case or a split in the most unlikely case.

I'm thinking the same...

I bought a few shares when it dipped to the 490's

Zyzyxxz

Hmmmm good stock news for me.

But seriously Chinese customers are hungry as hell for iPhones, having personally seen the craze. If you head into Shenzhen (other side of the border with Hong Kong) which is one of electronics production capitals of China you see hundreds of stores claiming to be official Apple products distributors all selling iPad's and iPhone's. It's insane.

bwtw

Neo Member
For some it's luck, I call it probability. If you have technical indicators that have a history of being 70% right, It's all about losing very little in the 30% and making a lot in the 70%. The luck is being there for the really big moves, and getting out with the biggest gain after a trend is over.

Why are technical indicators useful? 'They have been useful in the past' is not a legitimate answer, it is fooled by randomness.

You don't seem to understand probability at all...

Flo_Evans

Any opinions on Bank of America? I've rode from $6.50 down to $5 and back up to $8.

Kind of want to get off and take some profit but not sure what I should get into right now... Everything seems kind of high. But wtf do I know lol.

Why are technical indicators useful? 'They have been useful in the past' is not a legitimate answer, it is fooled by randomness.

You don't seem to understand probability at all...

I feel that most people are very reliant on those technical indicators because they are the result of "math formulas" that they definitely do not understand. Sure they give historical indications as well as extrapolations as to how things are looking, but you can never know.

Because people are so reliant on the indicators they tend to be somewhat correct because people will adjust their buying and selling according to the indicators. Thoughts?

Ovid

Any opinions on Bank of America? I've rode from $6.50 down to $5 and back up to $8.

Kind of want to get off and take some profit but not sure what I should get into right now... Everything seems kind of high. But wtf do I know lol.
I'd say take some profits.

I bought some May calls in December and sold them for a 300% profit early last week.

I still have some 2014 calls that I'm gonna hold onto though.

I feel it'll definitely hit 550, only question is when... It went so fast from 420 to 500 I almost feel its time for a pullback, or at least a settling.
The good thing is that the stock trades at 9x earnings (whereas the average stock is around 15x) meaning theres plenty room to grow. Not to mention they're pretty much the most valuable company.

I think selling before the apple conference might be a decent move; no one is ever satisfied with what is announced and it drops hard. Then a few days later when people actually realize how good the products they announce are, the stock takes off.

Possibly longtime shareholders? But I don't know there are always idiots willing to part with their money.

I can't jump into Apple. Maybe I'm a fool.

-high P/E
-too poplar (as an investment)
-rapid, market-beating growth

This is the opposite of contrarian investing. Its coming late to the party, when everyone else has had their fill, and wasted. The morning after will be full of regret.

RevoDS

I can't jump into Apple. Maybe I'm a fool.

-high P/E
-too poplar (as an investment)
-rapid, market-beating growth

This is the opposite of contrarian investing. Its coming late to the party, when everyone else has had their fill, and wasted. The morning after will be full of regret.

I'll give you the last two, but in what universe does Apple have a high P/E? Its trailing P/E of 14 is below the S&P 500 average and its forward P/E is even lower, barely registering over 10. Its PEG is at 0.60 (conventional wisdom says a PEG under 1 means the company is undervalued)

And that's not even ex-cash.

Zyzyxxz

If you are in a large position I would sell to cover and buy back in on the dip, I feel that it's hitting resistance at $8 and a dip back to down 7 could be a good opportunity to buy back in but that's just me, I stopped playing the BAC game a few months ago, although my mother's portfolio is long on about 1000 shares of it @ $7 from months back.

I think selling before the apple conference might be a decent move; no one is ever satisfied with what is announced and it drops hard. Then a few days later when people actually realize how good the products they announce are, the stock takes off.

That's a good point but I think I may need to enable margin trading on my account before trying that, don't want to suffer from a 1-2 day swing since cash from stock trades takes 3 days to settle before I can use it again.

Then again I'd think I'd rather set an auto sell order at $500 and get back in at a cheaper price if it does fall. Hard to say but let's see how this week goes, if it climbs to 550 before the conference I might sell.

