• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
SSGMUN10000 said:
Ive have several thousand in an IRA account that hasnt really been invested. Im thinking of buying some stock but hesitant due to the stock market not doing to well. Any advice you guys can give me? Any interesting stock to look into to?

You shouldn't be too worried about long term investments. But at the same time you don't want to dump your money into an index fund that's about to explode.

I'd go for large cap value domestic as the first fund in times like these. My second choice would be large cap value Europe. The large corporations in these funds aren't going anywhere. You don't want REITs, anything finance specific, or small cap. Small cap is bad right now because a larger percentage of most small caps are used for cost of goods/energy which is going to go up with a falling dollar.

Edit: Beaten!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
First Children said:
What do you guys think about SDVI (Signature Devices Inc.)?

It seems to have good fundamentals but the stock price has been going down since ever, maybe because of naked shorting practices, also I can't find real information outside what's already on the Yahoo and Google boards.

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=PINK:SDVI

Seems like a young company, can<t get any info on their past performance. Sounds risky.

BTW, today is a real slaughterhouse.

gkryhewy

Ether_Snake said:
Phil Harrison heading to Infogrames (Euronext: IFG).

Anyone feels like taking a risk on this penny stock?:D

Not a penny stock anymore. They had a 100 for 1 stock.... unsplit? :lol :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
gkrykewy said:
Not a penny stock anymore. They had a 100 for 1 stock.... unsplit? :lol :lol

:lol

Oh well. Anyway markets are getting slaughtered big time. Everything down.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
lil smoke said:
I can't believe you guys have the stomach to follow this shit right now.

Whatever happened to OP Koam anyways?

Probably got out;)

As for ERTS, I was thinking of buying some, but I wouldn't be surprised if earnings disappointed again. It's probably why they are trying to get TTWO before the earnings.

We're going under 12,000!

rage1973

Market is close to being oversold again so I bought in with 50 shares of RIG and 100 shares of DRYS. At this price point I see them being complete bargains.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
rage1973 said:
Market is close to being oversold again so I bought in with 50 shares of RIG and 100 shares of DRYS. At this price point I see them being complete bargains.

How can you really tell if it's over sold? I thought the same a few weeks ago about NVDA' but I'm down 2$, and really it could keep on going?

_Frank_

rage1973 said:

lol personnaly i think it will fall a LOT more

rage1973

Ether_Snake said:
How can you really tell if it's over sold? I thought the same a few weeks ago about NVDA' but I'm down 2$, and really it could keep on going?
You can study charts and trends and look for support levels.

kathode

Crazy times. I went from being afraid to log in to my brokerage to being up a couple hundred bucks for the day. This GILD stock I picked up has been working magic. Apparently they had some promising results with an AIDS drug, and then authorized some share buybacks. The past few days have been great! Oddly enough I have no recollection of where I heard about this stock :lol Will probably sell when it gets above $50.

34g9i5h.jpg

_Frank_

kathode said:
Crazy times. I went from being afraid to log in to my brokerage to being up a couple hundred bucks for the day. This GILD stock I picked up has been working magic. Apparently they had some promising results with an AIDS drug, and then authorized some share buybacks. The past few days have been great! Oddly enough I have no recollection of where I heard about this stock :lol Will probably sell when it gets above $50.

34g9i5h.jpg

wow that's a pretty nice stock. If i were you i would take a profit on this stock cause it's been a 4 day up streak and theres good chances of correction. Maybe i would sell half of my position to secure it. Thanks, i will be looking for this stock when the market stabilizes.

Tarazet

Citibank is at its lowest level since 1999. That's just astonishing, that a few months have wiped out almost a decade's worth of gains.

well its low because of the shit this country is in. its pretty black and white. unless things are still gonna get MUCH worse i dont see how its a bad buy. The housing market should start to come back next year. Everything should begin to see a nice turnaround then. looking at bank stocks now. washington mutual looks good too.

