• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Tarazet

My bonds are sucking. Technical Olympic filed for bankruptcy and I have no idea if I'll ever get anything back for my bond.. I'd lose about $21 if I sold it now which is not horrible. But the surprising thing is that my Bank of America variable-rate bond tanked. Usually when interest rates go down, values go up, but on paper I've lost about $200 on a single bond, and the only way to recoup it is to just hold onto it until it matures in 2027.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
2027, wow.

BTW I just placed an order for 100 NVDA at 19.55

We'll see if it goes through.

EDIT: Damnit it's going back up, it probably won't pass.

EDIT2: Ha! It passed!:p

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ugly week. BA dropped further, now at 78, due to possible delays and competition from China's intitiative to get into the aerospace business.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
jamesinclair said:
Stupid question

"Dow is at 13,000 points"

Ive never understood what the points mean.

???

Dow is an index of various stocks. It changes over time. It's only a very short-term indicator for the market's health. You can't do something like "well if I bought Dow 5 years ago, I only made a few %, therefore investing sucks."

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
rage1973 said:
You can study charts and trends and look for support levels.

LOL. This is what some people call Chartist investing. You're just looking at charts, shapes, curves. It's a terrible way to invest because it has too little basis to it and is too heavily related to emotion. Emotional investing = you lose.

There are two types of investing that you should practice:
1. Index Investing: Diversification via Modern Portfolio Theory. Just buy a bunch of different index funds of varying cap, equity (growth vs value), and domestic/foreign. Rebalance these funds to the original allocation after a certain percentage change. Requires little thought, makes an average of 12% per year.
2. Value investing: You study sectors in the industry, worldwide events, how that influences the stock you're looking at it. Think about the actual future worth of the company.

Warren Buffet, the king of value investing, says that stocks overall are overpriced right now. I think he's right.

VPhys

Maxwell House said:
I just went long Google today. I never thought I'd do that. :lol

I purchased Google yesterday :(.

One day too early, it took a $20 sing since I purchased it. Thankfully today it stabilized a bit.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
God dammit we need a fix for the economy... and hydrogen. My stocks have been taking a hit, but then again I am a Momentum guy, I look at stocks that show a growing trend and with lots of future potential, also looking at the cycles. For example... last Xmas I went on board with RIG, AMZN and GOOG... did an awesome return, especially since I bought the stocks i October at slow moments. Made a lot of money =). Right now, momentum is kinda dead, but I am looking at some. My value growth stocks are holding out my weakened portfolio.

By the way, has anyone heard of this: http://www.trackntrade.com/ , especially Forex (it sounds like the scam though). The President of the company went to my College and gave us a presentation on it. Sounded VERY good, though I have doubts about it. Any experience, reports, or something like that?

_Frank_

teh_pwn said:
LOL. This is what some people call Chartist investing. You're just looking at charts, shapes, curves. It's a terrible way to invest because it has too little basis to it and is too heavily related to emotion. Emotional investing = you lose.

There are two types of investing that you should practice:
1. Index Investing: Diversification via Modern Portfolio Theory. Just buy a bunch of different index funds of varying cap, equity (growth vs value), and domestic/foreign. Rebalance these funds to the original allocation after a certain percentage change. Requires little thought, makes an average of 12% per year.
2. Value investing: You study sectors in the industry, worldwide events, how that influences the stock you're looking at it. Think about the actual future worth of the company.

Warren Buffet, the king of value investing, says that stocks overall are overpriced right now. I think he's right.

you can do that (and i do), and do technical analysis too. The fact is that technical analysis allows you to choose good entry and out prices.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah this shit shows no sign of stopping. I now have 240 shares of NVDA on my hands, 520 of CGT, 140 of IMMR, and 140 of ATVI (don't ask why the number is 140, there really is no reason:lol). Sold my TTWO shares last week at 25.75.

Overall, I'm down around 12%. ATVI is my only life saver really.

