• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Can we just take a step back for a second, and appreciate just how amazing the fighting game scene is right now?

Definitely. There really is something for everyone, and I wouldn't believe you 3 years ago when Gundam FB dropped that a new Gundam, console Dissidia, and new fuggin Virtual-On of all things would all be releasing in the span of a year.

If VF6 and SC6
and maybe Smash Switch????
dropped out of the blue next year then we're looking at a GOAT era.

But Ken's face tho.

Yeah the scene is great right now. As someone who played so many as a kid but they went years without touching them. I have in the past 2 years got back into them and I have SFV, KI, GG Xrd and nitro+ blasterz heroines infinite duel (lol is kinda fun).

I also will be getting Tekken 7 soon as its in the summer sale and IJ2 when its pretty cheap (not as keen).

But I have gone from playing all kinds of games to barely touching anything else. Nothing else out there seems to draw me in anymore. I can play for 20 mins or a couple of hours. As someone with limited free time due to being a parent its amazing. And its a genre I loved so much as a kid.

I only wish GG Xrd has a user base like SFV and online matchmaking in the same way. I like what I have played but there isn't much of a casual scene so I just get destroyed lol. Well Apart from my first ever match which I somehow won. Not won one match since though lol.

JAXXX

DFDNStQXsAAkoCu.jpg

I'm curious, how is Justin Wong still ranked as high as he is but not Daigo?? Daigo seemed to be placing upward more switching to Guile while Justin's results declined???

Balrog and Urien, there is only a handful getting consistent results.
Also Laura's nowhere to be found on the LIST. LOL

DunpealD

It's honestly great. There's so many great fighting games to chose from with even more on the horizon. It's a great time to be a fighting game fan.

Sometimes I think as awesome as all those fighting games are, it's not as awesome as talking shit about SFV. Especially fanboys of other games. That behavior is off-putting and only harms the fgc as a whole, energy is better spent in nurturing your favorite game.

On the other hand it's incredible to see how fast FGs have grown and establishing itself as an esport. I bet James Chen is probably pretty darn happy that his dream has come true, now that people are sponsored and are starting to make a career.
Sajam and Tasty Steve going full time commentary is a first and hopefully they are successful with it.

On that note the the Eleague SFV Turnerment was kinda amazing. It wasn't pro-level play or anything, but still had its hype moments and I loved how good the atmosphere was.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Sometimes I think as awesome as all those fighting games are, it's not as awesome as talking shit about SFV. Especially fanboys of other games. That behavior is off-putting and only harms the fgc as a whole, energy is better spent in nurturing your favorite game.

On the other hand it's incredible to see how fast FGs have grown and establishing itself as an esport. I bet James Chen is probably pretty darn happy that his dream has come true, now that people are sponsored and are starting to make a career.
Sajam and Tasty Steve going full time commentary is a first and hopefully they are successful with it.

On that note the the Eleague SFV Turnerment was kinda amazing. It wasn't pro-level play or anything, but still had its hype moments and I loved how good the atmosphere was.

I was watching this, but I couldn't stand a few of the players and their smug personalities. Maybe that's just par for the course with the FGC, but man...

With connection you need a good and consistant ping. Up and down speed is far less important. So fun some tests for ping and jitter (how much you ping fluxuates). Thats whats important.

As for getting better, analyze after the fight. When you get your ass handed to you the best thing to do is watch the replay. Then you can see what went wrong and can try to recreate it in training and find a way to overcome it.

The most common issue with players is match up knowledge. Even rookies nad bronze often know comboes because the the first and most obvious thing to learn. What people have to spend the most time learning (and it can take a very very long time) is what every character can do, how to counter each move and when they are safe to punish.

I have played since launch (albeit casually) and I still have huge issue with decent dhalsims and FANGS because I barely ever get to fight them. So when I do I dont really know what they do and when I can punish etc.

I'll run some ping and jitter tests. I remember 22ms was my ping last night, but I didn't check fluctuation.

joe2187

Banned
Eh, doesn't look like it could be esport.

Not going for esport, it's just fun and creative.

Okay, so there are three indie fighters to make an esport.

You got punch planet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEKai2o0cjo

Jank ass Omen of sorrow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T27pFp95QYs ( which i think is just trying to rip off Injustice or MK somehow)

Or Cerebrawl (game is waaaaay early in development) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T27pFp95QYs

But the soundtrack is ace https://soundcloud.com/cerebrawlin/cauldron-rave,

Lulubop

So we've all come around on Abigail, huh? Pretty cool they gave him all his FF shit. I hope he's busted because he'll still rarely be played and still be hype af.