Tarazet

MobiusPigeon said:
well its low because of the shit this country is in. its pretty black and white. unless things are still gonna get MUCH worse i dont see how its a bad buy. The housing market should start to come back next year. Everything should begin to see a nice turnaround then. looking at bank stocks now. washington mutual looks good too.

I strongly disagree. There are billions of dollars still to be lost because of the housing and credit crises. When the 2005-2006 ARM mortgage stock starts resetting, it's going to be a bloodbath on a far greater scale than we've seen so far.

whens that start? :( i just bought wamu with my ttwo profits. still have 2/3rds my ttwo stock tho. :D short term. if i lose all i break even. plan is to sell at 17-20 then jump back into ttwo or that visa ipo.

Tarazet

MobiusPigeon said:
whens that start? :( i just bought wamu with my ttwo profits. still have 2/3rds my ttwo stock tho. :D short term. if i lose all i break even. plan is to sell at 17-20 then jump back into ttwo or that visa ipo.

*looks at watch* should be starting about now, I think. So the foreclosures will become hot and heavy starting this summer and fall, much worse than it is now.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think worst than the foreclosure issue will be students with unpayable debts and no high paying jobs once out of school. I think it will become a crisis in around two years from now. So out of one crisis and into another (if out of the previous one at all). The US economy is fucked.

EDIT COOL (Majesco) up 7%. Mario and Sonic at the Olympics sold 5 million, Ubisoft's "Imagine Babies" sold over a million (mostly Europe) and Imagine Fashion Designer over 600,000 copies (also mostly Europe). Could be good signs for Majesco.

sonarrat said:
*looks at watch* should be starting about now, I think. So the foreclosures will become hot and heavy starting this summer and fall, much worse than it is now.

ok cool. i was looking to buy again toward the end of the summer so i guess we are thinking along the same lines. I know its gonna get worse but i didnt think it'd be OMGWTF worse like you seem to think it'll be. I think it'll just continue to be more of a slide rather than a sharp fall.

Tarazet

MobiusPigeon said:
ok cool. i was looking to buy again toward the end of the summer so i guess we are thinking along the same lines. I know its gonna get worse but i didnt think it'd be OMGWTF worse like you seem to think it'll be. I think it'll just continue to be more of a slide rather than a sharp fall.

Depends on whether you own property in San Mateo, I suppose.

gkryhewy

MobiusPigeon said:
hm citi looks interesting

:lol :lol There was a story linked from Drudge yesterday that Citi might fail despite a recent infusion of cash from the middle east. Don't buy banks at risk of failure.

sonarrat said:
Depends on whether you own property in San Mateo, I suppose.

you seem to be into real estate numbers. My gauge for buying a place again was to buy once numbers hit around where they were when i originally bought a place (san fernando valley, LA california) in 2002. They seem to be edging closer and closer to those numbers as time passes. I'm on realtor.com right now with a huge grin on my face(people selling where i sold are selling for over 100k less and its only been 7 months since i got out) as to whats availible right now and how much better the prices are going to get for me as a buyer. Would you say that its possible that prices will drop BELOW 2002 numbers even? If so, Holy Crap. :lol Buying is gonna ROCK. i'll probably end up getting more for my money this time around.

There was a story linked from Drudge yesterday that Citi might fail despite a recent infusion of cash from the middle east. Don't buy banks at risk of failure.

i dunno. i like looking at other things. the simple things. how long a company has been around. what they have done. who they've bought. Stuff like that doesnt go away. If anything stuff like mergers or buyouts happen with companies that have history.

Tarazet

MobiusPigeon said:
you seem to be into real estate numbers. My gauge for buying a place again was to buy once numbers hit around where they were when i originally bought a place (san fernando valley, LA california) in 2002. They seem to be edging closer and closer to those numbers as time passes. I'm on realtor.com right now with a huge grin on my face(people selling where i sold are selling for over 100k less and its only been 7 months since i got out) as to whats availible right now and how much better the prices are going to get for me as a buyer. Would you say that its possible that prices will drop BELOW 2002 numbers even? If so, Holy Crap. :lol Buying is gonna ROCK. i'll probably end up getting more for my money this time around.

