• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

That's assuming optimal conditions so an extension of their sales credit, larger market share globally (right now in europe VW is catching up big-time), additional revenue streams from added services.

I think if they launch added services and do things like BaaS etc, they're gonna surpass that trillion dollar mark faster than expected.
What if full self driving pans out? I think that's not taken into account. If they can bring robotaxis within a few years, that could be extremely positive.

ManofOne

Plus Member
What if full self driving pans out? I think that's not taken into account. If they can bring robotaxis within a few years, that could be extremely positive.

True but from what I'm hearing APPLE is making strides in that automated driving and as my university professor always said

“first mover advantages often creates high barriers to entry." So we'll see how it pans out for TSLA.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
So I have about 5K I plan on dipping back into the market after pulling out in my early 20s due to health issues.

I am looking at some "safe" bets in MSFT and SPY. What would the gaffers say about that?

Disney also seems like a no brainier for me. But it seems analyst's arent convinced?

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
So I have about 5K I plan on dipping back into the market after pulling out in my early 20s due to health issues.

I am looking at some "safe" bets in MSFT and SPY. What would the gaffers say about that?

Disney also seems like a no brainier for me. But it seems analyst's arent convinced?

When investing always consider your risk. So while putting money in SPY and MSFT is generally considered safe. The problem there is that these two asset share a high correlation. So it won't make sense buying the two or having an equal weight for the two. MSFT makes up 5.6% of S&P weight.

You can have a higher weight for individual companies and lower weight in SPY.

jDElkZa.jpg

Last edited:

DarkestHour

Banned
Playing it safe has worked out well for me. I've only lost money on taking risks, but risks are also how you can make the big money. Like ManofOne said, consider your risk. Wife and kids? Low risk. Single with tons of spare cash and low to no debt? Go crazy.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
When investing always consider your risk. So while putting money in SPY and MSFT is generally considered safe. The problem there is that these two asset share a high correlation. So it won't make sense buying the two or having an equal weight for the two. MSFT makes up 5.6% of S&P weight.

You can have a higher weight for individual companies and lower weight in SPY.

jDElkZa.jpg
Good to know.

So maybe I am confused on Index funds? I tend to find myself gravitating towards tech stocks as I am most plugged into that sector so perhaps I need to look at index funds in fields I am not plugged into?
Playing it safe has worked out well for me. I've only lost money on taking risks, but risks are also how you can make the big money. Like ManofOne said, consider your risk. Wife and kids? Low risk. Single with tons of spare cash and low to no debt? Go crazy.
I dont have a ton of risk other than my health sadly but its mostly on the upswing and I am properly insured now as before I was not. Also single AF.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Good to know.

So maybe I am confused on Index funds? I tend to find myself gravitating towards tech stocks as I am most plugged into that sector so perhaps I need to look at index funds in fields I am not plugged into?

Nothing is wrong with buying SPY but I just letting you know that an equal weight in MSFT and SPY may not be good since both share the same risk.

SPY Holdings. Microsoft shares 5.63% of SPY holdings and it's tracking error is ridiclously low compared to the median.

Qh3vuEQ.jpg

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Nothing is wrong with buying SPY but I just letting you know that an equal weight in MSFT and SPY may not be good since both share the same risk.

SPY Holdings. Microsoft shares 5.63% of SPY holdings and it's tracking error is ridiclously low compared to the median.

Qh3vuEQ.jpg
Oh OK, That makes more sense.

Whats your take on DIS by itself?

ManofOne

Plus Member
Oh OK, That makes more sense.

Whats your take on DIS by itself?

Excellent company. Its fairly valued at 175 so it around market perform now. Huge problem with legacy media and covid related costs going foward. Disney plus is a boon if executed properly.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
ConocoPhillips EPS beats by $0.06, beats on revenue
  • ConocoPhillips (NYSE:COP): Q4 Non-GAAP EPS of -$0.19 beats by $0.06; GAAP EPS of -$0.72 misses by $0.41.
  • Revenue of $6.05B (-21.5% Y/Y) beats by $1.36B.
  • Production of 1,118 vs. 1154 Mboe/d consensus.
Up 2.0%