Skilletor

Not going for esport, it's just fun and creative.

Okay, so there are three indie fighters to make an esport.

Jank ass Omen of sorrow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T27pFp95QYs ( which i think is just trying to rip off Injustice or MK somehow)

This game looked a lot better in person. It might have been a later build, but the animations looked smoother and it didn't feel as if everybody was gliding across the ground.

I didn't play it, so no clue how it felt or plays, but I remember watching youtube videos and seeing it in person and noting how different it looked.

FluxWaveZ

So we've all come around on Abigail, huh? Pretty cool they gave him all his FF shit. I hope he's busted because he'll still rarely be played and still be hype af.

I thought he was cool when he was first revealed; still kinda don't understand all the backlash concerning his reveal.

DunpealD

I was watching this, but I couldn't stand a few of the players and their smug personalities. Maybe that's just par for the course with the FGC, but man...

Haha, maybe a little bit of the FGC did rub off on them. But I think most of them just tried to have some fun and maybe tried a little bit too hard.

My favorite part is the beginning of the video where they showed what the turnerment actually was.

Ah man.... I want a new bloody roar. At least I believe I do.

If it's more like Bloody Roar 4 then that's some monkey's paw shit.

If it's more like Bloody Roar 2 then that's my dream game.

Kuma's fur tech in Tekken 7 has just made me sad cause we'll never see that in a Bloody Roar game :(

Amedo310

If it's more like Bloody Roar 4 then that's some monkey's paw shit.

If it's more like Bloody Roar 2 then that's my dream game.

Kuma's fur tech in Tekken 7 has just made me sad cause we'll never see that in a Bloody Roar game :(

Which BR4? The USA version is completely different from the JPN version. A lot of things were taken out in the USA version. It came out unfinished.

Which BR4? The USA version is completely different from the JPN version. A lot of things were taken out in the USA version. It came out unfinished.

This is.... the first time I'm hearing about this. I played the US version, the one with the shitty dub. (I still remember "WHAAT DID YOU DOO TO NAAGIII" in the most bored tone ever)

What was different?

VariantX

I thought he was cool when he was first revealed; still kinda don't understand all the backlash concerning his reveal.

A.) Hes a 'weirdo' or comes off as a joke character and doesn't come off as 'cool' it gets shit on, no exceptions. Fang got shit on for this reason, Necalli didn't because he's an edgelord ass design. Rufus and fuerte got shit on for the same reasons in SFIV.

B.) He's not a grandfathered in weirdo. If blanka, dhalsim, or oro were revealed for the first time in this season, they'd be getting the same shit.

C.) Hes not a returning character that people want to play, and the entire season 2 except for Akuma is this, they get shit on. This is even worse because some folks feel that their mains spot was stolen by a character perceived to be a joke character.

D.) Other FG's are releasing either highly requested characters (Jubei) or popular characters from other FG's as guests (Geese). SFV season 2 will be bringing none of that After Akuma.

People will eventually get over their salt like always and they'll get used to him just like all the other SF games before this one.

LakeEarth

I just realized something, Abigail may be a godsend for Survival thanks to his metric shit-ton of health.

Hopefully he has a good cheap way to get through Extreme, so I can finally pick up the platinum for this game. I should've went for it in season 1 when Ken's medium SRK was still completely invincible. I know Urien's constant knee drop spam also works, but it's not foolproof.

Amedo310

This is.... the first time I'm hearing about this. I played the US version, the one with the shitty dub. (I still remember "WHAAT DID YOU DOO TO NAAGIII" in the most bored tone ever)

What was different?

I'm not fully aware of all the changes, but I know a lot of the Japanese version tech is not in the USA version. Also, the ability to jump cancel is gone and the USA controls are worst than the Japanese version. There's a BR discord that has a lot of information about the series as a whole.

JusDoIt

Punch Planet is by far my most anticipated upcoming fighting game. It's the only fighting game that is actively trying to be as clean and grounded as Street Fighter (a style avoided by other devs altogether, basically giving Capcom the go-ahead because nobody is directly competing with the series). It looks a little like SFIII and a little like SFIV with the way it handles parries and dash cancels. And it's gorgeous. I hope it gets a console release and a healthy roster before 2020.

JAXXX

it would've been neat if Capcom gave Abigail a weight mechanic like vf5 taka. You could throw him but the properties and animation changed.

Top Bottom