• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

kathode

Tried to get in on a C put this morning but missed it. It immediately jumped 30% at open. Still considering it. They have earnings coming up and I can't imagine that they're going to be good, but of course they could be "bad but not as bad as expected."

dionysus

Yaldog
gkrykewy said:
Maybe in the medium term, which is why I'll wait right now, but over the long term (5+ years) I'm a peak-oil guy. Supplies will be constrained after the current recession.

Well, even though I am bearish on oil, I still bought calls at 7.50 for ACGY today.

dionysus

Yaldog
Hmm, I just realized I am the only person in the world to buy calls today on Acergy. How does volume affect call prices? Does it just lower the bid/ask spread? I realize the OTC is the counterparty to every trade, so does this matter? How is price discovery determined when volume is non-existant?

Tarazet

dionysus said:
Hmm, I just realized I am the only person in the world to buy calls today on Acergy. How does volume affect call prices? Does it just lower the bid/ask spread? I realize the OTC is the counterparty to every trade, so does this matter? How is price discovery determined when volume is non-existant?

If nobody else is buying, then it's a good bet that you won't be able to find a buyer in the future when it's time to sell.

dionysus

Yaldog
sonarrat said:
If nobody else is buying, then it's a good bet that you won't be able to find a buyer in the future when it's time to sell.

The OTC is the counterparty for every options trade, you can always find a buyer.

Edit. So I got a good answer from a securities professional on the effect of options volume. Thought I would share.

"OTC is counterparty, but there still has to be someone on the other side of the trade for them to provide an offer to your bid, that's how the b/a is created...if it were formula, then there would never be arbitrage in options, because everything would be fairly priced. Low volume means no one is looking at ACGY that far out...call volumes are very low now because people generally looking into those right now are being forced into liquidation. Call volumes are very low / bid-ask very high the farther you go out on the option, because fewer people are playing those contracts...if you look at the same near-term contract, it will have larger volume...Big stocks have smaller b/a, because there are more people in the market ready to trade, just like a normal stock, and the volumes bigger for the same reason. Obviously it will be small for a small company, because options are generally much more rarely used than outright stock, so the options market for small stocks will be that much smaller."

Tarazet

Looks like it's paring the losses. I'm going long, and I mean very long.. putting money into KLAC every time it turns down, and holding on for the long run. My goal is to accumulate 100 shares and then start writing options against it for income.

gkryhewy

sonarrat said:
Looks like it's paring the losses. I'm going long, and I mean very long.. putting money into KLAC every time it turns down, and holding on for the long run. My goal is to accumulate 100 shares and then start writing options against it for income.

Why KLAC in particular? I don't know much about that firm or sector.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Hey folks, jumpin in late. The missus and I discussed last night that it seems like with the market down this might be a good time to jump in... looking for low cost online options are E-Trade and TD Ameritrade our best options?

ArtG

DarienA said:
Hey folks, jumpin in late. The missus and I discussed last night that it seems like with the market down this might be a good time to jump in... looking for low cost online options are E-Trade and TD Ameritrade our best options?

The cheapest is Zecco. (Free for October, after that, you'll need $2,500 in your account and you'll get ten free trades a month....outside that, 4.50 per option trade and .50 per contract on top of that 4.50.

dionysus

Yaldog
ArtG said:
The cheapest is Zecco. (Free for October, after that, you'll need $2,500 in your account and you'll get ten free trades a month....outside that, 4.50 per option trade and .50 per contract on top of that 4.50.

How is the news aggregator, screen tool, information on zecco.

ArtG

dionysus said:

To me: So-so. I haven't been using Zecco for that long and have only used Sharebuilder outside of Zecco, so I'm sure more experienced people could give you a better answer.

Tarazet

gkrykewy said:
Why KLAC in particular? I don't know much about that firm or sector.

Because I work for them (indirectly). They're a bellwether, but their stock is relentlessly cyclical. It goes up and down and up and down.

kathode

So I did jump in on a few Citigroup puts after all earlier today. Up 25% so far. Considering whether to sell or hold for earnings. Still a pretty small amount of money.

gkryhewy

On the bright side, looks like the end of year dividend-reinvestment for my hideous train-wreck of a mutual fund will add shares at bargain prices! :lol

ArtG

gkrykewy said:
On the bright side, looks like the end of year dividend-reinvestment for my hideous train-wreck of a mutual fund will add shares at bargain prices! :lol

There's always the bright side! :lol

mackaveli

kathode said:
So I did jump in on a few Citigroup puts after all earlier today. Up 25% so far. Considering whether to sell or hold for earnings. Still a pretty small amount of money.

hey this might be a personal question and maybe you don't want to answer, but i was just curious how much money are you guys investing in Option trading? you guys seem to make like 20% or greater which is good. But are you guys investing like a 1,000? 2,000? or 10,000?

i'm trying to learn option trading and it seems like you can make big returns but i also understand you can lose it all as well.

