• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Oh snap, I didn't realize ETFs weren't as restricted as regular funds. Awesome, good to know. That brings me back to my other question: am I better off buying and selling various non-Vanguard ETFs through Vanguard or through Fidelity? I guess Fidelity wins by default, since Vanguard is geared more for long-term investing, not trading. Or in this case it doesn't matter either way?
Since they're traded on the market it doesn't matter which brokerage you buy with. I'd go with whoever has the lowest commissions, or the best customer service, or the best UI, or other conveniences that matter to you.

Just be aware that timing the market rarely works out as well as you would hope, and those commission fees, bid-ask spreads, and daily pricing changes will eat into your returns if you're trading small amounts frequently.

Also I have *NO IDEA* about anything tax-related for the US, but be aware that trading will trigger capital gains/losses taxes and such. Here in Canada we have tax free savings accounts but you're not allowed to "day trade" in them (definition of day trading is purposefully left vague at the benefit of the tax man).

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member

Silver Coin Sites Grind to a Halt as Reddit Horde Takes Aim​

Retail sites were overwhelmed with demand for silver bars and coins on Sunday, suggesting the Reddit-inspired frenzy that roiled commodities markets last week is spilling over into physical assets.

Sites from Money Metals and SD Bullion to JM Bullion and Apmex, the Walmart of precious metals products in North America, said they were unable to process orders until Asian markets open because of unprecedented demand for silver.

Robert Higgins, chief executive officer at Argent Asset Group LLC in Wilmington, Delaware, said he’s been on the phone trading all day, with people desperate to buy gold or silver.

“It’s a very, very tight physical market right now,” he said. “And I don’t know there’s any answer to it except when things calm down or the market explodes on Sunday at 6 p.m.”

Retail traders, inspired by Reddit posters, stormed into the silver market last week and successfully drove up prices of the physical metal, silver miners and exchange-traded funds. Spot prices, silver futures on the Comex and the largest silver exchange-traded fund, iShares Silver Trust, all climbed more than 5% in the week.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yep ppl do this especially leverage etfs. Which is a no no for me at times. You gotta be careful which ETFs you buy at times Bc people have a very low understanding of the asset structure of the etf. Look at USO for example when oil prices went negative

Oh WOW! That's for that super important point of the ETF buying process. Since GAMR has 27% of it's holdings in GME, that means they'll have to either sell that portion soon or that ETF will take a HUGE hit.

mango drank

Also I have *NO IDEA* about anything tax-related for the US, but be aware that trading will trigger capital gains/losses taxes and such. Here in Canada we have tax free savings accounts but you're not allowed to "day trade" in them (definition of day trading is purposefully left vague at the benefit of the tax man).
Yeah. I think in the US, in regular brokerage accounts (non-retirement), realizing investment profits w/in one year after the investment triggers taxation at your regular income tax rate, whereas realizing profits after one year triggers taxation at the capital gains rate (usually lower).

And day-trading specifically has other definitions and regulations in place. You have to trade frequently intraday to trigger them.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
mSxKQ3g.jpg

Please recover tomm !!!

Last edited:

mango drank

Anybody know of a website that lets you see graphs of the individual stock compositions of different funds over time? I know I can download spreadsheets of fund compositions on the actual fund sites at whatever intervals they update them, but it'd be useful to see graphs of relative percentages for the top 10-20 stocks in a fund, graphed over whatever time spans you want. Googled around, couldn't find anything. Basically I want to be able to input a fund name and get something like this:

8efuX4X.jpg

mango drank

ETFdatabase.
Has some cool visualizations, but for the holding percentages, I'm just seeing the usual text table of the most recent holdings, no history graph of each stock percentage. Is it somewhere else, or locked behind the Pro subscription?

Edit: unrelated, but damn, Morningstar has some cool visualizations for fund holdings. E.g.:

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
Has some cool visualizations, but for the holding percentages, I'm just seeing the usual text table of the most recent holdings, no history graph of each stock percentage. Is it somewhere else, or locked behind the Pro subscription?

locked behind pro subscription is my guess. At my work we have access to a Bloomberg terminal so we can download the data as we see fit.

I’ve heard good things about ETFdatabase thou. I think they would have the asset allocation data history.

