• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

LJ11

Ether_Snake said:
Yes, more of anything decreases its value. But I don't understand how they could do that without a split.

Shelf offering. They can register X amount of shares, or X amount of dollars when dealing with debt, but they don't have to issue all of them at once, they can draw from the pool when needed.

Edit: Should clear it up a bit more. Most IPOs have Green Shoe options, where the underwriters have an option to purchase X amount of shares if demand is really high, an over-allotment. When Visa registered their shares, they listed way more than they ever intend to float. They're just giving the banks a small portion of these shares.

kathode

Anyone here into options trading at all? I'm looking at ERTS and seeing that it looks like they traditionally have a late summer/early fall run up as Madden gets out the gate. The September $45 and $50 puts are starting to look attractive to me, but I'm new to options trading. Pls advise? :)

Onemic

My Dad set up a stock account for me, but I haven't used it yet. I just want to know....Can you buy stocks over the internet and if so what websites? My trading account is with TD canada.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
onemic said:
My Dad set up a stock account for me, but I haven't used it yet. I just want to know....Can you buy stocks over the internet and if so what websites? My trading account is with TD canada.

You should be able to through TD's website no? I can do that with RBC, I just log in my bank account and have access to an investment account I can make trades through.

Tarazet

Seth C said:
No surprise there. The market loves watching the little people get fucked.

Cruel but true. Citibank went up 10% today in the wake of news of thousands of layoffs of investment bankers.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I wonder where things will go from here, I really don't see why the markets would start to recover soon, there is more on the horizon (like students with debts they can't pay back, with no jobs after graduation, and in this case the feds will never take $200billion to help them), falling dollar, and rising oil prices.

At least people should be able to find more affordable houses now, right?

OT but nice: http://www.forbes.com/2008/03/15/so..._am_0319_engines_slide_7.html?thisSpeed=30000

BTW, while CRDN's shares surged post 2003 due to their involvement in the production of body armors (which use ceramics), and has fallen due to presumed reduce need for armors in the future, the company has been diversifying, and ceramics are needed in many other sectors, such as the car industry (as mentioned in that article just above), and the solar industry. When I get some decent funds I might invest if I feel the price is still a bargain. Their main competitor is Kyocera (KYO) but looking at that company's ratios, other than large market cap it's not so hot.

Tarazet

Ether_Snake said:
I wonder where things will go from here, I really don't see why the markets would start to recover soon, there is more on the horizon (like students with debts they can't pay back, with no jobs after graduation, and in this case the feds will never take $200billion to help them), falling dollar, and rising oil prices.

At least people should be able to find more affordable houses now, right?

Two months ago, you could not buy a house in Redwood City, CA under $400K. Now there is a cluster of about 20 homes under $400K, most of them either on the train tracks or facing an expressway, and they're just not moving.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
sonarrat said:
Two months ago, you could not buy a house in Redwood City, CA under $400K. Now there is a cluster of about 20 homes under $400K, most of them either on the train tracks or facing an expressway, and they're just not moving.

What about the student loans, don't you think this will be the next crisis? Students have unbelievable debts in the US, and jobs are not growing in the trees, so high debt + difficult economic period would mean another crisis IMO. What do you guys think (I'm not in the US, I have no debt)?

Tarazet

Ether_Snake said:
What about the student loans, don't you think this will be the next crisis? Students have unbelievable debts in the US, and jobs are not growing in the trees, so high debt + difficult economic period would mean another crisis IMO. What do you guys think (I'm not in the US, I have no debt)?

Most student loan companies are smart. They don't give out huge loans to people so they can get worthless liberal-arts degrees. If anyone suffers from that, it'll be the Feds.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I added JBHT and LSTR to my long-term watch list, with more interest in JBHT. They've been doing good, the ratios are pretty good too (altho they have higher than industry average debt). I'm looking at it longterm, anything moving us closer to a North American Union should be beneficial to them. Current price per share seems accurate, so I keep it on my watch list in case it was to drop significantly.

EDIT: Also added MMM.

EDIT: BTW, how do I invest in such funds http://funds.reuters.com/lipper/retail/reuters/fundoverview.asp?fundno=23869 and what should I look out for to figure out if a fund is a good investment?

Tarazet

Ether_Snake said:
I added JBHT and LSTR to my long-term watch list, with more interest in JBHT. They've been doing good, the ratios are pretty good too (altho they have higher than industry average debt). I'm looking at it longterm, anything moving us closer to a North American Union should be beneficial to them. Current price per share seems accurate, so I keep it on my watch list in case it was to drop significantly.

EDIT: Also added MMM.

EDIT: BTW, how do I invest in such funds http://funds.reuters.com/lipper/retail/reuters/fundoverview.asp?fundno=23869 and what should I look out for to figure out if a fund is a good investment?

That's an ETF. You buy and sell it through a broker just like any other stock.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Alright thanks, I'll read up on that. Do you have any tips/warnings about ETFs in general btw?