Like how much money should i look to invest if i wanted to start trading options?

thanks.

Huzah

Man, what planet did these traders live on this past month when they expected the goal of the bailout was to prevent a recession.

I'm pretty sure the goal of the bailout was to prevent the mother of god financial meltdown and total collapse of the western financial system in the span of a week.

ArtG

Huzah said:
Man, what planet did these traders live on this past month when they expected the goal of the bailout was to prevent a recession.

I'm pretty sure the goal of the bailout was to prevent the mother of god financial meltdown and total collapse of the western financial system in the span of a week.

I'm hoping that when the earnings come out we can return to some sense of normalcy. The volatility of this market is dizzying.

WingM@n

gkrykewy said:
Why do you hate the economy? Every time I see that stupid walking dachshund in this thread, I know something terrible has happened.
:lol Í know, the dachshund is stupid (thanks for reminding me to get rid of that avatar)

Scarecrow

man, I wish I knew how to trade stocks right now. I have a stash of money I bet I could use to take advantage of the current slump.

ArtG

Scarecrow said:
man, I wish I knew how to trade stocks right now. I have a stash of money I bet I could use to take advantage of the current slump.

Start reading up on it. There are plenty of places on the web, as well as a plethora of books on different strategies to employ.

dionysus said:

Their extra services suck, but if you want to buy and sell theyre gold. Cheap, and on Monday they were the only site that was actually even working (TD and scott were down)

Use other sources for info.

I played around with options in my simulation account, and this is why I will stick with stocks

(October options, SIMULATION only)

Symbol Description Qty Purchase Price Current Price
ZQN JL Call on AMAZON.COM INC at $60.00 10 $0.50 $0.07

:lol

ArtG

jamesinclair said:
I played around with options in my simulation account, and this is why I will stick with stocks

(October options, SIMULATION only)

Symbol Description Qty Purchase Price Current Price
ZQN JL Call on AMAZON.COM INC at $60.00 10 $0.50 $0.07

:lol

Well, October options at this point are very, very, very risky on either side, especially with the market.

They're usually not AS risky if you're in a normal market and you're a month or two out on your calls/puts.

kathode

mackaveli said:
hey this might be a personal question and maybe you don't want to answer, but i was just curious how much money are you guys investing in Option trading? you guys seem to make like 20% or greater which is good. But are you guys investing like a 1,000? 2,000? or 10,000?

i'm trying to learn option trading and it seems like you can make big returns but i also understand you can lose it all as well.

Like how much money should i look to invest if i wanted to start trading options?

thanks.

Originally I wouldn't enter a position with less than $3k. Now however, after some losses, I put about $1k or less in, which skews things for me a bit. Like today I bought around $700 worth of C puts. It shot up, but a 30% gain is just around $200, which still strikes me as chump change :lol So I'm holding. They have earnings tomorrow at 10AM. I have to be on a plane at 9:45 unfortunately. Just going to have to put in both a limit and a stop before I go.

You can definitely lose money fast as hell. See back in the thread when I bought about $6k worth of GOOG calls at $1.30. The very next morning those calls were worth $0.05.

ArtG

kathode said:
You can definitely loose money fast as hell. See back in the thread when I bought about $6k worth of GOOG calls at $1.30. The very next morning those calls were worth $0.05.

Yowch.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
You guys should check out UltraShort Oil & Gas ProShares (ticker: DUG). Take a look at this chart of it compared to the Dow Jones -

Chart of DUG vs Dow Jones

It works contrary to the market. Anytime the market goes up, it goes down. But when the market tanks, it goes up. I was going to buy into this today @ $52. I should have, seeing as how it ended at $62.

Deku Tree

toxicgonzo said:
You guys should check out UltraShort Oil & Gas ProShares (ticker: DUG). Take a look at this chart of it compared to the Dow Jones -

Chart of DUG vs Dow Jones

It works contrary to the market. Anytime the market goes up, it goes down. But when the market tanks, it goes up. I was going to buy into this today @ $52. I should have, seeing as how it ended at $62.

would have been nice to buy that in july...

Ive confused myself

Whats the difference between a stop and a limit?

I have two stocks. I want to sell the first if it goes OVER an amount, what do I use?
I want to sell the second stock if it goes UNDER an amount, what do I use?

Top Bottom