• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Hyun Sai

Ucchedavāda;239273001 said:
I'm a bit busy playing, so I'll have to be brief:
That is simply wrong.

SFV on launch had character stories (lol) and survival. That was it for SP content.

Yeah, people got a fuzzy memory on that one. And I couldn't even play ranked or lobbies for nearly one month.

At least here I can play even if the lobby system was designed by a stupid moron who never played any fighting game online in his life.

Nothing worse than rollback online where you're hit-confirming on your side, but your opponent is actually free and supers you. ;_;

I'm talking you actually connect and you hear the strike, but they didn't get hit on their side and you get mega punished.

I don't remember having problems getting in on ranked the first month but I don't remember. SF will always be the FGC joke as a mass of them continue to play the game they supposedly hate.

Producer

Its been a while so people probably forgot how bad sfv was when it came out.

From the OP

Direct Input controller support
Background Music Select
Updated Rage Quit System > Anytime a player disconnects during a match, their League Points will be deducted as if it was a loss.
VS. CPU
7 extra playable characters
A free cinematic story mode
Free Chun-Li and Ryu Story costumes
Survival no longer quits on disconnect, and will prompt relog in on completion for FM.
Challenge mode:
Demonstrations
Combo Trials
Daily (weekly) Targets for 100-5000 FM
Stage transitions for all default stages
Improved matchmaking for matching with similar skill
Online rematch, 2 out of 3
8 Player lobbies
8f is now 6.5f

When SFV launched it had none of this. Havent played tekken 7 but it cant be as bad as that.

SFV also didn't wait two years to release a game. Which they damn well should have, but Tekken had more time and still has a bunch of issues.

Really at this point I've just stopped giving a shit. I like the gameplay in both games so I'll deal with their issues. for Tekken I'll just practice and hit my locals. For SF I'll keep playing it and hope they add more content.

Moaradin

Tekken 7 console launch isn't much better. It's even worse when you consider that the game has technically been out for 2 years in arcades.

Though like SFV, the core game is pretty fun and I'm having a good time just playing online with friends. Though somehow the lobbies are worst than SFVs lol.

mbpm1

I remember grinding out matches against hardest cpu BC there was no way to go online at all. If you set it to limited health it was almost like you were playing.

Good times

It's laughable that Dead or Alive 5 has a better tutorial explaining literally every aspect of the game and a better training mode than both (with frame data!)

The only thing they tripped up on was the dookie tier netcode which is still trash after two retail updates and a F2P release.

I was also fond of Chun ( chicken ) Pheonix li

my favs

Cool costumes get me to play characters, it kind of upsets me that the costume packs are so limited in V with who they are for.

I would main that,

But if she's a girl in mecha gorilla she's going to NEED this outfit
I completely forgot these existed 🤔....I do remember liking balrog a lot. Everyone in SFIV was so ugly so I couldn't really appreciate them at the time.

I'll be honest, I'm enjoying GGRev2 and Tekken 7 a lot, but what they've absolutely proven to me without a doubt is that the FGC has a personal vendetta against Capcom/SF. T7 is just about as barebones as SFV was from a single player perspective, and is missing a TON of QOL features that should have been there from the start. Lobbies are terrible and matchmaking/online is also apparently broken on PS4, yet we don't see nearly as much vitriol as we did with SFV. Overall, these games have kinda made me appreciate SFV more, as weird as that sounds.

Now if only we could get the balancing right...

It has terrible input reading AI, character stories that are literally 1 fight, and not even for every character, no vs cpu, no replays, no rematching/sets in lobbies, higher input lag than previous tekkens (and sf5), long load times, host can sabotage tournaments by leaving, no rage quit penalties (afaik), no tutorial, no trials, characters locked behind real money.

But at least it has arcade mode and customisations!

myco666

I've been thinking about the FM rewards after ranked and casuals. That should have multipliers depending on how well you did during the fight etc. Have the 50FM be the base and from there give higher multiplier from stuff like not losing a round, finishing with a perfect/ex/ca or what have you.

Also goddamn Capcom give us interesting dailies. Shit is already in rotation and there isn't anything that asks you to experiment with other characters outside of the crossup one.

It has terrible input reading AI, character stories that are literally 1 fight, and not even for every character, no vs cpu, no replays, no rematching/sets in lobbies, higher input lag than previous tekkens (and sf5), long load times, host can sabotage tournaments by leaving, no rage quit penalties (afaik), no tutorial, no trials, characters locked behind real money.

