• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

mbpm1

I've realized I don't really have a playstyle I like in fighting games. Zoning, defensive, aggressive, etc. I just like being an ass. Hugo and Rolento just let me be a jerk the whole time and that's probably why I played them.

And that's probably why I pick characters that frustrate people like Rog, Urien, Necaili, and Birdie.
Sim frustrates people :thinking:

Sim frustrates people :thinking:

Sim takes a lot of work to get there, though. And there are certain characters I just don't like playing, so it's not a hard rule. Laura and Mika S1 are characters I didn't mess with much.

I think I have the most time logged in as Rog and Urien, and I've bounced around way more than I should.

I personally pick characters based on how well they play grounded and how well they can pressure. I like playing grounded characters that can never leave the ground and still be just as deadly as the character that holds up+forward (which is why I don't like this game). Solid range on normals is also very important to me.

FANG and Birdie in SFV, Orchid and RAAM in KI, Poison in USF4 all shared this trait of having long-reaching normals and a very stable and dangerous ground game.

If Ryu had more range on his limbs, I swear I'd play him. He's very fun and has all the properties I enjoy in a character but his range (or lack of it) just makes me want to vomit.

I've realized I don't really have a playstyle I like in fighting games. Zoning, defensive, aggressive, etc. I just like being an ass. Hugo and Rolento just let me be a jerk the whole time and that's probably why I played them.

And that's probably why I pick characters that frustrate people like Rog, Urien, Necaili, and Birdie.
You should play Shadow Jago in KI. He literally has a forward teleport dash like Bison's which can side switch, only he can cancel into whatever he wants. Overhead, low, throw, DP, neutral jump (to bait a throw), backdash (which has insane range and also has a teleport).

He's just a very annoying character to deal with.

If the teleport is punishable af but still usable as a way to get out of pressure, I don't see an issue with it. Not like Bison has an overhead anyway. But online? That shit is gonna be mad frustrating.

Decapre's is very punishable and wanted to see and buff. Heavy Break can actually be thrown on start up.

mbpm1

I personally pick characters based on how well they play grounded and how well they can pressure. I like playing grounded characters that can never leave the ground and still be just as deadly as the character that holds up+forward (which is why I don't like this game). Solid range on normals is also very important to me.

FANG and Birdie in SFV, Orchid and RAAM in KI, Poison in USF4 all shared this trait of having long-reaching normals and a very stable and dangerous ground game.

If Ryu had more range on his limbs, I swear I'd play him. He's very fun.
Uriel an d balrog

Decapre's is very punishable and wanted to see and buff. Heavy Break can actually be thrown on start up.

I'd be fine with her or Bison having a teleport so long as that's the case.

And it doesn't make his toolset too strong. AAing Bison now would be kind of an issue so long as it's super slow.

Uriel an d balrog

Long reaching normals | Balrog

Pick one.

Also Urien is a solid candidate but to be honest, he just feels too much like a mish-mash of different elements that forms a character rather than a character focused on one thing. I dunno, I tried him expecting him to fit me but he just never did.

mbpm1

Long reaching normals | Balrog

Pick one.

Also Urien is a solid candidate but to be honest, he just feels too much like a mish-mash of different elements that forms a character rather than a character focused on one thing. I dunno, I tried him expecting him to fit me but he just never did.
Rog has st hp

ElFly

latest

robert redford nodding dot gif, motherfucker

I feel like I hit a wall with Urien because I can't do anything fancy with his mirrors.

I need that stick. Things are getting rough out here. I'm losing points.

For me. I pick characters based almost purely on visual design and personality. The main reason I play Urien is because he's my favorite character in the series due to his appearance and personality. Not to say I don't have gameplay preferences though. For example, i'll always prefer motion to charge, but if my chosen character's gameplay isn't what I like, unless I absolutely despise it, I'll just suck it up and adapt.

FluxWaveZ

For me. I pick characters based almost purely on visual design and personality. The main reason I play Urien is because he's my favorite character in the series due to his appearance and personality. Not to say I don't have gameplay preferences though. For example, i'll always prefer motion to charge, but if my chosen character's gameplay isn't what I like, unless I absolutely despise it, I'll just suck it up and adapt.

That's pretty much always been my philosophy, as well.

Skilletor

M hierarchy:

Ninja

Character that looks cool to me

There's a huge overlap between ninja and character that looks cool to me. Pretty much 100%.

Unfortunately, they destroyed Ibuki in this game. Hope Zeku is dope.

Oh I forgot to mention, I also pick characters if they're hot females. Usually works out well for me since they tend to make female characters the pure footsie characters. That's why I played Cassie Cage and Jacqui in MKX, WW in IJ2 (The thickness), Orchid in KI, Poison in USF4 (kinda got worked with that one) and She-Hulk in (U)MvC3.

There are a few others but I forgot to mention.

EDIT: Oh how could I forget Bae.Jenet and also King in KoF.

ElFly

I don't really have a preference. I will try everyone and see if they click with me.