Dance Dancing GIF by Soul Train

ManofOne

Plus Member

Exxon edges past Q4 earnings expectations but full-year loss totals $20B​

Feb. 02, 2021 8:25 AM ET Exxon Mobil Corporation (XOM)
  • Exxon Mobil (NYSE:XOM) +1.6% pre-market after reporting better than expected Q4 adjusted earnings while revenues fell 30.7% Y/Y to a below-consensus $46.5B.
  • Exxon swung to a Q4 GAAP net loss of $20.07B, or $4.70/share, from net income of $5.69B, or $1.33/share, in the year-ago quarter.
  • For the full year, it was the company's first annual loss as a public company, posting a net loss of $22.44B for FY 2020 compared with a full-year profit of $14.34B in 2019.
  • But excluding a $19.3B writedown of U.S. natural gas and other assets, Exxon returned to an adjusted profit in Q4 to end a run of three consecutive quarterly losses.
  • The company says it exceeded cost-reduction objectives, with FY 2020 capital spending of $21B coming in $2B below target, while cash operating expense fell more than 15% from 2019, of which $3B was a structural reduction.
  • Q4 production fell 8.2% Y/Y to 3.69M boe/day, consistent with Q3; the company says output was reduced by government mandated curtailments.
  • For 2021, the company expects cash flow will cover capex and maintain the dividend and strong balance sheet, assuming Brent prices of $50/bbl.
  • Exxon says it elected former Petronas president and group CEO Tan Sri Wan Zulkiflee Wan Ariffin to its board, and expects to take further action in the near-term to revamp its board.
  • "The past year presented the most challenging market conditions Exxon Mobil has ever experienced," Chairman and CEO Darren Woods says, noting that cost structure improvements are expected to deliver structural expense savings of $6B/year by 2023 relative to 2019.
  • Exxon yesterday announced the creation of a new business, ExxonMobil Low Carbon Solutions, to commercialize its low-carbon technology portfolio.

Sold 10 GME shares at $130, average price paid $270.

Holding 5 but will probably drop them soon.

What a disaster that turned out to be.

Sorry man. This makes me think about pumpers on ST and WSB....anyone who says something is going to price $X is probably planning on selling for $X-Y and hoping bagholders push the price where they want it to go.

Sorry man. This makes me think about pumpers on ST and WSB....anyone who says something is going to price $X is probably planning on selling for $X-Y and hoping bagholders push the price where they want it to go.
I'm more surprised the price didn't blow given the insane amount of traction GME was getting last week.

ManofOne

Plus Member

It always people at the top of the triangle that made money. I'm really sorry for the people who lost and MORE so people who lost their life savings. RH should have given ppl more time to adjust rather than shutdown

Edit: MM were losing money and their trading desk was under stress I imagine.

BNzyv8S.jpg

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

I never cared about fucking hedge funds or having diamond hands. I got some nice profit on a stock Robinhood gave me for free like a year ago and this also exposed them as a scumbag company I’ll never use again.

I am eating shit with AMC though.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I never cared about fucking hedge funds or having diamond hands. I got some nice profit on a stock Robinhood gave me for free like a year ago and this also exposed them as a scumbag company I’ll never use again.

I am eating shit with AMC though.
I don't use RH as I just go through my bank. But always heard about the no-fee thing. MY bro told me about how it works and it seems sketchy as fuck where it might look nice you don't get a $5 commission fee, but on the backend the price you did the transaction is actually a touch worse than you think but you are hidden from the details.

That's all I heard.

BigBooper

There was a huge runup on a meme stock like this back when Obama was president. Anyone remember what that was? I've been trying to Google it but nothing. I remember it going around Facebook and them talking about it on TV.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
All these Reddit stocks crash and burning.

If any of you believe these stocks have some value, you can always buy them at the pre-Reddit price if it keeps crashing, assuming it won't go lower and it can only stabilize. Ballparked at this:

- AMC $2.50
- Blackberry $10 (about $12 CDN). BB was actually a bit lower but got bumped up due to patent and QNX news unrelated to Reddit
- My fav Trivago $2.10 - $2.20
- GME $10 for a while, then bumped to $20 in the fall due to MSFT. If you are bullish on latest news, I think it was $30 when the Chewy news came out
- NOK $4

Last edited:

finowns

All these Reddit stocks crash and burning.

If any of you believe these stocks have some value, you can always buy them at the pre-Reddit price if it keeps crashing, assuming it won't go lower and it can only stabilize. Ballparked at this:

- AMC $2.50
- Blackberry $10 (about $12 CDN). BB was actually a bit lower but got bumped up due to patent and QNX news unrelated to Reddit
- My fav Trivago $2.10 - $2.20
- GME $10 for a while, then bumped to $20 in the fall due to MSFT. If you are bullish on latest news, I think it was $30 when the Chewy news came out
- NOK $4
I’m in NOK a 100 shares @ 5.95 I meme’d too hard.

Top Bottom