• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

mbpm1

I mean...the Marvel brand has a fan or two out there...

Spooder man? Incredible Hunk? I've heard of those guys before
Eh, they can play the mmo or the mobile fighting game for those guys. Or the badass Open world Spider-Man game I hear is coming. Or the bejeweled alike.

I really would rather that Capcpom just make a proper Marvel-only fighting game instead of doing another Crossover.

Because that's the only way Valkyrie has a real shot at making it into a fighting game.

Pompadour

I really would rather that Capcom just make a proper Marvel-only fighting game instead of doing another Crossover.

Because that's the only way Valkyrie has a real shot at making it into a fighting game.

And I'd rather them just make Capcom Vs. Capcom because I only play the Capcom side anyway. That's the only way I'll get Gene into a fighting game.

Of course, it would sell even worse than SFV so that'll never happen.

DBZ has major appeal. I just want the game to last more than a month and it'll depend on how the gameplay is. If they do better than the 3DS games then it'll probably be hype, but there's still a few things that make it look different than a regular Marvel game.

In addition to the monthly reminders for Guile's crouch walk, I'm considering doing a weekly joke segment in this thread. Just testing it out.

Joke of the week: Ryu's v-skill
and the fact that it's in a counter hit state on recovery.

mbpm1

In addition to the monthly reminders for Guile's crouch walk, I'm considering doing a weekly joke segment in this thread. Just testing it out.

Joke of the week: Ryu

DBZ has major appeal. I just want the game to last more than a month and it'll depend on how the gameplay is. If they do better than the 3DS games then it'll probably be hype, but there's still a few things that make it look different than a regular Marvel game.
Could be arcsys breakout mainstream title. It looks good,and intros and such look good.

You guys are fast lol

I never said it'd kill Marvel or anything, but if the game has an sfv tier launch then having a direct competitor with the DBZ name on it is going to hurt.

It'll take some heat from them for sure, but I doubt the impact will be as massive or moving as people think it will. DBZ will shit around in its own field with people cross pollinating because it has "anime elements" and could never truly replace a Marvel game for them.

I honestly expect people to play it and stick with it at least somewhat, and more people are going to start calling for more Versus games in general. Marvel doesn't have to even have a monopoly on it, regardless of what happens with that game it'll still be the biggest, so why not have more options in general?

We are now in a landscape where people are going to actively start playing more than one game. Not to replace shit, but because there are so many options it's criminal to stick with one fighter.

Could be arcsys breakout mainstream title. It looks good,and intros and such look good.

It definitely could be, I just hope that translates to retention rather than a boost for one or two months of players. And, shit, that's good news for everyone - if people who like DBZ and don't like fighters enter the scene, they might hit up other games on the side too. Whatever grows this community is good.

And, shit, that's good news for everyone - if people who like DBZ and don't like fighters enter the scene, they might hit up other games on the side too. Whatever grows this community is good.
I've noticed a lot of "I don't play fighting games but I'm getting this day 1" and "I only play fighting games very casually but I might put time into this game!"posts.

Which is great. Whatever gets them playing FGs actively is a good thing in my book, whether it's Rising Thunder or an IP with a lot of great characters or SF.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Playing that Skies of Honor stage, it's such a fucking shame they don't release a "tournament viable" version of that stage. Just have them fight in the middle of this tennis court.Ask myco, even though I play FANG I do some pretty stupid and wild stuff too.

Difference it it works more frequently for me because you always expects Kens to be stupid play YOLO be morons be idiots not think be Coldplay fans watch WWE over NJPW do random stuff.
We should try to play some time even though it will probably not work well. I need practice against FANG and I'm pretty sure you said you love throw loops and fighting Ken. You'll win, so it might be cathartic.

Unless you uninstalled the game and threw your computer in the garbage can. I can't remember where you're at right now with this game.

joe2187

Banned
We got Jojos, and Dragon ball Z now...

we need some new.....80's 90's anime fighting games.

Where's my new Sailor Moon fighting game?

Where's my new Yu Yu Hakusho Tournament Edition fighting game?

Where's Ruroni Kenshin Last blade ripoff?

What about a Ranma 1/2 bloody roar style game?

What about Tenchi Mu.....no wait, fuck that show.

Where's my new Sailor Moon fighting game?

Where's my new Yu Yu Hakusho Tournament Edition fighting game?

Where's Ruroni Kenshin Last blade ripoff?

What about a Ranma 1/2 bloody roar style game?

