• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

n0razi

I am now cash poor for a while. Hope it works out. Sold the last one of my rental properties, glad as fuck to be out of that time sinking shit all together. Don't become a landlord if you value your time, kids.

This lol

So many people talk about how easy it is to house hack or rent out unit for side income.... it is a pain in the MF neck and I would rather work more hours at my day job.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is really fucking stupid. Everything down including oil.
Welp.. the party is over.
Even though I'm like 70% cash, the rest of my stuff keeps trending down too. Most of them are "hanger on-ers" which are down 40-60% already. Yet they keep creeping down 1-2% every week.

Thankfully, I'm only about 10% off my all time high which was somewhere around Oct or Nov.

On one hand I want to dive back in on the rebound days, but then I see a day like this and say fuck it. Status quo.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

PLTR got wrecked.
I was rooting for that. That company has no differentiating technological assets just a good network that gives them access to government contracts.

All they are is an overhyped data connector. I cannot believe it ever pumped to its heights.

Poor ROKU and AMPL lol. FB is going back to pre covid prices lol. ISPO was a fucking BEAST!!!!

I believe Snowflake will be next to implode like Amplitude. I use Snowflake, but a data warehouse is nothing more than a feature inside a major cloud provider, not a full blown public company. BigQuery, GCP's data warehouse solution, is on par with Snowflake, and I can negotiate a deal to buy the service cheaper than Snowflake by going into a cloud partnership. Where Snowflake excels is that it is multi cloud, but competition is coming from GCP and AWS to create data warehouse standards.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Fools idol

Banned
I've had suspicions about Palantir for a while. It seems very strange to me why people think their product offering has use outside of government intelligence. Foundry is basically data analysis and AI offerings are nothing new - a ton of competition out there.

It also seems odd to me that people think it's another tesla - software gets eaten by other software constantly. There is not any competitive advantage that I can see.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Dump a stock I had a tiny gainer on (like $400!). I'm literally at about 80% cash now. Rest of my 20% are mostly turds I might as well ride it out.

Paypal and Intel on my radar as they've been beaten down. And Intel released unimpressive outlook yesterday so the stock is down another $2 to $45. Assuming Intel is correct, it wont be for maybe 3 years till they are rocking 10% growth.

Intel at a 3% yield can be a solid value play if it keeps dropping and can be scooped up in the $30s. We'll see.

Ellery

Will trading change now? : Fed Officials are banned from trading stocks and crypto (Don't know if I'm allowed to post this)

Why wouldn't you be allowed? I think that is 1-2 month old news.

All of the FED people, CEOs of big companies, politicians sold the top conveniently after it was announced inflation isn't transitory and QE is tighetning.

We are in a different market phase now. The days where the FED poured trillions into the market are over now and the average joe is paying for it by inflation. The markets walked in tandem with the FED money printer.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If you want to roll the dice, Blackberry is at $8.50 cdn. This stock has trended at $10-15 for a while and is now at its lowest since covid meltdown where it bottomed at about $6 cdn in 2020.

Might be worth trying to flip if it gets back down to $6 cdn (about $4.50-5 US).

I flipped it 4 times making money 3 times and breaking even once. Might dip in a 5th time if it keeps dropping.

Last edited:

GHG

Well I am officially a bag holder of intel 😅

But of course I bought some more today.

Did tell ya.

44 is a good buy point though. I'm selling puts here, 44.5 seems to be the floor for now. 43.5 is the next level to look for if it decides it wants to continue moving down over the next few weeks.

Last edited:
Did tell ya.

44 is a good buy point though. I'm selling puts here, 44.5 seems to be the floor for now. 43.5 is the next level to look for if it decides it wants to continue moving down over the next few weeks.
No worries, it just gives me a discount.

Darn world conflicts and the fed :(

GHG

No worries, it just gives me a discount.

Darn world conflicts and the fed :(

The market will always use anything as an excuse to make moves down when the economic conditions are what they are at the moment. Other levels to look for going forwards on Intel are:

Last line of major support is 42.2. If it breaks that then the most likely scenario is a gap fill from 2017 down to around 40 which will be a psychological level rather than a technical support level. If you want to load up in the future then those are the prices to look at (provided your outlook on the company doesn't change for any reason).

Last edited:
I hate to speculate for tragic world events but I've a little side fund that's going to get some exercise with this Russia bullshit, parts of the markets crashing/set to crash. So for unfortunate reasons a good time to buy in low. Just have to pick the optimal timing.

Any recommendations? Looks like EU has dropped 2%-ish already. ASX set to follow.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
My remaining 20% (80% cash) will take a beating like everyone elses. I don't have oil or gold stocks and I dont short/put to hold the fort.

But putting on my greedy glasses, this might be another opportunity where if you wait it out and hopefully time it right (like anyone buying tons of dirt cheap stocks at the covid bottom in March 2020 where I rode it down maxed out and had to wait for a rebound), you can a make a shit load of money again.

My remaining portfolio stocks are so down I might as well just ride them out.

But whether it's soon or longer out, this Russia/Ukraine war will lead to a rock bottom level, settle and then rebound when its over.

Just got to time it right.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
my short positions from the past few days are up giant pre market. Went net short nasdaq futures on tuesday.. big gains thus far. I pray this doesnt escalate to a human loss in Ukraine. Fuck Putin.

I’m going to nibble today, but hold off on going all in. My parents think China will use this as cover to invade Taiwan and maybe Iran to attack Israel.

dem

Well this is fun...

ralphie oh fudge GIF

HoodWinked

cloudflare up 18%

Really crazy the day before yesterday meetkevin was saying how the best time to buy is right after an invasion. And showed the stock market for multiple conflicts all went up except one.

godhandiscen

cloudflare up 18%

Really crazy the day before yesterday meetkevin was saying how the best time to buy is right after an invasion. And showed the stock market for multiple conflicts all went up except one.
Cloudflare just bought an email security company to provide Google quality filtering when rolling your own private email host. This is a big gain for companies that host their own corporate email service and cannot use office suites like MS/Google. Every other month it is just really epic news for the future of the company. However, I am not sure if my calls will print in time. I have a few positions closing in January 23 that did not account for Putin going full retard or the inflation shrinking dicks.

zeorhymer

cloudflare up 18%

NET is still a real bargain from what I can tell...I might move assets back into there.

Top Bottom