Characters I've played:

-Zangief in A2, 4 and V (didn't like him in 2 because his normals are way worse there. in 4 his normals aren't that great either but dunno, he is ok in 4)

-Other grapplers who can grapple good (Hakan/THawk in 4)

-Rolento in A2, very fast, very flexible, great custom combo. hated him in 4, they just murdered him

-Bison in A2. Dude was great. Loved his psycho crusher super, and his stomps/dive gave him a lot of flexibility too, even if gimmicky

-Juri in 4, again. they murdered her in 5

-Guile where available, Nash in A2. I dislike Guile in 5 cause I don't like his V-Trigger, Nash in V is a completely different guy

Skilletor

Oh I forgot to mention, I also pick characters if they're hot females. Usually works out well for me since they tend to make female characters the pure footsie characters. That's why I played Cassie Cage and Jacqui in MKX, WW in IJ2 (The thickness), Orchid in KI, Poison in USF4 (kinda got worked with that one) and She-Hulk in (U)MvC3.

There are a few others but I forgot to mention.

EDIT: Oh how could I forget Bae.Jenet and also King in KoF.

I take umbrage with this post. You cannot label WW in IJ2 the thickness without commenting on Poison's gdlk physique.

mbpm1

I like to pick characters I can space people out with and go ham at the flip of a coin. So basically characters that can do everything, my first real main was ultra ken, go figure

I'll choose space over mixups though

I take umbrage with this post. You cannot label WW in IJ2 the thickness without commenting on Poison's gdlk physique.
Poison's physique is great but tbh, I'm not a big fan of her default. It was the alternate where she's wearing the oriental dress with the leg tattoos that just. fucking. got to me. I straight up picked her up because of that costume and found a very fun and solid character there.

Also come on bro, WW wins.

hqdefault.jpg

Numb

Haven't been keeping up with SFV due to other games
Where are the dlcs? Is there anything new about egytian girl that we didn't find by our selves

Scotia

Banned
Give me Year of Final FIght season pass

Ew

I'm basically the same. A character's design is the number one way for me to decide if I like a character or not. After that it's personality then gameplay. If I happen to gel with that character's gameplay, then great, but if it doesn't then it's a shame but I'll still play them.

Numb

My characters gotta pass about 4 points before i main em

1. Looks. Once i like their design it's on
2. Gameplay. Very important. Is it cool and fun.
3. Ease of use. I'm ass so i don't need these high execution or skill requiring characters

After they pass those then i just pick the toppest tier among the group that passed ;_____;

but then i forget everything and just go for the grappler and play them bad because i got no patience
heh.png

Village

I like Poison, Guy, Haggar and Cody but an entire season (essentially a year) of just FF is an awful idea, mainly because the majority of the MGG are fucking whack.

You fucking nuts

Cody
Guy
Maki
Rolento
Hugo
Poison

That isn't the tightest year of DLC you, Nuts. You need to get ya mind right

Tbh I don't really have a "type" in regards to characters. I love grapplers, but sometimes a given game's grappler doesn't click with me too well and I generally just tend to pick fighters that gel with me regardless of how much I like them as characters (seriously; I loathe T. Hawk).

Here are my mains in games I've taken seriously:

-Mika in Street Fighter V
-Tony Hawk/Poison in Street Fighter IV
-Raven in Guilty Gear Xrd
-Akuma/Dragunov in Tekken 7
-Junpei in Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
-Big Band/Peacock in Skullgirls
-Tager in BlazBlue (haven't played competitively since CS though)
-Rock/Ramon/Yamazaki in KOFXIV

And that's not even getting into characters I've mained in games I've played casually like Tina in DOA5LR, Shermie in KOF2k2UM, Takeda in MKX, etc. I'll literally play anyone so long as I have fun with 'em.

Scotia

Banned
You fucking nuts

Cody
Guy
Maki
Rolento
Hugo
Poison

That isn't the tightest year of DLC you, Nuts. You need to get ya mind right

I forgot about Maki. Maki's cool. Rolento and Hugo can fuck off with the rest of the garbage MGG jobbers though.

EDIT: Forgot about Sodom, he's cool too. Fuck the rest of the MGG.

Numb

Without caring for fun,looks and playstyle i'll just pick a top tier blind one day. The very top. Bless me lord Sanford

Pompadour

M hierarchy:

Ninja

Character that looks cool to me

There's a huge overlap between ninja and character that looks cool to me. Pretty much 100%.

Unfortunately, they destroyed Ibuki in this game. Hope Zeku is dope.

Replace "ninja" with "boxer" and that's me. Bonus points if the character is stylish and/or flamboyant.

What if you found THIS character fun to play?
2oqGS.jpg

I'll be entirely honest: I've never actually touched a Samurai Shodown game before aside from fooling around with one (I think it might've been 4?) in an arcade almost a decade ago.

That being said, I'd probably main them if I found them fun. I never thought I'd enjoy Dragunov in T7 (was trying to main Josie initially since she looks a lot like my gf), but trying him out was enough to get me hooked on his playstyle.

Village

switch Hugo for Sodom and you got the DLC of the Forever

I forgot about Maki. Maki's cool. Rolento and Hugo can fuck off with the rest of the garbage MGG jobbers though.

EDIT: Forgot about Sodom, he's cool too. Fuck the rest of the MGG.

You choosing a lame dude obsessed with Japan over Andre the motherfucking Giant

You all need jesus

I'm throw Sodom off of a chance for hugo

I'm either or on rolento, I think he's fun

Top Bottom