• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Dunki

Tbh I would short the stock myself now. Trading volume is down and the stock loses momentum fairly quickly. But what do I know about technicals.

I’m a value investor .
i am sure you wold IF this actually was a normal situation or stock. But given your answers I have seen from you you are not a risky person and his is WAY to risky even if you have the money to burn.

Even if you try to spread more panic here but I dobt many people are invested in GME at this point.

Also the reason you pulled out of others as well is because you know these hedgefunds have to pull out from other stocks as well to prepare capital for their shorts. Thats why many big tech stocks are falling as well. It is pretty simple in concept since Hedgefunds try to have as less liquidity as possible. So to cover their losses they have to.

Last edited:
i am sure you wold IF this actually was a normal situation or stock. But given your answers I have seen from you you are not a risky person and his is WAY to risky even if you have the money to burn.

Even if you try to spread more panic here but I dobt many people are invested in GME at this point

He put 100k into amc the other day. You wouldn't consider that risky? Or maybe thats a value investment 🤔

Dunki

He put 100k into amc the other day. You wouldn't consider that risky? Or maybe thats a value investment 🤔
Given the current situation? it was clear AMC would raise. But not on the level of GME. AMC compared to GME was a save bet. And He said before that 100k is nothing to him and just some play money.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
I got out my AMC position minutes after putting it in. I've made most of my money value investing and looking at fundamentals. What happening now is tossing fundamentals out the window. I don't like it and its playing with fire.

Goodluck to those who engage in it. If it works for you i'm not gonna complain but I know enough to realize that if it continues it will just end-up hurting more people than helping.

I''ve taken steps to insulate my portfolio from it and god willing profit from it. As I said if I'm wrong then business as usual for the remaining quarter and my extreme long positions continue on well and I re enter my high vol positions.

Last edited:
Given the current situation? it was clear AMC would raise. But not on the level of GME. AMC compared to GME was a save bet. And He said before that 100k is nothing to him and just some play money.

Nothing is ever gauranteed. If 100k is "play money" (🙄) then there really isn't much risk involved anyway.

Dunki

Nothing is ever gauranteed. If 100k is "play money" (🙄) then there really isn't much risk involved anyway.
He just explained it. It was not a long term investment . Even I understand this. This was safe to keep it for a few hours etc.

As he explained this is not a normal situation and he is not a risky investor

I will be honest if I had money I would have done the same and sold AMC the same day

He just explained it. It was not a long term investment . Even I understand this. This was safe to keep it for a few hours etc.

As he explained this is not a normal situation and he is not a risky investor

I will be honest if I had money I would have done the same and sold AMC the same day
It wasn't clear amc was going up. He lost on amc. Pulled out in minutes. I'm just saying it's kind of contradictory to say 100k is play money, I'm a value investor, then throw in on a volatile stock, dump out after mere minutes and take a loss.

What are we even talking about here? 🤦

Last edited:

Dunki

It wasn't clear amc was going up. He lost on amc. Pulled out in minutes. I'm just saying it's kind of contradictory to say 100k is play money, I'm a value investor, then throw in on a volatile stock, dump out after mere minutes and take a loss.

AMC was riding the hype of GME thats when you should have invested and if he kept it he would have made quite a bit of money as well.

I am not an expert far far far far from it more the opposite but this was just logical thought and knowing the internet.

If it is about normal stocks I would have NO real clue what to invest in. Ok tech stocks is save long term for sure.. Also in the pandemic it was save for these biotech companies but still if you we go the normal stock market. I would have to inform myself about comanies through newsfeeds etc to make a decision^^

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
It wasn't clear amc was going up. He lost on amc. Pulled out in minutes. I'm just saying it's kind of contradictory to say 100k is play money, I'm a value investor, then throw in on a volatile stock, dump out after a few minutes and take a loss.

Lol, again how long you been on this thread you seem to have a problem with me. If you read the convos prior. I said I also never did anything like that before. My net position was actually a gain after cashing out the remaining $50,000 (which was frankly lucky).

I wanted to try something new and go for it, to see what all excitement was about but clearly me doing one thing that isn't along the paradigms of value investing does not make me a value investor.

