• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

HoodWinked

algo sell fuck you. prolly another hedgie getting margin called.

vNw2zwU.png

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
WTF, can you share a link or documentation on this? Why the fuck do they care if the cash is in my brokerage account of if I can just cover it from a savings account elsewhere?

Its IRS form 3520. Since I'm working abroad.

I was informed of the rule changes by our company which handles all our taxes as well.

They've always had 1099 though.

Last edited:
Why do these random drops keep happening out of nowhere? LIke my entire portfolio, from all different sectors just collectively took a dump at the same times.

Who's ass do I have to eat to get it to stop?
Well, the DOW, Nasdaq, even Canadian TSX are all down today. So, it's a pretty big bucket of down today.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Well, the DOW, Nasdaq, even Canadian TSX are all down today. So, it's a pretty big bucket of down today.
Well tell it to stop!

I just always am taken back when everything is typical volatility then the entirety of my portfolio drops in unison in a matter of minutes, sometimes seconds.

Im calling a conspiracy. Its the damn government!

I did just read Biden announced some new Captial gains tax proposal which spooked people.

I think it's a similar situation in Canada with unregistered account trading, forms and reporting, but I've only ever held my registered accounts.

So do we really believe the Democrats are going to let Biden hurt their wallets? This seems like it's all for show and the market overreacting as usual. Maybe Pelosi wanted to get some cheaper shares from her most recent inside tip?

ManofOne

Plus Member
"Bloomberg News reported Thursday afternoon that Biden is planning a capital gains tax hike to as high as 43.4% for wealthy Americans. The proposal would hike the capital gains rate to 39.6% for those earning $1 million or more, up from 20% currently, according to Bloomberg News, citing people familiar with the matter. Reuters and the New York Times later matched the headlines."

This affects me.

Btw for those who don't believe it affects them. Capital Gains taxes applied to all physical and digital assets that aren't meant for primary purposes.

Last edited:
No the question is what are you heavily invested in?

All the major indexes are down about 1% today.

I bought 100 shares of T like a week or so ago and it and my ford shares are the only thing that is actually up today. A lot of my money is in XLU, SPHD, and SPDV, all of which are down, but not by much. The dividends mean I don't care that much if it goes down, cause I intend to hold onto this stuff for a long time.

Reactions: GHG

GHG

I bought 100 shares of T like a week or so ago and it and my ford shares are the only thing that is actually up today. A lot of my money is in XLU, SPHD, and SPDV, all of which are down, but not by much. The dividends mean I don't care that much if it goes down, cause I intend to hold onto this stuff for a long time.

Yeh I've had T for a while (for the dividends) and it's had an uncharacteristically good day because of the better than expected earnings. Don't have as many shares in it as you though, didn't buy with as much conviction.

If the market keeps this up for a while (going sideways overall) then piling some money in to dividend stocks/funds might be the way to go while riding it out.

Yeh I've had T for a while (for the dividends) and it's had an uncharacteristically good day because of the better than expected earnings. Don't have as many shares in it as you though, didn't buy with as much conviction.

If the market keeps this up for a while (going sideways overall) then piling some money in to dividend stocks/funds might be the way to go while riding it out.

It wasn't conviction so much as I needed a place to park some money. I invested really heavily in SPHD awhile back and decided to sell some way out of the money call options, they expired in the money a month ago and so they were sold. I was worried that I was invested too heavily in SPHD so I put the money in XLU, and some in T. I do like AT&T as a company, they have great service in my area, so it's hard for me to imagine that putting money there is a bad decision.

Reactions: GHG
ManofOne ManofOne

Thanks for the tip on Ally. I never even thought about investing in it. Bought today around its low in my Roth and got a 6-month sell on it after it gains a little over 15%. It shouldn't take that long with how consistent its growth has been.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Snap EPS beats by $0.05, beats on revenue

Snap (NYSE:SNAP): Q1 Non-GAAP EPS of $0.00 beats by $0.05; GAAP EPS of -$0.19 beats by $0.01.
Revenue of $769.5M (+66.4% Y/Y) beats by $28.03M.
Global DAUs of 280M vs. 274.5M consensus. ARPU of $2.74 vs. $2.71 consensus.
Q2 Guidance: Revenue is estimated to be between $820 million and $840 million vs. $826.99M consensus. Adjusted EBITDA is estimated to be between $(20) million and breakeven, compared to $(96) million in Q2 2020.
Shares +2.1%.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Skechers soars to new high after pandemic trends stoke sales

