• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

_Frank_

mckmas8808 said:
What does this mean? I do you go short?

i sold shares that were not in my possession. It's called a "short". I'm making money if i buy lower than i sold. So i think the price will go down.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
_Frank_ said:
i sold shares that were not in my possession. It's called a "short". I'm making money if i buy lower than i sold. So i think the price will go down.

So how much did you buy it at?

How much did you sell it for?

And how long did it take you to make this turn around? 1 day? 1 hour?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
COOL down 7%, earnings this evening.

EDIT: Only INTC is up.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
_Frank_ said:
i hope adbe doesnt have too good results tomorrow so the price will drop more (im shorting it)

When are earnings, morning or evening?

I've been wanting to buy some:D

At COOL's price, I might buy some.

EDIT: lol who am I kidding, I have to hold back. I must not invest until things turn around. I'll just invest in stuff I understand (games mostly) when the markets are fine, so at least I can still make money (it's the only thing that has given me good returns). I'm not rich, I don't want to take too much risks anymore:|

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Why doesn't anyone get fired or blamed for any of this?

Miroku

Ether_Snake said:
Why doesn't anyone get fired or blamed for any of this?

Actually the people to blame for most of these problems get to cash out millions of dollars of personal profit before sinking their companies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Blarghabababalargh

COOL up 7% so far. Oh well, they'll still be on my watch list, and really they could go much higher long term.

_Frank_

it's just a short term market correction, maybe you will be able to get it cheaper in a near future when it stabilizes at the bottom

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ADSK is down 3%.

Could be a buy soon after all. Or maybe I'm stupid and markets are still going to tank more:p

EDIT: COOL lost its gains.

kathode

Anyone thinking of diving in on the Visa bandwagon tomorrow? I'm definitely considering it.

Ether_Snake said:
BTW how do you look for upcoming earnings on Yahoo?

You can usually find them on the company's investor relations site. Usually they won't announce the date until it's fairly close though. In that case just find the date of the last one and add three months to get a rough idea.

rage1973

kathode said:
Anyone thinking of diving in on the Visa bandwagon tomorrow? I'm definitely considering it.

It all depends on what it's going to start trading at. Lot of people got burned on IPOs for Blackstone and Netsuite so they will be careful to jump into new IPOs. Anything below $50 I will buy for sure but above that I would look carefully.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Cool thanks.

Damn, ADSK is tempting. Weak US dollar is the only thing holding me back. Could bring profits down:|

rage1973

_Frank_ said:
just went short on adbe at 31.10. lol
Well there goes all your money on the shorts. Weren't you the one trying to giving me advice on how to invest?

"Adobe beats earnings forecast and up over 5% in after hours trading."

avaya

Tomorrow I expect Morgan Stanley to deliver a glorious 10% bounce on better than expected earnings primarily due to their Prime Brokerage operations.

Lehman Brothers <3.

kathode

rage1973 said:
Well there goes all your money on the shorts. Weren't you the one trying to giving me advice on how to invest?

"Adobe beats earnings forecast and up over 5% in after hours trading."

Haha, we all make bad bets man. I shorted Goldman Sachs the other day sure as hell that their earnings would be bad. So naturally they're surprisingly good. Thank goodness I was able to get out in the premarket today before it really took off. Lost a couple hundred bucks, but oh well. Wish I had just bought it up instead :)

rage1973

kathode said:
Haha, we all make bad bets man. I shorted Goldman Sachs the other day sure as hell that their earnings would be bad. So naturally they're surprisingly good. Thank goodness I was able to get out in the premarket today before it really took off. Lost a couple hundred bucks, but oh well. Wish I had just bought it up instead :)
This is true and I have made many bad decisions myself but it's just that this guy comes on here handing out all kinds of investment advices which can be dangerous to a neophyte investor. I would never tell anyone which company to buy or sell. It's just not a good idea to tell everyone to get out of stocks and pretend you have some sort of insight into the market.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Damnit!

I kept saying I wanted to buy ADBE, the only thing that held me back was that I wasn't sure what to buy between ADBE, ADSK, and ERTS.

:~|

Still wondering if I should get in on ADSK. I hate this feeling:p

Anyway, ADSK, ERTS, BA, CELG, in that order.

rage1973

Ether_Snake said:
Damnit!

I kept saying I wanted to buy ADBE, the only thing that held me back was that I wasn't sure what to buy between ADBE, ADSK, and ERTS.