*eye roll

Lol, again how long you been on this thread you seem to have a problem with me. If you read the convos prior. I said I also never did anything like that before. My net position was actually a gain after cashing out the remaining $50,000 (which was frankly lucky).

I wanted to try something new and go for it, to see what all excitement was about but clearly me doing one thing that isn't along the paradigms of value investing does not make me a value investor.

*eye roll

What does how long I've been here have to do with anything? You realize people don't materialize into existence the day they meet you right?

I just can't make sense of you. Whatever your portfolio is, I don't care. We all have one. Is yours better than mine? Maybe? Probably? Anything's possible.

I'm getting a kick out of reading your constant contradictions that's all.

100k is play money, I am a value investor, drops 100k on a volatile stock, dumps out in minutes when it drops a few points. 🤷

My head is spinning from the contradictions.

Congrats though on the solid portfolio. I'm genuinely happy for you.

ManofOne

Plus Member

Is what I'm saying complicated? Should I dumb it down?

What's happening here before has never happened. So I tried something and it worked out partly. Doesn't change the fact that adhere to value investing values. Of course trying anything new would give you a bit of anxiety and I tried and still profit from it and made a good decision to move on. But you must have a low bar to what is seen as "contradicting."

You sound more condescending than happy. But feel free to add me to ignore if you like.

Last edited:
Is what I'm saying complicated? Should I dumb it down?

What's happening here before has never happened. So I tried something and it worked out partly. Doesn't change the fact that adhere to value investing values. Of course trying anything new would give you a bit of anxiety and I tried and still profit from it and made a good decision to move on. But you must have a low bar to what is seen as "contradicting."

You sound more condescending than happy. But feel free to add me to ignore if you like.

I sound condescending? I do? That's rich!

You constantly talk about how smart your investments are and point out people being dumb throwing a few bucks on a volatile stock.

Then you make a dumb investment and when it goes south it's "pish posh 100k is but a fraction of my portfolio."

Lol. We get it man! Feel free to ignore me too I guess but I'm mature enough to move on.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Then you make a dumb investment and when it goes south it's "pish posh 100k is but a fraction of my portfolio."

Lol. We get it man! Feel free to ignore me too I guess but I'm mature enough to move on.

Lol. See knew you had a hard on for me. All this jelly and no peanut butter. We're in an investment thread dude. Money and figures are going to be toss around here.

I never told anyone here that my investments are smarter than theirs, you need to take off those horse blinders.

Last edited:
Lol. See knew you had a hard on for me. All this jelly and no peanut butter. We're in an investment thread dude. Money is going to be toss around here.

I never told anyone here that my investments are smarter than theirs, need to take off horse blinders.

It must be nice to live in your brain. Where anyone who points out your hypocrisy or criticises you in any way is just jealous 😂

cs17unn.jpg

ManofOne

Plus Member
It must be nice to live in your brain. Where anyone who points out your hypocrisy or criticises you in any way is just jealous 😂

You sound jelly dude. You come into an investment thread, expecting to people not to post their gains, losses and investments sizes. Then criticize me for making a "stupid investment." When, Trading on the momentum and cashing out as soon as you hit your profit marker and when momentum is fading as not being a reasonable investment strategy. Also opening your mouth by falsely accusing me of "enjoying people losing money..." seems to have you're sights on me since the start.

But please :)

Tell Deon Cole GIF by Team Coco

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
Why does Overstock's entire stock history look like a crypto's bubble history? Look at those swings.

unvfXZN.jpg

When your BETA is 4.0 (and the industry median is around 1.5) those wild swings makes sense. OSTK was one of the better trades to start with in march to capitalize on the internet retail hype. OSTK, ETSY, W, FTCH, CHWY etc I think the average return on those stocks were around 500%. From their march lows.

zRGKTR3.jpg

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
Okay got some data here on Short Interest on GameStop

S3 Partners released some information

Number of Shares shorted is 57.83 million. That is down 8.0% over the last 7 days

Mark to Market Loss is $19.75 billion

Based on the shares outstanding of approx, 65 million but 50 million shares floated. That's around 115.0% short interest.

