• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

rage1973

I bought 100 shares of AAPL at 162 today. It went down some more so I bought 50 more at 158.20. I am hoping to get a boost on the stock and holding into their earnings.

argon

Cheesemeister said:
NTDOY is down about $5 today.

It's due to foreign exchange fluctuations, as well as the overall market yesterday. Nintendo's last earnings revision pointed to an assumed exchange rate of 115 yen to the dollar, while the current rate is 107.27 (but yesterday it dropped to a 2 1/2 year low of ~106). Investors are spooked that continued strengthening of the yen may cut into Nintendo's earnings, causing them to miss expectations. I wouldn't fret it since Nintendo's estimates are usually very conservative.

If you're worried though, you could always hedge it by buying some FXY shares, which track the yen's rate vs. the dollar. Also, keep in mind that any foreign exchange losses should be mitigated by the fact that the NTDOY.PK ADR is denominated in dollars but represents 1/8 of a full Japanese 7974.OS share, so ideally its value should increase as the dollar weakens (e.g. at 100 yen = 1USD, today's value for NTDOY.PK would be ~$67.25).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Based on the low AH trading of INTC I think I'm right, it will continue to go down some. I'll be waiting, and the same goes for NVDA.

DCO gained back some of its losses. The thing is, right now with INTC/NVDA ahead of the my list I don't think I'll be able to invest in aerospace soon, and yesterday's drop for no apparent reason makes this one more confusing than it should be:|

Tomorrow is NPD day right? Gotta keep my money INTC, but it should be good for at least ATVI. UBI dropped 4% today. Assassin's Creed has been selling very very well, so I think NPD will be in their favor. It dropped almost 15 euros in like two weeks, could be a good opportunity. I think the delays of FarCry 2, Splinter Cell and Brothers in Arms is what caused the drop. R6 Vegas 2 and Haze this spring.

EDIT: About railroads sector; a lot of companies are reporting earnings on Jan 22.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080116/railroads_sector_preview.html?.v=1
Railroad earnings reports will kick off with Jacksonville, Fla.-based CSX Corp., Norfolk Southern Corp. and Canadian National Railway, which all report fourth-quarter and full-year results on Jan 22.

Maybe some good opportunities if the values fall a bit afterwards.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ATVI will probably go up because they'll most likely raise their forecast like they did once already (which caused the shares to go up). NPD itself might not, but I expect the higher forecast soon.

DCO I'll keep an eye on, I'm just gonna go for INTC first. CNI second maybe, gotta check how the railroads could do in the next months or if demand will continue to lower.

Anyone knows when NVDA should release its next earnings?

Jackl

You know cats out of the bag when Cramer admits alot of Financial books are cooked. Now for the impending credit crunch to bring down the rest of the market. Yay <3

Bernanke and Congress can talk about a stimulus package all they want, still won't improve matters that a large portion of loans: subprime, prime, AAA, insured, mortgage, cars, whatever are all worth less then the paper they're printed on.

gkryhewy

Soka said:
I'm contemplating selling out on a lot of my stocks that I've made good profits on and just jumping back in later on when the credit crunch or any other such crap stops taking things down so far. I hate to jump ship just because everyone else is, but man, I also hate losing money. Makes the game slightly less fun!

I don't own anything right now except $2500 in one mutual fund (JSVAX), and I regret owning that too.

Jackl

Miroku said:
I don't know about you guys but I feel like the world is ending.

World isn't ending, just the end of another credit cycle. Supposed to happen every 60-80 years. Basically consumer spending, speculation, and debt run themselves into the ground. Meanwhile taking a percentage of banks down with them that played with the money too much.

Human nature really.

Miroku

Jackl said:
World isn't ending, just the end of another credit cycle. Supposed to happen every 60-80 years. Basically consumer spending, speculation, and debt run themselves into the ground. Meanwhile taking a percentage of banks down with them that played with the money too much.

Human nature really.

Thank you, I can come out of the fetal position now. Question is, when to buy big? When will the S&P bottom out?
I wish I had a crystal ball.

gkryhewy

Jackl said:
World isn't ending, just the end of another credit cycle. Supposed to happen every 60-80 years.

:lol :lol It's not Haley's comet, and happening 1-2 times does not constitute a never changing aspect of human history.

