• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

gkryhewy

mrWalrus said:
Here's the last bit of knowledge I wish to impart on the group.. or should I say the last bit of knowledge I'd like to have Jim Rogers impart on the group.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/27097823

After this I'd suggest hitting up youtube and doing more research on both Jim Rogers and Peter Schiff. They're both very smart guys and have taught me more than I could ever repay.

Wait wait wait. Earlier you said the markets were about to stabilize, and now you're citing the ever-apocalyptic Peter Schiff? Inflation holocaust? Which is it, Walrus? :D

hermeez said:
I am not giving advice, but I would say tread lightly here... Their credit default swap is trading for points up front and has gone up tremendously in recent days. This type of activity also occurred with Bear Stearns, WaMu, and Wachovia.

Yeah, I didn't touch it. Haven't touched anything. MS is down to $7.50 now.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You can't predict anything, don't even try. NO ONE can predict how the markets will be. No even slightly.

lil smoke

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
You can't predict anything, don't even try. NO ONE can predict how the markets will be. No even slightly.
Yeah, there are lots of differing opinions, and everyone thinks their right. Where were these people before this shit went down? No one was so smart then...

so_awes said:
who's buying GM?? i kinda want to....
The automotive industry is reeling. I'm not in and wouldn't touch it with anyone's "pole". That's my opinion though so take it for what you will.

edit: I'm thinking about getting into another "G" stock, but that would be GE. They pay a nice dividend (6% I believe) at least up to 2009.

Clarification edit on my opinion on the automotive industry: I'm talking about at this time. It's going to take time for the unfreezing of the credit system along with the buying power of the consumer to come back. The time isn't now to get into this industry due to those facts.

mrWalrus

Banned
What I said was markets are going to stagnate.. What we are seeing is the result of massive deleveraging. So to that the market is going to stabilize. Where inflation goes from here I don't know. I've been trying to figure it out. Either we'll see a Paul Volker like deflation where rates go sky high or we'll see hyperinflation. Let's pray it's the former rather than the latter.

Jim Rogers and Peter Schiff offer Very valuable contrarian advice. So while I'm not saying the world is ending, and Peter never really says that either, but what he does say makes a lot of sense. To think that there are no repercussions for the drunken financial orgy that's gone on in this country, and some parts of Europe, for the last several years would be naive. I've done a substantial amount of research to formulate my own opinions and I try to keep everything on an even level but to do that you have to listen to both sides.

So take this advice for what you paid for it because like Socrates said.. "I know that I know nothing".

gkryhewy

mrWalrus said:
What I said was markets are going to stagnate.. What we are seeing is the result of massive deleveraging. So to that the market is going to stabilize. Where inflation goes from here I don't know. I've been trying to figure it out. Either we'll see a Paul Volker like deflation where rates go sky high or we'll see hyperinflation. Let's pray it's the former rather than the latter.

Jim Rogers and Peter Schiff offer Very valuable contrarian advice. So while I'm not saying the world is ending, and Peter never really says that either, but what he does say makes a lot of sense. To think that there are no repercussions for the drunken financial orgy that's gone on in this country, and some parts of Europe, for the last several years would be naive. I've done a substantial amount of research to formulate my own opinions and I try to keep everything on an even level but to do that you have to listen to both sides.

So take this advice for what you paid for it because like Socrates said.. "I know that I know nothing".

My problem with Peter Schiff et al (who "called all this", giving him equal credibility to many random bubble bloggers and JayDubya) is that his preferred policy courses moving forward would lead to cataclysm, martial law, and maybe a third world war. It's not enough to say "I told you so," and let the market take its course - a constructive transitionary policy course must be charted.

"I know that I know nothing" - me too :lol

mrWalrus

Banned
gkrykewy said:
My problem with Peter Schiff et al (who "called all this", giving him equal credibility to many random bubble bloggers and JayDubya) is that his preferred policy courses moving forward would lead to cataclysm, martial law, and maybe a third world war. It's not enough to say "I told you so," and let the market take its course - a constructive transitionary policy course must be charted.

"I know that I know nothing" - me too :lol

Sure, okay but the only difference there is that both Jim Rogers (Beeland Interests) and Peter Schiff (Euro Pacific Capital) own and operate Very successful trading firms. Just because our way of life has gone on the way it has doesn't mean it's working or that it should continue. I know if I were Asia I'd be getting very close to kicking the Western world to the curb. Our greatest asset to them is our voracious appetite for consumer goods and if their exporting power went away (ie the dollar collapses) then they would certainly feel a pinch but... well that's enough. I could go on but I have some currencies to keep an eye on.

All the best to everyone.

Edit (before posting):
One last name to do research on/listen to is Gary Kaltbaum (www.garyk.com). His radio show goes online each night. Smart guy.. worth the time if playing the market is something that interests you.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Wow, Berk-B traded at 3000 at opening only to bounce right away to 4000 (and then back down). Some people must have made a nice killing on this:D

gkryhewy

I just want to say that this is fucking crazy. While many people called a bottom at around 8,000, I don't think anyone expected it to be hit so quickly. The magnitude and speed of this decline is just staggering.

Tarazet

gkrykewy said:
I just want to say that this is fucking crazy. While many people called a bottom at around 8,000, I don't think anyone expected it to be hit so quickly. The magnitude and speed of this decline is just staggering.