No replays? What year is it?

Yep, impressive how it still feels on even footing or better with all that.

VuUMAux.gif

Pompadour

I don't remember having problems getting in on ranked the first month but I don't remember. SF will always be the FGC joke as a mass of them continue to play the game they supposedly hate.

The online for SFV was smoothed out in about a day to where you could get matches. Tekken 7 on PS4 is still completely broken after 3 full days (almost 4). SFV had way less content though but it also didn't have Tekken's development time of like 3-4 years (as it's been in arcades for at least 2). But it's hard to tell when each game began development and what that means (i.e. how long were they just in the planning stage).

Edzi

Even the customizations are pretty terrible tbh.

When SFV launched it had none of this. Havent played tekken 7 but it cant be as bad as that.

I don't know if I'd say it's as bad, but it's certainly around the same level of barebones/broken as far as I'm concerned.

I'll be honest, I'm enjoying GGRev2 and Tekken 7 a lot, but what they've absolutely proven to me without a doubt is that the FGC has a personal vendetta against Capcom/SF. T7 is just about as barebones as SFV was from a single player perspective, and is missing a TON of QOL features that should have been there from the start. Lobbies are terrible and matchmaking/online is also apparently broken on PS4, yet we don't see nearly as much vitriol as we did with SFV. Overall, these games have kinda made me appreciate SFV more, as weird as that sounds.

Sorry, your post also deserves a full reply.
I do agree that SFV has become the whipping boy of the FGC, above and beyond the actual state of the current game. I don't know if the game can actually shake that reputation, but I do hope that Capcom keeps on improving on the game. Despite of my criticisms of the game, I still greatly enjoy the core gameplay.

But for reasons stated previously,I disagree with regards to single player in Tekken 7. I think the SP content is a big part of the reason why people are more lenient towards the game. That and the fact that you don't get kicked out of SP content due to the online issues, as was the case with SFV at launch. I do miss a trial mode, though.

That said, I agree that the online functionality in Tekken 7 is kinda whack, PS4 issues or not, which is made worse by the load times exceeding even SFV. It is, however, nice with proper Steam integration. The tournament mode also looks like a (potential) great addition, if the host quitting issue can be fixed.

Doesnt SFV do the same thing? It rewards you for playing various modes and encourages you to try different characters. Because you can get more Fight money by levelling up 10 characters to Level 20 than taking 1 character to level 100.

That's true.
The difference is that HotS has quests like "Play 3 matches as support" for a reward, vs SFV where you have to win increasing numbers of matches to level up a character. And you are increasingly forced to play characters that you don't care about. Not to mention that HotS also rewards leveling up individual characters.

mbpm1

Being real we really have to congratulate capcom.

It shit the bed so hard and repetitively that games with notable flaws like tekken can flourish and even advertize as being not sfv

Yeah, it does. Better training mode, more characters, and better gameplay helps a lot for me.

The online is surely lacking though. KI still the goat

How is training mode better? You can't even set the cpu to perform actions on block, now I have to search the web for data if I want to know if something is safe or not.
Other than that there isn't really a difference between either training modes at all.

More characters is ehh, I might up playing 5 characters in the roster; people acting like they are gonna main 30 different characters, you aren't, stop lying.

Better gameplay is, well, subjective.

The online for SFV was smoothed out in about a day to where you could get matches. Tekken 7 on PS4 is still completely broken after 3 full days (almost 4). SFV had way less content though but it also didn't have Tekken's development time of like 3-4 years (as it's been in arcades for at least 2). But it's hard to tell when each game began development and what that means (i.e. how long were they just in the planning stage).

That's true about development times. I do think it's funny though how nice people are to NB on Twitter after waiting days to tell them a patch is coming. Sfv truly saved other fighting games from getting melted.

Pompadour

That's true about development times. I do think it's funny though how nice people are to NB on Twitter after waiting days to tell them a patch is coming. Sfv truly saved other fighting games from getting melted.

How can we be sure Tekken 7's problems aren't Capcom's fault? Akuma is in the game, after all.

I'm going to start tweeting SFV Server about Tekken's PS4 online bullshit.

Its been a while so people probably forgot how bad sfv was when it came out.

