• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Straight Outta Compton Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

icecube-atfirstiwaslike.jpg

I demand a sequel to Straight Outta Compton exploring Ice Cube's transformation from hardest mother fucker on the planet to Are We There Yet?

Also, Dre discovers Eminem, 50 Cent, and headphones?

Straight Outta Compton 2: Electric Boogaloo

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Slightly off-topic:
Growing up during the 90's in South Los Angeles and having relatives from Long Beach and Inglewood, we'd never go see movies of this ilk (i.e. Boyz in the Hood) on opening night nor in our neighborhoods since it was a magnet for someone wanting to act out. I'm not a movie person anymore nor do I even live in the same county but do people still have the same fears these days?

AxelFoley

Why do I get the feeling this won't accurately portray NWA but make it more about police brutality and keeping the black man down. Don't get me wrong, that's important but it seems like that will over shadow the characters which means we probably won't get a proper NWA movie.

Why am I not surprised that someone who is a member for NotAllCops.com feels this way?

FStop7

Banned
Slightly off-topic:
Growing up during the 90's in South Los Angeles and having relatives from Long Beach and Inglewood, we'd never go see movies of this ilk (i.e. Boyz in the Hood) on opening night nor in our neighborhoods since it was a magnet for someone wanting to act out. I'm not a movie person anymore nor do I even live in the same county but do people still have the same fears these days?

There was a story on the local news about this yesterday. Concern about the potential for violence at the premieres, etc. Universal offering to provide extra security at some theaters, etc. Honestly, it came off like Universal is trying to leverage racial tensions and fears of violence as a component of their marketing campaign, which is incredibly scummy.

Why do I get the feeling this won't accurately portray NWA but make it more about police brutality and keeping the black man down. Don't get me wrong, that's important but it seems like that will over shadow the characters which means we probably won't get a proper NWA movie.
There are little movies about that subject matter currently, so even covering that would be great for me.

Why am I not surprised that someone who is a member for NotAllCops.com feels this way?
Damn

.hacked

got my tickets for tomorrow afternoon, all shows at the nice theater with the reclining seats all sold out for tonight.

So going to see Straight Outta Compton then off to see Weird Al, tomorrow going to be a treat.

Auctopus

Sounds good. Exactly what I expected, entertaining and compelling whilst the truth has been stretched a little (APCs and Assault Rifles).

CMYOwAaU8AEfEYr.png:large

Imagine going back 20 years when to a post-NWA Cube was at the height of his involvement with the Nation of Islam, and telling him that he will one day be hailed as an inspirational icon to an audience full of 40-something white housewives who wild out over the crazy brother named Ice Cube from the stupid dope gang with an attitude.

Is that Raven on the far right?

Just watched this at a multiplex in semi-rural, conservative Michigan and had the entire theater to myself. It was awesome.

Also, the trailer for Ride Along 2 played before the movie and it was the cruelest juxtaposal irony I have ever seen.

Are you black?

Slightly off-topic:

Yeah the blacks scare the shit out of me too.

jmood88

The dude who played Eazy acted his ass off and it's crazy how much Ice Cube's son looks exactly like him. This easily could've been some shitty BET/VH1 original and I'm really glad it wasn't.

Imagine going back 20 years when to a post-NWA Cube was at the height of his involvement with the Nation of Islam, and telling him that he will one day be hailed as an inspirational icon to an audience full of 40-something white housewives who wild out over the crazy brother named Ice Cube from the stupid dope gang with an attitude.
Speaking of which, it was pretty funny to see a trailer for Ride Along 2 before seeing an hour of Ice Cube being abused by the police.

Boogie9IGN

Just caught it in a theater with only 7 other people (noon on a Fri) so I didn't have to deal with the crowds. Loved the movie, time really flew by. Great acting all around and the
Snoop/Tupac parts were welcome surprises

Made sure to bring my Compton hat to complete the experience too

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Yeah the blacks scare the shit out of me too.

That's where you're gonna take this? That's a damned shame. Not sure how much drive-bys and gang violence you've lived through but my question was pretty localized to people who may have grown up in the same areas I listed post 90s but whatever.

Did anybody see any cops at their theater? Mine had an unusual amount. A cop at the entrance. One at the second entrance to the actual showing rooms. Two cars outside with two cops sitting on the hood. If it's an actual trend someone should make a thread.

