• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
RSTEIN said:
I heard they're closing down and firing everyone ;)

We are getting a live conference in an hour about the economy. I don't think it's good news. The 11% sounds like insider selling.

Tarazet

Bought a 2010 call at $10.00 strike for Newell-Rubbermaid and two 2011 calls at $2.50 strike for AMD. I feel good about this.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
OPEC Makes Record Oil Cut to Rescue Prices; Oil Still Tumbles-

:D

STP going up nearly 10% for whatever reason. Ubisoft closed down almost 14%.

Tarazet

How is my real-estate ETF (VNQ) up 44% since I bought it? It's not even leveraged! I don't get it, but I bought it for the yields so I'm not complaining!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
TTWO down 19% in AH thanks to poor outlook. Not surprised, like I said before I think they have no way to go up in the long run. They'll get cheap and get bought for much less than EA once offered them, to the shame of the management. Unless of course they manage to pulloff a couple of Carnival Games while the competition doesn't.

ATVI is the only company doing everything right IMO. I wonder if Ubi will recover tomorrow. They will definitly have to lower their forecast, which they raised three times this year already.

mint

Banned
Relix said:
Holy shit what a shit load of money I've made today!!! :D :D :D :lol :lol :lol !!

Goldman Sachs jumped 11 bucks even with the losses, and I just sold them for an awesome profit of $264. Add to that Google, FAS, AMZN and more. Pure $$$$ today. Yes, yes and yes. Thank you Fed... but now bring it back up. The rate that low will just cause USA to blow up soon

rofl. profit of 264. add two zeros and that's the profit i got today :D

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
mint said:
rofl. profit of 264. add two zeros and that's the profit i got today :D

Screw you =P.

I have 4,287.89 in my investment account, and I didn't use it fully in that last rally. Now I wish I did =(. Oh well, generating profit. So far, even with the bad economy, I haven't ever turned a loss. I am generating every single day. Kick. Ass. =P

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
mint said:
i'm just amazed at how easy it is with stock market..you just need to think and act smart.

Dude those 4K? It has only taken me a year to make $1000 into that. You just gotta be patient, read news, adopt new tactics every day and have a shor-term and a long-term plan. It's not hard at all. Short, Buy, Option, etc. Stop Limits are your friend. Constant access to the market is a must though.

I plan on injecting $700 to my investment account this week so I can have around $5K ready to invest. Sometimes I get frustrated with the market... but so is life =P

Tarazet

tarius1210 said:
Do u guys keep an emergency fund separate from your investment accounts?

I don't have an investment account.. I have a retirement account. The only real reason to play the market at this point is so I can save up, because I'm not likely to become a squillionaire. So yes, I have an emergency fund that is separate from that.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
tarius1210 said:
Do u guys keep an emergency fund separate from your investment accounts?

Not separate, but basically there is a certain amount at which point I don't take money out. I'm trying to grow it right now, but at the same time I don't want to miss opportunities, which I feel I have missed already (unless we go back down to low 8000 or 7000). Like I missed ADSK at 12 a few weeks ago, now trading at 19, and I've been talking about buying some for a long time. Stuff like that:|

Pimpwerx

Relix said:
Dude those 4K? It has only taken me a year to make $1000 into that. You just gotta be patient, read news, adopt new tactics every day and have a shor-term and a long-term plan. It's not hard at all. Short, Buy, Option, etc. Stop Limits are your friend. Constant access to the market is a must though.

I plan on injecting $700 to my investment account this week so I can have around $5K ready to invest. Sometimes I get frustrated with the market... but so is life =P
See, this is something I'm wondering about. You say it too you a year to quadruple your investment, and I'm wondering if you did that with consistent performance all year, or if it was in this last quarter when the market went tits-up.

I ask b/c I am seriously considering doing daytrading for a living after my current pool of clients dries up. I'm saving like a madman, and diverting it all into my portfolio right now so I can have a healthy war chest to work with in a couple of years. I don't want to do that in vain though. I hope the current volatility of the market hasn't given me a false sense of security because the daily gains can be remarkable.

Friday will make a month since my first trade, and assuming I don't forget to set my stop orders, I should have made my first $1000 in that first month. I only had $1000 in there for my first trade, and though I've raised the total to $9000, more than half of that is sunk into Zale. I learned a lot of lessons the first month, and made a number of mistakes, and still realized more than 11% gains already. That could have been so much more. I was only working with $3000 for half the month too, so I just find it remarkable how much you can grow your money on the market. But I don't want to start dreaming of doing this for a living then scrimp and scrape to see even a 1% increase over a month. PEACE.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ubisoft down another 11% today. Now worth 12 euros. It dropped over 60% since June. I think this is a good price.

TTWO down 25%.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
CGT finished up almost 6% on no news. Everything else is down.

KR3W

Banned
Since I can't make threads, I'll ask here:

What is the consensus on loan mods and debt consolidation here? My buddy is about to get me into the industry, and it seems pretty simple to make money.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Pimpwerx said:
See, this is something I'm wondering about. You say it too you a year to quadruple your investment, and I'm wondering if you did that with consistent performance all year, or if it was in this last quarter when the market went tits-up.

I ask b/c I am seriously considering doing daytrading for a living after my current pool of clients dries up. I'm saving like a madman, and diverting it all into my portfolio right now so I can have a healthy war chest to work with in a couple of years. I don't want to do that in vain though. I hope the current volatility of the market hasn't given me a false sense of security because the daily gains can be remarkable.

Friday will make a month since my first trade, and assuming I don't forget to set my stop orders, I should have made my first $1000 in that first month. I only had $1000 in there for my first trade, and though I've raised the total to $9000, more than half of that is sunk into Zale. I learned a lot of lessons the first month, and made a number of mistakes, and still realized more than 11% gains already. That could have been so much more. I was only working with $3000 for half the month too, so I just find it remarkable how much you can grow your money on the market. But I don't want to start dreaming of doing this for a living then scrimp and scrape to see even a 1% increase over a month. PEACE.

I did it with a consistent performance throught the year, though admittedly I have generated a $1000 after the last crash this quarter. And don't worry, even in crashes you can make money by shorting money, which is a perfectly acceptable technique. We are in the market to make money, not lose. The only stock in which I ever lost a considerable amount of money was BHRT, and I actually managed to recover that by shorting them afterward. Of course, you will see your bad days (July, August and October were BAD for me) but usually you can recover quickly afterward. Also, if I see an opportunity, I will divert all my money into that one chance. It has paid off greatly, especially in the latest weeks. You need to constantly scout the internet for news, especially in the night after the market closes and BEFORE the market opens. After hours trading is also possible.

I recommend Zecco. After you have $2500 in their account you have a certain amount of trades for free. I am using that and my Charles Schwab account for investment right now. That mix has been great for me. In this market all that matters is information and intuition. Those complex tactics that some Wall Street people try to put into you? Bullshit to scare you and make you lose your wits and use the services of a "professional" broker. Trust me, I've worked in this field, and it's pure bullshit. At Goldman Sachs you just had to keep in touch with clients and recommend them how to invest their money. Its great for people with lots to burn and no time at all, but their techniques differ nothing with the ones personal investors use. Of course, they have more information, especially internal info, but that's something we individual investors have to find out and try to predict. Some things are of course impossible to predict, but it's worth taking the risk.

As a side note, I added $1000 into my investment account. $300 more than expected. Got a hefty bonus :D

Pimpwerx

I have to laugh heartily at Take-Two. What a bunch of morons. When EA offered them the deal earlier this year, I said they should have taken it. They have nothing but GTA in their crappy portfolio, and the days of milking that will soon end. EA offered them way more than the franchise was going to be worth for a company that is so fiscally irresponsible. If I had money the time, I would have shorted, b/c there was honestly nowhere for the stock to go but down. Seriously, what did anyone see in them after GTA4's launch? Did anyone really believe the DLC would do something, or that the company would manage to turn things around and not completely waste the GTA4 cash haul? The management of that company should be strung up.

