• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Great, my broker is pretty much down at the moment. Some stuff down up to 20%. What a mess.

Edit: got through, bought a little more finance stock. See what happens. Not touching anything else at the moment.

I'm almost out also mostly. Got a little left, but waiting to see what happens next week. If things drop lower maybe I'll use that. Well, not out, but I'm not touching my emergency saving fund to go speculate with it.

Well I'm officially back in the red overall from when I started investing! I have an extra $1000 socked away though that I can use to buy something at a bargain, any ideas? I think I am going to wait until next week to actually spend on anything as I don't think it has hit a low point yet.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ah good ol BLV, love this stock. Got around 20% of my portfolio in there, would have been happy with 100% over the past few months. And it has a great dividend.

Everything else I have is down by a lot.

Well I'm officially back in the red overall from when I started investing! I have an extra $1000 socked away though that I can use to buy something at a bargain, any ideas? I think I am going to wait until next week to actually spend on anything as I don't think it has hit a low point yet.
I'm in ING if you're into European banks. Good dividend. 15% down today, but solid firm from what I know. Managed to get my average to 10.30 now with it. The almost 7% dividend is a nice backup, so I can just let it sit if things go down.

Only thing really screwing me over are German cars at the moment. Daimler and BMW.

vpance

Shorted the pop and added some more puts to ones I bought the other day. People seem too complacent in OT, this must be going lower.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I had a couple hundred in dividends to re-invest.

down 2.5%, not as bad as I'd expected.

vpance

Booked profits from today's short for +14%

I give 25% odds that by EOD this whole correction is over. Still keeping hedges on over the weekend.

Picked up some Amgn, CHPK.

Might pick up some FTNT.

My JPM 60 put which was expiring today, is now in the money which is shocking.

There might be some pullback, but I still think the market is going to do down some more.
So I'm saving some money for hopefully another downturn.

I'm still bullish on SLV. After Gold has its run, I"m hoping SLV will follow.

EDIT: I need some more stocks to follow. What are you guys looking at?

bob page

I've had my Betterment retirement account opened for about 1.5 years and I'm debating switching over all the funds to Vanguard (lazy portfolio). I didn't realize at the time but my portfolio (IRA) is over 35% weighted on a single international fund regardless of the risk profile (usually at least 70% stock) and it's been skewing my returns. I realize I shouldn't be basing performance decisions off a time range this short but the international allocation really isn't to my liking. Should I just keep it and not worry about anything?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I've had my Betterment retirement account opened for about 1.5 years and I'm debating switching over all the funds to Vanguard (lazy portfolio). I didn't realize at the time but my portfolio (IRA) is over 35% weighted on a single international fund regardless of the risk profile (usually at least 70% stock) and it's been skewing my returns. I realize I shouldn't be basing performance decisions off a time range this short but the international allocation really isn't to my liking. Should I just keep it and not worry about anything?

Don't put all your eggs in the same basket. Aim for around 7% return annually through big boring stocks, but not all in one fund.

tokkun

Personally I would hesitate to cash out an international fund at this particular moment when people are panic selling due to the Brexit.

You may also want to ask the question in the thread for retirement investing.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=749978

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
SCTY and Tesla both up today. Odd. I sure hope the SCTY buyout goes through but it sounds unlikely at this point, I can't imagine any TSLA investors being for it except Musk.

SCTY and Tesla both up today. Odd. I sure hope the SCTY buyout goes through but it sounds unlikely at this point, I can't imagine any TSLA investors being for it except Musk.

I just need SCTY to bump up to like $26 so I can get out of it and make a little money. It is heavily weighing down my portfolio right now.

vpance

Should I buy more into my index funds, or just wait a bit?

I guess I'm asking if the overall market pain is over yet.

Buy only when the trend of the market is up. As of today it's switched to down. Perhaps only for the short term, but we'll see.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
We're probably heading to the low 16,000 or even 15,000s before things finally stabilize.

Az987

all good things
We're probably heading to the low 16,000 or even 15,000s before things finally stabilize.

Still thinking that? Is this a fake out?

I know the other times the S&P broke through the 2020 support were the sell offs in August and January but I feel reluctant to commit to anything.

vpance

Still thinking that? Is this a fake out?

I know the other times the S&P broke through the 2020 support were the sell offs in August and January but I feel reluctant to commit to anything.

2020 was broken and now it's retesting it. Closing above as a first step is key, until then it's a dead cat bounce.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I was pretty certain we'd get a bounce today. But I don't see things stabilizing now, there is actually no positive news.

vpance

Oil and the markets run together now.

Looks like we'll get the close above 2020. Good recovery. Other indicators I monitor are showing bullish short term signals.

vpance

Yes 2040 and then 2070. On a weekly basis staying above 2025 would be promising.

Today's recovery was as good as it gets! Got some panic buying into the close too. I have a somewhat lofty target of 2065 that we might actually hit later this week.

vpance

If I was a very conservative investor I would only wait for new highs to buy into the market. Because until then we are still just stuck in a massive trading range for the last 1.5 years.

Az987

all good things
If I was a very conservative investor I would only wait for new highs to buy into the market. Because until then we are still just stuck in a massive trading range for the last 1.5 years.

Why not buy at the bottom of the range? Like January far otm calls here.

Edit never mind, I wasn't thinking conservative investor.

What did you pick up at the end of day?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Do you think oil will go down with the market? Well, further than it has already?

I said months ago I expect oil to go as high as 50 in the best case scenario and not top that for the foreseeable future. I don't see any reason to think oil could sustain high prices, I don't believe anyone wants to cut production, and we'll keep moving away from it.

