• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

ManofOne

Plus Member
gfrvwF4.jpg

Financials and Energy holding well. Hoping OPEC keeps the cuts going.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Up 1%. Michael Stores buy out rumour making it go up another $1.50.

If its true and it gets bought out for lets say $25, Ill be happy. Bought it the week after the crazy reddit pump job week in Jan.

We'll see. I had GME 3 years ago when there were Sycamore buy out rumours. And those never happened.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
For those who bought LHTM.

Hope ya'll averaged down to around $18.00. You should be glad with the performance so far. Hopefully it continues going fowards

HoodWinked

RKT halted, fuck fuck fuck last night i was thinking i should wake up early to buy when market opens and i said fuck it i'll just sleep.

Last edited:
I'm starting to sense that MM and hedge funds are trying to make the overall markets pay every time there is a squeeze on a stock and WSB is blamed for it.

TrainedRage

Banned
Regret not buying that when it was cheap :messenger_persevering:

Chinese ev getting crushed today T_T
Luckily I got GE and Ford during that huge drop. Picked them up for like 3$ got like 30 shares. Making like 60% now lol. It’s up to almost 13 for each. For some reason GE and Ford don’t seem to dip when most other stocks do. Thinking of dumping Apple and just getting more Ford and GE.

GHG

For those who bought LHTM.

Hope ya'll averaged down to around $18.00. You should be glad with the performance so far. Hopefully it continues going fowards

Bloody volatile isn't it?

Honestly I should have sold out when it was 21 earlier then bought back in before the close.

I'm 19.88 average so I had room to do so. It's a learn, if it's on an up day and there's no news catalyst then I'll just do what needs to be done.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Bloody volatile isn't it?

Honestly I should have sold out when it was 21 earlier then bought back in before the close.

I'm 19.88 average so I had room to do so. It's a learn, if it's on an up day and there's no news catalyst then I'll just do what needs to be done.

I reduce my position in it but also reduced my average price. I still think its a worthy stock as time goes on but its ultra long term 1 year or 2.

GHG

I reduce my position in it but also reduced my average price. I still think its a worthy stock as time goes on but its ultra long term 1 year or 2.

Yeh it's a long term hold for me as well but I think I'll try to take advantage of the volatility in the meantime.

Whenever WSB are up to no good it fucks the whole market. Last week it was GME and this week it's RKT. I wish they would just fuck off. The day started off so strongly and then as soon as RKT starts taking off around 12:45 everything else starts to get fucked.

Last edited:

GHG

It's coming to the point where I might need to join these WSB fuckers and hold small positions in the stocks they are looking at attacking so that it covers my losses on the days that they fuck up the market.

An Aussie company has been approved for a surface spray that kills Covid in 90 seconds (down from the industry standard of 10-20 minutes for surface sprays) and has just released a 5.5mil product run into the Aussie market e.g. aged care, public etc. They're poised to sell internationally from now until mid-year, which of course will be exponential growth. My trouble is I can't find a stock to trade on them -

BioInnovate Pty Ltd is the company (private), backed by Procurement Australasia Limited (public company, listed by shares). I'm unable to find an ASX listing for the public company to invest. As I am a beginner in share investing I wonder where else I need to look. It was my understanding public trading enables share investment?

This is the product, ViroCLEAR

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
Have you looked at Lithium Americas and Albemarle? And if so, what made you go LHTM over them?
LHTM shifted its production away from lithium carbonate to lithium hyrodoxide. EV manufacturers will be making the necessary changes over the next 5 years.

Quote from the latest report on Lithium Carbonate

Lithium carbonate accounted for around 60pc of lithium demand in 2018, but battery technology development is increasing demand for lithium hydroxide, which is expected to account for a larger share of the market by 2024, said Bart Vanden Bossche, sales director at Chilean producer SQM. Demand for lithium carbonate is expected to rise at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 10-14pc in 2018-27, while lithium hydroxide demand is seen rising at a 25-29pc CAGR.

Consumer concerns about the driving range of EVs have prompted the government in China, the world's largest EV market, to use subsidies to incentivise production of lithium-ion batteries with higher energy densities. That has precipitated a switch to cathode material manufacturers using compounds of lithium nickel-cobalt-manganese (NCM) and lithium nickel-cobalt-aluminium (NCA) rather than lithium iron phosphate (LFP).

But the higher nickel content in NCM cathodes can present challenges in terms of chemical stability. If the metals are used in a ratio of six parts nickel to two parts cobalt and two parts manganese (6-2-2), or 8-1-1, rather than 1-1-1 or 5-3-2 as in the past, the chemistry requires lithium hydroxide rather than lithium carbonate. Cathodes using an 8-1-1 ratio are some way from commercial viability, owing to safety problems with the chemistry, delegates heard.

As nickel content approaches 60pc, the higher temperature required to synthesise cathode material with lithium carbonate damages the crystal structure of the cathode and changes the oxidation state of the nickel metal. But lithium hydroxide allows rapid and complete synthesis at lower temperatures, increasing the performance and lifespan of the battery, said Marina Yakovleva, global commercial manager for new product and technology development at lithium producer Livent.