Relix said:
I did it with a consistent performance throught the year, though admittedly I have generated a $1000 after the last crash this quarter. And don't worry, even in crashes you can make money by shorting money, which is a perfectly acceptable technique. We are in the market to make money, not lose. The only stock in which I ever lost a considerable amount of money was BHRT, and I actually managed to recover that by shorting them afterward. Of course, you will see your bad days (July, August and October were BAD for me) but usually you can recover quickly afterward. Also, if I see an opportunity, I will divert all my money into that one chance. It has paid off greatly, especially in the latest weeks. You need to constantly scout the internet for news, especially in the night after the market closes and BEFORE the market opens. After hours trading is also possible.

I recommend Zecco. After you have $2500 in their account you have a certain amount of trades for free. I am using that and my Charles Schwab account for investment right now. That mix has been great for me. In this market all that matters is information and intuition. Those complex tactics that some Wall Street people try to put into you? Bullshit to scare you and make you lose your wits and use the services of a "professional" broker. Trust me, I've worked in this field, and it's pure bullshit. At Goldman Sachs you just had to keep in touch with clients and recommend them how to invest their money. Its great for people with lots to burn and no time at all, but their techniques differ nothing with the ones personal investors use. Of course, they have more information, especially internal info, but that's something we individual investors have to find out and try to predict. Some things are of course impossible to predict, but it's worth taking the risk.

As a side note, I added $1000 into my investment account. $300 more than expected. Got a hefty bonus :D
Well that's definitely reassuring. To quadruple your money after seeing both sides of the economic crisis is good. I'm not even gonna need a scary percentage like that to survive, so I guess there's a chance I can do this for a living. I really can't complain right now. I'm usually looking at the market or news from 9-5, and that's with zero commute time. :D This is honestly how I want to "work" for the rest of my life. Well, once my clients run out at least. They're the ones making this a possibility. PEACE.

Deku Tree

So you can't sell a stock you bought before your brokerage pays for it? I just got a letter saying that I did as much.... Apparently that is bad.

But how do you know when your brokerage has gotten around to paying for it? They take the money out of my account right away...

Cloudy

Banned
I just signed up for Sharebuilder to get the free $50 (free 1 month trial as well so no fees). Does anyone here actually use this service as their main brokerage account? Looks like it'd be expensive :eek:

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Unemployment in the US is believed to go up to over 9%.

Romer said the economy is likely to lose 3 million to 4 million jobs over the next year and the unemployment rate is likely to rise to above 9 percent.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aErykotArO64&refer=home

Japan’s Exports Plunged 26.7% in November as Recession Deepened

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=alPtT6D4lKqU&refer=home

“Japan’s export crash is finally upon us, and this is the worst thing that could happen,” said Yoshiki Shinke, a senior economist at Dai-Ichi Life Research Institute in Tokyo. “The recession will be very severe as companies adjust investment, production and labor.”

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ubisoft losing another 7% today. Soon to be below 10 euros if this keeps up.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Looks like this is the downturn. A lot of bad opinions saying GM and co are in trouble even with a bailout, and lots of news coming out now showing that things are getting worst (just check nakedcapitalism.com and other news sources like Reuters, etc.).

Cloudy

Banned
Guys, what's a good penny stock to buy? I wanna get my free $50 from Sharebuilder with something I won't have to liquidate later..

I typically buy index funds so I am clueless :p

Pimpwerx

Cloudy said:
Guys, what's a good penny stock to buy? I wanna get my free $50 from Sharebuilder with something I won't have to liquidate later..

I typically buy index funds so I am clueless :p
It's not under $1, but I'd say watch for Ford(F). Looks like it'll go back under $2 again, which is a steal IMO. They are the most stable of the Big3, and really just being brought down by the others right now. When the gov steps in Jan or Feb, I expect it to go back to $3-4. There's also Nortel(NT) which seems like a company on the brink of collapse, but the sale of their ethernet division could be coming in the next few weeks and could possibly put it up to $1. But you're also flirting witha company that's flirting with bankruptcy. :( PEACE.