I told myself before, no more investing for now. But I don't know. At this point I still have my eyes on ERTS. Nothing else anymore, everything else is too out of my knowledge for me to bother with.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
BTW I'm really wondering about Infogrammes. Atari will release Alone in the Dark, a sure hit (and one of their first hit in a long time), and Infogrammes is about to buy them completely.

I think it could be a good turnaround point, especially with Harrison involved.

ok so i jumped out of WM because the market is just too damn shaky. mininal loss. still way ahead with my ttwo profits but i'm thinking the dumb wm purchase was to just lead me to my next purchase. you guys may wanna look at Blockbuster.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I knew it wasn't bottom last week:p

There is no end in sight. Don't get caught buying now because you think we reached bottom. I'm getting a feeling last week's NVDA purchase was one of those mistakes;)

Oh well. Still making me feel like BA is attractive at this price. ERTS too. But fuck it, I'm not throwing money out anymore.

EDIT: DCO jumped high for some unknown reason.

with the economy still headed downward i started thinking of places people are likely to start spending more money. bought some NDN. May be a good idea to start thinking along those lines.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Well, be careful. When things get bad we tend to find opportunities that don't actually exist;)

been doing more research on visa. i'm gonna stay away unless someone thinks othewise and has more info. info says that 10 bilion of the 16 billion is going to BANKS and it sounds like visa will be pretty much controlled by BANKS. arent these same banks on their way even further down the shitter within the next few months? Sounds like they are looking for suckers to make some fast cash on. I think the IPO is gonna bomb.

Tarazet

MobiusPigeon said:
been doing more research on visa. i'm gonna stay away unless someone thinks othewise and has more info. info says that 10 bilion of the 16 billion is going to BANKS and it sounds like visa will be pretty much controlled by BANKS. arent these same banks on their way even further down the shitter within the next few months? Sounds like they are looking for suckers to make some fast cash on. I think the IPO is gonna bomb.

Visa doesn't loan money. They just pocket the transaction fees and leave it to the banks to deal with the risk/reward thing.

sonarrat said:
Visa doesn't loan money. They just pocket the transaction fees and leave it to the banks to deal with the risk/reward thing.

but if the majority stakeholders/controllers are banks and those go south wouldnt that eventually trickle down to visa anyway?

argon

sonarrat said:

The question everybody should be asking themselves before buying Visa stock is this: will a global credit crunch and U.S. recession lead to less credit transactions, or will growth in credit usage in emerging markets make up the difference? I don't know the answer, so I'm taking a wait and see approach.

Tarazet

MobiusPigeon said:
but if the majority stakeholders/controllers are banks and those go south wouldnt that eventually trickle down to visa anyway?

I don't think it makes a lick of difference. I suppose worst case, if the major institutional holders got into big trouble and were forced to liquidate their holdings, then it could put some serious downward pressure on the share prices. But outside of that doomsday scenario I can't imagine it would change anything. If 50 Cent fell on hard times, would it have an impact on the stake in Vitamin Water that got sold to Coca-Cola? Of course not.

_Frank_

kathode said:
Anyone thought about doing some short-selling? I'm thinking of shorting a market tracking ETF or two.

I'm doing it since about 2 weeks. Now it's too late, or too soon.

Almost everyone should have cash out of at least 50% of their positions, otherwise people who didn't are near -20% on about 2 months

Javaman

I'm pretty much just going to maintain for now and keep contributing 16% into my 401k. Theres a lot of bad news out there, but I just can't help but think that we've almost reached the bottom. When it goes back up I don't want to miss the ride. Investing in gold or bonds now could cause you to lose out twice. (the drop we've already experienced and the faster gain in the stock market) The thing is, with the subprime mess, I suspect that most of the people who are upside down on their house are going to walk away then declare bankrupcy to protect them from the bank going for the difference. Once that happens they won't have any debt and likely won't be able to take on any so their income (which they've shown poor control of previously) will be back to "buy buy buy". It sucks for people in their former neighborhoods, but I don't think things can go much lower.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I hope I didn't miss the ADSK bottom:(

EDIT: Faaaaalling, might be able to catch ADSK.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ha!

