• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Tarazet

It's a race against time for me. All of my options, except for my one solitary C call, expire Friday and they're all still waaaaaaaaaaay out of the money. It's not a question of losing money at this point, though, just making less. :D

lil smoke

Banned
kathode said:
Up over 800 :eek:
I bought an AAPL call this morning that's already bumping up against a 30% gain for me.
Yeah, I'm just close breaking even with AAPL, which is amazing for one day. SNE is doing well too, but I'm so far red it's just a blip.

Almost a +1000 day!

Tarazet

We learned last week that this much can be wiped out as fast as it's gained. It held for today, though. DOW +936, NASDAQ +194, S&P +104.

~Kinggi~

Banned
sonarrat said:
We learned last week that this much can be wiped out as fast as it's gained. It held for today, though.
well, that's obvious, but this giant jump shows some type of confidence boost. If that holds there really isnt much reason for another 700 point drop. Least i hope.

pollo

Banned
my friend is a trader and just sent me this message:

tim (4:06:23 PM): get ready to short the market.
tim went away at 4:11:13 PM.
tim (4:06:29 PM): all i'm sayin.
tim (4:06:33 PM): good luck

Tarazet

pollo said:
my friend is a trader and just sent me this message:

Haha, is this really just the mother of all dead cat bounces?

kathode

Yeah, we might have... uh... what's the opposite of a dead cat bounce? :lol

I'm hopeful that Apple's notebook event goes well tomorrow. Steve Jobs just needs to avoid looking like the walking dead this time.

lil smoke

Banned
Battersea Power Station said:
retards:

http://www.thestreet.com/story/1044...ooglefi&cm_ven=GOOGLEFI&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

"Stocks abandon volatility"

What BS. Last week we had 4 days of plunging and 1 day of a 700 point swing, or something like that. But stocks go up today, so it's all good: the volatility is over.
Reminds me of the 1st day after the 1st 700 loss. The next day, we were +500, and CNN and everyone were like "... see? The Economy IS strong withOUT a bailout. Look at our resolve... I told you so!" Seriously, "experts" need to STFU and stop influencing shit for a few days.

lil smoke

Banned
pollo said:
Tell us what he says when it doesn't end up happening.

FrankT

Well lets not forget the bond markets were not open today. If we can hold through with some gains tomorrow and through the week as the economic and earnings data hit we maybe closer to a bottom after all.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
It's ok, I'll wait a couple of days before I start investing... don't think we're completely out of the clear yet. Also, I need to fund my investment account !

ArtG

NetMapel said:
It's ok, I'll wait a couple of days before I start investing... don't think we're completely out of the clear yet. Also, I need to fund my investment account !

Still waiting to fund my account. Probably won't be able to confirm my bank account until tomorrow because of the bank holiday today. :(

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
ArtG said:
Still waiting to fund my account. Probably won't be able to confirm my bank account until tomorrow because of the bank holiday today. :(
Are you Canadian as well with Thanksgiving today ? :lol

mjfor40

Just bought my first stock ever today. 25 shares of Apple stock on Ameritrade.

Hopefully I made a good move...seems like it was at close to its lowest point in a year and should steadily increase

I am sort of peeved. I said mid last week I was going to invest more, but I did not invest as much as I could have because I was playing it safe. I could have made up a significant portion of my 401k that tanked.

ArtG

mjfor40 said:

Hopefully I made a good move...seems like it was at close to its lowest point in a year and should steadily increase

What price did you get in at?

mjfor40

tarius1210 said:
Do u plan on holding AAPL for a while? I really don't see this stock doing the well in the short run.
sure...no preference. short-run or long-run. most likely aiming for long-run as i see it steadily increasing over the next year or so...

lil smoke

Banned
mjfor40 said:

Ouch, where were you last week!!?? Did you get in 1st thing this morning?

lil smoke

Banned
mjfor40 said:
Yeah I know, but hey at least I got in today
You should be alright. I was in before it went down (~110) and I thought that was a good deal at the time. Anyone who got it in the 90s did very good though.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Everything that goes up goes down. Just enjoy the rally now and be on the lookout for the next fall. Set Stop Limit Orders so you don't lose anything, etc.

mjfor40

Relix said:
Everything that goes up goes down. Just enjoy the rally now and be on the lookout for the next fall. Set Stop Limit Orders so you don't lose anything, etc.
I'm still new at this, can you explain "set stop limit orders". Meaning set in my Ameritrade to auto-sell at $90 (for example) ?

I wish I bought it last week but I had to see it go up this morning to feel more comfortable.

lil smoke

Banned
mjfor40 said:
I'm still new at this, can you explain "set stop limit orders". Meaning set in my Ameritrade to auto-sell at $90 (for example) ?

I wish I bought it last week but I had to see it go up this morning to feel more comfortable.
Just in case the price drops while you're not looking, set it up to sell before it gets past a user-determined threshold...

I never do that but it would have saved me from certain disasters *ahem* CROX.

mjfor40

lil smoke said:
Just in case the price drops while you're not looking, set it up to sell before it gets past a user-determined threshold...

I never do that but it would have saved me from certain disasters *ahem* CROX.
what should i set for Apple?

ArtG

LuCkymoON said:
Can anyone explain Puts for me?

I know there are more experienced options veterans that can point out if I miss any nuance or am incorrect, but here it goes:

A put contract gives you the right (but not the obligation) to sell a stock at the strike price that you purchase the put contract at.

In other words, let's say you buy a $60 Amazon November put for $6. ($60 being the strike price). The contract would cost you $600 and give you the right to sell 100 shares of Amazon stock at $60. So, say the stock drops to $50. You can exercise that put contract, buy the 100 shares at the market price of $50, and then sell those shares for the $60 strike price -- a $400 gain. ($1000 in the stock price capital gain - $600 put contract premium that you bought.)

However, most of the time you'll want to just sell the put contract that you buy and sell it to someone else so you don't have to go through buying and selling the stock. (So, if you buy the Amazon November put at $6 and it goes up to $9, you'll have a $300 profit... 900 - 600).

Hope that helped.

syllogism

Justin Bailey said:
Ok I don't know jack about Iceland, why is their economy tanking so much?
Their three main banks collapsed with debts equivalent to ~12 times the size of the economy and they accounted for about 76% of the stockmarket's index value. They don't have a diversified economy and they have to import almost everything. Not a good position to be in when your currency is tanking.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=am95H4YHyr50&refer=home

gkryhewy

Wow! I'm interested in putting a little money into something, but I didn't do anything yesterday, and now everything is up enormously. Looks like we might hit 10,000 again.

I have to think some sort of pullback is in order, but meanwhile I'm kicking myself for the missed opportunities.

kathode

AAPL up over 4% in the premarket to around 115. I may be back "in the game" on the strength of a single call purchase yesterday :D I also own the stock too, which is now in the green for me, so should be a good day.

gkryhewy

NTDOY back up to $50. Should I sell now at a small loss and rebuy on a pullback, or hold in hopes that the rally stabilizes?

Bah!

lil smoke

Banned
This is like the 3rd time with TD Ameritrade's "service is unavailable" BS. Time is money! I can't even process my electronic transfer!!! I think I might dump this for Zecco after all. Seems like shit like this should... you know, work.

Top Bottom