• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

oh man, so far, 80% of my online games were against a team of shotos, smh

and Hwaorang kinda sucks.....his pokes get beaten out a lot...and his standing jab is a joke

Rolento's pokes are fuckin annoying, and so are the grapplers :-/

vocab

Poison with that half tax! Also, Stage lag? You would think they would of noticed it on Cross Assault. I'll ignore that statement till I notice it my self.

So, about gems and tourneys-- lets say Capcom doesn't come up with a tournament friendly way of picking gems (seems pretty likely lol)

what if tourney organizers agreed on one standard load out that both players use at all tourneys and Evo? Do you guys think that would limit player creativity with the game too much?

Poison with that half tax! Also, Stage lag? You would think they would of noticed it on Cross Assault. I'll ignore that statement till I notice it my self.

Valle or the pros would have noticed it for sure. I think they had enough controversy without them criticizing the game on the show though. If there is lag, those stages should be banned...

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So, about gems and tourneys-- lets say Capcom doesn't come up with a tournament friendly way of picking gems (seems pretty likely lol)

what if tourney organizers agreed on one standard load out that both players use at all tourneys and Evo? Do you guys think that would limit player creativity with the game too much?

Did you miss the articles about the tournament patch and the USB profile system?

Personal gem loadouts stored on USB stick, inserted at the character select screen.

If people still have a problem with that the suggestion has come up for TOs to create an official standardized loadout on a stick to load for everybody.

Nyoro SF

The problem is that complex mechanisms aren't necessary. All that needed to be done was for gems to be selectable at the character select screen with a competent filtering system.

Kai Dracon

The problem is that complex mechanisms aren't necessary. All that needed to be done was for gems to be selectable at the character select screen with a competent filtering system.

It's six of one, half dozen of the other. I'm not saying their tournament patch is the one ideal solution.

But on one hand we had a lot of people protesting wasting any time configuring gems at the select screen. On the other we have people who don't want to be responsible for bringing your own gem loadout.

A point worth remembering is that the gem loadouts don't seem to be like picking a super in another game - it's not something you change every match because you feel like it. It seems more like you're expected to settle on a few preferred loadouts for each character individually and stick with those.

I can see the logic behind their USB system - it means people don't have to manually select the specific gem loadout for each character every time, even if there was an interface for browsing the entire gem set.

One guesses the best possible solution would be both - profiles on USB is something people have been asking for in FG's for a while anyway, and it would benefit a lot of people. But having a select screen filter as backup for other people wouldn't hurt anything.

kirblar

It's six of one, half dozen of the other. I'm not saying their tournament patch is the one ideal solution.

But on one hand we had a lot of people protesting wasting any time configuring gems at the select screen. On the other we have people who don't want to be responsible for bringing your own gem loadout.

A point worth remembering is that the gem loadouts don't seem to be like picking a super in another game - it's not something you change every match because you feel like it. It seems more like you're expected to settle on a few preferred loadouts for each character individually and stick with those.

I can see the logic behind their USB system - it means people don't have to manually select the specific gem loadout for each character every time, even if there was an interface for browsing the entire gem set.

One guesses the best possible solution would be both - profiles on USB is something people have been asking for in FG's for a while anyway, and it would benefit a lot of people. But having a select screen filter as backup for other people wouldn't hurt anything.
There are just so many gems available that navigating the menu would take too much time. I like that your opponent is "blind" to what your gem triggers are. A USB stick is less than ten dollars. All they need to do is set up a station or two at the event before pools start specifically for people to select their loadouts.

Did you miss the articles about the tournament patch and the USB profile system?

Personal gem loadouts stored on USB stick, inserted at the character select screen.

If people still have a problem with that the suggestion has come up for TOs to create an official standardized loadout on a stick to load for everybody.

I heard about the usb system, but i also saw a lot of negativity about it.

Kai Dracon

There are just so many gems available that navigating the menu would take too much time. I like that your opponent is "blind" to what your gem triggers are. A USB stick is less than ten dollars. All they need to do is set up a station or two at the event before pools start specifically for people to select their loadouts.

Yeah, I honestly do not feel the USB solution is a problem in most circumstances. I hate to sound like this, but at this point don't basically all players who go to real life tournaments actually own a copy of the game themselves? Do we still have a lot of people who play seriously that don't have the game?

If one has the game, is it too much to ask to stick a USB tab into your console and copy your gem settings before driving to a tournament that you're investing real money and effort into? Much less flying to Las Vegas for Evo?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm betting what they did with the USB thing is not as optimal as a solution as it could be. Its unnecessary.

Map a gem loadout to an alphanumeric code that can be put in at the character select screen.

If the console doesn't have the gems for that code then you will get a notice saying it cant be completed.

USB thing seems overly complicated. Complicated solutions have many more ways to fail. Its too late now because they have already settled on this USB based solution.

Westlo

If one has the game, is it too much to ask to stick a USB tab into your console and copy your gem settings before driving to a tournament that you're investing real money and effort into? Much less flying to Las Vegas for Evo?

Apparently it is, even if it also wipes out button checks.

MThanded

I don't think the inconvenience is the issue. Its an overly technical and complicated solution for a simple problem.

Being an engineer I hate to see this type of thing happen.

Kai Dracon

I don't think the inconvenience is the issue. Its an overly technical and complicated solution for a simple problem.