Edit- it seems Melvin is also gone

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Number of Shares shorted is 57.83 million. That is down 8.0%

Based on the shares outstanding of approx, 65 million but 50 million shares floated. That's around 115.0% short interest.

Jim Cantore Rain GIF by The Weather Channel

Dunki

Number of Shares shorted is 57.83 million. That is down 8.0% over the last 7 days

Yeah these hedgefunds lost 19 Billion so far which is still a bit low IMO. Monday will be intersting because other have joined shorten the stock because they predict it will fall a lot on Monday. But WHAT if it does not? How much will these hedgefunds loose?

ManofOne

Plus Member
Yeah these hedgefunds lost 19 Billion so far which is still a bit low IMO. Monday will be intersting because other have joined shorten the stock because they predict it will fall a lot on Monday. But WHAT if it does not? How much will these hedgefunds loose?

I don’t think it’s hedge-funds anymore or atleast a majority of it is hedge funds. It could be other retail traders.

Dunki

I don’t think it’s hedge-funds anymore or atleast a majority of it is hedge funds. It could be other retail traders.
You do not think that hedgefunds now speculating like you do that these shares go down? And that they want to make profit with it? Imagine the option was 300 and then it goes down to 199 or so. How much money would these funds earn? Will they really pass it up?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

You can find out precisely which entities are holding how many short positions on which stocks?

ManofOne

Plus Member
You do not think that hedgefunds now speculating like you do that these shares go down? And that they want to make profit with it? Imagine the option was 300 and then it goes down to 199 or so. How much money would these funds earn? Will they really pass it up?

No what I am saying is that we don’t know who has the majority here in terms of exposure. It could be hedge funds or it could be retail traders. Like 30 percentage of the total short interest could be hedge fund and the remainder are retail investors.

ManofOne

Plus Member
You can find out precisely which entities are holding how many short positions on which stocks?

yah but it will cost me and I don’t have access to a Bloomberg terminal at home (yet atleast). They pull their info from the SEC as they have to declare their ownership position status every quarter unless they own more than 10% or want publicly announce it

I’ll see if I can find it thou.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
yah but it will cost me and I don’t have access to a Bloomberg terminal at home (yet atleast). They pull their info from the SEC as they have to declare their ownership position status every quarter unless they own more than 10% or want publicly announce it

I’ll see if I can find it thou.

I remember reading somewhere that the obligations for reporting short interest were pretty loose and certainly were not anything close to real time... Do you know much about that?

ManofOne

Plus Member
I remember reading somewhere that the obligations for reporting short interest were pretty loose and certainly were not anything close to real time... Do you know much about that?

like who owns it. Ya that true but it also depends on the amount owed. Most of the data is pulled from the sec. if you go on the SEC website now and type on Melvin Capital and check their latest quarterly report you would see the puts they had owned in game stop but it has not updated since then. Some sites do have an update tho.

Dunki

like who owns it. Ya that true but it also depends on the amount owed. Most of the data is pulled from the sec. if you go on the SEC website now and type on Melvin Capital and check their latest quarterly report you would see the puts they had owned in game stop but it has not updated since then. Some sites do have an update tho.
I heard they also can put an optioin to their option so basically invest more money to a higher price to cover their losses later on

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I heard they also can put an optioin to their option so basically invest more money to a higher price to cover their losses later on

I had been thinking about that.

What's to stop them from just shorting it even more at the higher price and selling it to simultaneously push the price down and return their old short positions?

ManofOne

Plus Member

You talking about a long straddle? I think the assumption was that they were naked in their positions (I only saw put options for Melvin, correct me if I’m wrong). but hedge funds are smarter than that so they prob protecting themselves from significant risk this time around

HoodWinked

I had been thinking about that.

What's to stop them from just shorting it even more at the higher price and selling it to simultaneously push the price down and return their old short positions?

Nothing just if they are willing to double down. But also shorting now due to the stock's high price, low availability, high volitity will mean even higher interest and premiums on lent shares or options.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing just if they are willing to double down. But also shorting now due to the stock's high price, low availability, high volitity will mean even higher interest and premiums on lent shares or options.

