• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Ovid

Ether_Snake said:
CAE (CGT) quarterly profit rises 25 percent :D

Of course this means nothing for the shares price on a short term basis, but it reinforces my confidence in the company.
Good to hear

Ovid

Zyzyxxz said:
what do you guys think about GM?

Very tempting to buy a few shares and hope it turns into gold a while from now.

Im thinking of picking up 100 shares each of Ford and GM as little side deals so I wont be risking much. I don't really think they will hit the bucket, I'm pretty sure Chrysler is gonna though unless something happens soon.

GM and Ford are just unfortunate victims of this crisis IMO. Chrysler was already slightly heading in the direction, this recession is just making it faster.

Your kidding, right? GM has been at Death's door for a couple of years now.

ArtG

Soka said:
REBOUND FOR NO APPARENT REASON.

Go dead cat go!

No kidding. When I checked around 1-1:30, we were down about 300. I come home and checked CNBC and we were up 45. Waited a few more minutes and we were up over 200. I just looked at the TV and said out loud: "Why? Why? What is causing this?"

The answer: Jack shit.

Any paper trade games that are easy to use out there?

I am using investopedia but it's not very intuitive, great place to learn but not very good place to game

lil smoke

Banned
Cmon experts. You are supposed to warn us ahead of time when the market jumps up like this! Next time, I need 2 hours notice. Thanks.

Pimpwerx

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm sticking with zecco for now, and might move to Bank of America by the end of the year. I don't have the 25k yet to get the $0 trades yet, but maybe by early next year.

Looking at the market today, I almost second-guessed myself again. It really seems like a gamble, but just something as simple as AAPL should make for a nice return. I imagine they'll be trimming projections too, but they're bound to go back up again. Am I crazy to want to buy some Apple stock when it dips back into the 80's again?

hectorse said:
Any paper trade games that are easy to use out there?

I am using investopedia but it's not very intuitive, great place to learn but not very good place to game
Virtual Stock Exchange, maybe? I used it for a bit a couple years ago. PEACE.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
iced lightning said:
I've got a lot of faith in stem cells... and solar stocks are dirt cheap right now as well. Just wish I had more cash to throw in.

We all wish we had more money;)

About CGT, they were up 13% today but now down 6% in AH, probably due to profit taking.

That being said, I think that one day simulators will be big empty boxes that can simulate any type of vehicle as the input devices will be virtual themselves, so you can just load up a high speed train simulation, or aircraft simulation, and practice. Hopefully this company will keep good management for years to come and invest in good R&D:)

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Holy shit I had many auto executed buy orders that I didn't remember and they net me a profit :lol . WTF, god bless you stock market. I am gonna pull out in the early morning though.

Zyzyxxz

tarius1210 said:
Your kidding, right? GM has been at Death's door for a couple of years now.

from what I ponder they can still be competitive, they are doing well in China and they may get lucky with Cadillac in the European market.

They just need to reorganize or split up their organizational structure. Either way I do not think our government will let GM die, it'd be too much of a blow to our already worsening economy.

Deku Tree

i.e. 15-20 years of flat stock prices....

http://www.economist.com/finance/displaystory.cfm?story_id=12437747

The Economist said:
AT THE end of 1964 the Dow Jones Industrial Average traded at 874.1. Seventeen years later, despite rapid inflation, the average had inched forward only to 875. It was the kind of grinding bear market that drove investors to despair. Near its end, Business Week famously proclaimed “The Death of Equities”.

Interesting read, Deku.

Unrelated to that, it looks like COOL is going to be delisted at this rate. It's slowly inching lower and I just can't see a situation it'd be at $1.00 for a week or more straight anytime soon. Will hold on and pray, I suppose.

Ovid

I have been looking at MWY for a few days now. It hit its 52 week low of $0.20 on Wednesday. It is now trading at $0.40. Mortal Kombat vs. DC comes out next week so I guess that is why there was a price spike yesterday. Too late to jump in?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Mortal Kombat VS DC will do well no doubt. I have no idea how much Midway trimmed down over the years. It's all about expenditures VS revenues, so if they are still losing a lot of money I doubt this game can turn things around.

