• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
kathode said:
Anyone know anything about John Summa? He runs optionsnerd.com and does a bunch of options seminars around the world. He's doing one down the road from me next month. Pretty steep entry fee at $850 so I'll probably pass. But it's tempting to learn more of teh strategeries :D

$850 no:p

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
The strategies are common sense, following the market (especially niches) and watching out for stuff. Besides, most Wall Street big sales come from insiders who know certain stuff before hand. If you ever get to meet an "insider", make full use of it =P

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think tomorrow is the day the rallies end. We are going down from here and hard IMO. The number of job lost in December will probably be near or worst than last month. This will be global. Now let's see what that will do to China's economy, and how they'll handle that.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Timber!

Although if you put this into perspective, tens of billions is nothing compared to $700B. Are we overreacting a little?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
FUCK. I was THIS close to Autonation puts. Fuck. My only position is still Campbell Soup. Although if this market action continues for the next couple of days I suspect I will start to deploy some funds.

lil smoke

Banned
I've got a green net change, and I can't tell where it's coming from! Currently taking one up the ass from GM :lol feels kinda good actually. As bad as it is, it certainly isn't tanking, there is still reistance.

Tarazet

Ether_Snake said:
GM went from 2.5 to 4 today.

I was going to buy it at market open, but my partner was like ohhhhhh deflation is coming, short Bank of America and short real estate, invest in treasuries.. I bought some BAC puts. He cost me a lot of money today. I'm not letting him pick my stocks anymore.

Tarazet

GM $5 December calls opened the day at $0.01. They peaked at $0.6 only a little bit later.

So if I had invested $100 in them, I could have walked off with $6,000.

/facepalm

lil smoke

Banned
sonarrat said:
GM $5 December calls opened the day at $0.01. They peaked at $0.6 only a little bit later.

So if I had invested $100 in them, I could have walked off with $6,000.

/facepalm
Coulda shoulda woulda... you never really know whats gonna happen.

Tarazet

lil smoke said:
Coulda shoulda woulda... you never really know whats gonna happen.

I did, though. I didn't do it because my partner sent me this frantic email. That's exactly what I was going to do this morning, was buy GM calls when all the idiots sold in a panic and then sell them when sanity was restored.

lil smoke

Banned
sonarrat said:
I did, though. I didn't do it because my partner sent me this frantic email. That's exactly what I was going to do this morning, was buy GM calls when all the idiots sold in a panic and then sell them when sanity was restored.
Oh you went against instinct. You'll probably have another chance, I think it's starting to dip a little again. Probably going to fluctuate since no one really knows the reprecussions of all this.

toxicgonzo

Today ended in green numbers? wait, what?!?

I guess talks of White House intervention for the auto industry saved the day.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Well to be frank last night I was thinking "wtf, wait, it just failed over the issue of union pay" and thought that it would probably not fall that much because everyone KNOWS there will be a bailout anyway.

Anyway, I'm looking at how ADSK went from 12 to 18 in a few weeks (two or three). Back then if I had the money I would have bought. It finished up almost 6% today. Oh well!

Pimpwerx

Deku Tree said:
How much do you think GM and F would pop on news of a bailout?
I'd say go with Ford over GM. I picked up Ford at $3 on Thursday. I was gonna average down yesterday if it hit $2, but it was a bit shy. They're not in as great danger as GM is. I'd hate to buy GM right before a bankruptcy. Ford at least has some cash, and the percentage gains (and losses) are greater. PEACE.

Loki

Count of Concision
Relix said:
The strategies are common sense, following the market (especially niches) and watching out for stuff. Besides, most Wall Street big sales come from insiders who know certain stuff before hand. If you ever get to meet an "insider", make full use of it =P

Wait, isn't that illegal?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Loki said:
Wait, isn't that illegal?

There are insiders, huge-volume traders who work inside companies and have contacts inside the company. Say you knew beforehand that Google was gonna buy Yahoo 2 weeks beforehand. You would invest millions into Yahoo, short Google. When the transaction happens the Yahoo stocks will definitely go up and Google ones will fall. Pure $$$$. Just an example of how there are lots of these insiders.