BTW I just checked my 401k (well its Canadian equivalent). Holy shit, other than the employer contributions, I'm making a shit % if I understand this right, something like 1.79%. Employer contributions is great, free money, but other than that I really have to review this. Plus, what brought me the best return was small-caps (over 9%), but it consists only of 5% of my contributions!

Tarazet

Ether_Snake said:
Alright thanks, I'll read up on that. Do you have any tips/warnings about ETFs in general btw?

Expenses (similar to mutual funds), capital gains taxes. They're managed funds that are meant to mimic the performance of indexes.. or commodities. GLD and SLV are ETFs.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hmm so mutual funds and ETFs have different capital gains taxes than stocks?

EDIT: Just read up on ETFs. I'll read more on it, but it's interesting. The ones that track the Nasdaq, Russell 3000 and S&P are interesting, also USO, GLD, SLV, etc.

the actual capital gains tax itself is the same, but each investment vehicle (etf, mutual fund, stock, etc) realizes capital gains in different ways. In general, ETFs are fairly tax efficient compared with mutual funds and stocks

Tarazet

Ether_Snake said:
Hmm so mutual funds and ETFs have different capital gains taxes than stocks?

It's the same actually. Short-term, it's the same as your income tax bracket. Long-term, it's between 0-15% depending on income.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That's really interesting. It could give me access to investments in Aerospace & Defense which would otherwise be costly (ITA, PPA). Good to know anyway, could be less riskier than investing directly into one company, and I can always do with some more diversification, I feel too close to the tech sector right now (it's what I know best).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Anyone still had BSC?

CRDN up 7%
JBHT also up 7% (mentioned them in a previous post this weekend)
NVDA up 6% (but I'm still not in the green).

Seth C

sonarrat said:
Cruel but true. Citibank went up 10% today in the wake of news of thousands of layoffs of investment bankers.

I should add that the day after Tempur-Pedic laid off 55 they also canned me.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If markets continue to rally from here on, we can expect GOOG and AAPL to be at the head of it. I think a lot of companies might go back to their 52-week high not too far from now, but only if markets are really recovering.

lil smoke

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
If markets continue to rally from here on, we can expect GOOG and AAPL to be at the head of it. I think a lot of companies might go back to their 52-week high not too far from now, but only if markets are really recovering.
:lol? Shit will be back down later this week confirmed.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
sonarrat said:

whoo-hoo, real estate numbers revealed today showed an actual rise in the value of homes in the northeast. So while the rest of the country regresses back to the mean, it looks like things are starting to stabilize in the Northeast Corrider (I still think extreme suburbs are overvalued though). Sorry Californians.

yayaba

Ether_Snake said:

I hold AAPL but I'm not expecting them to rally. If anything I expect them to go back down in the next couple of days.

Market conditions right now just aren't conducive to supporting their lofty highs from last year.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
We'll see.

EA back above 50. Makes me feel like I always make good calls, except on what I DO buy:p

BTW UBI is trading at 49. If everything goes according to plan they should have Splinter Cell 5, Far Cry 2, and Brothers in Arms this fall. They can easily go back to 60. No Assassin's Creed killer-software tho:p

Meanwhile, their Imagine Babies game has sold over a million copies! Imagine Happy Cooking has sold 640,000, and Imagine Fashion Designer 640,000 (and I think those are European numbers only). Those games are dirt cheap to produce.

gkryhewy

Nerevar said:
whoo-hoo, real estate numbers revealed today showed an actual rise in the value of homes in the northeast. So while the rest of the country regresses back to the mean, it looks like things are starting to stabilize in the Northeast Corrider (I still think extreme suburbs are overvalued though). Sorry Californians.

Yeah, uh, we'll see in a couple of months.

rage1973

Ether_Snake said:
Anyone still had BSC?

CRDN up 7%
JBHT also up 7% (mentioned them in a previous post this weekend)
NVDA up 6% (but I'm still not in the green).
NVDA is having a nice day today.
I sold all my AAPL shares today after up almost 10% in a few trading sessions.
Tech was way undervalued so it could definitely go up another 5% as a whole.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
CGT was up 6.73% today. Good news for me, but I'm very long term on them anyway.

kIdMuScLe

ok, I just read that the DOJ approved the merger between XM and Sirius and now it comes down to FCC for the final approval. Soo...i have stocks with Sirius (SIRI) and im wondering what's going to happen to my stock when both company finally merges. does my stock value goes up or down?

Phoenix

I'm still pissed that I wasn't liquid enough to pick up Bear Stearnes when it was in the shitter at 3 bucks. So so pissed.

gkryhewy

Nerevar said:

So it turns out that you were wrong:

NY Times on Case-Shiller index data today said:
In the New York metropolitan area, home values fell just 0.9 percent in January, and 5.8 percent compared to a year earlier. But the drop-off appeared to be gaining speed: values are down nearly 10 percent on a three-month annualized basis.