I'll give you the last two, but in what universe does Apple have a high P/E? Its trailing P/E of 14 is below the S&P 500 average and its forward P/E is even lower, barely registering over 10. Its PEG is at 0.60 (conventional wisdom says a PEG under 1 means the company is undervalued)

And that's not even ex-cash.

Its still too high for my blood, but maybe thats why I don't buy many tech stocks.

I still think you're paying a premium now for expected growth later, and I don't think that growth is sustainable.

RevoDS

Its still too high for my blood, but maybe thats why I don't buy many tech stocks.

I still think you're paying a premium now for expected growth later, and I don't think that growth is sustainable.

What stocks do you buy that have a P/E below 10? Only utilities and financials? Companies on the decline like RIM?

What stocks do you buy that have a P/E below 10? Only utilities and financials? Companies on the decline like RIM?

Forward P/E? I usually use trailing P/E because I'm more of a value investor, and yes I have bought some stocks at about 15 P/E but they're not the kind of stocks everyone and their barber are buying in droves.

Flo_Evans

If you are in a large position I would sell to cover and buy back in on the dip, I feel that it's hitting resistance at $8 and a dip back to down 7 could be a good opportunity to buy back in but that's just me, I stopped playing the BAC game a few months ago, although my mother's portfolio is long on about 1000 shares of it @ $7 from months back.
I only have 250 shares. Crap looks like it hit 8.20 but has fallen back to 8.10.

I think I will put a stop in @ 8.00

Omzz

I don't know shit about stocks, but i'm really interested to learn about it. I think my dad had bought in shares of Ford at 12.42. Not sure how much he had put in, but hopefully it does well.

Anyone else here buy in with Ford?

On Bernanke and the LTRO for Europe, more European banks jumped at the chance of some short-term aid, which of course is not good, and Bernanke signalled that there won't be Q3 easinig for now.

The motion is set for the market to come off and stay off its highs for a while. The dollar will be gaining for a while, and as I predicted, the EURUSD almost got to 1.35 before continuing it's course down. We are at 1.3377 right now. The daily chart is going red today, and if we follow by the weekly, 1.27 Euro is not too far off.

Tomorrow we'll get a decision by the ISDA on whether Greece had a default or not. They are expected to say it was all voluntary, but if today's momentum keeps going, or if there is a surprise, we are on for a good ride.

I would be careful with equities right now.

Zyzyxxz

Yes Apple is a beast, despite tech sector being red today Apple gains again and we are heading very close to $550 territory.

Zyzyxxz

Anybody been looking at Fortinet (FTNT)?

I'm thinking they are going to be my newest long term stock.

Nope but was just going over their financials now that you mention it, last 4 yours consistently growing at a good rate, looks to be a good one.

I might wait for a pullback.

Has anybody figured out any sort of weakness you guys have when it comes to trading?

Mine hit me today like a ton of bricks, and I hate myself whenever it happens. I have a hard time sticking to my strategy when it comes to getting out of a trade. I have clear signals for when to get in or out of trades, and they are based on daily charts. Any trade can go on for days, but my problem has been that if the trade has gone my way, and I feel like I have made "enough" I rather get out and have that peace of mind. Since I do currencies, there is added stress that you could be sound asleep and the whole trade just turns against you.

I had sold the EUR/USD at 1.3397 and after in lingered at 1.3310 for almost an entire day, I sold it, expecting a pullback (to sell again). In wanting to avoid any stress of looking at that pullback on the screen (potentially putting me in the red), and the idea that heck, it's Friday, the week is over anyways, I got out to rest. Turns out I missed a 100 pip move overnight, which would have meant another 10% gain on my account in a few hours. It's at 1.3192 right now so yeah...

This always happens to me on a Friday, but I have to learn my lesson, and it is to detach myself from staring at the screen the whole day, and let the trade run. The old addage is very true, and it is that you only make as much money from trading as you limit yourself to. Thankfully lessons today mean a lot of money in the future.

I know what you mean about trying to obtain piece of mind Sanky Panky. I am only in stocks right now but sometimes the pre-market and extended hours trading will cause me to get up earlier or stay around a lil longer. Thankfully I have not been too devastated by some of the swings that can happen over night.

