• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Village

As long as we get the pose back.

tumblr_nter9z2ypg1qj5jqso1_500.gif

Bring back this outfit

Their inability to give her pants becomes a (bigger) problem when you look at all the costumes that are ruined by her lack of pants. That military getup would have been great... if they didn't feel like putting a pair of pants on Cammy was an affront to God.

I am so sad that her battle outfit one doesn't have pants.

She would look like fucking kim possible. That would be the dopest shit.

MCD250

I'd thought I'd use my first post on GAF to say hi to everyone on this thread. I've been lurking this thread for the last couple of months while I waited for account activation. I've been playing SFV since last October; its my first fighting game I've played since MvC2 & Guilty Gear X with dorm neighbors at college in '02-'03.

CFN is Teh_Lurv, I'm currently Silver rank maining Chun Li, while poking around with Gief. I've mostly been sticking to casual/BL until I feel confident I can climb up the next level in ranked. If anyone sees me online, feel free to shoot me an invite to BL.
Welcome!

the only explanation for cammy not having pants I can think of is that, as almost all her special moves use her legs for kicking/drilling they may want to emphasise that part of her character by leaving them exposed, so they stand out. minimal/tight clothing also give the impression that she's fast/athletic whereas bulky clothing might not read as well

tbh tho i don't know why they don't at least give her like skin tight leggings/pants if they're so set on showing off her legs.... because her leotard is seeming more out of character as time goes on.
I actually think Cammy's outfit makes a lot of sense conceptually. My impression of her character's high concept is that she is essentially meant to be a "military gymnast", and her design has several visual callbacks to that idea (leotard, military beret, camo prints, etc.). It makes sense because it evokes both her fast, agile fighting style and her background as a soldier. It's sort of like how Ibuki's whole concept is that she is a ninja high schooler, and in SFV she literally wears a high school uniform with ninja gear laid on top. Like yeah, maybe it doesn't make a lot of "real world" sense that a ninja trainee would just wear her gear over her school uniform, but it's a good and quick visual encapsulation of what the character is meant to be about.

With Cammy though, it's the little details that make the thing start to feel kinda stupid. Like the fact that the "gymnastic" leotard that she wears leaves the entirety of her considerable ass hanging out for the world to see, or the way that it rides up her crotch in the front (seriously, that shit looks mad uncomfortable). Like someone else said, those design choices kinda betray the intentions behind the design and undermine both her character and the whole idea of expressing a character's background with a visual design. And Capcom is now so fixated in exposing and sexualizing Cammy in this way that it's started to bleed into her other costumes, making them look stupid too. Like someone said, Cammy's military dress costume is pretty damn cool, or it would be if it didn't look like she literally forgot to put on the pants that go with the uniform that morning. But Cammy can't not have her butt hanging out, apparently, so them's the breaks.

It's just kinda dumb.

Kashiwaba

I'd thought I'd use my first post on GAF to say hi to everyone on this thread. I've been lurking this thread for the last couple of months while I waited for account activation. I've been playing SFV since last October; its my first fighting game I've played since MvC2 & Guilty Gear X with dorm neighbors at college in '02-'03.

CFN is Teh_Lurv, I'm currently Silver rank maining Chun Li, while poking around with Gief. I've mostly been sticking to casual/BL until I feel confident I can climb up the next level in ranked. If anyone sees me online, feel free to shoot me an invite to BL.
Welcome!

Village

Remember, you're here forever.

It isn't "odd", it just looks bad. At least Sim's stretchiness and Urien's thong are nods to something specific (historical and cultural, even). Also, while Chunli's bracers are silly, Capcom is at least willing to give her alts without them (and they aren't as dominant a feature). Blanka is just a terrible character.

Their inability to give her pants becomes a (bigger) problem when you look at all the costumes that are ruined by her lack of pants. That military getup would have been great... if they didn't feel like putting a pair of pants on Cammy was an affront to God.
The Splinter Cell outfit did look tight when someone modded the camo pants on her.

As for her regular outfit though, it's just a leotard style suit. Sonya Blade had one in MK and real people wear them all the time in sports, ballerinas, gymnasts, swimmers.

Her hat is what kills me. I always thought her hat looked stupid. Nash wears glasses while fighting and it looks incredibly dumb with his battle costume. A ninja with bifocal style glasses...

MCD250

I was gonna say maybe Charlie's one of those weirdos who wear glasses that don't actually have glasses in them but then I realized that only makes it worse.