Tideas

Banned
so guys, I've read somewhere that if you sell stocks you own for less than a year, you gotta pay the tax on it as if it was your regular salary income.

But if you wait after a year, then it's only at most 15% (the capital gain's tax).

So my question is, for those of you who buy and sell regularly, can you still make a profit more if you buy low and sell high, than if you've kept the stock? Here was a scenario I described.

like, let's say, a stock goes up wright?
youve made $200 in profit
you own 100 shares
so it went up $2
after you sell, it dropped $2
so say, out of those $200, you keep $120, $80 going to tax, so you made $120 - $20 in trading costs, which is $100 in profit
now you buy it again after it dropped $2, and it goes up $2 again
if you sell, you'll be at a +$200 in profit, which is the same as if you hadn't sell
right, that's assuming it goes back up

so there's a certain point in which, it's only profitable if you've gained "xxx" amount
cuz the only way selling it is going to be more profit than just keeping the stocks
is if it you just did the above scenario more than twice
cuz now, if you sell it again, yo uget a profit of $200
the stocks fall $2, and you buy it again, and it goes up $2
finally, if you sell it the 3rd time, then you would have made more money than if you had kept the stock

gkryhewy

Tideas said:
so say, out of those $200, you keep $120, $80 going to tax, so you made $120 - $20 in trading costs, which is $100 in profit

$80 going to taxes? :lol :lol The highest fed bracket is 35%, which requires incomes of 325k-ish+. State tax obligations aren't affected by near term or long term holding, at least not in PA.

The bigger factor is being able to consistently time high and low points, which is essentially impossible.

kathode

Tideas said:
So my question is, for those of you who buy and sell regularly, can you still make a profit more if you buy low and sell high, than if you've kept the stock? Here was a scenario I described.

Assuming the stock goes up consistently for a year, you will always make more money holding onto it for the full term until the lower rate kicks in. That's a big assumption though and a long holding period.

In reality stocks move along an average with spikes and dips. If you can buy at the bottom of those dips and sell at the top of the spikes, you'll make much more money than you would just waiting it out, because you're benefiting from the total movement of the stock instead of the average. Doing it perfectly is impossible of course, so you have to judge how much risk you want to take on, since if you're short-term trading you have to make more to overcome that tax gap. Essentially, the risk/reward profile of short-term trading is higher than long-term trading.

Tideas

Banned
gkrykewy said:
$80 going to taxes? :lol :lol The highest fed bracket is 35%, which requires incomes of 325k-ish+. State tax obligations aren't affected by near term or long term holding, at least not in PA.

The bigger factor is being able to consistently time high and low points, which is essentially impossible.

interesting. why does it seem like I'm paying 35% of my weekly wages to tax and other stuff then :(.

question: if you constantly buy and sell, do you have to worry about anything besides the taxes on your revenue from the selling of the stocks?

Like, at the end of the year, is the broker going to send all the details of your stock exchange? Or do you have to do it yourself?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
THQI up 3.49% today and some more in AH, after upgrade from Citi. Not itnerested personally tho. And like I said earlier, UBI was up 10% today. Infogrames up 5%, still waiting Atari's response for total buyout (their next big game is Alone in the Dark).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
IFG (Infogrames) up another 4.78% today. If they can acquire Atari before Alone in the Dark is out it will be a good new start.

CGT is up, probably on buyout speculation (but its been going on for months).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hey anyone knows why headlines on Yahoo Finance no longer have a date next to them? That sucks.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
IFG (Infogrames) was up again 5% today, probably due to Atari facing delisting from the Nasdaq.

Ubi supposedly said FarCry 2 would be delayed, yet yesterday it was announced for fall, so I don't know.

lil smoke

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Hey anyone knows why headlines on Yahoo Finance no longer have a date next to them? That sucks.
Working on my end.

So some private investor is purchasing all of TTWO shares for $26 per? I got a letter in the mail... but I already sold them 2 weeks ago...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
lil smoke said:
Working on my end.

So some private investor is purchasing all of TTWO shares for $26 per? I got a letter in the mail... but I already sold them 2 weeks ago...

Electronic Arts made an offer a couple of weeks ago. If you sold two weeks ago then it means you sold at around 25 I think, which is good (I sold at 25.75 after buying at 15.20 or so). I think personally that ERTS will not manage to buy them, GTA will be a huge success, Carnival Games will continue to sell well, and overall the company will be in good shape to stay at around 30$ a share in the future.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Asian stocks down on signs of slowing US economy.

I'm not buying anything for some time now because I need to save some money. Good luck to everyone else!

kathode

So STP popped up on my screener today and I remembered there was some interest in that stock a while back on this thread. How do people feel about it now? Having a banner day at the moment - up nearly 4 percent!

Top Bottom