Dude reads a few bubble blogs and thinks he knows more than financiers around the world.

Jackl

Miroku said:
Thank you, I can come out of the fetal position now. Question is, when to buy big? When will the S&P bottom out?
I wish I had a crystal ball.

Hard to say, the problem has compounded itself quite badly over the last few years. Worse case scenario, 1929. Doubt it'll get that bad.

All depends on how fast this all comes clean. More the banks start marking to market their assets to cover these losses.(And theres much more) The more we can come to grips with the damage. As of right now it doesn't matter how much money Central banks inject into the system. No one trust anyone right now to payback the money. Simply because theres too much fibbing on the books. Since credit is what this economy is founded upon(Both Consumer and corporate), if credit slows down so does everything else. The question is how much, and how long.

P.S. If a major bank declares BK, all bets are off.

Jackl

gkrykewy said:
:lol :lol It's not Haley's comet, and happening 1-2 times does not constitute a never changing aspect of human history.

Dude reads a few bubble blogs and thinks he knows more than financiers around the world.

Not that bold a statement to say greed will out.

GhaleonEB

Watching Intel's stock tank from nearly $27 at the end of the year to $20 now has been rough. Stock options are back under water, and of course the shares I own are hit. Sucks, it had just gotten back to where it was when I joined Intel four years ago. :lol

I moved a big chunk of my investments to mutual funds consisting of 100% international instruments. The US funds I have left are heavily weighted toward dividends (which reinvest); they got about 7% last year so we're insulated a bit. It's going to be a rough year, though.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
i'm gonna sleep on my shares, but I really want to buy INTC next week or two weeks from now. Oh well.

Tarazet

gkrykewy said:
I don't own anything right now except $2500 in one mutual fund (JSVAX), and I regret owning that too.

I have bonds. They've been gaining in value rapidly, inversely to the stock market, and even if the market value starts to go down again, I still know I'll gain on them given enough time.

lil smoke

Banned
I try not to even look anymore. It just hurts my stomach. And go figure, every stock on my watchlist is red... except FUCKIN CROX.

At this point though, the lower, I guess the better.

rage1973

Market is close to being oversold near term. I would expect the next support level at about 12100 for DOW. I am still holding onto my AAPL shares and bought additional $155 March call options.

I've been reading that the fundamentals of the market are still pretty weak and that the bloodbath could continue for a while. Banks still have billions left to write down, the economy is in recession now, when the Fed drops interest rates the dollar will continue to plunge, oil is still high, the housing market is still in a depression, inflation is high and will go up when the Fed pumps more money into the system, consumer debt is high, etc. From what I've been reading, watch out.

Is there an economic indicator that is not showing bad news?
Trade deficit: massive
Budget deficit: huge
Inflation: up big time
Consumer confidence: lowest value ever recorded(!)
Stock market: down hard
Jobs: lots of lay-offs
Real Estate: Bubble popped
Geo-political-climate: Shitstorm . . . pretty much everyone hates us including our allies.
Credit situation: credit crunch
Wage growth: close to nil
Currency: Dollar has been devalued heavily (First time I've seen Canadian dollar worth more!)
Consumer debt: Massive

*sigh*

Tarazet

speculawyer said:
Geo-political-climate: Shitstorm . . . pretty much everyone hates us including our allies.
Currency: Dollar has been devalued heavily (First time I've seen Canadian dollar worth more!)

*sigh*

Good time to move to Europe, I say, ol' chap..

Az987

all good things
is the japanese stock market in as bad a shape as ours??

Just wondering since my Nintendo stock dropped 9$ in the past 3 days....

The Japanese stock market has been in a massive bear market for almost 20 years. The Nikkei peaked at about 40,000 in 1990. Now it's at about 13,000 or so.

Stele

Holds a little red book
Az987 said:

Geographic diversification is an extinct animal these days. Markets pretty much all move in sync. My European funds have been declining at identical rates with the S&P.

rage1973

speculawyer said:

*sigh*
If you think this is bad you weren't around for the crash of 1987.