They are probably due to being taken over in the near future IMO, but who knows.

Zyzyxxz

I was wondering what is gonna happen to Washington Mutual's stock?

It is trading around $0.06 right now and since they are now part of JP Morgan Chase does that mean their stock will eventually become JPM?

Ovid

Ether_Snake said:
Mortal Kombat VS DC will do well no doubt. I have no idea how much Midway trimmed down over the years. It's all about expenditures VS revenues, so if they are still losing a lot of money I doubt this game can turn things around.

They are probably due to being taken over in the near future IMO, but who knows.
If the stock pops at least $0.10 I could make a couple thousand on it if I buy. They are drowning in debt but this wouldn't be a long term buy so I really don't care.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Deku Tree said:

Dow Jones isn't capital weighted, it doesn't factor in dividends, it's only trying to measure the Industrials sector, and it doesn't take into account monetary inflation. You really cannot use it for long term comparisons.

I believe in that time frame, small cap domestic indexes made a killing. Diversify. Everything is down right now, but there's a lot of stuff that shouldn't be that'll bounce back within 5 years.

Anyone worried about retirement accounts shouldn't be. If you're in your 20s, you should be rather optimistic. Just about every business with a good foundation has a P/E ratio of 10 or less. Stocks are cheap, and long term, stocks always perform well.

http://people.few.eur.nl/smant/m-economics/bibl/bibl2-bonds.htm

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Zyzyxxz said:
what do you guys think about GM?

Very tempting to buy a few shares and hope it turns into gold a while from now.

Im thinking of picking up 100 shares each of Ford and GM as little side deals so I wont be risking much. I don't really think they will hit the bucket, I'm pretty sure Chrysler is gonna though unless something happens soon.

GM and Ford are just unfortunate victims of this crisis IMO. Chrysler was already slightly heading in the direction, this recession is just making it faster.

You could make a killing or lose it all but personally I'd buy Honda or Toyota. They're solid, but due to circumstances their PE is 7.0. It's a pretty much guaranteed doubling of your money within 2 years time. Long term, Honda/Toyota have a better business model and aren't plagued by unions.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
tarius1210 said:
If the stock pops at least $0.10 I could make a couple thousand on it if I buy. They are drowning in debt but this wouldn't be a long term buy so I really don't care.

$0.10 = +50%

Really think it will go up 50% in the future?;)

Deku Tree

So I have a crazy question for this topic.

I found out about an hour ago that when I was born a relative of mine purchased me a small number of shares of stock in a conglomerate called "Gulf and Western Inc".

As I understand it this company no longer exists, but it's "legal successor" is Viacom (whatever that means). Are my shares convertable somehow? (If so do you know how?) Or are they worthless?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I was looking at the new Skate 2 trailers. The game looks really good, coming out in March. ADSK is my next purchase but ERTS is close second. ADSK could possibly fall after earnings, so I'll wait till then to buy cause even if they were to do good the current market conditions won't allow the share price to surge.

kathode

Deku Tree said:
So I have a crazy question for this topic.

I found out about an hour ago that when I was born a relative of mine purchased me a small number of shares of stock in a conglomerate called "Gulf and Western Inc".

As I understand it this company no longer exists, but it's "legal successor" is Viacom (whatever that means). Are my shares convertable somehow? (If so do you know how?) Or are they worthless?

I would talk to whoever issued the shares. Presumably they're through some bank or brokerage. If Viacom owns the assets of the former company, then your shares should be convertible somehow. Failing something like a bankruptcy, there should be no situation where changing ownership of a company causes your money to simply disappear.

dionysus

Yaldog
Ether_Snake said:
I was looking at the new Skate 2 trailers. The game looks really good, coming out in March. ADSK is my next purchase but ERTS is close second. ADSK could possibly fall after earnings, so I'll wait till then to buy cause even if they were to do good the current market conditions won't allow the share price to surge.

I like TTWO at these levels. They have no debt, and so far I have liked there recent output. Bioshock, CivRev, and GTA DS may be brilliant as well. The market is still knocking them down from how mismanaged they were 2-3 years ago, but I think a lot of that has changed. Even though they were idiots to not take the ERTS takeover.