Nike down, expected so, Adidas has been killing it mindshare-wise and the USD hurt Nike. 45-50 would be a nice entry price but I don't stock pick anymore:(

edit: Yay, my portfolio is back to where it was pre-Brexit. Partially thanks to the CAD drop.

vpance

Why not buy at the bottom of the range? Like January far otm calls here.

Edit never mind, I wasn't thinking conservative investor.

What did you pick up at the end of day?

I bought massively at the lows around Jan & Feb and just trade or hedge short with bear ETFs and puts every now and then. I closed my shorts Monday morning.

1950s are my max limit to remain long term bullish. Any lower and I think the game is over and it's back to bear for a while.

Az987

all good things
Man, I didn't see a recovery coming this quick. Back to the top of the range and then back down again I'm guessing.

Have you guys ever taken a big lose and gotten like trigger shy for a while?

I bought massively at the lows around Jan & Feb and just trade or hedge short with bear ETFs and puts every now and then. I closed my shorts Monday morning.

1950s are my max limit to remain long term bullish. Any lower and I think the game is over and it's back to bear for a while.

What made you buy at the Feb lows if you think it's game over at 1950? Didn't it get to 1850ish?

vpance

The FTSE has completely recovered all Brexit losses and exceeded the pre vote highs...

Man, I didn't see a recovery coming this quick. Back to the top of the range and then back down again I'm guessing.

Have you guys ever taken a big lose and gotten like trigger shy for a while?

What made you buy at the Feb lows if you think it's game over at 1950? Didn't it get to 1850ish?

The short version is, it was a different technical setup at that time. I saw a pattern developing that is usually good for at least a short term bottom, but there was potential for it to be a long term one. So you have to buy it or cover.

Now that we recovered from that point, I'm not seeing any clear possibility of new highs if the market chooses to retrace much more of the advance from Feb instead of rebounding from here, which it has so far.

And yeah, I've had that feeling too after losses.

Az987

all good things
The FTSE has completely recovered all Brexit losses and exceeded the pre vote highs...

The short version is, it was a different technical setup at that time. I saw a pattern developing that is usually good for at least a short term bottom, but there was potential for it to be a long term one. So you have to buy it or cover.

Now that we recovered from that point, I'm not seeing any clear possibility of new highs if the market chooses to retrace much more of the advance from Feb instead of rebounding from here, which it has so far.

And yeah, I've had that feeling too after losses.

What indicators do you mainly focus on?

Did you do anything in particular to move past it or just had to get your feet wet again and turn a profit to regain your confidence?

vpance

What indicators do you mainly focus on?

Did you do anything in particular to move past it or just had to get your feet wet again and turn a profit to regain your confidence?

There's a bunch I look at depending on the situation, but my main goto is Elliott wave analysis. Once you know this, every other indicator/technique will become a secondary tool. You can learn the fundamentals outlined by Prechter, but Bill William's methods are a must to verify your work. What sort of TA do you do?

As for getting past losses, once you have a firm trading discipline with rules and limits (stops, margin management), you'll be able to avoid getting into the really bad spots.

Two main things that helped me: don't over trade and don't trade against the trend (unless you are good at spotting reversal patterns). And knowing the trend is just basic moving average analysis on several timeframes.

Az987

all good things
There's a bunch I look at depending on the situation, but my main goto is Elliott wave analysis. Once you know this, every other indicator/technique will become a secondary tool. You can learn the fundamentals outlined by Prechter, but Bill William's methods are a must to verify your work. What sort of TA do you do?

As for getting past losses, once you have a firm trading discipline with rules and limits (stops, margin management), you'll be able to avoid getting into the really bad spots.

Two main things that helped me: don't over trade and don't trade against the trend (unless you are good at spotting reversal patterns). And knowing the trend is just basic moving average analysis on several timeframes.

I've heard about Elliott waves but I don't really know anything about it. Everytime I've looked at a chart using it, it seemed a lot more complex than what I was used to.

I mainly just use RSI, MACD, stochastics, and money flow index on hourly and daily charts but I also try and find things trading in a predictible range.

Yeah, I was over trading options before I really had a grasp of them and a few quick profits early on went to my head and then whoosh, huge loses. I don't even want to touch options for a really long time.

Now I'm just trying to trade the range of things I had already owned and see how that works out. I figure push come to shove, at worst I'll miss out on some profits if it breaks to the upside or if it ends up breaking to the downside, I'll be in at a better price had I just stayed put. But I'll set up stops too just incase.

Mrbob

Am I being overly bearish (though I'll never short I'm a lifelong bull) or did the market rebound way too quickly this week. I know there were end of the quarter rebalancing done but to erase all of Friday and Monday in 3 days is strange.

I feel like we are going to hit the 2100 wall again in the SP500 and start going down.

Am I being overly bearish (though I'll never short I'm a lifelong bull) or did the market rebound way too quickly this week. I know there were end of the quarter rebalancing done but to erase all of Friday and Monday in 3 days is strange.

I feel like we are going to hit the 2100 wall again in the SP500 and start going down.
Nothing really happening, so unless that Brexit gets some real news again it might just go sideways a bit I think. Unless you're in finance and German cars like me, and are waiting for a 10% bump :(

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

I'm up higher than before Brexit.

My guess? The algorithms just don't know what the fuck a Brexit is, so now felt everything was cheap and bought everything back, and people followed. The equivalent of a robot bending over to pick a shiny quarter. But it's probably the better reaction than the panic we saw.

ColdPizza

Banned
I'm up higher than before Brexit.

My guess? The algorithms just don't know what the fuck a Brexit is, so now felt everything was cheap and bought everything back, and people followed. The equivalent of a robot bending over to pick a shiny quarter. But it's probably the better reaction than the panic we saw.

The chart before and after was similar to Greece.

Top Bottom