• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Teh Lurv

Heh, I was just about to fire up SFV to complete that "Play a ranked match" mission. I think I'll wait til Ricki's past Super-Silver. Last thing I need is the possibility of getting my ass kicked to a live audience. :)

But yeah, I can't stop watching that stream. Seeing pro-player vs bronze YOLO is something. I was rooting for a random super-bronze Ryu who almost took a round from her by just playing so randomly.

MrCarter

MoMo's Ed.

MildShoddyClumber.gif

FluxWaveZ

Man, thought I was over this, but I had one of those days where it was just loss after loss again. Hate how this happens to me sometimes. The frustrating part is that I never really understand why it's happening, and I try to play like I usually do and try to get a momentum going, but it all just collapses repeatedly.

I wish I could be playing that DBZ fighter right now.

Edzi

Man, thought I was over this, but I had one of those days where it was just loss after loss again. Hate how this happens to me sometimes. The frustrating part is that I never really understand why it's happening, and I try to play like I usually do and try to get a momentum going, but it all just collapses repeatedly.

I wish I could be playing that DBZ fighter right now.

I think it's just the nature of sfv, on top of it being a normal part of fighters. The game is a bit too volatile.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Yeah that one. Sucks that the connection didn't agree with them. Confirming off lights ain't easy and I can't do it but its not like you really need it with Birdie.

Gotta say that your Ken is real aggressive. Barely could keep up.

When I lose to Birdies it's because they manage to completely shut out my approaches, so my gameplan was to be aggressive if I managed to get close. I'm sure if the connection wasn't just a touch off, it would have been easier for you to react to my nonsense. Also Birdie's lp and lk are great for interrupting Ken's fake blockstrings, and you managed to stuff my run cancels almost every time.

Edzi once told me my Ken was surprisingly lame, so I'm glad I was able to develop my style in a more Ken-appropriate direction.

I've been putting more of my time into Tekken 7 lately because hey, first legit 3D fighter on Steam and it's been the buzz around my circle so I'd like to give it support. At my level at least I'm finding a lot of broad strokes similarities to SFV in that execution-wise aside from like the Mishima stuff and the arbitrariness of Korean backdashes, it's pretty easy on that front. It's incredibly common to just have life get melted off with 40%+ damage combos as well, and the game has a very offense-oriented style to it along with being shimmy-heavy in terms of making your openings.

So I'm interested if anyone's uhh, left SFV behind for it and enjoying it despite it having some major common elements that have had significant criticisms in this.

Edzi

I've been putting more of my time into Tekken 7 lately because hey, first legit 3D fighter on Steam and it's been the buzz around my circle so I'd like to give it support. At my level at least I'm finding a lot of broad strokes similarities to SFV in that execution-wise aside from like the Mishima stuff and the arbitrariness of Korean backdashes, it's pretty easy on that front. It's incredibly common to just have life get melted off with 40%+ damage combos as well, and the game has a very offense-oriented style to it along with being shimmy-heavy in terms of making your openings.

So I'm interested if anyone's uhh, left SFV behind for it and enjoying it despite it having some major common elements that have had significant criticisms in this.

Tekken can't scratch the 2d Capcom fighter itch.

In Tekken's defense, movement is defense (among other defensive options), so at least you feel a little more at ease getting rushed down because you know you weren't in the right positions or you were just open to shit.

But on the flipside, since it is a legacy game, there's a gap between those who've been playing for years and those who haven't. Mastering movement is going to be such a big thing that it might turn off people once they hit the intermediate stage. Which is why I love Aris for teaching people that shit now.

Actually, thinking about it, a lot of games today are super explosive. Gundam is crazy explosive even with defensive options. Really curious to see how people take to that game. I wonder if it's a sign of the times or something. I don't know.

mbpm1

I'm one of them.

Honestly it's not even close to me. The neutral and combat interactions feel streets ahead, so offense can be defeated via smart decision making that develops beyond just "push your cc button or your 3frame".
Defensive options on wake up if you even decide to wake up mean you are never really out of it unless you are walled, and even then there are options beyond tech or die.

Honestly it's not even close to me. The neutral and combat interactions feel streets ahead, so offense can be defeated via smart decision making that develops beyond just "push your cc button or your 3frame".

No matter how smart you are, when the hop kick comes, the hop kick will come.

There's a reason Tekken standard now is 3/5 rounds. It wasn't like that in the 90's:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSQ3isRcL_0

(BTW yes, that's Ryan Hart)

3/5 developed over time, because damage/offense are very strong in Tekken...especially with Rage. (I'm surprised Rage doesn't create more of an uproar in the FGC, in a world where "comeback mechanics" are treated like the devil. Rage is a pure, unabashed comeback mechanic. But, it's not a Capcom game, tho...so, no harm, no foul.)

If offense were so easy to defeat with solid defense, Tekken would still be 2/3 rounds.

mbpm1

No matter how smart you are, when the hop kick comes, the hop kick will come.

There's a reason Tekken standard now is 3/5 rounds. It wasn't like that in the 90's:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSQ3isRcL_0

(BTW yes, that's Ryan Hart)

3/5 developed over time, because damage/offense are very strong in Tekken...especially with Rage. (I'm surprised Rage doesn't create more of an uproar in the FGC, in a world where "comeback mechanics" are treated like the devil. Rage is a pure, unabashed comeback mechanic. But, it's not a Capcom game, tho...so, no harm, no foul.)