:~|

Still wondering if I should get in on ADSK. I hate this feeling:p
What makes you like ADSK? I don't know enough to comment on the stock but tech industry is usually one of the last ones to turn in a down market. I would look into some of the early cyclicals. You did mention CRDN which I actively traded for over a year but the danger of that stock will be if the Democrat wins the presidential election that stock will keep going down.

_Frank_

well im sure not 100% on all my guessses. Nobody is. The fact is its been two weeks that i said here to stop buying, reduces your positions and short the market. Anybody who were long on positions in the pasts months are losing big money. Not me cause i cashed in and i short some stocks. Needless to say my profits excess my gains easilly, including adobe. Tomorrow i will reduce the damage on this stock and i will enter other good opportunities, and the game continues....

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm looking at it long term (like with everything else really). I have been using 3D applications for 10 years, it's what I know best after the game sector (which I work in;) ). Autodesk has been swallowing the competition for years, they bought Alias Wavefront (makers of Maya), and there is basically no more competition except Avid's XSI and NewTek's Lightwave. The demand for 3D applications is rising and can only continue to rise, demand for any CAD application is also rising. More and more products are designed with the use of such applications (for example, the product itself is designed using AutoCAD, but so is whatever is used to MAKE that product:p).

That's the overall reason why I'm confident in the company, at least long term. I'm not too confident on management because working with their product I know they tend to sit on their asses since they have little competition, but recently this has been changing for the best with much stronger and direct customer support.

I'm always worried about the US dollar, but what am I gonna do anyway:p

EDIT: And yeah everyone here has an opinion, it's pointless to point fingers if you don't want them pointed at you, markets could crash tomorrow and then what. Everyone here knows they have to use their heads and do their own research, so let's leave the "told you so, I know my stuff better than you" out. But yeah, shorting ADBE when they were so close to their 52-week low was dangerous;)

EDIT2: BTW, who's buying VISA tomorrow? I'm not, because I'll probably keep my money to buy some of what I mentioned before soon if markets remain nice.

kathode

Ether_Snake said:
EDIT2: BTW, who's buying VISA tomorrow? I'm not, because I'll probably keep my money to buy some of what I mentioned before soon if markets remain nice.

I think I'm going to take a bet on it. Struggling with how much though. I recently paid off all my margin debt so I'm sorely tempted to go "all in." Probably won't, but I'll see what's going on in the pre-market. Annoying that Scottrade only gives you real-time quotes when you've got $25k in your account. Not quite there yet, but getting very close.

Tarazet

kathode said:
I think I'm going to take a bet on it. Struggling with how much though. I recently paid off all my margin debt so I'm sorely tempted to go "all in." Probably won't, but I'll see what's going on in the pre-market. Annoying that Scottrade only gives you real-time quotes when you've got $25k in your account. Not quite there yet, but getting very close.

Do they really? I was thinking of switching over, but I think the higher commissions are probably worth being able to get real-time quotes. Or I could just transfer some of my assets and watch E*Trade while trading on Scottrade..

kathode

sonarrat said:
Do they really? I was thinking of switching over, but I think the higher commissions are probably worth being able to get real-time quotes. Or I could just transfer some of my assets and watch E*Trade while trading on Scottrade..

Actually after looking around a bit more I'm incorrect about that. You do get real-time quotes with any account. At $25k you get their uber-"ELITE" interface, whatever that is. They have a big java interface available and normal web quotes that give you the bid and ask. I just got it confused in my head.

Tarazet

kathode said:
Actually after looking around a bit more I'm incorrect about that. You do get real-time quotes with any account. At $25k you get their uber-"ELITE" interface, whatever that is. They have a big java interface available and normal web quotes that give you the bid and ask. I just got it confused in my head.

E*Trade has something like that available for any brokerage account as well. It really is a nice perk, but not strictly necessary unless you're a day trader. You're not likely to miss a move in the time it takes to refresh a page.

_Frank_

maybe ill get in visa (v) tomorrow morning if the price gets up like crazy in the first seconds....but only if it's below 50$. It's short term so i will probably get out the same day

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Eh, some of the timing feels weird to me. It's like the feds were hoping that tomorrow would be a good day so VISA would go up crazy.

Anyway, we'll see tomorrow if I make a move and on what, if anything. Or else I'll just wait... for... something:p

kathode

I put in a $55 limit. The Scottrader interface just popped up a $65 price, but we'll see. Heard it will be anywhere from 5-30 minutes before it actually starts trading.

kathode

It's still showing as open. I imagine I'll be shut out if that's truly an open price. I called Scottrade ~9AM to put it in, so I don't know if that changes anything. I would like to be in but since I was basically gambling my entire financial future I'm not sure I'll be too disappointed to be shut out :lol

Top Bottom