Wages in California haven't really gone up since 1999. Property values, on the other hand, have gone up between 200-500% for a variety of reasons. Between the negative media coverage and the reality of tremendous foreclosure activity, it's clear that there just aren't enough people with enough money to buy everything on the market at even 2002 prices.

Tarazet

Not me. I'm probably going to bail and move to St. Louis. I'll miss Golden Gate Park, but Carondelet Park will be a nice consolation prize.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Crude jumped to 104 a barrel>:|

US dollar sinking is hurting CGT>:|

rage1973

Jesus Christ I know you guys think the sky is falling and our economy seemed doomed but trust me that this will be over before you know it. You guys haven't been around during the market crash of 1987 when DOW lost over 22% of its value in one day, real estate crash in southern california and the recession during early 90's, tech crash and 9/11 crashing the market. Just stay patient and make sure to keep some cash reserve so you can take advantage when the market goes on sale.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
But it's always the same problem. It's easy to say buy when there are opportunities, but a lot could still bring this market further down, hence what you buy on what you consider a sale might not be one at all yet.

EDIT: INTC, UN, ERTS, and BA. Might buy this week.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
jamesinclair said:
Stupid question

"Dow is at 13,000 points"

Ive never understood what the points mean.

???

Probably because it's not considered an actual monetary value since it is just an index.

Tarazet

You know what? I'm really looking how JTX (Jackson Hewitt Tax Services) is priced right now. It hasn't been lower in at least 5 years, but they've never stood to gain more. And all of this decline is due to the "slow start to the tax season"? Are they high? No field is more solid right now than accounting. The worse the economy is, the more people and the more companies need help with their taxes.

Tarazet

MobiusPigeon said:
i always wondered about stuff like H&R and Hewitt. WTF do they do when its NOT tax season? :lol

Depends on if they offer any kind of corporate services. If they don't, well, it's pretty slow from May to December.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
They haven't even been traded for 5 years (JTX). Other than its profitability ratios, everything else looks meh.

Your call;)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Tomorrow we go below 12,000?

EDIT: WTF, didn't notice but NVDA dropped 6% today! Buying some more tomorrow I think.

EDIT2: I don't like the idea of buying GME, but 08 should be a crazy year with next-gen consoles being finally fully implemented. Hmm hmm. No Halo or Guitar Hero in sight tho. 09 will probably be absolutely crazy.

EDIT3: IFG (Infogrames) up over 5% today.

kathode

Below 12,000! Look out below!

Ether_Snake said:
EDIT2: I don't like the idea of buying GME, but 08 should be a crazy year with next-gen consoles being finally fully implemented. Hmm hmm. No Halo or Guitar Hero in sight tho. 09 will probably be absolutely crazy.

I'm still optimistic about this stock. They've been battered primarily because they're retail, and people are dumping retail left and right with the bad economy. Earnings for the last quarter are coming up on the 18th, and I think people will react to the mega christmas quarter they had. Guidance is a worry as always but I think they won't disappoint.

lil smoke

Banned
MobiusPigeon said:
i always wondered about stuff like H&R and Hewitt. WTF do they do when its NOT tax season? :lol
Financial/Investment advising, some have Real Estate and Small Business services, notary public. They are pretty slow during off-season though. There is one in the building at my job, and there's only 1-2 people on staff at any given time.

I think they should advertise more and expand on the above services, and lump in free or discounted taxwork as a package for signing on for those services. It would also be nice if they offered full Small business starter packages, or even act as middlemen for copyright and trademark cert. Anything is better than sitting there empty 3/4 of the year. As it stands, their rep for accounting isn't like it was 15 years ago.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Wondering if I should buy more NVDA at this price...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Job report is sending the markets lower.

NVDA trading below 20.

Top Bottom