• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

lil smoke

Banned
Deku Tree said:
Anyone here looking at Playboy? :lol :lol :lol

It's hovering around a dollar a share, been beaten down hard. :D

Seems like a brand like PLA is here to stay. Although seems like anybody can fail in this environment....
Still known for magazines though. I'm not aware of any real attempt to take that brand in a completely new direction.

Also the Playboy style (blond bimbo) is starting to get a bit old. Playboy was good for your grandad, he hid his mags in the basement and beat his shriveled penis into the fold out spreads

Now we have TB hard drives filled up with jpegs and mpegs. None of that including anything from PB.

dionysus

Yaldog
Loki said:
LMAO :lol

What do you think is funny? A CEO of a large company makes at least 40 (but it could be in the 100s) million a year. Now, assuming he works 60 hours a week for all 52 weeks. That puts his cost per hour at 40,000,000/(60*52)=$12,820/hr. So I exagerated a little. Now, he probably saves 3 hours in useless airport time by flying in the company jet. So now we are at over $37,000 of wasted salary by having him fly commercially. If you factor in that those jets are used by all the senior level people and that they fly all the time, it makes a ton of economic sense to fly CEOs in corporate jets and never put them on a commercial airline.

Now I think Rick is a moron, but he is the CEO of GM. He is the only person with the necessary authority to run that company, so even though he is incompetent, he is worth that much money if not more to GM.

Tarazet

Well, I'm torn. Buy more, or sell it all and rely on the sweep account? At least that will make me money, albeit not very much.

RotBot

I shorted 3 shares of Google at $284.55 2 days ago just to try out shorting on Zecco. It's now down to $252. I guess I should have bet more against Google. Still need to figure out how long I'm going to wait to cover.

Pimpwerx

What's the best place to go for realtime stock updates? I'm tired of hitting refresh in Zecco, and I've been using Marketwatch, which isn't always current. Bloomberg on my iPhone is also about 16 minutes behind. Any suggestions? I have Vista if there's a free app or gadget that'll give me up to the second quotes. PEACE.

I3rand0

Pimpwerx said:
What's the best place to go for realtime stock updates? I'm tired of hitting refresh in Zecco, and I've been using Marketwatch, which isn't always current. Bloomberg on my iPhone is also about 16 minutes behind. Any suggestions? I have Vista if there's a free app or gadget that'll give me up to the second quotes. PEACE.

I use Google Finance and Marketcaster from Etrade.

Tarazet

I bought some C at $3.73. Just about anything they could do would improve their position, whether it's splitting off Smith Barney or their store-card business or simply merging with another bank. Hell, for $20B I would buy Citibank for sure.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
One of those "ah damnit I should have bought" days.

I almost bought ADSK when it was down 20-something % today. Didn't. Closed at -15%.

ABX closed up 32%! Gold is going up.

Loki

Count of Concision
dionysus said:
What do you think is funny?

I was laughing at the specific part that I had quoted, not your argument for supporting private flights, which is for the most part internally consistent. And I'll reiterate: LMAO :lol

Pimpwerx

Should I experiment with shorting this early in my investment "career"? I see potential for more losses in financials and even autos this week, and the percentages could be ripe. My problem is I don't really know how to do it. I'm using zecco, so maybe someone can tell me if this makes sense:

I set a short transaction with the quantity I'd like to buy of the stock, right?

Then if I leave the order type as market, I just place the order and it borrows the stock at that price?

While I'm watching the stock price drop, what do I do when it reaches the point I want to stop at? This is what I do not understand.

Advice needed, preferably before 7am ET tomorrow. I'd like to put the suggestions into practice. I hope it doesn't sound crazy, but with the volatility of the market, shorting seems better than sitting around waiting for one of the few positive days. PEACE.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Pimpwerx said:
While I'm watching the stock price drop, what do I do when it reaches the point I want to stop at? This is what I do not understand.

Well if it drops at that price then you should be able to sell them back to the market, I would presume.

Don't take my word for it tho, never did shorting.

Kifimbo

sonarrat said:
I bought some C at $3.73. Just about anything they could do would improve their position, whether it's splitting off Smith Barney or their store-card business or simply merging with another bank. Hell, for $20B I would buy Citibank for sure.

Congrats, with the incoming Citi bailout, you probably made a lot of money.

Pimpwerx said:
I set a short transaction with the quantity I'd like to buy of the stock, right?
I'm not sure what the Zecco interface is like, but when you short a stock, you select the quantity you want to sell, not buy.

That leaves you in an open position. To close the position, you need to buy the stock back, which you can do via a buy market order or stops/limits, etc.

I'm talking to you like I would to an adult friend if he were to ask me the question you did. I don't expect said friend to keep repeating PEACE at the end of his sentences. Please cut that out.

Pimpwerx

Battersea Power Station said:
I'm not sure what the Zecco interface is like, but when you short a stock, you select the quantity you want to sell, not buy.

That leaves you in an open position. To close the position, you need to buy the stock back, which you can do via a buy market order or stops/limits, etc.

I'm talking to you like I would to an adult friend if he were to ask me the question you did. I don't expect said friend to keep repeating PEACE at the end of his sentences. Please cut that out.
Sorry, the ending stays, but I do appreciate the advice. I understood the selling/buying concept of short trading, but I didn't know what to do as far as closing the position. From the two posts I've read (and additional reading I've been doing), I'd just set a regular buy for the same amount I sold previously and the position will be closed by Zecco. I want to put a question mark there, but I guess it makes sense. I'm just unfamiliar with the interface since books don't really explain what to expect when you log in to your online broker. PEACE.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Battersea Power Station said:

:lol

I'm dying here. That's great.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Deku Tree said:
What kind of account do you have to have to sell (or buy) in pre-market trading?

