• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

VariantX

Yo, question to the community. What was your first Street Fighter? I've been curious about where people started with the series. For me, the first Street Fighter I played was Third Strike on the Dreamcast when I was about 7 or 8. It was also the very first fighting game I ever played.

SFII cab at walmart.

Yo, question to the community. What was your first Street Fighter? I've been curious about where people started with the series. For me, the first Street Fighter I played was Third Strike on the Dreamcast when I was about 7 or 8. It was also the very first fighting game I ever played.

Alpha 3 on the PS1. Previously I had button mashed my way through the SSF2 and SFIII2i cabinets at the local movie theatre, but Alpha 3 was the first one I actually sat down with and kind of learned. It wasn't til the mid-2000s and a nearby arcade getting 3rd Strike that I started playing competitively against people, but Alpha 3 is what ignited the spark.

Does Vs Street Fighter count? Haven't played the original SF2 arcade until a Christmas party

ElFly

SF2 arcade

then a long road of games: SF2 SNES at my cousin's, then Super on my Genesis, then Alpha 2 on my PS1 and Arcades, v little 3 on arcades

Alpha 3 on the PS1. Previously I had button mashed my way through the SSF2 and SFIII2i cabinets at the local movie theatre, but Alpha 3 was the first one I actually sat down with and kind of learned. It wasn't til the mid-2000s and a nearby arcade getting 3rd Strike that I started playing competitively against people, but Alpha 3 is what ignited the spark.

Alpha 3 for whatever reason never felt right to me. but the world tour mode was fantastic

Bob White

I'd prolly play more Tekken if it didn't have some arbitrarily arcane means of performing consecutive back dashes. It's pretty fun aside from that.

Yeah, tekken doesn't get enough flack for it's backwards ass movement system. The most important thing in fighting games is movement and spacing. OK, cool, let's fucking make it the hardest motion new players have trouble with AND make you do the motion multiply times in a row.

And tekken players seem to LOVE this. I stopped playing tekken after all I wanted to do was fucking space out shit I knew people would mash after being in a block string. But I don't feel like grinding out Korean back dashes and side step cancels. Just not the game for me.

Now my first SF is technically SF1, as I played it once, in a seaside arcade (not long) before the sequel came out. IIRC it was the six-button version, not the pressure pad one. I didn't know what was going on, and died quickly, as was usually the way

SF1 was my first SF. Played it on Amiga, and thought it was one of the most horrible things I ever played.

Things changed with SF2, really.

Teh Lurv

He seemed upset that I could actually punish his random shoulders. The match he stayed for, I could feel the shift in his mind after I punished his bullshit dash on reaction with super.

Literally his whole game plan was

Random shoulder getting punished? ok try...
Dash throw attempts getting punished? ok try...
Fishing wildly for st hp crush counter.

This game is breeding these fucking "yung gouki" style players, man. Since everything is blow up rush that shit down. They think they're the fucking shit.

And to anyone thinking "Man, bob, you kinda petty for going in on this dude like this"

To you I say, this is all the enjoyment I can get out of the game. Don't deny me RQ salt.

At least you got an almost full match, I had a Ken RQ on me yesterday before round 1 ended because I kept punishing his rush down. The match wasn't even in the bag for me yet, he was at about 25% health after my last block/punish when he said "fuck it" and pulled the cord.

SF1 was my first SF. Played it on Amiga, and thought it was one of the most horrible things I ever played.

It was truly terrible. Pretty sure the amiga version didnt even have fireball. Just super basic stuff like a jump kick, standing punch and crouch kick. But its been years and years since I played it obvioulsy. I remember trying to like it because i loved SF2 so much in the arcade and wanted to play it at home.

When SF2 came out on Amiga i loved it. Looking back it was a bad version of that game but i played the crap out of it anyway lol. You will put up with so much crap as a kid.

Beil

Amiga SFII was the single greatest act of self-delusion I've ever committed. Christmas morning 1993. It IS good. JUST AS GOOD as the SNES version. It IS good!