Cloudy

Banned
I really don't care if it tanks. Just buying some crap with no transaction fee to get the free $50 :p

Anything I should know before doing this? I've never bought individual stock before

Tarazet

Cloudy said:
I really don't care if it tanks. Just buying some crap with no transaction fee to get the free $50 :p

Anything I should know before doing this? I've never bought individual stock before

You'll probably have to pay to sell it eventually, so you should know what it will cost to do so.

Cloudy

Banned
sonarrat said:
You'll probably have to pay to sell it eventually, so you should know what it will cost to do so.

It costs like $16 to sell on Sharebuilder but the whole point of buying worthless stock is to just buy it and leave it alone, right? Am I missing something here?

Tarazet

Cloudy said:
It costs like $16 to sell on Sharebuilder but the whole point of buying worthless stock is to just buy it and leave it alone, right? Am I missing something here?

If you're taking an all or nothing approach, that can be just fine. Most penny stocks are penny stocks for a reason, though. If you're looking for massive potential, try AMD. $2.00 and though their situation is kind of tight right now, they're turning their product line around in a big way.

Check into NVD - it's a biotech company that just got FDA approval for their sleep aid drug, which is like ambient but in spray form. It shot up to 1.60 or so upon approval but has dropped way back down to 38 cents a share right now. Once they form a partnership with someone to market their drug it should head over a dollar again easy... you're welcome. :D

Cloudy

Banned
Deku Tree said:
You could just buy one share of

Vanguard Short-Term Bond ETF (Public, NYSE:BSV)

if you want to be safe...

On a related note, can someone school me on ETFs? I'm pretty much a "buy and holder", would they be a good option for me?

Cloudy

Banned
Thanks, Deku. I guess I'll just buy some SPY with my free trial (no transaction fees). I really like ING Direct so I'll keep the Sharebuilder account open but switch to the Basic account once this trial is up.

They seem to have lots of free realtime trade coupons floating about so I'll make trades as long as I don't have to pay :D

Gallbaro

Banned
Anyone else considering a heavy position long oil?

I gotta go back to studying Chinese so I cannot really explain myself in depth, just a cut in supply by both production and plant capacity would seem to eventually outpace the drop in demand, include the fact that demand will likely increase or at least stabilize at this price.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think demand will continue to fall for some time. But yeah oil is not something I'd be worried about long-term. My next purchase is BHI, I already have some shares but I need to buy some more cause those I have are from back when it was in the 60s or so.

I'm thinking of buying some ABX when it falls back in the 20s eventually.

Tarazet

Cloudy said:
On a related note, can someone school me on ETFs? I'm pretty much a "buy and holder", would they be a good option for me?

Yes, but avoid the leveraged ones. There's a mathematical reason why they perform worse long-term than ETF's that are leveraged 1:1..

Say you buy $1000 of an ETF that mirrors the performance of the DOW, let's call it DOW1. You also buy an equal amount of an ETF that doubles the daily gain and loss of the DOW, let's call it DOW2.

The DJIA loses 5% over the course of the next week. Then it rebounds by 5% the next week.

DOW1 falls to $950, then recovers to $997.50.
DOW2 falls to $900, then recovers to $990.00.

You see that? The leveraged ETF can provide much greater short-term gains, but every time it goes up and down your money is slowly bleeding away.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
sonarrat said:
Yes, but avoid the leveraged ones. There's a mathematical reason why they perform worse long-term than ETF's that are leveraged 1:1..

Say you buy $1000 of an ETF that mirrors the performance of the DOW, let's call it DOW1. You also buy an equal amount of an ETF that doubles the daily gain and loss of the DOW, let's call it DOW2.

The DJIA loses 5% over the course of the next week. Then it rebounds by 5% the next week.

DOW1 falls to $950, then recovers to $997.50.
DOW2 falls to $900, then recovers to $990.00.

You see that? The leveraged ETF can provide much greater short-term gains, but every time it goes up and down your money is slowly bleeding away.

I don't get it. Looks to me like you'd get the same results.

Top Bottom