Spman2099

Welcome. I hope you enjoy your GAF experience.

I was gonna say maybe Charlie's one of those weirdos who wear glasses that don't actually have glasses in them but then I realized that only makes it worse.

Charlie actually has perfect vision. He just likes wearing glasses. Straight from the canon guide.

mbpm1

As long as we get the pose back.

tumblr_nter9z2ypg1qj5jqso1_500.gif

I like how she had a weird neutral jump animation where her arm was flapping around for no reason

Charlie actually has perfect vision. He just likes wearing glasses. Straight from the canon guide.

guile is actually nearsighted, those sunglasses double as glasses

when he takes his glasses off he's handicapping himself via double vision to give the opponent a chance

joe2187

Banned
I've never understood Cammy and Decapre's gauntlets.

They have like a little lid attached to the elbow and It seems like she can close them when she removes them. They're also very bulky when it comes to using your forearms so their only real purpose is for style i guess?

Hello Gaf.

I've been trying really hard to get better at this game. I'm still really new to it. I still can't seem to get the hang of doing charge attacms so I decided to give the new character Ed a try, instead of Urien and Balrog, who've I've attempted to play over the past few months.

However the matter how many matches I play against people I don't seem to be able to learn what I'm doing wrong at all .
I keep blocking but I still get hit by each attack. I tried attacking but a grab cancels my attack. Whatever I get knocked down when my character wakes up there's nothing I seem to be able to do to stop them from instantly getting me again so I don't get to interact .

I've tried to find tutorials on how to play the game since the game itself does a terrible job at explaining this stuff.
Whenever I find videos it explains really basic controls, fundamentals (like what is anti air, etc), but never "when playing as this character if you get knocked down use of these options", like I might find for other games.

Can you folks lend someone who's both new to this and trying really hard a hand? I'm just so frustrated from trying to learn just by playing, and it's sad the game can't give me feedback on what I mess up on.

Also if anyone wants to play friendlies and critique me, I'm usually on after 11pm est and in the mornings before 10:30am est.

My PSN ID is MrDaBucket and so is my Capcom id thing.

I feel compelled to defend Cammys outfit.
If Capcom gave her pants she'd lose a lot of her sex appeal, and probably many of her fans too. I dont care very much about story or personality etc. I just want a character that looks good. Capcom did a great job with that on Cammy in SFV. She looks so much better than she did in IV.
As a straight guy, I find thong-Urien to be an absolute eye sore, but having sexy girls like Cammy in the game, makes that unpleasent stuff easier to ignore.

If Capcom gave her pants she'd lose a lot of her sex appeal, and probably many of her fans too. I dont care very much about story or personality etc. I just want a character that looks good. Capcom did a great job with that on Cammy in SFV. She looks so much better than she did in IV.
As a straight guy, I find thong-Urien to be an absolute eye sore, but having sexy girls like Cammy in the game, makes that unpleasent stuff easier to ignore.
There's nothing unpleasant about Urien's thong. You want to defend a sexy female character by saying they assuage your revulsion towards the male form? That's ridiculous.

I can look at a women in a bikini without screaming about cooties and running for the hills. And when it comes to the balance of fanservice between male and female characters, gaming is literally packed with sexualized females, so you're hardly suffering.

Nothing wrong with a few alternatives having pants though. Wouldn't hurt her one bit.

Ucchedavāda;239472349 said:
Speaking of alts, Capcom put up concept art for Ed and his alts on CFN.
His non-buff versions look kinda adorable:
Whew, dodged a bullet on that second one.

Also, buff is best IMO.

Village

Non buff is cute it a scrappy kid kinda way. Although I don't hate how he turned out.

I'mma need that outfit that got rejected to turn into something

Homie got the ghost face bird

e2wswEF.jpg

Give him and/or Rog an an alt of Ya boy ghostface killa the iron man

myco666

Hello Gaf.

I've been trying really hard to get better at this game. I'm still really new to it. I still can't seem to get the hang of doing charge attacms so I decided to give the new character Ed a try, instead of Urien and Balrog, who've I've attempted to play over the past few months.

However the matter how many matches I play against people I don't seem to be able to learn what I'm doing wrong at all .
I keep blocking but I still get hit by each attack. I tried attacking but a grab cancels my attack. Whatever I get knocked down when my character wakes up there's nothing I seem to be able to do to stop them from instantly getting me again so I don't get to interact .