Ovid

I picked up a few shares of BJ (BJ's Wholesale Club) today. This stock should do well in the current economic climate. They will post earnings on Wednesday. Analysts are expecting a good quarter.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
dionysus said:
I like TTWO at these levels. They have no debt, and so far I have liked there recent output. Bioshock, CivRev, and GTA DS may be brilliant as well. The market is still knocking them down from how mismanaged they were 2-3 years ago, but I think a lot of that has changed. Even though they were idiots to not take the ERTS takeover.

I'm less confident about TTWO. I think that GTAIV did the most a GTA game could do this gen. When GTA:VC came out, the brand had gotten more popular over the years, same thing with GTA:SA, but since then there has been very little room to grow the fanbase, plus the console base is still rather small. So even with development costs down for a sequel, and no doubt the game will still be profitable, I think the GTA brand doesn't have as much value as it did in the past in relation to the size of the company. Bioshock is a good thing for them, no doubt Bioshock 2 will come out next fall or at the latest spring 2010, but their Mad Max game I forget the name of has disappeared (after once being shown, and it seemed advanced enough with all the procedural weapons) and it's unclear what happened with LA Noire.

I think the competition will be too strong for them to grow, unless they get lucky like they did with Bioshock, a game I'm sure even the management had little faith in a week before reviews came in. There was definitly potential in that Mad Max game, but it needs to be really good and really multi-player oriented with a strong single-player presentation. So far it looked like a programmer's game. We'll see in the future, if it still exists. LA Noire I have no faith in, seemed too artsy, and I see no appeal in the game (falls in the same category as Mafia) for a big audience.

If the economy was in a different shape I would be interested (like with many other stocks actually), simply because I am 100% certain they will be bought out before they go the way of Midway, thanks to their licenses. But when will that be who knows.

tarius: yeah BJ has been doing well, sort of a no brainer when you think about it, people might buy less food/stuff but BJ (and Cotsco, but I have no idea why the shares are not doing as good) will end up with more customers which makes up for it, and stuff people didn't buy in wholesale will now be bought there, even if they aren't actually saving money, it's almost psychological:p

Pimpwerx

Yahoo! is around $11 right now, and NPR just mentioned that they ditched their CEO. If it approaches $10, would it be a good pickup? I'm thinking if MS makes another bid again to the new CEO that it'll be a nice doubling or tripling of the investment. Thoughts? I'm not trying to get in trouble with my first investments. PEACE.

kathode

Pimpwerx said:
Yahoo! is around $11 right now, and NPR just mentioned that they ditched their CEO. If it approaches $10, would it be a good pickup? I'm thinking if MS makes another bid again to the new CEO that it'll be a nice doubling or tripling of the investment. Thoughts? I'm not trying to get in trouble with my first investments. PEACE.

Pretty good article on the near-term potential for YHOO (short version: Not that great).

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122703167276238013.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Personally I haven't been a fan of them for a long time. They seem continuously behind the curve on technology and market positioning, and I've felt the company has been stagnant overall for some time. You may see a short term bump from getting a new CEO in place, but as the article points out, that could take months, and even that's no guarantee of longer term success.

Pimpwerx

kathode said:
Pretty good article on the near-term potential for YHOO (short version: Not that great).

Personally I haven't been a fan of them for a long time. They seem continuously behind the curve on technology and market positioning, and I've felt the company has been stagnant overall for some time. You may see a short term bump from getting a new CEO in place, but as the article points out, that could take months, and even that's no guarantee of longer term success.
Thanks for that. I guess I'll wait and see then.

I have another question. I have Zecco and I place a limit order that might not be executed anytime soon, based on the current price. I would cancel the order, but I don't know if Zecco charges commission for orders placed, or trades executed, and can't quite find that information. Any idea? I assume it's the latter, but I don't want to take that chance. Since it's my first order, it would be free anyway, but I'd rather not use any of my freebies unless I have to. PEACE.

Tarazet

Pimpwerx said:
Thanks for that. I guess I'll wait and see then.