That's my most wanted right now

We should try to play some time even though it will probably not work well. I need practice against FANG and I'm pretty sure you said you love throw loops and fighting Ken. You'll win, so it might be cathartic.

Unless you uninstalled the game and threw your computer in the garbage can. I can't remember where you're at right now with this game.
Our connection is just not gonna be playable. It wouldn't even be playable in a game like IJ2, we are talking >300ms ping. Sorry but it's probably gonna be a waste of time for the both of us :(

Where's my new Sailor Moon WEEB SHIT fighting game?

Where's my new WEEB SHIT Tournament Edition fighting game?

Where's WEEEEEEBBBB SSHIIIITT ripoff?

What about a WEEB SHIT bloody roar style game?

You draw the line at Tenchi Muweeb shit?

Bring back Primal Rage tbh.
I'll say it as many times as it needs to be said, bring back Bloody Roar.

lol, furry fighter. That series was hype.

YhmaAld.gif

BlitzKeeg

Speaking of counters, has anyone actually hit Geif's Tundra Storm properly?

It can only counter horizontal leg attacks and also has a CRUSH counter state on recovery, so all the times I've tried to use it I've gotten blown up.

Speaking of counters, has anyone actually hit Geif's Tundra Storm properly?

It can only counter horizontal leg attacks and also has a CRUSH counter state on recovery, so all the times I've tried to use it I've gotten blown up.

Goddamn it, you just spoiled next week's joke :(

I've noticed a lot of "I don't play fighting games but I'm getting this day 1" and "I only play fighting games very casually but I might put time into this game!"posts.

Which is great. Whatever gets them playing FGs actively is a good thing in my book, whether it's Rising Thunder or an IP with a lot of great characters or SF.

ASW games aren't known for being very casual friendly with all of the underlying systems though. Unless both people playing are at the same beginner level, one of them is gonna get destroyed.
I see the casual crowd dropping it after a month because they got bodied after going online using their cpu tactics.

BlitzKeeg

Goddamn it, you just spoiled next week's joke :(

Oh damn lol

My original post was going to end with "why did they put this in the game", but I'm still pretty new, so I could just be a whiner.

I've yet to Snake Eyez do it in a tournament so I'm going to guess it's hot garbage/incredibly impractical.

Skilletor

ASW games aren't known for being very casual friendly with all of the underlying systems though. Unless both people playing are at the same beginner level, one of them is gonna get destroyed.
I see the casual crowd dropping it after a month because they got bodied after going online using their cpu tactics.

ASW Games have stuff like MOM mode, story mode, arcade mode that continues the story after. Tons of tutorials, tons of trials, gallery, colors, and system voices to unlock.

Their other games have niche appeal, so all of this content doesn't translate to casuals, but that won't be the case with motherfucking Dragonball.

I mean, saying casuals are going to drop a fighter after a week isn't saying much. Just looking at the IJ2 thread and seeing guild activity drop off tells me that. More important to have a great first impression so that those casuals will come back for sequels.

The difficulty in ASW games is really overstated IMO. If people keep playing games like Marvel then they'll play this too. The only reason ASW games get such a bad rap for being complicated is because they throw all the systems at you at the same time.

If you just bought the game and played through the tutorial, this is probably gonna be happening to you when you first play a match against someone. But you'll probably feel similarly in a game like Marvel.

In the case of Guilty Gear, If one just focuses on learning the basics of the game and getting familiar with their character before moving on to stuff like roman cancels, then they'll be fine. Hell, you could play at a relatively high level without fully utilizing one third of the game's overall systems (IMO).

GG Xrd is just as fun at a low level as it is at a high level. Also helps that the game does have actual single player content beyond fighting the cast for 30 matches in a row in survival mode.
Me and my cousin played Bloody Roar 2 a lot back in the day. Long and that chick who turns into a Bat were my favorite characters.
Yup, my big brother always played as Jenny the Bat. I loved Shina the Leopard. Those wall combos

Oh damn lol

My original post was going to end with "why did they put this in the game", but I'm still pretty new, so I could just be a whiner.

I've yet to Snake Eyez do it in a tournament so I'm going to guess it's hot garbage/incredibly impractical.
Move S-U-C-K-S.

High risk for very little reward. And ironically, the matches where it's the biggest reward are the ones where it's the highest risk.

Edzi

ASW Games have stuff like MOM mode, story mode, arcade mode that continues the story after. Tons of tutorials, tons of trials, gallery, colors, and system voices to unlock.

Their other games have niche appeal, so all of this content doesn't translate to casuals, but that won't be the case with motherfucking Dragonball.