If offense were so easy to defeat with solid defense, Tekken would still be 2/3 rounds.
Sure, but damage was not an issue for me. Neither, in fact, was volatility. Nor comeback mechanics. What I feel for most is options and diversity in neutral. I can roll with things otherwise.

I mean I came into the scene with sfiv and that game was nuts with ultras, quesadilla bombs, and dive kicks.

Guys, I try to spare this community from my most noobish inquiries, but how do I do Balrogs vol 2 trial 1? I can't even get the right m punch to come out
Edut: figured it out. Devious bullshit. A 'different' uncancelable m punch comes out if you combo too fast.

Thanks to the advice I've gotten in this thread, I've seen my game improve over the past week or two.

I also bought a better fightpad (HRAP4).
My only issue is I keep accidentally pressing buttons since even the lightest graze seems to set them off. Anyone else have these issues or know anything I could do to get better at not accidentally grazing them? (Weird question, I know.)

Also, I've been playing Balrog, finally got charging down, and it's been a lot of fun. Still don't fully understand his V trigger yet.

Kashiwaba

Ucchedavāda;240232149 said:
Yes.
The main story ends with Heihachi's heart stopping after he takes a strike to the chest and him subsequently being thrown off a cliff into a pool of lava by Kazuya.

I will never believe it
this guy was blown few times yet he survives, he will probably come back as a cyborg​ in tekken 8 lol

myco666

When I lose to Birdies it's because they manage to completely shut out my approaches, so my gameplan was to be aggressive if I managed to get close. I'm sure if the connection wasn't just a touch off, it would have been easier for you to react to my nonsense. Also Birdie's lp and lk are great for interrupting Ken's fake blockstrings, and you managed to stuff my run cancels almost every time.

Edzi once told me my Ken was surprisingly lame, so I'm glad I was able to develop my style in a more Ken-appropriate direction.

It isn't the connection lol. I just struggle against Ken a lot. Especially if they are more aggressive. Your Ken definitely is a Ken but atleast you didn't do whiffed lk.tatsu into srk. That shit puts me on tilt instantly.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
So I kind of missed the S2.5 memo... Started up the game last night and was pleasantly surprised with all the new stuff.

Can I get some help? I'm itching for a new character - nothing serious, just someone flashy to try and show off with in battle lounge - and kinda torn between Alex and Akuma.

I've been through their trials, and while Akuma relies on a little more execution/muscle memory, both characters have good hype potential. What are SF GAF's thoughts?

Also, dat DBZ Fighters trailer...*phew.jpg*

Thanks to the advice I've gotten in this thread, I've seen my game improve over the past week or two.

I also bought a better fightpad (HRAP4).
My only issue is I keep accidentally pressing buttons since even the lightest graze seems to set them off. Anyone else have these issues or know anything I could do to get better at not accidentally grazing them? (Weird question, I know.)

Also, I've been playing Balrog, finally got charging down, and it's been a lot of fun. Still don't fully understand his V trigger yet.

I'm actually considering making a serious attempt at him as my second.
Any advice?

Can I get some help? I'm itching for a new character - nothing serious, just someone flashy to try and show off with in battle lounge - and kinda torn between Alex and Akuma.

I've been through their trials, and while Akuma relies on a little more execution/muscle memory, both characters have good hype potential. What are SF GAF's thoughts?*
Balrog

So I kind of missed the S2.5 memo... Started up the game last night and was pleasantly surprised with all the new stuff.

I've been through their trials, and while Akuma relies on a little more execution/muscle memory, both characters have good hype potential. What are SF GAF's thoughts?

Also, dat DBZ Fighters trailer...*phew.jpg*
Akuma is great you just can't mess up as much
Alex is a struggle

Guys, I try to spare this community from my most noobish inquiries, but how do I do Balrogs vol 2 trial 1? I can't even get the right m punch to come out
Edut: figured it out. Devious bullshit. A 'different' uncancelable m punch comes out if you combo too fast.

It's one of his target combos, similar to Ryu's stMP > stHP > stHK, and so on.
You have to enter the input for these as quickly as if you were cancelling into a special, so much quicker than if it was a link.

IIRC, several trials use these, so if in doubt then take a look at the character's move-list, for example on Streetfighter.com

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Akuma is great you just can't mess up as much
Alex is a struggle

Damn is Alex still suffering that bad? I watched Kenny Omega play him on CC recently and while I have little sympathy for that dude and his excuses, I feel like there's something there with Alex...

Ed? Kid seems ridiculously easy to use.

Ed looks cool, but I'm not in love, and I'd rather save my FM until we know the rest of this year's roster. (I already unlocked Alex and Akuma.)

Still so torn! Maybe I'll start with Maccy D's and then move onto Satsui no Hado if I'm not having fun.

Damn is Alex still suffering that bad? I watched Kenny Omega play him on CC recently and while I have little sympathy for that dude and his excuses, I feel like there's something there with Alex....
The only thing that there's for Alex is the gun he keeps at his bedside table when things get too tough. Things were looking mighty bleak by the end of season 2.

And considering Kenny Omega regularly does half of Alex's movelist in real life, he gets a pass for complaining in my book.

that DBZ game looks like the real MvC4, lol

perfect coup too. I don't think folks would be so excited if MvCI stuck with the MvC3 3v3 + assists template.

Tho we still dont know too much about MvC:I, I think its great that there are both styles of gameplay.

DBZ with the super fast paced Mahvel 2 & 3 action, and MvC:I with a slower pace similar to MvC: Clash of Superheroes and TvC

Top Bottom