Love reading about it, these days. The rumours that they didn't have access to any code or assets, so had to photograph and record graphics and sound off-air and basically make up the gameplay based on observation alone. So, so believable, given how it turned out.

Amiga SFII was the single greatest act of self-delusion I've ever committed. Christmas morning 1993. It IS good. JUST AS GOOD as the SNES version. It IS good!

Love reading about it, these days. The rumours that they didn't have access to any code or assets, so had to photograph and record graphics and sound off-air and basically make up the gameplay based on observation alone. So, so believable, given how it turned out.

LOL yup. Then I got my SNES and SF2 and accepted how bad the amiga version was.... eventually. Is till wanted to believe it was good haha.

That sounds hilarious.

SF2 sweded edition

Veal

SF2 SNES. I traded my only game at the time, Super Mario Kart, to friend for it and thought I made a mistake. I had never played anything like it. Maybe I did make a mistake way back when considering how addicted I still am to the genre!

It feels like at least 20 of us said SF2 SNES. So just out of curiosity If you never played it at the arcade or just don't remember the arcade version and only have memories of the SNES version did it kind of blow you away to finally see the game at 60fps?

I remember seeing tournament match videos in the mid to late 2000's and was kind of in awe of how fast pace the game was because all my memories of the game were from when I was a kid playing on a SNES. I did play the arcade version several times. But far far less than the SNES version. Plus I hated playing on stick and would think that I'd totally beat the CPU if only I had a pad lol.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, those are burned into my mind. But you also have to imagine it on a really crappy mono speaker. Chun's probably works best on it.
It was well done for what is possible on a Game Boy, definitely.

edit: I always thought it would make for a great "mystery game" tournament, because everyone knows it, but it's still completely different. There are only two buttons for one thing.
You could actually link two systems up and play versus.

Teh Lurv

I believe it, a lot of home ports of arcade games in the 80s were done without any source code or assets from the original developer. I read not too long ago an interview of the guy who did the C64 port of Alien Storm, all he had to go on was a VHS recording of Alien Storm arcade being played from start to finish.

edit: I always thought it would make for a great "mystery game" tournament, because everyone knows it, but it's still completely different. There are only two buttons for one thing.
You could actually link two systems up and play versus.

Gameboy SF2 also supports two player versus when you use it on the Super Gameboy.

Pompadour

Abigail reveal @ evo or should I not get my hope up?

I think that's the least you can expect. Anything more may be naive.

Because seriously, by the rough release framework we got (which came from one Capcom of America employee after much complaining about communication) we should have had Abigail in June.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Capcom notes on how to make UFO catcher toys:
https://twitter.com/VGArtAndTidbits/status/884807860479291392

DEd4DRXUMAAj2xv.jpg:large

DEd4DRqV0AAcx5a.jpg:large

They look amazing if you ask me

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Follow up question for those that had it: how much did you pay for SNES SF2?

It was so popular by the time I got it that it was sold out everywhere in the Bronx near me until I finally tracked down a lone copy at The Wiz on 3rd for $75.

Best part? My then girl/future wife copped it for me as a B-Day gift. Of course, she didn't know what she started that day and now hates the click click click of all my fight sticks.

It was so popular by the time I got it that it was sold out everywhere in the Bronx near me until I finally tracked down a lone copy at The Wiz on 3rd for $75.

Best part? My then girl/future wife copped it for me as a B-Day gift. Of course, she didn't know what she started that day and now hates the click click click of all my fight sticks.

have you ever tried optical or silent parts?

Neoxon

My (surprisingly-young) aunt bought it for her SNES, but I didn't play it much since I preferred the arcade version (my parents said I was a bit stuck-up about). Silver lining, the same aunt took me to the usual arcade & used her quarters so we could play together. Seeing as I started with 2nd Impact, I was disappointed to find the lack of Urien, so I compromised with Ryu, Cammy, & Fei Long (the cabinet was for Super Turbo, as mentioned in a previous post).

Blueblur1

Abigail is finally coming for real. Street Fighter FB just updated their cover image with an updated DLC character banner. On mobile so it's a pain to link to (also I'm about to eat a giant flapjack.)

Top Bottom