Did anybody see any cops at their theater? Mine had an unusual amount. A cop at the entrance. One at the second entrance to the actual showing rooms. Two cars outside with two cops sitting on the hood. If it's an actual trend someone should make a thread.
There was a report in my local news about them increasing security on specifically this movie.
It's not based on the recent theater shootings I don't think.

ezekial45

Banned
Just came back. It was pretty damn good. It's definitely one of the better biopics I've seen in a long time. Of course, they glossed over the more unsavory aspects of their lives, but that was expected. Still, I really enjoyed myself. The crowd loved it too.

Btw, did anyone else see extra security il outside of their auditoriums? They had a door checker and security nearby, which was really odd.

Permanently A

Just came back. It was pretty damn good. It's definitely one of the better biopics I've seen in a long time. Of course, they glossed over the more unsavory aspects of their lives, but that was expected. Still, I really enjoyed myself. The crowd loved it too.

Btw, did anyone else see extra security il outside of their auditoriums? They had a door checker and security nearby, which was really odd.

Our local newspaper had a ridiculous head line today about the movie opening with extra security , labeling it as a "gang violence movie."
http://khon2.com/2015/08/13/hawaii-theaters-bump-up-security-for-opening-of-gang-violence-movie/

Anyway, saw the movie on Thursday, loved it.

lmao

"theater shootings could happen at any time, but we're going to bulk up security for just this movie. no reason in particular of course"

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple's contract with Dre restricts him from acknowledging or bringing that up. And seeing as he's a producer for the film, I doubt it is included.

Which would be disappointing after Disney allowed Saving Mr. Banks to have Tom Hanks give a monologue about how Walt Disney's father beat him daily.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I loved it, but also hated.

Best way to describe the film, it is a greatest hits album. They don't really get into any depth with anything, rather it just lightly trends into it. I wished it stayed just the Easy-E biopic that it was originally intended.

Other than that, I was having a blast. Guy who played Easy-E did wonders.

There was a report in my local news about them increasing security on specifically this movie.
It's not based on the recent theater shootings I don't think.

Our local newspaper had a ridiculous head line today about the movie opening with extra security , labeling it as a "gang violence movie."
http://khon2.com/2015/08/13/hawaii-theaters-bump-up-security-for-opening-of-gang-violence-movie/

Anyway, saw the movie on Thursday, loved it.

It's definitely on "random search" levels of pearl clutching.

That was a fantastic biopic, it was well-shot and the movie held on to a steady pace until about the last 30 minutes or so. Some parts at the end felt rush and disjointed, not sure if some of the timeline is off with
Tupac recording Hail Mary in 93, Dre still in Deathrow, etc)
. Highly enjoyed it despite the weak third act.

ezekial45

Banned
Oh yeah, I LOOOOOOVED the shout out to
Friday
during scene where Ice Cube is
writing the script.
That must've been fun for F. Gary Gray to shoot.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH

Yeah, it's safe to say he's changed quite a bit.

I don't wanna read the thread, but the MC Ren and DJ Yella get no real play or nah? Cause they, Ren especially, are super fucking important.

I don't wanna read the thread, but the MC Ren and DJ Yella get no real play or nah? Cause they, Ren especially, are super fucking important.

Yeah it's a shame. The trailers and reviews for the movie make it out to be a 3 man group

Dre was the least memorable rapper of the group tbh. He popped off big time when the chronic came out

I heard this was initially going to be an eazy e biopic so I hope they did his story good

Yeah it's a shame. The trailers and reviews for the movie make it out to be a 3 man group

Dre was the least memorable rapper of the group tbh. He popped off big time when the chronic came out

I heard this was initially going to be an eazy e biopic so I hope they did his story good

Man a straight up Eazy-E biopic like this was supposed to be would be so easy too.

First act is him slanging crack as a mid-level dealer in the 80's, then you get the second reel where he's at the height of his powers with NWA, then third reel is the fallout with Dre and Cube and Ren and his solo work blasting back and forth with Dre before you give the last 20 minutes or so to his disease and death.

Writes itself, the man had an incredibly interesting life.

And yeah, MC Ren helped produce most of Dre's best work, it's a shame if he doesn't get any play in this.

I knew Suge was a goon but I didn't know he had pitbulls up in the studio. That man is evil incarnate. He destroyed Pac and he would've destroyed Dre and Snoop had they stuck around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom