• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Visually, yes. That's why his playstyle is so disappointing.
I like his play style too. I wish I was better at using him because I think he's great all around. (Except for how poorly they treated him in the story.)

Seriously? In a game with F.A.N.G, Rashid, Kolin (technically), you chose freaking Necalli?
Yes.

Necalli > Ed >>> Rashid > Kolin >>>>> Abigail > FANG >>>>>>>>>> Laura

Necaili literally needs like one new v-skill and he'd be fun to play.

Actually, I'd play a bunch of characters if they changed them even slightly.

I'd play Nash if his defense was moderately better.
I'd play Rog again if he had something more than his little dash.

It's not that the characters are BAD or anything, they just don't have what interest me in terms of fun.

Sayad

Necalli is a throw everything at it and see what sticks design, dude has a DP, command grab, dive kick, shoulder tackle, seismo and a combo-able over head. You can see how clueless they were about his purpose in story mode. ;p

My main criticism of the FM system is that it isn't fun to earn. I wanted some sort of earnable currency in the next SFV game before it was ever revealed. However, I anticipated it as something to make online play more rewarding and to take the sting out of losing Ranked matches. I figured if some money dropped whether you won or lost people would be less likely to rage quit.

I wanted basic challenges for every character like you saw in 3S Online Edition so people would be incentivized to play different fighters. The framework for everything I want the FM system to be is already in the game, it's just clear it was rushed so they dumped exorbitant amounts of FM on the terrible Survival mode. It should have been spread around way more.

But that isn't what the thread was about so I didn't bring it up. It's easy to get FM in SFV, just not fun.
Gospel right here.

Bison is my favourite looking character, design and animations.
Best death cry in the game (JPN voice), love it.

Bison is my favourite looking character, design and animations.

vriTjtK.gif

I brought it up earlier in how the cpt bundle is a better investment than buying the season pass.

After watching Battlenonsense with TEKKEN 7 netcode. Having v-sync off may have a negative than having it on. I played someone in Central America with 3 bars and has bad as it sound, the lag was minor.

But the game ends up unplayable as jab walk in throw becomes legitimate strategy.

Capcpom have fucked up a lot with this game but I've yet to see a character that was straight up disappointing. Every character has a good design, is incredibly well animated and feels fresh and unique.

With the exception of Juri, the useless one.
Juri killed me. I was so fucking hyped for her. She was the most anticipated character I've EVER had in a fighter.

I was so disappointed by her that I completely dropped the game for nearly 3 months after she launched. Mind you, I had around 200 hours in the game at this point.

Oddly enough, Urien (my next most anticipated) was what it took to get me back in, and he fit me like a glove. He finally solved the character crisis I'd had since the betas.

Juri killed me. I was so fucking hyped for her. She was the most anticipated character I've EVER had in a fighter.

I was so disappointed by her that I completely dropped the game for nearly 3 months after she launched. Mind you, I had around 200 hours in the game at this point.

Oddly enough, Urien (my next most anticipated) was what it took to get me back in, and he fit me like a glove. He finally solved the character crisis I'd had since the betas.
Lack of a real Crazy Chili Dog theme (it sounds nothing like it) saddened me with Uriel but they definitely did him good.

Juri is definitely a flop. I wonder if we'll see any buffs to her to make her relevant.

Teh Lurv

Necalli is a throw everything at it and see what sticks design, dude has a DP, command grab, dive kick, shoulder tackle, seismo and a combo-able over head. You can see how clueless they were about his purpose in story mode. ;p

Necalli feels like he was supposed to be the "new-Ryu" for beginner players in SFV. The guy literally has the sampler buffet of special moves. DP, quarter-circle, charge move, command throw, dive-kick. If you can get competent with Necalli, you can spring-board off into any of the more specialized characters in the game.

But yeah, Necalli's character design is a waste. I wish Capcom went with his story-mode form as his main design. Having a living golem of stone & mud animated by a hungry Aztec god is an interesting design. Instead we got an angry cave-man with the SFV logo stamped on his face.

VariantX

My main criticism of the FM system is that it isn't fun to earn. I wanted some sort of earnable currency in the next SFV game before it was ever revealed. However, I anticipated it as something to make online play more rewarding and to take the sting out of losing Ranked matches. I figured if some money dropped whether you won or lost people would be less likely to rage quit.

I wanted basic challenges for every character like you saw in 3S Online Edition so people would be incentivized to play different fighters. The framework for everything I want the FM system to be is already in the game, it's just clear it was rushed so they dumped exorbitant amounts of FM on the terrible Survival mode. It should have been spread around way more.

But that isn't what the thread was about so I didn't bring it up. It's easy to get FM in SFV, just not fun.

I literally thought they were going to do what Iron Galaxy did with the challenges since the ones data mined looked to be of the same nature. FM starts to get very, very hard to earn once you complete medium survival with everyone. Waiting for weeklies is a bit too much right now and there aren't any streams to watch to earn any right now either.

LakeEarth

The worst part about Necalli is how completely pointless he is to the SF5 plot. His whole "eating fighters souls" thing clearly tries to make him intimidating, but in the story mode he literally gets his ass beat the entire time.

mbpm1

The worst part about Necalli is how completely pointless he is to the SF5 plot. His whole "eating fighters souls" thing clearly tries to make him intimidating, but in the story mode he literally gets his ass beat the entire time.
Did he end up doing anything with bison?

Lulubop

I played through the story mode the other day for the first time, and I thought it was fine. Not sure what people expected from a sf storymode but it was sf as fuck. That said the constant loading sucked, and sometimes the textures were really bad, even on characters but not always. It was weird. Necalli was a big jobber tho, it seemed like Karin and Rashid were the main characters Which is cool.

VariantX

He's played up as a god-like being and everyone just stomps his shit in. Hes just an annoyance at best. The story has massive holes in it, even if they were filled Necalli would still make no sense.

Skilletor

I played through the story mode the other day for the first time, and I thought it was fine. Not sure what people expected from a sf storymode but it was sf as fuck. That said the constant loading sucked, and sometimes the textures were really bad, even on characters but not always. It was weird. Necalli was a big jobber tho, it seemed like Karin and Rashid were the main characters Which is cool.

Injustice 2 is the only story mode that I thought was decent (didn't play through IJ1's story).

Every other story mode for a fighter feels the same except GG, which I won't do since I have to sit through an anime I have no interest watching.

Capcpom have fucked up a lot with this game but I've yet to see a character that was straight up disappointing. Every character has a good design, is incredibly well animated and feels fresh and unique.

With the exception of Juri, the useless one.
Alex is the runner up for pure disappointment (animation aside). A 3S alt like 14 months after his 20 year hiatus from numbered SF titles can't make up for that. MvC3 Hsien-Ko is the queen of disappointment, though. A complete butchering of a character almost to a Dan-like degree.

jett

D-Member
Injustice 2 is the only story mode that I thought was decent (didn't play through IJ1's story).

Every other story mode for a fighter feels the same except GG, which I won't do since I have to sit through an anime I have no interest watching.

Xrd's story mode is actually the worst. Four? hours of mostly powerpoint-tier cut-scenes of a convoluted-ass plot that goes back a dozen games. No fights. I didn't sign up for this. I think I endured about 15 minutes.

Teh Lurv

Bipson beats his ass, too.

Balrog beat his ass.
Dhalsim held his own after getting letting himself get punched in the spine by a powered up Ryu punch
Akuma literally exploded Necalli.

In story-mode he's like a serious version of Dan. I mean, I know what Capcom was trying to do. They wanted a Worf character to show off how powerful Bison & Ryu had become during the story, but they utterly failed at establishing Necalli's badassery.

Lulubop

Yea I agree with that, it was just really pretty and the voice acting was superb. These fighters are always gonna have shit stories, at least make audio/visually appealing. Didn't like how it was a Batman show tho.

Eh the Abigail trailer thing is whatever. Just another miscommunication between Capcom Japan and Capcom USA.

At least this mistake isn't malicious...

VariantX

Balrog beat his ass.
Dhalsim held his own after getting letting himself get punched in the spine by a powered up Ryu punch
Akuma literally exploded Necalli.

In story-mode he's like a serious version of Dan. I mean, I know what Capcom was trying to do. They wanted a Worf character to show off how powerful Bison & Ryu had become during the story, but they utterly failed at establishing Necalli's badassery.

That's really the problem, Necalli would be something to fear if he took out a powerful person in the SF pantheon. But because everyone either runs away successfully, or stomps his ass back into a mud puddle we can't even know where he stands relative to everyone else.

While the actual story in SFV story mode is crap, Zangief is excellent in it. However its not the story itself that sucks. Its how the whole thing works. Its one round that starts immediately on loading and you play a different character each fight. You have no chance to get used to any single character at a time and its over so fast as its one round that you may as well just mash through it. Whether you actually like the story in MK, for example, its general layout is really good. Smooth transitions into fights. Lasts 2 rounds. Follows one character at a time where you use them for about 4 fights or so before moving on to the next person.

I 'played' 45 mins of the GG Xrd story mode. Havn't gone back since. As far as I can tell it is literally an anime lol. Its a story rather than story mode. The sf 2 collection on (ps2 maybe?) did this way better by simply including the SF anime on the disk.

The problem is that Capcom was't willing to let Necalli successfully devour anyone from the cast.
If they had let him do so, even if it was revealed to be reversible, then he would have seemed a lot more intimidating. Instead he just got socked by everyone he ran into.

EDIT:

Ono: By popular demand, we have brought back Sagat!
SF fans: :D
Necalli: Om-nom-nom!
SF fans: D:

I brought it up earlier in how the cpt bundle is a better investment than buying the season pass.
How do you figure?

ElFly

While the actual story in SFV story mode is crap, Zangief is excellent in it. However its not the story itself that sucks. Its how the whole thing works. Its one round that starts immediately on loading and you play a different character each fight. You have no chance to get used to any single character at a time and its over so fast as its one round that you may as well just mash through it. Whether you actually like the story in MK, for example, its general layout is really good. Smooth transitions into fights. Lasts 2 rounds. Follows one character at a time where you use them for about 4 fights or so before moving on to the next person.

I 'played' 45 mins of the GG Xrd story mode. Havn't gone back since. As far as I can tell it is literally an anime lol. Its a story rather than story mode. The sf 2 collection on (ps2 maybe?) did this way better by simply including the SF anime on the disk.

I don't know why SFV decided on single round fights. I can see it for survival, but in story mode it is just a huge waste of everyone's time

Well, then he should guest on The Recipe as long as he can be entertaining. If he seems completely uninterested there as well then there's no point.

The Recipe is really good. I love those guys as a duo and it was interesting watching them play a veriety of games. I watch Adventures but The Recipe is better.

Its sounds like they are taking a break but it would be better if they kept cycling through the 4 games they did and just keep going. Maybe get guests for each one on.

SFV's Story

Ryu: I'm taking a personal day.
Everyone Else: Okay, we'll try to keep the world from ending in the meantime.
*fails*
Ryu: ...You guys suck.

Alchemist

Well, then he should guest on The Recipe as long as he can be entertaining. If he seems completely uninterested there as well then there's no point.

Pretty sure he said on floe's stream the other day he wanted to be a guest.

I think he, like many others are just tired of the bs that's in the SFV.

Pretty sure he said on floe's stream the other day he wanted to be a guest.

I think he, like many others are just tired of the bs that's in the SFV.

I can't even tell what part of the BS they don't like, because they've been so categorically wrong on so many things I don't know what they actually find wrong.

They said Alex was actually good. Like what?!
They said Rog, Laura, and I think Guile or Ibuki would be the only ones placing in Top 8s and everyone would be picking those characters up. All of the Top 8s have been super diverse and people aren't even switching.
The 8frames/6.5frames of lag being blamed on everything. Yeah, that's an issue, but it's not the reason you ain't landing shit.
When Ross would play Gief, he wouldn't do half the shit a Gief player would do. Gootecks didn't even know how to do the standing jab headbutt until recently.

I'm sure they have legit complaints, I just don't remember them due to their complaints being rooted in scrubby outlooks.

I wanna watch Gootecks and Mike Ross have fun, doesn't matter the game.

Its called "Excellent Adventures of Gootecks and Mike Ross" Not "SFV Adventures"

Pompadour

I can't even tell what part of the BS they don't like, because they've been so categorically wrong on so many things I don't know what they actually find wrong.

They said Alex was actually good. Like what?!
They said Rog, Laura, and I think Guile or Ibuki would be the only ones placing in Top 8s and everyone would be picking those characters up. All of the Top 8s have been super diverse and people aren't even switching.
The 8frames/6.5frames of lag being blamed on everything. Yeah, that's an issue, but it's not the reason you ain't landing shit.
When Ross would play Gief, he wouldn't do half the shit a Gief player would do. Gootecks didn't even know how to do the standing jab headbutt until recently.

I'm sure they have legit complaints, I just don't remember them due to their complaints being rooted in scrubby outlooks.

They've always been like that, though. They bitched endlessly about SF4, they would lose to low tier characters then claim they're actually high tier, and they'd moan about how the game had no neutral and that being dumb was the greatest strategy.

SFV comes out and they're in love because the game addresses all of their problems with SFIV, at least for awhile. Then they start complaining about the same things they complained about with SFIV, except for new chestnuts like not understanding how input lag works.

I don't know if it's the game itself or they're just in different places in their lives now where Street Fighter is their job instead of a hobby. They definitely seem less interested in the game they're playing, though. I do want to watch Mike Ross play Xrd to seem if it raises his spirits at all because he can extremely entertaining.

mbpm1

You can tell that they don't play. They don't like the game > they don't play it outside of the show > they don't improve and in fact get worse > the show suffers

Top Bottom