Yeah, I'm kind of combining this in my head with the idea they might engage in a crazy illegal conspiracy in which they collude to just completely waive interest and premiums indefinitely.

I hope I'm completely wrong, but after what we saw last week, it really seems like all stops will be pulled out to not let the dirty poors and normies win.

Last edited by a moderator:

ManofOne

Plus Member
Yeah, I'm kind of combining this in my head with the idea they might engage in a crazy illegal conspiracy in which they collude to just completely waive interest and premiums indefinitely.

I hope I'm completely wrong, but after what we saw last week, it really seems like all stops will be pulled out to not let the dirty poors and normies win.

I would imagine the hedge funds and/or retail traders are hedging their bets. With volatility so high, it would be detrimental to their portfolio taking only one position. So they could be long and short at the same time. That’s prob a reason why the short interest barely moved.

The only stock movements are the result of those who only just only buying or selling

Last edited:

mango drank

What's a good way to trade based on the movements of the VIX? After skimming one article, VXX looks pretty good. XVZ less so. Are there other better funds or methods?

Last edited:

Starfield

What do you guys think of Embracer Group?

Koch Media, Deep Silver, Warhorse Studios, 4A Games....all those companies are under the Embracer Group (THQ Nordic) Umbrellla.

Dying Light 2 looks to have development problems but it could become the next big hit of publisher Deep Silver. Kingdome Come Deliverance sold over 3Mil copies and was a hit. Metro Exodus sold more copies thany any Metro game ever, they are working on a successor aswell.

Looks like it may be a good idea to buy some of their stock and wait for the future?

edit: They've also been on a MASSIVE aquisition spray this year

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

GameStop short sellers are still not surrendering despite nearly $20 billion in losses this month​

• Short-selling hedge funds have suffered a mark-to-market loss of $19.75 billion year to date in the brick-and-mortar video game retailer GameStop, according to data from S3 Partners.
  • Still, short sellers mostly are holding onto their bearish positions or they are being replaced by new hedge funds willing to bet against the stock.

II know these are still peanuts but we are getting there^^

And the fun part is they are now eating themsevles and try to push other hedgefunds out of business

They are shorting gamestop know because they hope it wil fall and then they make tons of money. So what you have to do is to HOLD and BUY

So after all this BS, the short float only dropped 8%? Wow. Looks like GME will be $300+ for a while.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So whats their endgame here? Pray that retail investors get bored/scared and bail?
One thing I'm not sure about the 8% is how that 8% is constructed. But the net result is the general short pool is holding tight. You'd think there would be shitloads bailing this week.

On one extreme, it's zero more shorts, and 8% of shorters bailing. About 5 million.

In another example, it could be an influx of 10 million new short shares coming in lately (before platform shut downs), countered with 15 million short bailing. Net result 5 million reduction.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Anyone seeing that the put call ratio is 5.1?
I don't follow call and put options, but according to you charts with that 5:1, are you able to ballpark how many puts are short termers expiring in the next month or two and how many are way out later in the year? And what the general put strike price is heavily skewed to?

If it's lots of short term puts at let's say $200 or less, there will be lots of fucked people if this $300 price sticks.

Aesius

So whats their endgame here? Pray that retail investors get bored/scared and bail?
Was thinking about this today and it makes the most sense to me. They will ride out the hype, keep the stock at a steady price between $300-$400, eat the smaller mounting losses/costs, and hope that people become impatient and sell, thus minimizing their overall damage. I think if they can drag this out another week or two, they can avoid the potential catastrophic losses they might otherwise have faced.

Was thinking about this today and it makes the most sense to me. They will ride out the hype, keep the stock at a steady price between $300-$400, eat the smaller mounting losses/costs, and hope that people become impatient and sell, thus minimizing their overall damage. I think if they can drag this out another week or two, they can avoid the potential catastrophic losses they might otherwise have faced.

Since it's turned into a "movement" it's entirely possible you could have a few million stock owners with only 1-10 shares. Shouldn't be too hard to hold onto that many shares for a few weeks.

With the interest being paid on shorts they really don't want to keep this up forever.

Last edited:
Top Bottom