Posted from Wikipedia
"Black Monday is the name given to Monday, October 19, 1987, when the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) dropped by 508 points to 1739 (22.6%),[1] and on which similar enormous drops occurred across the world. By the end of October, stock markets in Hong Kong had fallen 45.8%, Australia 41.8%, Spain 31%, the United Kingdom 26.4%, the United States 22.68%, and Canada 22.5%. New Zealand's market was hit especially hard, falling about 60% from its 1987 peak, and taking several years to recover.[2] (The terms Black Monday and Black Tuesday are also applied to October 28 and 29, 1929, which occurred after Black Thursday on October 24, which started the Stock Market Crash of 1929.)

The Black Monday decline was the largest one-day percentage decline in stock market history. Other large declines have occurred after periods of market closure, such as Saturday, December 12, 1914, when the DJIA fell 24.39%, ending the four month closure due to the outbreak of the First World War [3] , and Monday, September 17, 2001, the first day that the market was open following the September 11, 2001 attacks.

Interestingly, the DJIA was positive for the 1987 calendar year. It opened on January 2, 1987, at 1,897 points and would close on December 31st, 1987, at 1,939 points. The DJIA would not regain its August 25, 1987 closing high of 2,722 points until almost two years later.

A degree of mystery is associated with the 1987 crash, and it has been labeled as a black swan event.[4] Important assumptions concerning human rationality, the efficient market hypothesis, and economic equilibrium were brought into question by the event. Debate as to the cause of the crash still continues many years after the event, with no firm conclusions reached.

In the wake of the crash, markets around the world were put on restricted trading primarily because sorting out the orders that had come in was beyond the computer technology of the time. This also gave the Federal Reserve and other central banks time to pump liquidity into the system to prevent a further downdraft. While pessimism reigned, the market bottomed on October 20."

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ok yeah really shitty day and like I said I'm just gonna sleep on my shares really, even that POS of IMMR:lol

Half of all my savings are in stocks, and I have some in my 401k equivalent, but very little (I just contribute on each pay through the company I work for and quite frankly I don't even know what it's invested in). I'm gonna slow down now, I'll probably buy INTC in the next few weeks, and that's it. This market won't heal for some time, probably not for the next 12 months. But at the same time, global growth can always help because many companies (especially in the tech sector) will, IMO, benefit a lot in the near-future from this new globalized-oriented economy. Of course there is going to be a slow down, everyone will be hurt by this, but I believe the economy has developed stronger roots by globalizing itself and hence some companies will make it out fine.

I mean, we still have this little treasure:

Industry Explodes With $18 bln in 2007

The US videogames industry hit an astounding $17.9 billion in sales in 2007, shattering records, as Halo 3 and Wii Play led units sales for the year.

I want to see a big reaction to this tomorrow across the board, even if it doesn't make the shares go up much, I want the whole world to hear about the success of the video game sector. It's important!

Az987 said:

It's probably more due to currency fluctuations than anything else, both the £ and the $ have been seriously devalued against the yen in the past couple of weeks:

£1 230->210yen (-9%)
$1 114->106yen (-7.5%)

I recently sold my home in the UK and was about to transfer the money to my Japanese bank account, but seeing as my money has lost 9% of it's value in a matter of days, I have no idea what to do. Keep it in the UK account, hoping for the pound to recover or convert into yen before it's too late and decreases further?

I'm starting a business in Japan in around 9-10 months, fingers crossed.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The more open minded a nation's corporations are, the better it will do as it will be more flexible.

For example, Japan is extremely close-minded, very conservative culturally, and as such it makes them less flexible; they don't like to hire foreigners, they don't absorb world-wide talent like the UK, Canada, the US, etc., do.

The problem with the US economy is due to short-term greed, lack of foresight, and lack of risk management.

ArtG

Ether_Snake said:
Ok yeah really shitty day and like I said I'm just gonna sleep on my shares really, even that POS of IMMR:lol

Half of all my savings are in stocks, and I have some in my 401k equivalent, but very little (I just contribute on each pay through the company I work for and quite frankly I don't even know what it's invested in). I'm gonna slow down now, I'll probably buy INTC in the next few weeks, and that's it. This market won't heal for some time, probably not for the next 12 months. But at the same time, global growth can always help because many companies (especially in the tech sector) will, IMO, benefit a lot in the near-future from this new globalized-oriented economy. Of course there is going to be a slow down, everyone will be hurt by this, but I believe the economy has developed stronger roots by globalizing itself and hence some companies will make it out fine.