On my end, I'm hoping ADSK falls in the coming days. It was right on the near bottom (as far as I'm concerned):|

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Well this rise isn't entirely justified. Everyone is up, yet not everyone should be.

ADSK might have hit bottom as I thought, I could have still made a move today I'm just tight on funds:( I hope I don't miss out on it.

ADBE, ADSK, ERTS, CM.

Those are the ones I was hoping to invest in for strong returns. We'll see:|

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Global rally happening because of Feds intervention. How long will it last? Should I go for ADSK or wait? Should I buy anything at all in fact, considering I've spent a lot already? I don't know!:p I wish I had a high salary.

rage1973

Ether_Snake said:
Global rally happening because of Feds intervention. How long will it last? Should I go for ADSK or wait? Should I buy anything at all in fact, considering I've spent a lot already? I don't know!:p I wish I had a high salary.
I called the bottom a bit early last week but I am already up 4% on 3 days of holding AAPL, RIG and DRYS. I will probably hold for couple more days since the rally seems prolonged and we also have Fed possible rate cut rate next week. I will check some technicals tomorrow after the market opens. If you want to make money please do not panic sell, from my 10 years of investing and trading that is the fastest way to lose money.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The rally was not really justified. Everyone is thinking short-term right now, and everyone is likely to get burned.

110$ a barrel can't be ingnored, and more price cuts will not be in the market's favors long-term.

i bought 1000 shares of tma last night :lol question! how long before i can sell! i got hit with a warning once for selling a stock too fast and they froze my account for like a month. :lol it was something about not letting my last sell clear before selling the most recent stock.

yeah i had a stop market order in to sell automatically if it dipped below $25. something you may wanna look into so ur not leaving money on the table. If your stock goes above your target, set an order to sell if it drops below that target BUT if it keeps going up, increase the sell value by increments of .25, .50 or 1.00 or whatever.

lil smoke

Banned
MobiusPigeon said:
yeah i had a stop market order in to sell automatically if it dipped below $25. something you may wanna look into so ur not leaving money on the table. If your stock goes above your target, set an order to sell if it drops below that target BUT if it keeps going up, increase the sell value by increments of .25, .50 or 1.00 or whatever.
Yeah, I didn't have that many shares... it would have been a few bucks, however that is good habit.

Not sure where I want to place the profit. I'm considering RL because I know the company well... I know they're going to get another 5%, but it's got to be a quick buy/sell. If I do it I need to do it now.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
MobiusPigeon said:
i bought 1000 shares of tma last night :lol question! how long before i can sell! i got hit with a warning once for selling a stock too fast and they froze my account for like a month. :lol it was something about not letting my last sell clear before selling the most recent stock.

Hasn't it gone up over 100% twice in two days now?

EDIT: Still wondering if I should buy some ADSK before it's potentially too late.

EDIT2: Fucking NVDA.

Saerk

MobiusPigeon said:

hah, I got in trouble with Scottrade for that sort of thing too. What they told me it was because the funds had not settled yet, so they said I was trading with their money, and that was frowned upon. You are supposed to wait for it to settle then it would be considered your money again.

Ether_Snake said:
Hasn't it gone up over 100% twice in two days now?

yeah! last night i was like F it. its cheap, if i lose i'm STILL up from TTWO profits so what the hell. this is getting to be fun! More profits=more money to spend on Visa without real worry.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm losing money on NVDA, which is down on an up day, and some on CGT but I'm not worried about that one, altho weak US dollar is not helping them.

argon

MobiusPigeon said:

If you really want to sell, just do it and take warning/penalty... it's usually not that harsh.
You can also set up a margin account to avoid the settlement waiting period.
Or, you could just deposit the same amount you sold and avoid the penalty.

I'm glad I didn't sell my entire position a couple days ago.. My GRMN shares are finally rebounding after a ridiculous decline.

Top Bottom