I mean, saying casuals are going to drop a fighter after a week isn't saying much. Just looking at the IJ2 thread and seeing guild activity drop off tells me that. More important to have a great first impression so that those casuals will come back for sequels.

They'd be stupid not to know that DBZ appeals to a lot more than just FGC heads, so I'm sure they'll have an easy input mode too.

Skilletor

They'd be stupid not to know that DBZ appeals to a lot more than just FGC heads, so I'm sure they'll have an easy input mode too.

Yeah, I just don't think that matters in keeping casuals interested. This isn't going to get casuals online. I don't know why people think that's the goal. It's going to get people who might not play a fighter to play a fighter, but they're not getting into fighters, they're getting into DBZ. Just like people who buy MvC:I aren't doing it because it's a fighter, but because it's Marvel.

We need casuals to buy the game so that people like us get long-term support.

Pompadour

We don't know how easy this game will be. Just from watching what gameplay footage we have it seems there's a homing dash like that one anime fighter. That'll be way easier than navigating the air like in a standard 2D fighter.

And as luce said the systems may be overwhelming but you don't need half of them 95% of time. The systems are there so there's a potential answer to whatever offensive bullshit your opponent puts you in.

joe2187

Banned
I remember playing a Strider Hiryu ripoff in Bloody Roar, not sure what his name was...but he turned into a stupid animal.....was pretty fun to play however.

BlitzKeeg

Move S-U-C-K-S.

High risk for very little reward. And ironically, the matches where it's the biggest reward are the ones where it's the highest risk.

I figured. Why would I ever take a chance on maybe catching a Karin or Chun poking with st.MK and getting crush countered for possibly huge damage, when I can throw out any other long range normal and trade at worst?

Why would Capcom think giving a footsie tool a crush counter state was a good idea? Am I playing the game wrong and should be DPing in the neutral?

This is actually really cool. I've always loved that stomp that makes shockwaves. I wish more fighters had it, it's so cool.
The series always had a lot of lovely little visual touches. Shen Long going yellow then red when he's done all the possible parts of his combo, meaning that he can cancel the last move directly into his Beast Drive.

And the only thing missing in that gif is the walls breaking and him being sent flying into the water below, because even after playing this game for over 16 years that shit is STILL exciting in actual matches.
Is Chun "good" again? (Her trials are really fun.)
Is Ryu back?
Should I pick up Fang?( he seems to be winning)
No, no and N-O.

F.A.N.G is one of those characters where you picked him up cause you liked him. At no point in the lifetime of this game will there ever come a time when someone is encouraged to pick F.A.N.G because of his position on the tier list. Though if you do actually like playing him then go for it. He's never been better (not that that's saying much but still)

Is Chun "good" again? (Her trials are really fun.)
Is Ryu back?
Should I pick up Fang?( he seems to be winning)
Too early for all of this, but she's not bad, definitely not top tier again though.

I don't know about Ryu, I think he's mid tier again. Best quote I've seen of him is "An honest character in an dishonest game" I think you would have to give him back some of his damage to make him even with top tier since he doesn't have that come back potential or crazy mix-up. I think he's solid though

FANG is fang man...Has better mix-up now, but I don't think Luce would say he's really moved up much. Probably a better version of him, still low tier.

I need a new character. Hopefully Menat gives me what ive been missing with Rose. Meanwhile Ive been digging Fang's style. I dont trust myself with an invincible reversal so he is a prime canidate. I will easily be the best Fang
in the world

Birdie's isnt crush counterable. Plus he technically just got one. It took six months for me to get my Birdie from garbage to i guess its ok.

I really want Abigail to be a gorilla.

JAXXX

The series always had a lot of lovely little visual touches. Shen Long going yellow then red when he's done all the possible parts of his combo, meaning that he can cancel the last move directly into his Beast Drive.

And the only thing missing in that gif is the walls breaking and him being sent flying into the water below, because even after playing this game for over 16 years that shit is STILL exciting in actual matches.
No, no and N-O.

F.A.N.G is one of those characters where you picked him up cause you liked him. At no point in the lifetime of this game will there ever come a time when someone is encouraged to pick F.A.N.G because of his position on the tier list. Though if you do actually like playing him then go for it. He's never been better (not that that's saying much but still)
LOL,
Someone can think of merely typing F.A.N... and you pop up. Like a ghost or Beetlejuice.
IT's ACTUALLY AMAZING
it always makes me LOL

Top Bottom