I've tried to find tutorials on how to play the game since the game itself does a terrible job at explaining this stuff.
Whenever I find videos it explains really basic controls, fundamentals (like what is anti air, etc), but never "when playing as this character if you get knocked down use of these options", like I might find for other games.

Can you folks lend someone who's both new to this and trying really hard a hand? I'm just so frustrated from trying to learn just by playing, and it's sad the game can't give me feedback on what I mess up on.

Also if anyone wants to play friendlies and critique me, I'm usually on after 11pm est and in the mornings before 10:30am est.

My PSN ID is MrDaBucket and so is my Capcom id thing.

Watched few replays of your Ed. Biggest problem I see is that you are randomly throwing out lot of special moves that are very unsafe on block. For example that two kicks special is highly punishable and should be only used as a AA or in a combo. Another thing is that you don't do the follow up for that move when it does connect. If you press punch after it connects it does a follow up move and bit more damage. Not a major thing but more damage is always nice.

For the what to do on wakeup you should use three punches since it is totally invincible. You can also just press buttons but that always has more risk. Definitely don't try to do the other specials unless you see them jumping and you could maybe use the two kicks.

As for getting hit even if you keep blocking, well obviously you weren't blocking or you used a move that was still in recovery state when you opponents hits you so you couldn't block.

Then there is the combos but that can be a long hard road if this your first time trying to get into fighting games. That is just purely grinding in training for them and then just trying to build the confidence to do them in a actual match.

MCD250

Ucchedavāda;239471213 said:
Cammy does actually have a couple of alts with pants, it's just that ... well, judge for yourself:
Her fourth alt from USFIV also has pants (well, they're more like leggings). It's a good outfit even though it makes her look like she stepped out of 1988 (wich I expect was probably the point). I wouldn't mind seeing something like that in V.

Though the Final Fight mod is really the best tbh.

What's with the weird looking icon next to the character names? Looks like a ribbon or a trophy

It's the "I don't rage-quit" icon, which you earn after playing a few matches.
You get a reaper icon if you rage-quit.

EDIT: You are supposed to mainly be matched up with people with the same icon.
And you can see the icon of your opponent if you set match-making to 'ask'.

Zerojul

Finally managed to complete every single vol 2 trial, Karin's were a total nightmare for me and I won't ever do them again.
I hope we get a vol 3 somewhere down the line, they were awesome

MrCarter

In the past week alone SFV has sold another 23K copies on Steam going from 272K to 295K overall. Might be at 300K very soon.

In the past week alone SFV has sold another 23K copies on Steam going from 272K to 295K overall. Might be at 300K very soon.

Remember that there is a huge margin of error on the SteamSpy estimates, +/- 16,771 owners for the most recent estimate for SFV. So the apparent change in owners could be explained entirely by that. But that also means that the actual number of owners could already be exceeding 300k.

Blueblur1

On yesterday's show the Best of V guys were saying that the CFN update and balance patch made no difference for them. But maybe for outside players looking in it has?

Mr. X

He wears glasses for show. Air Force are required to have perfect vision without glasses/contacts.

If they're fashion specs, why did he buy such an ugly pair?

Or were those glasses fashionable in 199X whenever this game takes place canonically?

Those are some good glasses man.

Dude got shot by a helicopter which pushed him down a big ass waterfall into a lake, and those things still stayed on his face.

If that ain't quality I dont know what is.

BlitzKeeg

You don't need perfect vision for the air force, that's a myth.

Yeah a friend of mine is in the air force and he wears glasses.

I feel like the perfect vision thing may only be for flying planes, but I'm probably wrong.

That being said those are some high quality "Made in the US of A" glasses.

Zackat

your double standards for thirst are some shit

I believed in you Hoya.

Was there a sale or something?

Maybe Tekken players wanted to play a fighting game online so they picked this up kappa

I do think people have a tendency to buy fighting games more when a new one comes out. I feel like it reinvigorates their love of the genre so maybe they picked up Tekken and SFV? I know a few of my friends did.

Ohnonono

Played a good bit of Juri last night and felt pretty good with her. Once she gets some momentum she can do some shit. Sometimes I get kinda bogged down though. Did much better than I thought I would.

Skilletor

This is a pretty pathetic post. "As a straight guy..." fuck outta here with that bullshit.

Scotia

Banned

Ok+hold+up+you+nig+nogs+he+might+be+laying+some+_e18256b9b723a0320f8aa2d03427fd98.png

Top Bottom