From the OP

Direct Input controller support
Background Music Select
Updated Rage Quit System > Anytime a player disconnects during a match, their League Points will be deducted as if it was a loss.
VS. CPU
7 extra playable characters
A free cinematic story mode
Free Chun-Li and Ryu Story costumes
Survival no longer quits on disconnect, and will prompt relog in on completion for FM.
Challenge mode:
Demonstrations
Combo Trials
Daily (weekly) Targets for 100-5000 FM
Stage transitions for all default stages
Improved matchmaking for matching with similar skill
Online rematch, 2 out of 3
8 Player lobbies
8f is now 6.5f

Some of these features should have been there day ONE, features that existed in SF4. they rushed SFV to the market for eSports contract with ESPN, all they saw was money and exposure for their game/company, forgetting the most basic features..I loved how they said 8frames was a designed feature yet they lowered it,

jett

D-Member
SF4 has visually aged like a brick.

I remember being so impressed with the original SF4, especially the animation HAH.

Ucchedavāda;239264928 said:
That aspect is worth commending.
As is the fact that you can unlock most new stages with FM.

But overall the fight money system is poorly thought out. The vast majority of FM is locked away in single-player modes, or easiest to obtain by yourself (the 5k weekly quests), which means that it fails to motivate engagement with the main component of the game.

Compare SFV's fight money system with, for example, Heroes of the Storm. HoTS rewards you for playing the main modes, for playing with other people, encourages you to try different characters and modes via daily quests, and also allows you to purchase in-game characters with fight money.

And the range of items unlockable via fight money in SFV is rather lacklustre. Other than the stages and characters, there is one costume to unlock per characters (story mode), and after that you have colors, titles, and profile decorations. In that regard both IJ2 and T7 greatly outclass SFV.

Yep.

FACE

Banned

I dunno anything about Tekken, but how the hell does playing GG makes you appreciate SF5's feature set more? The only major complaint about GG online is that ranked doesn't work(outside of Japan).

Maybe just detecting if there's an ethernet cord plugged in or the system is connected via wifi?

There's no way to detect this, the client has to supply this information by itself, that's why perhaps the game is asking the system to now also supply the connection type when it boots up.

myco666

Yeah don't think that getting that info is hard on consoles. Wouldn't mind getting that info before a match and see if it actually matters or not.

MrCarter

SFV also didn't wait two years to release a game. Which they damn well should have, but Tekken had more time and still has a bunch of issues.

That's the zinger, right there. SFV was clearly a rushed product which needed more time but Tekken 7 had more than 3 years to polish up the game and it's still lacking. The game was announced in 2014 for goodness sake.

Neoxon

For those who care, I took the time to compile the SFV art made by Artgerm (who some of you may remember for his Third Strike: Online Edition art) since he was contracted by Capcom. For reference, he did SFV Ryu & Ken on his own accord before Capcom brought him on.

Artgerm is currently working on SFV Vega, in case you're curious.

For those who care, I took the time to compile the SFV art made by Artgerm (who some of you may remember for his Third Strike: Online Edition art) since he was contracted by Capcom. For reference, he did SFV Ryu & Ken on his own accord before Capcom brought him on.

Those are real nice.

Tell him to rush through Vega and stop wasting his time so he can get on Nash.

nded

Ucchedavāda;239226117 said:
Capcom has put up Superhero themed Alternate Costume Ideas on CFN.
This one is so terrible that it is great:

If Capcom were cool they would cobble together a Tekken Force-esque side scrolling beat-em-up using these costumes and call it Final Fight 2010, but we all know Capcom ain't cool.

Scotia

Banned

These are fantastic. Thanks for sharing, Neoxon.

It's funny how everyone is missing obvious colours, like cammy's green, but ryu's design is so simple he straight up looks complete anyway.

I thought Wolfkrone dropped this game because Laura was bad now? I just found him in ranked playing Laura. Maybe she is bad, I managed to take a match off him.

FluxWaveZ

I thought Wolfkrone dropped this game because Laura was bad now? I just found him in ranked playing Laura. Maybe she is bad, I managed to take a match off him.

She is neither bad, nor has he abandoned the game. It was a shitpost in tweet form, meanwhile he's been playing SFV as per usual, ever since the patch dropped.

He also doesn't play the same online as he will at local tournaments. Sometimes I look at NuckleDu Mika replays online and he plays like shit.

MCD250

A lot of pros play in a more 'relaxed'/shoot the shit type of way online, especially if they stream. Kbrad for instance does a lot of nutty type shit when playing online just for the hell of it or to entertain people who might be watching, especially when he isn't playing his main.

Top Bottom