ManofOne

Plus Member

Edit: unrelated, but damn, Morningstar has some cool visualizations for fund holdings. E.g.:

I’ve used Morningstar before when I was now entering the field and it’s a good site. The star ratings however a slightly misleading so careful if you’re using it for the ratings as well.

Yoboman

I think there is enough popular momentum for both GME and AMC to grow

There is going to be a lot of fuck you buying and the short sellers seem stuck

But you won't catch a wave like the initial growth

Also lots or newbies will enter and exit their positions pretty quickly

Last edited:

Yoboman

longdi

Banned
Dont think so. People thought it would totally crash but it is stable. Now we have to wait for the US market to wake up to see the results XD
us premarket is open now, only 10% jump! when it used to be >50% for the past few days, before dropping big time during regular hours.

shit should i take pity profits now...

Dunki

us premarket is open now, only 10% jump! when it used to be >50% for the past few days, before dropping big time during regular hours.

shit should i take pity profits now...
why did you really believe it would go up that crazy when NO ONE can buy stocks? It is a wonder that it is still up. If they would lose the stock would still be go to the moon^^

Also this is pretty nice:

325.00+131.40 (+67.87%)
At close: January 29 4:00PM EST

353.90 +28.90 (8.89%)
Before hours: 4:30AM EST

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
why did you really believe it would go up that crazy when NO ONE can buy stocks? It is a wonder that it is still up. If they would lose the stock would still be go to the moon^^

Also this is pretty nice:

325.00+131.40 (+67.87%)
At close: January 29 4:00PM EST

353.90 +28.90 (8.89%)
Before hours: 4:30AM EST
i think you still can buy regular gme stock. it's mainly RH that restricting to 1 each, because they are fuck poor capitalised. kinda worrying that the reddit crowd trade mainly via RH, lots of froth and yolo

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
I don't think there are enough diamond hands in the market right now who can uphold such a large stock price to like $1k or $10k or whatever. A lot of people joining in are new investors. It's easy to say "diamond hands! hold to the moon!" when the stock is going up - but much harder when you see it start to spiral downward, panic, and sell before you lose even more.

ManofOne

Plus Member
I don't think there are enough diamond hands in the market right now who can uphold such a large stock price to like $1k or $10k or whatever. A lot of people joining in are new investors. It's easy to say "diamond hands! hold to the moon!" when the stock is going up - but much harder when you see it start to spiral downward, panic, and sell before you lose even more.

Yah, I'm not a technical trade but GME hit its 52 week high on Thursday (before its eventual collapse after open) and its down 30.0% since then. Seems the market rules are being applied again as stock is settling.

It's gonna be interesting at the open to see how GME, AMC etc responds today.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Oh WOW! That's for that super important point of the ETF buying process. Since GAMR has 27% of it's holdings in GME, that means they'll have to either sell that portion soon or that ETF will take a HUGE hit.

Yah GAMR been on a tear lately but I think I'm going to sell and shift more to Retail stocks. I had owned JWN, Guess, TPR, SIG etc. I sold SIG recently bc of the volatility, so I close out there with a loss sadly.

If anything GAMR should be back to around $80. Once GME settles.

Last edited:

Dunki

Yah, I'm not a technical trade but GME hit its 52 week high on Thursday (before its eventual collapse after open) and its down 30.0% since then. Seems the market rules are being applied again as stock is settling.

It's gonna be interesting at the open to see how GME, AMC etc responds today.
But this was only because buying them was heavily restricted like it still is. I wonder how it would look if it were not.

ManofOne

Plus Member
But this was only because buying them was heavily restricted like it still is. I wonder how it would look if it were not.

I still think it would have failed. Expensive stock, anxiety, daily returns etc....I think ppl finally recognize the power they have and will target other cheaper stocks.

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
The battle has just begun.
When they cry " its not fair" and "somebody needs to do something," it starts to make sense how bad the elite got hurt.

Today is Monday : Old English Mōnandæg, day of the moon’,

Enjoy the show, fellas.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Catching up on the thread. I hope everyone who bought $GME (like me) realize we're most likely going to lose most of our value. It was more of a message than a profit thing.

That's the exact reason it might work. People holding indefinitely are the people willing to lose it all and Thu/Fri held strong. I'm not here to make a quick small return, I'm here to either visit Jupiter or the Mariana trench.

Top Bottom