Trade flows reflect the increasing use of lithium NCM cathodes. China imported 20,394t of NCM oxide from South Korea and Japan in 2018, up from 9,142t in 2017 and 2,352t in 2015, data from Global Trade Tracker show.

That change in demand is prompting producers to expand their lithium hydroxide output and shifting mining projects towards developing lithium hydroxide production rather than lithium carbonate.

It share price has also increased at a rate faster than other stock leaders (ALB for example) . Lithium is 100% of it product line so it is susceptible to commodity shocks and price swings.

However, the market is entering a supply constraint as EV grows so you will see a massive boon going foward in the EV metal market. The company also fully owns or partially owns some of the largest Lithium mines in the world so expect a boon if prices will pick up.

The BMW contract is a huge boon to the company and if they sign with Tesla and other suppliers you're easily seeing a good rise.

There is also a lot of financial info I like but I'm seeing a catalyst for the company which could work in its favour

Last edited:

Honey Bunny

Thanks.

Hold onto your butts, reddit just got its own ETF: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-meme-stock-drama-gets-the-etf-treatment-11614723514?

Day-trading Reddit-readers nearly crashed the stock market. Now they’re in an ETF.​

If you thought an ETF made up of the buzziest stocks, as determined by social-media chatter, seemed like the natural conclusion to late January’s Reddit-fueled roller-coaster ride through the stock market, you were right.

On Thursday, asset manager VanEck will launch the VanEck Vectors Social Sentiment ETF, which offers exposure to stocks with “the most bullish investor sentiment and perception.” On Tuesday, however, VanEck’s plans to roll out the fund in the standard orderly fashion fell victim to the curse of 2021.

Last edited:

Delf

Banned
Who here in Solar?

I got into SIRC off the OTC Market at around $1.

Revenue was up 130% 3rd Quarter, since January they've made 2 or 3 acquisitions this year alone.

This is an 'early play' that no doubt will pay off.
VYCaxvD.jpg

I'm gonna keep dumping a few bucks in it while its still low every week.
W12ezzR.jpg

Last edited:

SpartanN92

Banned
Dave Portnoy needs to shut the fuck up sometimes. Jesus Christ this is going to end badly. Social Media sentiment ETF is just nuts. The expense cost of that ETF is gonna be high
I remember reading about the events leading up the Great Depression, and the ‘08 financial crisis and thinking in hindsight the consequences seem so obvious but I understand that leading up to those events people were legitimately caught off guard and for good reasons.

When the market truly collapses again I think it’s safe to say that pouring money into an ETF whose ticker probably ends up being “YOLO” that we 100% should have seen it coming.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
I got into SIRC off the OTC Market at around $1.

Revenue was up 130% 3rd Quarter, since January they've made 2 or 3 acquisitions this year alone.

Solar overall is going to be down for a little while Biden signed off on a few things that worked against them. So hedge your position if you can

Cyberpunkd

Any opinion on rare metals industry? I was thinking MP Materials, but as everything it look crazy overvalued (500% growth since November).

I need to disinvest Alibaba and Facebook, and since everything else is in tech as well I am looking at diversifying to another vertical.

GHG

Any opinion on rare metals industry? I was thinking MP Materials, but as everything it look crazy overvalued (500% growth since November).

I need to disinvest Alibaba and Facebook, and since everything else is in tech as well I am looking at diversifying to another vertical.

While not strictly rare metals, I took a small position in Pick yesterday.

Frankly, I've come to realise I don't know enough about the industry yet to buy into individual companies. I have no clue what looks under/overvalued and what's a fair price so from there it's difficult to formulate exit strategies. It's an area I need to research more though because it's definitely an area to watch this year. USA Rare earth will also be doing an IPO at some point but I don't think a date is set yet.

ManofOne

Plus Member

I have my eye on IMPUY right now alongside my other bets

ManofOne

Plus Member

Retail investors pile into Fidelity as accounts surge 17% to 26M​

• Here's another statistic showing the retail investor surge that's hitting the market. Fidelity's retail accounts totaled 26M in 2020, up 17% from a year earlier, while daily trading volume doubled.
  • Driving the trend was the rest of the brokerage industry dropping commissions to zero, which attracted a new generation of investors into the market. Brokerages were also bolstered as more people stayed at home due to COVID-19.
  • "It's tough to find any silver linings from a pandemic year, but the increases in customer volumes pushed us to move faster in areas that were already long-term priorities," Abigail Johnson, Fidelity's chairman and chief executive, wrote in her annual letter.
  • Despite the massive growth, Fidelity's annual revenue inched just $100M higher than its 2019 total of $20.9B. While low- or no-cost accounts don't help short-term profit margins, brokerages are hoping their new customers will turn to them for more lucrative services like financial advice.
  • Last week, Morgan Stanley CFO Jonathan Pruzan said daily trading activity on the E*Trade self-directed online trading platform is "off the charts."