Both margin and cash accounts should work, but it also depends on your broker I guess. Whatever you do, use a LIMIT order (it's forced in scottrade). Here's why:

lolpremarkettrading.jpg

It can get crazy at times

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
toxicgonzo said:
Both margin and cash accounts should work, but it also depends on your broker I guess. Whatever you do, use a LIMIT order (it's forced in scottrade). Here's why:

lolpremarkettrading.jpg

How could it hit $57 pre-market?

Tarazet

Kifimbo said:
You'll have plenty of time to sell before that.

Is it wrong that I don't want to sell my C? You don't get many opportunities like this, I'm looking for long-term holds and getting into a firm like this in its darkest hour is pretty cool.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
toxicgonzo said:

lolpremarkettrading.jpg

I doubt even with a limit order you could have sold during pre-market?

Deku Tree

When did the Fed and the Treasury get the power to loan unlimited amounts of taxpayer dollars without any disclosure, oversight or general checks and balances?

lil smoke

Banned
Great day. I could have made a ton today, but this morning I decided to not touch anything, just staying safe and all.

FUCK THIS SHIT GODDAMN STOCK FIN MARKET FUCKINBULLSHIT

Ether_Snake said:
At what point does the US debt become too big?

Too big for what? Too big to be paid off? I'm not sure that's possible... EVENTUALLY, it can all be paid off. Anytime in the next 10 years, no way in hell. How about 20, 30, 40 years down the road... well, maybe. What we need now is a WWIII and the rest of the world to pardon us of our debts, sort of how it went after WWII, just the other way around.

Deku Tree said:
When did the Fed and the Treasury get the power to loan unlimited amounts of taxpayer dollars without any disclosure, oversight or general checks and balances?

Wish I knew this too. How were tax dollars usually split up, via legislation and scheduled meeting of the Congress, right? I don't understand how so much can be done without their voice.

Tarazet

Ether_Snake said:
I doubt even with a limit order you could have sold during pre-market?

In the USA you can, provided your broker allows it. I have yet to trade on Zecco pre-market, but I did on E*Trade at least once. You pay an extra ETN fee on top of the commission.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Soka said:
Too big for what? Too big to be paid off? I'm not sure that's possible... EVENTUALLY, it can all be paid off. Anytime in the next 10 years, no way in hell. How about 20, 30, 40 years down the road... well, maybe. What we need now is a WWIII and the rest of the world to pardon us of our debts, sort of how it went after WWII, just the other way around.

I think the "other way around" would not be good for the US. The US canceled the European debt so Europe could start putting all of its money in rebuilding and consuming, which allowed the US economy to boom. If the US' debt was to be forgiven, you can be it would be in someone else's favor.

Anyway I feel like I missed some opportunities. I was one click away last Friday from buying ADSK at $12, and backed away. Today I was one click away from buying STP which has fallen to $6, didn't buy it. I have 80 shares of STP at like $31 a share, I could have bought 100 for $600.

Argh. I don't have enough money to buy now, which is one of the best times.

I'm hoping things go down further!:p

Ether_Snake said:
I'm hoping things go down further!:p

I'm with you on this. I don't think there's anything that's going to keep things on this upswing for very long. More than likely, we'll lose most of the last day or two's gains over the next week or so, and then some, once some bad news hits, either regarding the Big 3 in automotive, or just nasty retailer data for this shopping season.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I edited my previous post, not sure if you saw it. I think that yes news related to the Big 3 will have serious impact, positive or negative. But I think the game is being played in China now. That's where I expect the weight to fall in the balance.

-

I'm expecting things to get bad in China. They are the US of the 1920s/1930s. They over produced, and now the demand has significantly lessened. Worst of all, unlike the US, they couldn't turn their economy around into one more focused on domestic consumption because the gap in living standards is too significant. For China to make a drastic turn (and it would have to be drastic to make a different on the short term), they would risk collapse.

When production in China slows significantly, prices for food and other commodities other than oil are likely to go up again, at that point China would find itself in a difficult position, so their actions in relation to their US dollars is unpredictable, but if they were to start liquidating their treasuries the US dollar would fall. High commodity prices, low US dollar. That would be the likely result if China was to try to turn around.

Didn't see it, thanks for pointing it out.

I definitely see what you are saying, it's a very real possibility that China will find itself in a tough situation soon, which of course will have huge affects on the rest of the world. I'm just not so sure it will raise the price of goods. I can't help but feel it's just as likely the cost of goods would go down as retailers and manufacturers streamline and squeeze every penny of profit out, which would force them to even cut the final cost to the consumer to encourage spending during a recession (when, obviously, most people will be hoarding their money).

Just gotta wait and see, I suppose.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yes the price of goods will continue to fall, but what I was saying was that if China does turn around to orient their economy towards a domestic-consumption economy, the prices of goods will go up at that point as demand returns for the products. But this would only be in parallel to a falling US dollar since the Chinese people would need more purchasing power. So in a scenario where China tries to stop relying on the US for demand for its products by transforming its own economy (at great and risky costs), would lead to a rise in commodity prices from their bottom as demand would return, but Americans would not be in a great position to exercise demand at this point, leaving the US economy on the ground.

Regardless, the parallels between the China of today and the US of the 1920s/1930s is undeniable: The US was a massive creditor before the Depression and ran a very large trade surplus, and eventually ended up with a surplus of products it couldn't sell during an economic downturn.

That is the same description of today's China.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Fannie and Freddie up over 50 and 30% each today.

Might but some shares eventually after they fall again, like 100 of each. Just in case one day things turn around!:p

Top Bottom