Agreed, it's hard to believe I'm even seeing this. I certainly prefer it to the agonizingly slow decline of the past 12 months though.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
got2bekidding said:
The automotive industry is reeling. I'm not in and wouldn't touch it with anyone's "pole". That's my opinion though so take it for what you will.

edit: I'm thinking about getting into another "G" stock, but that would be GE. They pay a nice dividend (6% I believe) at least up to 2009.

Clarification edit on my opinion on the automotive industry: I'm talking about at this time. It's going to take time for the unfreezing of the credit system along with the buying power of the consumer to come back. The time isn't now to get into this industry due to those facts.

GM was talking Bankruptcy early this morning.

To be clear, what they actually said was "But bankruptcy protection is not an option GM is considering. Bankruptcy would not be in the interests of our employees, stockholders, suppliers or customers."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081010.wgmbankrupt1010/BNStory/Business/

gkrykewy said:
8000 as a bottom? There's plenty of resistance here. Look how it's hovering around 8100, bouncing up and down in one place. When it breaks through, it's going to tank, just as it did near 9000 yesterday.

Whether it does it today or tomorrow is academic.

Loki

Count of Concision
gkrykewy said:

All I know is that EVERY SINGLE THING that GAF posters insisted would never happen has happened, and many things which they're now saying will never happen will likely happen too. People said AIG would never collapse, yet they did. They said WaMu wouldn't, but they did. Won't fall below 9K, but we did. Now people are saying it won't fall below 7K. Watch it happen by early next week.

This is not to call out the particular posters who made these statements, just a reminder that no one can be confident in what they thought they knew anymore.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
gkrykewy said:

Why are we thinking this is the bottom?

lil smoke

Banned
Battersea Power Station said:
8000 as a bottom? There's plenty of resistance here. Look how it's hovering around 8100, bouncing up and down in one place. When it breaks through, it's going to tank, just as it did near 9000 yesterday.

When did you become a "junior member"?

Fatghost said:
GM was talking Bankruptcy early this morning.

To be clear, what they actually said was "But bankruptcy protection is not an option GM is considering. Bankruptcy would not be in the interests of our employees, stockholders, suppliers or customers."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081010.wgmbankrupt1010/BNStory/Business/
Yes, this was my point to the post I was replying to. Now is definitely not the time to even think about touching the automotive stocks. The credit lenders haven't even seen the "break" that's supposedly coming from the bill that was passed in order to unfreeze the credit markets. After that, you have to allow more time for the consumer to build back up their monetary assets aka purchasing power to really influence enough of an incline to make a difference in the stock price. Those at least are my feelings on the whole thing.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
gkrykewy said:

Actually the speed of the market collapse is faster than any correction before, even the great depression.

gkryhewy

I'm not saying it will be the bottom. I'm just saying it's what many people thought would be the 6-month bottom a week ago.

EDIT: Wow, AAPL up 4.5%

Tarazet

BCS has dropped so far there aren't even any out of the money puts left. It has hit every strike price now. I had a BCSVC, $15 put and sold it for $2.40 after buying it for $0.50. Who could have imagined? I mean they've withstood everything. They're even refusing their government's bailout.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

It's just a number.

lil smoke

Banned
gkrykewy said:
I'm not saying it will be the bottom. I'm just saying it's what many people thought would be the 6-month bottom a week ago.

EDIT: Wow, AAPL up 4.5%
AAPL is like a fighter bloody and battled. On one knee still throwing punches. I am impressed.

FiOSGuy

Collateral Damage Tag :P
Is there a *FREE* program and/or service that anyone uses for level 2 quotes -- real time and/or streaming?

I wish Erin Burnett would shut the fuck up about $3.40/gallon for gas is cheap and saying that this "drop" will accelerate spending by consumers. While she is partially right about about freeing up some money that could go toward other expenditures, that price per gallon was the beginning, if not the middle, of individuals making budget cuts do to the constraints of higher gas prices. Once, or even if, gas gets around the $3.00 mark, then I would agree completely with her statement.

eznark

Banned
got2bekidding said:
I wish Erin Burnett would shut the fuck up about $3.40/gallon for gas is cheap and saying that this "drop" will accelerate spending by consumers. While she is partially right about about freeing up some money that could go toward other expenditures, that price per gallon was the beginning, if not the middle, of individuals making budget cuts do to the constraints of higher gas prices. Once, or even if, gas gets around the $3.00 mark, then I would agree completely with her statement.

Gas in Boston is $3.15. I'm ok with that.

I need to bring in my new facepalm . . .

FacePalmGlowBrain.jpg

My brain is so overloaded that it is literally glowing. :lol

gkryhewy

eznark said:
Lift your head up, you're missing this spectacular late day rally!

Liar!

Anyone know total DOW volume today? I read on CNBC earlier that 2.5 - 3 billion trades could indicate true capitulation. We were halfway there by noon.

eznark

Banned
gkrykewy said:
Liar!

Anyone know total DOW volume today? I read on CNBC earlier that 2.5 - 3 billion trades could indicate true capitulation. We were halfway there by noon.

Hey, at this point I'll take 8150 (which is about where it was when I posted that)

ArtG

Well, even if I wanted to buy puts...I can't, thanks to Sharebuilder being down. Fuckers. (Still waiting for my Zecco account to be activated...)

Top Bottom