• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Have you considered shorting yourself?
8CPM0cI.gif

joe_zazen

Hitting record levels where? World-wide or in the US? US daily case numbers are right where they where during the summer surge in July. Deaths are below that same threshold. Proof to me that the vaccine is taking hold.

This seems like media pearl-clutching.

dont shoot the messenger, lol.

places like india are messed up.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Yah, India is on second lockdown and its worst than the 1st wave apparently. Brazil is still on lockdown and the Brazilian variant is making its way through LATAM and the Caribbean.

Jamaica, Trinidad, Guyana, Suriname etc all announced new lockdown measures

Argentina closed it border with brazil so did the surrounding countries.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Just an update abxx abxxf as I will be buying more before the 29th:

the first tokenized, web 3.0 securities exchange will be launching in 1-3 months in singapore, having recieved their regulatory approval and secured the necessary $ for deposit with the Monetary Authority of Singapore from a bought deal. Think NFTs, but instead of video clips and clipart, actual legal securities.

ABXX has been working on this for 3 years, and it looks to be an exciting few months for the management team.

joe_zazen

I'm still to scared to trade penny stocks.

Maybe I should lol.

you mean OTC stocks under $5? They are dangerous if you have a gambler's heart and you cannot control it. I have one, and I can just barely control it, so while I buy some like the one in the above post, I have to work not dump too much in.

nothing like seeing a stock double...or go down 9/10ths.

Reactions: GHG

ManofOne

Plus Member
Dude. Holy shit.
Print screen that transaction when you sell.

Didn't fall as much as it was in pre market recovered alot so my profit is larger. I actually thinking to sell half and keep the rest.

Won't leave this up for long will delete in 1 hr.

Last edited:
I've been seriously considering getting into the stock market, basically my day job isn't enough to support me and I need to increase my yearly income. I don't think I have the stomach to invest in individual companies because I'd be glued to my computer looking at updates every chance I could but I was thinking about getting into index funds.

I looked up the history of the annual return for the SP 500 and its averaging over 10% and it got me thinking, if I put 100k in that I increase my yearly income by 10k. Is this a naïve way of thinking about this? I know some years are worse than others, but it seems to be very very rare that it actually goes down so it looks like a safe investment.
I also looked up the graph showing the value of multiple index funds over time and they have been increasing at an insane rate the past couple years (excluding the covid dip), way more than they used to as far as I can tell. SP500 went from under $3000 to over $4000 in less than 2 years, that seems like an insane increase in such a short time. This has me worried that a drop is inevitable.

Are these as safe as they look like on paper and should I be worried about this recent increase? If I get in now it seems like I'm buying high. I'm trying to do as much research as I can but advice from people that actually do this daily is appreciated.

Vanguard is the best place IMO to invest in index funds. Their ETFs are great and low cost (i.e. they skim relatively little off the top in exchange for managing the funds) and once you get some money their Admiral mutual funds are great.

dem

I feel like AAPL is about to sell a zillion airtags at christmas. No one knows what to buy anyone anymore. This is such an easy gift.

And the move to not put a fricking hole on it for a cheap keychain string is hilariously genius. Only Apple can get away with it.

I feel sorry for you mooks selling Apple because it didn't go up every single fucking week. Disgraziato!

Last edited:
All my money going to my retirement and kids.

I'm just happy to be earning enough for a good retirement.

With that said. Yes it does.
ah okay, every time i mentioned my percentages here it's my play account (with real cash, not paper), i don't invest in individual commodities in my retirement account, but i make sure to max them out every year (401k, ira, and HSA)

Last edited:

Raven117

ah okay, every time i mentioned my percentages here it's my play account (with real cash, not paper), i don't invest in individual commodities in my retirement account, but i make sure to max them out every year (401k, ira, and HSA)
Same. My real money goes to traditional long term investment strategies (ETFs, Index Funds, stuff like that). I have a small cash account i use to play around with. Keeps me interested in the goings on of the market.

Same. My real money goes to traditional long term investment strategies (ETFs, Index Funds, stuff like that). I have a small cash account i use to play around with. Keeps me interested in the goings on of the market.

Yep, I think we're all in the same boat with that. It's good, safe fun.

dem

Wife and I both have defined benefit pensions.

Most of my manual savings for retirement is in AMZN :messenger_grinning_smiling:
I should probably just convert all that into a big stupid etf.. but I've done well so far.

Jarred Kjack GIF by The Dungeon Run

Last edited:
Well you can sell but IRS expanded their forms to verify if your cash is floating or you cashed out. Its a hassle now and they're going straight to you're broker.
WTF, can you share a link or documentation on this? Why the fuck do they care if the cash is in my brokerage account of if I can just cover it from a savings account elsewhere?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Why do these random drops keep happening out of nowhere? LIke my entire portfolio, from all different sectors just collectively took a dump at the same times.

Who's ass do I have to eat to get it to stop?

Top Bottom