• Here's another statistic showing the retail investor surge that's hitting the market. Fidelity's retail accounts totaled 26M in 2020, up 17% from a year earlier, while daily trading volume doubled.
  • Driving the trend was the rest of the brokerage industry dropping commissions to zero, which attracted a new generation of investors into the market. Brokerages were also bolstered as more people stayed at home due to COVID-19.
  • "It's tough to find any silver linings from a pandemic year, but the increases in customer volumes pushed us to move faster in areas that were already long-term priorities," Abigail Johnson, Fidelity's chairman and chief executive, wrote in her annual letter.
  • Despite the massive growth, Fidelity's annual revenue inched just $100M higher than its 2019 total of $20.9B. While low- or no-cost accounts don't help short-term profit margins, brokerages are hoping their new customers will turn to them for more lucrative services like financial advice.
  • Last week, Morgan Stanley CFO Jonathan Pruzan said daily trading activity on the E*Trade self-directed online trading platform is "off the charts."
Makes you wonder if they'll some day flip the switch back to commissions. I remember doing $7 trades on Scott Trade about 10 years ago.

TD charges $.65 for contracts, and sells other subscriptions like Market Edge Daily or Market Edge Daily+ for $10/20 a month. Includes, news, computer generated opinions, stock alerts/screeners and probably access to analyst reports.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Makes you wonder if they'll some day flip the switch back to commissions. I remember doing $7 trades on Scott Trade about 10 years ago.

TD charges $.65 for contracts, and sells other subscriptions like Market Edge Daily or Market Edge Daily+ for $10/20 a month. Includes, news, computer generated opinions, stock alerts/screeners and probably access to analyst reports.

I think they'll keep it commission free for stocks over a specified dollar amount and charge fees on stocks below e.g $5.00 (penny stocks) as those are the type of stocks most retail investors go after.

ManofOne

Plus Member
So here is another tip. Keep watching the treasury market for spikes or movements upwards above the normal volume. Various indicators exist. One of them is MOVE, which like the VIX and the options market, measures the expected volatility in the treasury market.

On Thursday, the (buy/ sell) spreads for Treasuries were wide and the auctioning for the 7 year was a mess, that spooked investors. If this market goes, EVERYTHING goes.

icu3An3.jpg

BigBooper

Anyone use Fidelity? Like their app?

I've been using Merrill Edge, but don't love it. I've never really had a big problem with it, but sometimes the history charts don't load and other mild annoyances.

I tried to make an account with Fidelity a couple weeks back, but apparently a previous employer created an account for me and I have to have an access code to access it. When I found that out, I didn't want to do deal with it at the time because they had long phone queues.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Anyone use Fidelity? Like their app?

I've been using Merrill Edge, but don't love it. I've never really had a big problem with it, but sometimes the history charts don't load and other mild annoyances.

I tried to make an account with Fidelity a couple weeks back, but apparently a previous employer created an account for me and I have to have an access code to access it. When I found that out, I didn't want to do deal with it at the time because they had long phone queues.

I don't use Fidelity, I switched over from Interactive to Charles Schwab and I still have an account with Questrade.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Booyah! MIK offered bought out $22. Was hoping for more. Got in around $16.

Purchase Price of $22.00 per Share in Cash

Transaction Valued at $5.0 billion

The Michaels Companies (NASDAQ: MIK) ("Michaels" or "the Company") and funds managed by affiliates of Apollo Global Management, Inc. (NYSE:APO) (together with its consolidated subsidiaries "Apollo") today announced that they have entered into a definitive merger agreement pursuant to which investment funds managed by affiliates of Apollo have agreed to acquire the Company in a transaction that values Michaels at an equity value of approximately $3.3 billion (for a transaction valued at $5.0 billion).

Under the terms of the agreement, which has been unanimously approved by the Michaels Board of Directors, Apollo will commence a tender offer to acquire all outstanding shares of Michaels for $22.00 per share in cash. The purchase price represents a 47% premium to the closing stock price on February 26, 2021 (the last trading day prior to press speculation about a potential transaction involving Michaels) of $15.00 per share and a 78% premium to the 90-day volume-weighted average price.

ManofOne

Plus Member

Micron lifts FQ2 revenue and profit forecasts​

• Micron (NASDAQ:MU) increases its fiscal Q2 guidance for revenue, gross margin, and EPS.
  • Revenue is now expected at $6.2-6.25B, up from $5.6-6B.
  • Adjusted gross margin improves from 30-32% to 32-33%.
  • EPS is now set at $0.93-0.98, up from $0.68-0.82.
  • Micron is expected to report earnings at the end of this month.
  • CFO David Zinsner will provide further details during today's fireside chat during the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media & Telecom Virtual Conference.
  • Yesterday, Evercore analyst C.J. Muse predicted a positive Micron pre-announcement, driven by the current NAND and DRAM market trends.

Top Bottom