• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
BTW I just looked at RIMM and I didn't remember them having such good ratios.

Too bad I can't really get interested in buying since I think markets might continue to fall moreso. I also wonder if they are going to get any big competition soon?

Also, is it just me or has Google fucked up at everything they've tried to do over the past few years?

Ripclawe

Banned
What sites do you guys and gals use for stock information that spells out in easy details finances of a company? like debt ratio, P/E , analyst opinions?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yahoo Finance (Key Statistics) and Reuters (Stock section, ratios).

gkryhewy

Date of Lies said:
Does anyone have any idea how this week is going to be? I wonder if should sell my GE stock (bought monday at 22.35, is now 21.50).

If we could predict things reliably, we'd all be rich, wouldn't we? :lol

Asian stocks (excluding Japan, which is on holiday) are all up right now.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=ae7lenOt1g1E&refer=home

Australia's S&P/ASX 200 gained 3.7 percent, led by National Australia Bank. South Korea's Kospi added 1.1 percent. Hong Kong's Hang Seng Index advanced 0.6 percent.

The Asia index of 50 investment-grade borrowers outside Japan plunged 55 basis points to 295. Declines indicate perceptions of creditworthiness are improving.

kathode

Date of Lies said:
Does anyone have any idea how this week is going to be? I wonder if should sell my GE stock (bought monday at 22.35, is now 21.50).
Going to be interesting. European governments are joining the water-bailing we're doing, but this week will have some interesting economic data releases. Not the least of which are Citigroup, Wells Fargo, and JP Morgan earnings. I wouldn't put a lot of hope for them to paint a rosy picture.
Johnson and Johnson, Google, and Intel are also big ones coming up this week.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Date of Lies said:
GE is a good company and I have faith that in long run (which I'm assuming is your target time frame) it will appreciate. However, it's always a good idea to do some research on the company's fundamentals.

Date of Lies said:
Why did Ether Snake get banned? :(
Nooo, now who will I trust for stock tips

toxicgonzo said:
GE is a good company and I have faith that in long run (which I'm assuming is your target time frame) it will appreciate. However, it's always a good idea to do some research on the company's fundamentals.

I'm actually in it for the short run, but I don't want to risk a lot, which is why I got GE.

Check it out: http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081013/wall_street.html

could it be?

futures have fallen bit since the article was posted though...
http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/stocks/futures.html

PS: I pm'd about Ether Snake's ban. His post history doesn't reveal any foul play on his part at first inspection.

gkryhewy

Everything on my watch list is up significantly - unfortunately too high already for a quick profit.

Should have listened to my gut on MS - would have made a killing if I bought at 7.xx on Friday.

Deku Tree

Who has the best brokerage accounts service?

I'm looking for no maintenance fees, low fee's per trade, and overall good service. (Also, I'm looking for a company that is likely to be around long term.)

Thanks.

Tarazet

I'm just sitting back and watching. I'm in a good position to capitalize on the market gains. Only stock move I'm making right now is buying some more KLAC, my position averages around 24.58 right now.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
lil smoke said:
So far so good. 16% of my AAPL back, but I need more to break even.

See what happens. As we know, a big morning means nothing.

Fedex surprised me so that's the one stock I decided to buy in for my portfolio. Also, I purchased some Apple shares earlier but they don't appear on my portfolio. Damn you Schwab! Hopefully it's just a technical problem. Don't know what else to buy, I am looking to invest $1K in high risk stocks just in case, i'll see how the day goes.

lil smoke

Banned
Relix said:
Fedex surprised me so that's the one stock I decided to buy in for my portfolio. Also, I purchased some Apple shares earlier but they don't appear on my portfolio. Damn you Schwab! Hopefully it's just a technical problem. Don't know what else to buy, I am looking to invest $1K in high risk stocks just in case, i'll see how the day goes.
Make sure you didn't do a limit order. I accidentally did that once, and the stock never hit my price... so it never showed up. :D

I'm not sure what to buy right now. I'm waiting to verify my bank transaction (I guess today is a holiday?) for $2000 extra funds, which I'll probably split between 2-3 stocks. I'd be a lot more comfortable after seeing how folx react to this weeks reports... I probably should ready up $4000 in funds actually. Not sure.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
lil smoke said:
Make sure you didn't do a limit order. I accidentally did that once, and the stock never hit my price... so it never showed up. :D

I'm not sure what to buy right now. I'm waiting to verify my bank transaction (I guess today is a holiday?) for $2000 extra funds, which I'll probably split between 2-3 stocks. I'd be a lot more comfortable after seeing how folx react to this weeks reports... I probably should ready up $4000 in funds actually. Not sure.

Actually yes... I set a limit order UNDER a certain price and of course I didn't buy it. Cancelled the order, but since Apple seems on the rise I don't wanna buy now. I have $3K on my portfolio, ready to see what to do. I moved $500 today, but that's just to let interests run up on them for a few months. Today is a holiday though, Banks get delayed.

gkryhewy

Date of Lies said:

I just saw a headline on bloomberg - "only 2 DOW stocks declining on the day - JP Morgan and GE" :lol :lol Sorry dude

Zyzyxxz

gkrykewy said:
I just saw a headline on bloomberg - "only 2 DOW stocks declining on the day - JP Morgan and GE" :lol :lol Sorry dude

yeah I noticed everything was green today!