Anywho, it looks like YELP debuted on the market today. This should be fun to watch.

Zyzyxxz

I know what you mean about trying to obtain piece of mind Sanky Panky. I am only in stocks right now but sometimes the pre-market and extended hours trading will cause me to get up earlier or stay around a lil longer. Thankfully I have not been too devastated by some of the swings that can happen over night.

Anywho, it looks like YELP debuted on the market today. This should be fun to watch.

I didn't even know it was coming out today, I would have tried to get in the IPO if I had known earlier.

The company hasn't even become profitable yet though so I'm wary of it as with the Groupon IPO.

Zyzyxxz

Long-term looks good though since China Unicom confirmed they will sell the iPhone whenever it gets LTE which should be soon. Considering they already have 15 million unlocked iPhones and over 600 million subscribers I think its going to be good.

There is not much fanfare out there, but the events of this week could change the global financial market for Credit Default Swaps.

Greece (unless there is a delay) will say if the haircut deal passes or not on Thursday. 20% of the owners of the bonds say they agree (these are the banks), but finally hedge funds will have their time to shine and reject the deal. If Greece does attain the 75% approval, and the hedge funds are forced to take the the haircut, the next step is for them to take it to the ISDA to claim that this was a credit event. The main purpose of hedge funds owning Greek debt is to claim the "insurance" they have paid for.

If the ISDA rules that this was NOT a credit event, the CDS market will implode, as there are no future guarantees that the CDS protect against anything, since governments can make up the rules as they go.

Regardless of the decision from Greece or the ISDA, the markets will be really jumpy. Any rumor will set the thing off, but I'm betting on a further plunge of the markets (and EUR/USD).

On a further note, if no deal is reached at all (unlikely) the aid to Greece is cancelled, and we have a default party March 20th.

Rubenov

Sold almost all of my stocks today, now I only have QCOR and BHI remaining, both underwater.

At the same time, sold a bunch of puts on the dip. After I get rid of my remaining stocks' shares I can dedicate myself to put selling fo life. That and vertical bear call spreads + straight put buying for when times get rough.

To hell with owning stocks, bunch of bs.

TylerD

FUCK! Down about 10-15% in all my positions over the past several days. I dont have any extra funds to buy on the bottom so I am just going to ride it out, however long that takes.

CFMOORE!

what are the thoughts on First Solar? They're down a lot and currently one of the bigger solar boys hurting, but I feel like it could be a buy at its low price tag right now. I don't dabble too much in Solar but I still feel like it is a tech not going away and First Solar trade as high as $300 a few years ago.

Anno

I half expect First Solar to be near bankruptcy soon. I wouldn't touch it with my worst enemy's money. Not when there are so many companies that are so much more profitable and well run trading at good values.

Rubenov

what are the thoughts on First Solar? They're down a lot and currently one of the bigger solar boys hurting, but I feel like it could be a buy at its low price tag right now. I don't dabble too much in Solar but I still feel like it is a tech not going away and First Solar trade as high as $300 a few years ago.

Don't be fooled b/c it was over $300 a while back. Germany was the biggest proponent of solar energy, and they are cutting back on it + cutting back on subsidies. Chinese solar companies are doing stuff cheaper and hurting First Solar.

Also, they delayed opening of a new plant, suspended operations on others, and cut back on a slew of business essentials as reported today.

Margins turned to shit as evidenced by their last earnings report and are getting worse.

Basically, FS will likely be in the teens sometime this year, and eventual bankruptcy is becoming more likely. It reached $300 on the back of Obama subsidy support, which you can kiss goodbye.

One of the most riskiest investments out there; I just lost about $700 on short puts on it thinking it was close to the bottom.

Amory

I'm really tempted to buy Nokia, which is hovering around $5. From what I've read they still have a ton of cash stockpiled and they're in no real danger of going under, and they're starting to try to venture back out into the US market with the Lumia 900, which is really a beautiful, powerful phone.

Obviously WP7 isn't much of a contender right now, but even if the market share only increases slightly and the Lumia is the best selling phone featuring the OS...I can see growth potential.

Top Bottom