• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

SpartanN92

Banned
Slowly but surely crawling out of a 2.2% drop this morning. I’m now only 1% down.
6 months ago I would have panic sold like a little girl.

Reactions: GHG

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Haven't shorts been attacking that for a while? Good buying opportunity before earnings.
Not entirely sure. I'm new to it.

Market keeps growing, your stocks keep dropping

Invest in total stock market index funds guys...that's only way to win this game

days like this is how you make money , learn to embrace them
That's boring! I need the stress in my life.

Somebody help.

10k on BTC. Got it!
TGvUtPdm.jpg

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
What a god damn waste.

I do want to say I appreciate everyone in this thread. As a newbie into the market, I still have less than 10k in, its been a wild ride. Its really hard to keep calm at times but its been a crash corse that has netted me with profits. Not a ton but an extra $1500 in my pocket is nothing to be mad about.

XLU close to a 52 week high and keeping me in the green today. I don't think I'll ever sell though, I like utilities and dividends. They aren't particularly sexy but I feel good about where that money is.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Ok but what about us people that understand nothing? WHAT DO WE DO!?
You’ve been posting on GAF for over a decade, you must have learned by now how the tech/gaming market moves. At the very least you should feel bullish about the space.

I stick to software because that’s what I do, and the data makes sense to me, but years of lurking sites like GAF definitely gave me an edge.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
You’ve been posting on GAF for over a decade, you must have learned by now how the tech/gaming market moves. At the very least you should feel bullish about the space.

I stick to software because that’s what I do, and the data makes sense to me, but years of lurking sites like GAF definitely gave me an edge.
Have i really been here for a decade? FML.

So when is GAF gonna give an IPO? Im in for 1000 shares.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Few years. I forgot that was public knowledge, the join date that is.

I lurked for awhile when I was a writer in the industry. Gaming, not financials. Obviously.
I wasn’t going by your join date, I just remember your avatar.
Regardless, all those years console warring taught me something. Or at least that’s what I tell myself.

Last edited:

Raven117

Invest in total stock market index funds guys...that's only way to win this game

In the end, its this. Almost always.

Its boring. Its slow. You wont get rich quick. But! Its boring, its slow, and you will get rich in the long run.

I'd have nothing to show for anything if it wasn't for my VTI and SPY.

At least my retirement accounts are doing well.

kinda bad api #s and covid hitting record levels world wide. I am betting on it getting a bit worse before better, but that depends on opec+ production. they can easily prop the price.

Hitting record levels where? World-wide or in the US? US daily case numbers are right where they where during the summer surge in July. Deaths are below that same threshold. Proof to me that the vaccine is taking hold.

This seems like media pearl-clutching.

ManofOne

Plus Member
The market doesn't seem to care anymore about the virus IMO.

What matters now is economic debt in developed and emerging markets and inflation.

From what i'm seeing, the global economy has become more fragile and the U.S just placed a bandage on a leaky dam.

BigBooper

The market doesn't seem to care anymore about the virus IMO.

What matters now is economic debt in developed and emerging markets and inflation.

From what i'm seeing, the global economy has become more fragile and the U.S just placed a bandage on a leaky dam.
You ever considered how all these alternative currencies we have now might dampen the effects of a global turndown? Bitcoin is nowhere near the dollar as a currency yet obviously, but I wonder if it will lessen the impact, or possibly even increase the impact from panic currency trading. Might be too unpredictable.

ManofOne

Plus Member
You ever considered how all these alternative currencies we have now might dampen the effects of a global turndown? Bitcoin is nowhere near the dollar as a currency yet obviously, but I wonder if it will lessen the impact, or possibly even increase the impact from panic currency trading. Might be too unpredictable.

I think the growth in alternative currencies is a symptom of what is transpiring in the global economies. Typically, pre bitcoin people poured money into assets like gold to preserve value.
either two things are happening

1) The explosion in global M2 which caused asset prices to explode which include bitcoin. You saw asset correlations strengthen (there is not enough data on bitcoin to officially declare it a store of value).

or

2) People are perceiving bitcoin to have a store of value and its replacing gold, thus as markets are expecting economic fragility they're pouring their money into bitcoin to preserve wealth.

I'm not sure either way but both scenarios suggest that people are betting against hard currencies and market futures.

I would normally agree with you but there's too much money involved even from the hedge and investment funds.

I can't help wonder if the age of hard currencies are coming to an end with this explosion in M2.

Yeah that's fair, retail money wouldn't push Doge the way it's going. I joined some stock group on FB just for shits and giggles and 95% of the questions are about crypto and how to buy shit called Safemoon and other bullshit.

I'm staying far away from it. One guy said he was up $10000 and decided to cash out, but between the slippage and the conversion fee, he walked away with $250, lol

BigBooper

2) People are perceiving bitcoin to have a store of value and its replacing gold, thus as markets are expecting economic fragility they're pouring their money into bitcoin to preserve wealth.
That would be interesting. Scary for all the seniors who have stored gold for retirement. We might see fewer 'buy gold' ads though.

I just had a flash of inspiration. China, with their communist world domination dreams, should start their own crypto and connect it with their social credit score. I know they are developing a cryptocurrency, but they should tack on a scheme where if you buy in you get a bonus to your social credit score, which they will be rolling out worldwide. I'm sure there would be interest in the US.

I just scared myself.

ManofOne

Plus Member
That would be interesting. Scary for all the seniors who have stored gold for retirement. We might see fewer 'buy gold' ads though.

I just had a flash of inspiration. China, with their communist world domination dreams, should start their own crypto and connect it with their social credit score. I know they are developing a cryptocurrency, but they should tack on a scheme where if you buy in you get a bonus to your social credit score, which they will be rolling out worldwide. I'm sure there would be interest in the US.

I just scared myself.

I don't believe it to fully happen but we've seen a massive shift in market dynamic and power. Retail investors are the second largest group, they're also the most misinformed group.

Top Bottom