I have another question. I have Zecco and I place a limit order that might not be executed anytime soon, based on the current price. I would cancel the order, but I don't know if Zecco charges commission for orders placed, or trades executed, and can't quite find that information. Any idea? I assume it's the latter, but I don't want to take that chance. Since it's my first order, it would be free anyway, but I'd rather not use any of my freebies unless I have to. PEACE.

$5.00 per execution if you don't have any freebies. It doesn't count if it's cancelled.

Pimpwerx

sonarrat said:
$5.00 per execution if you don't have any freebies. It doesn't count if it's cancelled.
Thanks. That's what I was looking for. I wish the money had cleared my account back when RIMM was under $40. Oh well, there'll be others. I'm feeling much more relaxed about this process than I thought I would. This thread has been helpful. PEACE.

rvd2kewl

Pimpwerx said:

If it approaches $10 again it may be worth taking a look at...as long as the DOW is still holding above the lows set last month (7883), because I think it has decent valuation at that point and any big pop from the market should send it up another buck or two at least.

As far as a takeover/merger goes, I think it's inevitable that something will get done but I doubt it'll be for anything more than the $16-18 a share that's been rumored.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
kathode said:

They remind me off... Microsoft!

In my opinion there is no room for Yahoo and their current size, unless Google stumbles. But I don't like investing in the tech sector, unless it's businesses I know very well. Other than Yahoo Finance and Flickr, I can't tell you the last time I visited one of their sites.

I haven't been looking at the markets much these days, too busy with work. But I got a great impression from the producer I'm working with on a new project at work, and this has reinforced my confidence in being able to keep my job during though times. Also, there are some opportunities to move abroad, so it increases my job stability further. I've never traveled much, so it would be a bit of a shock initially but job stability and opportunities are important for me. Now all I can do is keep it up, do a good job at work, and keep on strengthening my portfolio in my free time.

Added AA to my watch list. GE is still a big interest, and I'm considering putting more eggs in one basket with both LPX and AHR. LPX is basically going into hibernation for the next few years, which will obviously lead to lots of downsizing, streamlining, and reduced profits, but I don't think they have any other choice with the housing market as it is, so I'm glad they're being very public about their intentions to cut back for a while.

rvd2kewl

Ballmer is saying that there will be no acquisition of Yahoo, only a potential partnership.

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/154844.asp

Ballmer again dismisses talk of Yahoo buy

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer reasserted during the company's annual shareholder's meeting Wednesday in Bellevue that the company was no longer interested in acquiring Yahoo.

"We are done with all acquisition discussions with Yahoo. I've said that a bunch of times," he said in response to a question.

One person in the hall at Bellevue's Meydenbauer Center then applauded.

At the same time, Ballmer said, Microsoft would still be open to a "search collaboration" with Yahoo, like the one Microsoft proposed in July, although he said there are no current discussions on that front.

His comments come two days after Yahoo CEO Jerry Yang announced he would step down.

Ballmer also said at the meeting that while the economic crisis would have an impact on the company, Microsoft would continue to invest heavily in research and development.

"I think it's the single most important reason for the success we've had over the years," he said.

Ballmer talked up last quarter's financial results, saying given the "current economic environment ... those were solid numbers."

"With our breadth and range of our products we are in a unique position," he said.

At the same time, he reasserted comments executives made during Microsoft's first-quarter earnings, saying that Microsoft would look to cut costs.

He said there would be "much, much smaller growth in headcount" this year and probably the year after.

YHOO is down 12.5% as a result of this news and it's currently sitting at $10.10.

I think the new debate will soon be "Are we in a recession . . . . or a depression?" :-(

Man it is crazy. I like how Sun Micro was selling below its cash on hand value.

Pimpwerx

rvd2kewl said:
Ballmer is saying that there will be no acquisition of Yahoo, only a potential partnership.

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/154844.asp

YHOO is down 12.5% as a result of this news and it's currently sitting at $10.10.
Yeah...no chance they lose like 15-20% overall for the day, right? I set a limit buy at $10, but I'm getting more nervous the closer it gets to that total. I'm hoping for some bounce back to like $11 by day's end, but I honestly have no idea. PEACE.

EDIT: Hehe, so this is what it feels like to lose a percentage of your money just by completing a transaction, huh? Looks like I've got my first long position. :lol

Top Bottom