I'm going to sit on the sidelines until February and see where we are at that point. I'll have some more cash to play around with, and see if ACAS continues to sink like a rock. I believe in the company, so they'll be fine, but I doubt we'll see any bottom in the credit market by February....but I'm down about 25-30% and wouldn't mind cutting my cost basis by a big chunk.

Then again, I'm a little underweight in technology, and INTC is a really attractive buy at these prices. Still considering UN as well. Just want to get some cash in at these prices.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah, it's very tempting times to buy, but I have to hold myself back. Better safe than sorry, and I prefer to start investing at a time where I feel a bit more secured, it's just difficult to see through the fog.

Like I said earlier, yesterday I was one click away from buying INTC, and I held back (two days in a row). I'll have to hold back some more:)

UN was up today, and still up in After Hours. But again like I said I'll wait, it dropped more than that before. I prefer to look at a 5 to 10 year chart these days. And the drop has been quick, usually a real drop takes a few weeks if not a few months, and this time we're talking about a recession, so it is almost bound to drop more, so I'll wait just as I'm gonna wait with INTC.

Just gotta hold back the temptation:)

EDIT: CREE has been going up and down for months by quite a few bucks. Rather surprising. Almost an easy short-term money maker. The temptation! lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
As I said yesterday about global growth, this is matched by GE and probably others too (for example, the video game sector, IBM, etc.):

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080118/earns_general_electric.html

"Every place we went, there's a need for power, there's a need for planes, and there's just no signs that this global infrastructure boom is slowing at all," he said.

However, Immelt said the U.S. consumer is "going to be tough."

GE will have lower gains in 2008, "but we're still seeing great global growth in assets and margins," he said.

Tarazet

Citibank has fallen 19% since Monday. OUCH.

BTW, The NeoGAF Virtual Stock Exchange game ends Monday the 28th, so if you haven't taken drastic measures to save your portfolio, now is the time to try and pull off something spectacular.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
sonarrat said:

BTW, The NeoGAF Virtual Stock Exchange game ends Monday the 28th, so if you haven't taken drastic measures to save your portfolio, now is the time to try and pull off something spectacular.

Mine is dead. The Brazilian stocks I invested into follow the NASDAQ/DOW/S&P. You get the idea?:p

EDIT: Ubisoft up 4.50%. Ubisoft ALWAYS benefits more from NPD results and the likes than US companies, probably because more people pay attention to the sector over there. Here I am 100% sure that the video game sector is under valued.

Fuzzery

sonarrat said:

O shit it ends that soon? I actually should start VSEing, I have a feeling it will help A LOT with real money. A lot of times, it takes actual trading in a stock to get used to it. The no delay thing in real trading has spoiled me though

Joe

i'm itching to get into stocks and i'm looking at AMD and Sprint as my first buys. both are doing pretty bad right now but i can see them bouncing back in big ways this year. what do you guys think?

Tarazet

AMD doesn't have much of an outlook at this point, because its products just aren't competitive with Intel, so it's losing both consumer sales and institutional business.

Fuzzery

sonarrat said:
AMD doesn't have much of an outlook at this point, because its products just aren't competitive with Intel, so it's losing both consumer sales and institutional business.
It's already been oversold to hell because of this fact though. This is nothing new to investors

ArtG

Fuzzery said:
It's already been oversold to hell because of this fact though. This is nothing new to investors

Might be priced fairly, but when you're stacking up the two against each other...why would you buy the weaker player in the market. Intel is just the better company--no reason to buy AMD at any price other than for short term gains.

Fuzzery

ArtG said:
Might be priced fairly, but when you're stacking up the two against each other...why would you buy the weaker player in the market. Intel is just the better company--no reason to buy AMD at any price other than for short term gains.
If you think intel will eventually push AMD completely out of the market. Do remember that they were in opposite positions awhile ago though.

rage1973

Joe said:
i'm itching to get into stocks and i'm looking at AMD and Sprint as my first buys. both are doing pretty bad right now but i can see them bouncing back in big ways this year. what do you guys think?
It depends if this is a short term investment or long term. I would stay away from both companies for long term since they are both losing marketshare at an increasing rate.

Top Bottom