Also.... Ford and GM :lol I buy and sell them every 7 hours :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
http://us.rd.yahoo.com/finance/finh...z.yahoo.com/ap/081214/fed_interest_rates.html

Fed mulls interest rate cut, maybe to all-time low

With the country spiraling deeper into recession, the Federal Reserve is ready to slash its key interest rate -- perhaps to an all-time low-- in hopes of cushioning some of the economic fallout felt by many struggling Americans.

And I just realized ABX has jumped 50% since mid/late November. Completely forgot about gold.

Roubini said he expects another 20% drop or so for equities. I'm out of cash right now (damn holidays) and I won't be buying anything soon since I am trying to grow my safety moreso, which means more saving less spending.

Just noticed I've been consuming a lot more electricity this winter already. Stupid shitty house, air comes in too easily. I'm bailing out of here in July.

Loki

Count of Concision
Relix said:
There are insiders, huge-volume traders who work inside companies and have contacts inside the company. Say you knew beforehand that Google was gonna buy Yahoo 2 weeks beforehand. You would invest millions into Yahoo, short Google. When the transaction happens the Yahoo stocks will definitely go up and Google ones will fall. Pure $$$$. Just an example of how there are lots of these insiders.

Also.... Ford and GM :lol I buy and sell them every 7 hours :lol

My question was rhetorical. This sort of behavior is in fact illegal, since the market assumes symmetry of information.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
http://www.cfr.org/publication/17978/

The European Union has threatened to prepare a WTO complaint (Bloomberg) if the terms of the U.S. auto bailout violate trade rules. European financial papers are filled with reminders of 2004, when the United States filed such a complaint on behalf of Boeing against European aircraft maker Airbus, which received generous subsidies from France. China and Japan, frequently accused of "dumping" below-cost products on the U.S. market to undercut American competitors, could take similar steps. This 2007 Council Special Report looks at the WTO's dispute resolution system in depth.

Now that doesn't mean that the bailout would be blocked, but that if it passes then US trading partners will probably resort to financing their own local companies in ways that used to be prevented by the WTO rules.

Good thing IMO, fuck the WTO.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ERTS has been on a straight downward path for four sessions now.

lil smoke

Banned
Well NYDOY is around 49. Yeah on second thought I will be happy to break even and get my $ out of there... come back when it falls back down.

toxicgonzo

The US Federal Reserve has slashed its key interest rate from 1% to a range of between zero and 0.25%

Stock market explodes in response

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Holy shit what a shit load of money I've made today!!! :D :D :D :lol :lol :lol !!

Goldman Sachs jumped 11 bucks even with the losses, and I just sold them for an awesome profit of $264. Add to that Google, FAS, AMZN and more. Pure $$$$ today. Yes, yes and yes. Thank you Fed... but now bring it back up. The rate that low will just cause USA to blow up soon

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Tamanon said:
So.....um, what does the Fed do when things start to tank again in a week?

They are fucked. Nowhere to go anymore. They can try a few things but it won't be enough, they buy T Bills though.

toxicgonzo

What's below zero? Negative numbers. Pretty soon the Fed will be paying us to borrow money!

But seriously, have we reached the end of economic help? There's no more money for bailouts, the Fed is cutting rates to zero, etc. What's left?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
toxicgonzo said:
What's below zero? Negative numbers. Pretty soon the Fed will be paying us to borrow money!

But seriously, have we reached the end of economic help? There's no more money for bailouts, the Fed is cutting rates to zero, etc. What's left?

500px-EarthExploding.jpg

Tarazet

Well, remember how my partner convinced me to short BAC? I got rid of the puts midday today for $0.22. By closing bell they were at $0.05. I dodged a bullet there.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Bah it went up 10% today, and to me it doesn't matter I'm not day-trading this, I'm holding very long term. CGT is the only company I own shares of with ATVI I can sleep on. And you can't predict stock movement like that:p

They already got downgraded a few hours ago by Pipper Jaffray anyway from Buy to Neutral.

Ovid

Ether_Snake said:
Bah it went up 10% today, and to me it doesn't matter I'm not day-trading this, I'm holding very long term. CGT is the only company I own shares of with ATVI I can sleep on. And you can't predict stock movement like that:p

They already got downgraded a few hours ago by Pipper Jaffray anyway from Buy to Neutral.
I'm only saying it because I want to buy more shares at a lower price.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Oh well I expect them to follow the Dow really, so I wouldn't be surprised if it went down.

Top Bottom