• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

haxan7

Banned
Some fuckery is afoot with GME at the moment, if anyone is still paying attention. Halted at $119 after dipping to 70 something.

People are saying the SEC restricted short selling of GME, but not sure if it's true.

I am mostly off the hypetrain but kept 1/3 of my shares because I'm comfortable with that amount going to 0.

Last edited:
Some fuckery is afoot with GME at the moment, if anyone is still paying attention. Halted at $119 after dipping to 70 something.

People are saying the SEC restricted short selling of GME, but not sure if it's true.

I am mostly off the hypetrain but kept 1/3 of my shares because I'm comfortable with that amount going to 0.

Short sale restriction is supposed to kick in once an equity loses 10% of its value in a trading session, but if it continues to dip that means people are just selling and cutting their losses.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Yes you can buy shares via a European broker. However when you deposit money into your account it is EUROs.

So you would have to convert it from EURO to USD via your trading app. DO NOT start trading unless you do this or else the stocks you are buying will be money used from the broker. They will charge you a margin fee

Wow here i am trying to buy more SPY and my limit price continues to fall behind the market price. Jesus.
lol, hate when that happens.

I grabbed some more SPY when it dipped into the 370's last week
Any reason to choose SPY over VOO? Nearly identical holdings, market caps, performance, etc. while SPY gets the nod on dividends and VOO gets the nod on ER and price. I ended up going with VOO over SPY years ago when I started throwing money into the market and just curious why SPY seems to be so much more popular.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
I like SPY just out of habit plus I been trading it for a long time so my MoS is pretty decent on it.

It just the largest and most liquid imo.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

WHOA! That's a long time.

I don't use RH as I just go through my bank. But always heard about the no-fee thing. MY bro told me about how it works and it seems sketchy as fuck where it might look nice you don't get a $5 commission fee, but on the backend the price you did the transaction is actually a touch worse than you think but you are hidden from the details.

That's all I heard.

What do you mean by the bolded?

All these Reddit stocks crash and burning.

If any of you believe these stocks have some value, you can always buy them at the pre-Reddit price if it keeps crashing, assuming it won't go lower and it can only stabilize. Ballparked at this:

- AMC $2.50
- Blackberry $10 (about $12 CDN). BB was actually a bit lower but got bumped up due to patent and QNX news unrelated to Reddit
- My fav Trivago $2.10 - $2.20
- GME $10 for a while, then bumped to $20 in the fall due to MSFT. If you are bullish on latest news, I think it was $30 when the Chewy news came out
- NOK $4

Does Trivago like staying around $2.15? If so, I'm guessing it makes sense to buy it if it hit under $2 right?

dont forget to buy some sony stocks, tomorrow earnings should pop., 110 by end of the weak. yolo

Hmmmmm.......marked.

HoodWinked

while SPY gets the nod on dividends.
Di0KCiO.jpg

I don't think it actually has higher dividend I think it only looks higher because each share is more expensive when taken as a percent voo is higher

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Other than Playstation are they expected to do well?

I would be a little skeptical. Even with PlayStation, there's uncertainty due to components shortages and no clear timeline on when that will be rectified. Sony Pictures is almost certainly in the red, and they have no dedicated streaming service to provide alternative revenue.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I would be a little skeptical. Even with PlayStation, there's uncertainty due to components shortages and no clear timeline on when that will be rectified. Sony Pictures is almost certainly in the red, and they have no dedicated streaming service to provide alternative revenue.
Good point. I know they have focused a lot more on Playstation as they have sold off other aspects but I havent not kept up.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
EDIT: Im an idiot. The RH app color coded things in a way that was really confusing.

Last edited:
Thinking the US Stock Market will crash in the next few months once the Stimulus is stopped.

Currently back up to 25% gains across the Portfolio.

Gamestop really went down quite fast. I expected it to stay up for another week.

Not sure if any UK Investors here are in B&M Shares, but they are paying their 2nd Dividend in the space of 2 months!?!

ManofOne

Plus Member
Anyone here benchmarks their portfolio? This is a great way to measure your success and studies have shown by bench marking it fosters a more discipline investment approach.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Ok so...this might be a duh moment but calls/options are starting to make sense for me.

It seems like as long as the market volatility is stable they are a safe way to try and make some money but you just have to have the capital to input. Like looking at some AAPL calls I am seeing some of them that go out to march lets say have very low risk as long as your have the $1500-$2000 to put up for the premiums. And as long as the market doesn't totally tank you are unlikely to have anything terrible happen?

sackings

Ok so...this might be a duh moment but calls/options are starting to make sense for me.

It seems like as long as the market volatility is stable they are a safe way to try and make some money but you just have to have the capital to input. Like looking at some AAPL calls I am seeing some of them that go out to march lets say have very low risk as long as your have the $1500-$2000 to put up for the premiums. And as long as the market doesn't totally tank you are unlikely to have anything terrible happen?
Personal advice dont mess with calls/options unless you really know what ur doing. The best investment strategy is still to buy and hold.

sobaka770

Banned

Maybe, but those are basically gambling on underlying while owning stock is much more safe. I personally am not ready for such level of stress so until I have time and put effort into a strong case I am not touching those. Yes, there's leverage but those gambling mechanisms are shady business.