Skechers (NYSE:SKX) soars after setting a sales record for Q1.
"This significant growth is the result of continued demand for Skechers product as consumers desire comfort and quality in their footwear and walking remains a top COVID-19 pandemic activity. With warmer weather and increased vaccination rates around the world, traffic is improving in many of our retail stores, and our digital business continues to be a very strong growth driver," explains CEO Robert Greenberg on the big quarter.
Looking ahead, the retailer says it expects Q2 revenue of $1.45B to $1.50B vs. $1.22B consensus and Q2 EPS of $0.40 to $0.50 vs. $0.30 consensus.
Looking at the full year, Skechers sees revenue of $5.8B to $5.9B vs. $5.6B consensus.
Shares of Skechers are up 7.75% AH to $47.96 (new high).
10 out of 12 research firms covering Skechers have a Buy-equivalent rating on the stock.

I'm in the process of finally getting my pension plan moved to my broker, and it was cashed out at it's all time high. I'll have those funds very soon.

A 10% correction would fit in my plans nicely. But either way, I'm looking forward to putting this money into play.

mid83

I currently have my 401k invested in the standard 3 fund portfolio using index funds (US stock fund, international stock fund, and a small amount in a US bond fund).

I also just opened a new IRA with around $20k to play with. Given over 90% of my total portfolio is being invested in index funds, I'd like to invest my IRA money in more high risk/high reward. I've thought about investing in some of the ARK funds like ARKF/ARKG, given they both give exposure to areas I'm quite interested and excited about (fintech and genomics/biotech), but I also have some concern with how large Ark's assets under management is. I don't mind shorter term volatility as I'm looking for long term investments, but I understand there are some big risks and concerns with Ark.

Are there any recommendations on other ETFs compatible to Ark I should look into as well?

ManofOne

Plus Member
I currently have my 401k invested in the standard 3 fund portfolio using index funds (US stock fund, international stock fund, and a small amount in a US bond fund).

I also just opened a new IRA with around $20k to play with. Given over 90% of my total portfolio is being invested in index funds, I'd like to invest my IRA money in more high risk/high reward. I've thought about investing in some of the ARK funds like ARKF/ARKG, given they both give exposure to areas I'm quite interested and excited about (fintech and genomics/biotech), but I also have some concern with how large Ark's assets under management is. I don't mind shorter term volatility as I'm looking for long term investments, but I understand there are some big risks and concerns with Ark.

Are there any recommendations on other ETFs compatible to Ark I should look into as well?

What range is your age. Are you 18-25, 26-35, 36-45, over 45

ManofOne

Plus Member
What's the deal/story/explanation of there being two listings for zillow?

you mean third

Zillow co-founder Spencer Rascoff lists third SPAC after second one cuts $3B Offerpad deal

Zillow and Hotwire co-founder Spencer Rascoff is set to roll out his third special purpose acquisition company Tuesday just days after his second one cut a deal to take Offerpad public at a $3B valuation.
Supernova Partners Acquisition Co. III (NYSE:STRE.U) is scheduled to begin trading on the New York Stock Exchange following a $250M initial public offering.
The new SPAC’s listing comes less than a week after Supernova Partners Acquisition Co. I (NYSE:SPNV) agreed to acquire Offerpad, a real estate solutions platform.
Rascoff also previously co-founded Zillow (NASDAQ:Z) and served as its CEO for nearly a decade. Prior to that, he co-founded travel site Hotwire, which Expedia (NASDAQ:EXPE) acquired in 2003 for $685M.
Additionally, Rascoff serves on the board of Palantir, and formerly had board seats on companies like TripAdvisor and Zulily.
The tech entrepreneur also recently staged an upsized $300M+ IPO for Supernova Partners Acquisition Co. II (ZNII.U), although that SPAC has yet to make an M&A deal.
As for Rascoff's newest special purpose acquisition company, executives wrote in STRE.U's S-1 filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission that “we intend to partner with a technology company focusing on Internet, consumer, media and similar businesses.”
The SPAC sold 25M investment units at $10 apiece, with each consisting of one Class A share and 0.2 warrants to buy a second share in the future at $11.50.
STRE.U also gave underwriters the option to purchase 3.75M extra units to cover any overallotments, possibly raising another $37.5M.
Additionally, the SPAC’s sponsor agreed to invest $7M to buy 3.5M warrants at an unusually high $2 apiece. That will rise to $7.75M for 3.875M warrants if underwriters exercise all overallotment options.
Plans call for the new SPAC to trade under the ticker “STRE.U.” Its shares and warrants will also eventually list separately as “STRE” and “STRE.WS,” respectively.

Top Bottom