Except for my GE stock wtf

hermeez

gkrykewy said:
Everything on my watch list is up significantly - unfortunately too high already for a quick profit.

Should have listened to my gut on MS - would have made a killing if I bought at 7.xx on Friday.

Damn, I hope that my post about their credit default swap did not influence your decision on Friday... I was just making sure you and others had the information. I got burned by a trade like that earlier this year, where I had no idea that the cost to insure their debt was skyrocketing while their share price was too enticing to pass up, so I guess I am a little too cautious.

gkryhewy

hermeez said:
Damn, I hope that my post about their credit default swap did not influence your decision on Friday... I was just making sure you and others had the information. I got burned by a trade like that earlier this year, where I had no idea that the cost to insure their debt was skyrocketing while their share price was too enticing to pass up, so I guess I am a little too cautious.

You influenced my decision, but I probably wouldn't have bit anyway. Or if I did bite at 9.50, I probably would have panic-sold at 7.50. I've been made gunshy this year by outsmarting myself one too many times. If anything, I appreciate someone leading me to err on the side of caution.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
The Dow Jones...
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Deku Tree said:
Who has the best brokerage accounts service?

I'm looking for no maintenance fees, low fee's per trade, and overall good service. (Also, I'm looking for a company that is likely to be around long term.)

Thanks.

I prefer Scottrade TBQH. $7/trade for market orders. Although, some ppl here are saying Zecco works well too

ArtG

toxicgonzo said:
I prefer Scottrade TBQH. $7/trade for market orders. Although, some ppl here are saying Zecco works well too

I'm swapping over to Zecco. Free trades for all of October--and if you have a $2,500 balance in your account, you'll get free stock/options trades at all times.

Like the site so far, as well. (Haven't traded yet...waiting to fund the account.)

Tarazet

toxicgonzo said:

Zecco is good if you're willing to rely on another site, like Yahoo or Google, for your financial research. I imagine most here would be willing to save some money that way. They wouldn't be my first choice for a retirement account, though, because they have a $30 annual fee, whereas E*Trade charges a fee for brokerage accounts but not for IRAs.

ArtG

lil smoke said:
You have to pay for the RTQ in Yahoo/Google though right?

No. They have free real-time stock quotes now. (Yahoo anyways)

CNBC also has real-time stock quotes for free on their site.

CharlieDigital said:
They're doing well overseas and the next Focus will be a global release. The US will finally get the Eurospec focus just as the shift towards higher end small vehicles (compared to say a Kia) is in full swing.

I dunno...seems like they have a chance to rebound if all goes well.

mrWalrus said:
Okay. Good luck.

F ^ ~25%
GM ^ ~33%

I know, probably has more to do with the general market rebound, the $25 million dollar loan, and the merger talks...but still!

Anyone think we just saw the "bottom" on Friday? I still feel like there's more bad news to come that'll lower the markets more, but maybe I'm wrong.

Tarazet

Soka said:
Anyone think we just saw the "bottom" on Friday? I still feel like there's more bad news to come that'll lower the markets more, but maybe I'm wrong.

I think we might have. At this point, if earnings results show anything better than a complete societal meltdown, stocks are probably going to go up.

ArtG

Soka said:

I think we've seen the floor, but I'm not sure about any huge upside at current levels.

eznark

Banned
The march to 10 looks good. Maybe I shouldn't have pussed out and extended my prediction to 11/1.

I think there will be a significant, short lived dip on 11/3 if Obama wins (based on the Fortune 500 poll of CEO's mostly...reflection of market fears) but I think the market will sit around 10,000 for weeks, with highly volatile days interspersed.

greepoman

Soka said:

There will be no bottom until we see the credit/lending markets fully functional again. They seem to have gotten better over the weekend with the global effort and the LIBOR rate is coming down, but I wouldn't say we're completely out of the woods yet.

Tarazet

If there is a downturn tomorrow, a lot of folks are going to get caught with their pants down I think. At least judging by the prices out of the money puts are going for now.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
sonarrat said:
If there is a downturn tomorrow, a lot of folks are going to get caught with their pants down I think. At least judging by the prices out of the money puts are going for now.

I can just move around. Things seem positive, besides I didn't invest everything in one sweep.

sonarrat said:

Yea - but we're seeing something really unprecedented in a concerted government response to world economic markets now. Very hard to predict but tomorrow is going to be very interesting.

giga

MassiveAttack said:
Up 618, nearing 9100.
vegeta-9000.png

Awesome. I bet my dad that the Dow would crawl up all day today. I win a dollar!!

My full prediction is up Monday, Tuesday, down Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, nearing 8000 by the end of the week. Next week, we're going down even lower.

Top Bottom