To me the best way to actually use options is to protect losses or to insure gains through puts at least on a basic level.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Maybe, but those are basically gambling on underlying while owning stock is much more safe. I personally am not ready for such level of stress so until I have time and put effort into a strong case I am not touching those. Yes, there's leverage but those gambling mechanisms are shady business.

To me the best way to actually use options is to protect losses or to insure gains through puts at least on a basic level.

Can you elaborate?

ManofOne

Plus Member
I know we talking about options BUT GOOGL options baby!!!

Alphabet logs 6% jump as ad-sales rebound spurs 23.5% revenue gains in Q4​

• Alphabet is jumping postmarket (GOOG +6.1%, GOOGL +6.4%) after easily surpassing fourth-quarter earnings expectations with a quarter showing a healthy rebound in ad spending and broad revenue gains companywide.
  • Revenues soared 23.5% overall to $56.9%, and operating income jumped 69% to $15.65B.
  • Net income meanwhile jumped to $15.23B from the prior-year $10.67B.
  • Higher revenues were driven by Search and YouTube as consumer/business activity rebounded from the pandemic onset.
  • Google Cloud saw a substantial uptick in revenues, but was a drag on operating income, losing $1.24B for the quarter (and losing $5.6B in fiscal 2020).
  • “Our strong results this quarter reflect the helpfulness of our products and services to people and businesses, as well as the accelerating transition to online services and the cloud," says CEO Sundar Pichai.
  • Revenue by segment: Google Search & other, $31.9B (up 17.4%); YouTube ads, $6.89B (up 46%); Google Network Members' properties, $7.41B (up 22.9%); Google other, $6.67B (up 26.8%); Google Cloud, $3.83B (up 46.6%); Other Bets, $196M (up 14%).
  • Operating margin rose to 28% from a year-ago 20%. Traffic acquisition costs rose to $10.47B from $8.5B

ManofOne

Plus Member
End of an ERA

Jeff Bezos stepping down as Amazon CEO, Andy Jassy will take reins​

• Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) CEO Jeff Bezos will step into the role of Executive Chair in Q3 and Andy Jassy, current Amazon Web Services head, will become CEO.
  • The news comes as Amazon reports upside Q4 results.
  • Amazon shares are up 1.5% AH.
  • Although his departure was announced last year, Amazon consumer boss Jeff Wilke officially made his exit last month. Wilke was considered the number two at the company.

Episode 9 GIF by South Park

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I saw some rooms in Clubhouse with this title and just dismissed it as craziness.

Goddamn. End of an era for sure. Wonder if this will change the stock at all.

ManofOne

Plus Member
The guy taking over has been apart of the earnings calls from time to time. They were suspecting him of taking over for a while now. He seems capable.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Really excellent explanation of why Robinhood did what it did last week.

I'm still leaving the platform, because they fucked up their communications and I'm not confident in their long-term solvency, but man, if they just put out this proper explanation last Wednesday evening, I feel like things would have been very different for them.

ManofOne

Plus Member

I'm still leaving the platform, because they fucked up their communications and I'm not confident in their long-term solvency, but man, if they just put out this proper explanation last Wednesday evening, I feel like things would have been very different for them.

The one thing he forgot to explain is that Payment Order Flow Businesses are the worst when it comes to this kind of situation.

I personally would have recommended to close Robin-Hood completely and transfer shares to more capitalized broker that is able to meet net capital requirements

Also if anyone wants to learn more about how settlements are done see below.

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/what-do-t1-t2-and-t3-mean/

SpartanN92

Banned

This is bullshit though, they should have made a public announcement during trading hours instead of waiting until 45 minutes before premarket opened.
Watching the stock go from about $500 to $340 in that time was the longest 45 minutes of my life and regardless of their stated intentions it had a very clear positive effect for Wallstreet Hedgefunds and a very clear negative effect for retail traders.

Fuck Robinhood.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member

Robinhood CEO calls for real-time trade settlement​

• After receiving a $3B deposit demand from the National Securities Clearing Corporation last week in the height of the GameStop (NYSE:GME) -56% rally, Robinhood (RBNHD) is now calling for trades to settle in real-time.
  • CEO Vlad Tenev writes in a blog that the current two-day settlement period, known as T+2, exposes investors and the industry to unnecessary risk.
  • "The clearinghouse deposit requirements are designed to mitigate risk, but last week’s wild market activity showed that these requirements, coupled with an unnecessarily long settlement cycle, can have unintended consequences that introduce new risk," Tenev says.
  • He adds that the industry moved to two days from three days four years ago and stakeholders, including the SEC and Depositary Trust & Clearing Corporation, see the benefits of shorter settlement time.
  • Technology "is the answer, not the oft-cited impediment," Tenev says.
  • Robinhood whittled down its list of limited stocks to six today and boosted trade limits on shares.

This by the way means no more Citadel. But it move towards brokerage fees.

finowns

I think I’m going back into cnk tomorrow I sold at 21.5 and it’s dropped back to 19. CNK is AMC’s bigger competition they were 30+ before Covid.

Top Bottom