Being an engineer I hate to see this type of thing happen.

Convenience can be an issue of human engineering.

The game is designed to allow the player to preset multiple gem loadouts for all 38+ characters individually. That makes sense since in a match, each character on the team has their own loadout, instead of a generic set for the entire team.

It makes a lot of engineering sense to me, in terms of human interface issues, to give people profile support. How do you take profiles with you? On a personal device of some kind.

From the standpoint of "engineering" a tournament, what is more elegant? People manually setting things up every time they pick a character in every game in the set, or sitting down, sticking their ID card in basically, and hitting go?

What seems messier and complicated from the human angle is having, for instance, a string of numbers and letters for every possible gem loadout for each character in the game, and people having to write this down and crap to have on hand every time they pick a character and a specific loadout for the character. Engineering elegance doesn't always equal a good interface for human beings.

Like I said upthread, I don't see why the interface can't offer *both* - the USB profile support and a manual gem selection method.

Westlo

It doesn't get more simple than sticking a usb in your xbox or whatever and pressing copy, than going to a friends house or a tourney and sticking that into a slot. You can have 38 x what is it.. 3 custom setups? That plus your button config, basically your setup on your console can go anywhere now. It would probably also carry your custom colors too....

Capcom should have this and a manual selection on character select for the tournament regardless if they have any common sense, but I know for sure i'll be taking advantage of this usb stick option.

TDLink

Yeah, the USB solution seems perfect to me. I am not sure what the big deal being made here is. Players have to get a USB stick if they don't have one already but that seems like the only con...and it is a pretty small one.

MThanded

I hope it lives up to everyones dreams. I will hold my tongue until we know more specifics.

Since we have yet to see this implemented in any other game I cannot really judge how well it works. At this point everyones views on it, including mine, are just theories.

My main confusion is how do you get the USB load-out to the consoles. Hopefully you can just do it once and distribute it to every console easily.

TDLink

I hope it lives up to everyones dreams. I will hold my tongue until we know more specifics.

Since we have yet to see this implemented in any other game I cannot really judge how well it works. At this point everyones views on it, including mine, are just theories.

Ok, but what exactly do you predict being wrong with it as a solution? In your mind why will this not work?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Eh, NO GALLERY MODE!

Seriously, I would love to watch all CGI trailers on my beautiful hdtv but now it's not possible...... That's dumb. :(

GatorBait

What online modes/features are available? Verdict on lobbies with spectator mode? (If they have lobbies/spectating, does it work with 2v2 tag mode?)

Haeleos

I decided to hold off on my preorder until I see all of the logistics of the gem nonsense play out and if Capcom is going to monetize the gems. The prerelease confusion and pussyfooting on Capcom's part has made me feel screwed over in the past, so I'm just going to wait and watch a few tournaments before deciding. This whole system seems more cash grab than worthwhile addition to the game.

notworksafe

Ok, but what exactly do you predict being wrong with it as a solution? In your mind why will this not work?

Does it work cross console? That's the biggest sticking point to me. Also there would have to be a way to not allow pre-order gems as well.

TDLink

Does it work cross console? That's the biggest sticking point to me. Also there would have to be a way to not allow pre-order gems as well.

I don't think they have said one way or the other on either of these. I would be pretty surprised if it didn't work cross console though since that would make the whole thing rather pointless.

I'm not huge into fighting games but interested in SF but I'm not too up to date on how the gem's work and all the different preorder gems. I'd appreciate if somebody can throw me a link or explain how the gems and DLC will work.

Amazon gets Iron gems, Gamestop gets World Warrior, Best Buy gets Lightning Legs, SE gets Cross Arts but no WW or Iron, etc. Are all these pre-order gems retailer exclusive, available as DLC later on and how long, or are they in the game but just unlocked early?

Also, can your opponent see what characters and gems your picking online if they wanna counter pick you?

I'd rather just give Capcom $100 dollars just to give me the full game with everything unlocked without all this pre-order non-sense and possible (not entirely proven) on-disc DLC characters since Cody, Guy, Elena, Dudley's, intros and endings have already been leaked.

notworksafe

I don't think they have said one way or the other on either of these. I would be pretty surprised if it didn't work cross console though since that would make the whole thing rather pointless.

It's Capcom. Boneheaded decisions are not uncommon with them.

First month, I expect to play against Ryu/Ken/Rufus/Kazuya/Hugo/Rolento - Sound familiar? :D

Add Heihachi in as well. Seen plenty of him online.

I'm not huge into fighting games but interested in SF but I'm not too up to date on how the gem's work and all the different preorder gems. I'd appreciate if somebody can throw me a link or explain how the gems and DLC will work.

Amazon gets Iron gems, Gamestop gets World Warrior, Best Buy gets Lightning Legs, SE gets Cross Arts but no WW or Iron, etc. Are all these pre-order gems retailer exclusive, available as DLC later on and how long, or are they in the game but just unlocked early?

Also, can your opponent see what characters and gems your picking online if they wanna counter pick you?

I'd rather just give Capcom $100 dollars just to give me the full game with everything unlocked without all this pre-order non-sense and possible (not entirely proven) on-disc DLC characters since Cody, Guy, Elena, Dudley's, intros and endings have already been leaked.
Gems are basically broken into two catagories. Assist gems which help you play (throw escape gems, auto block gems, etc) and boost gems which increase stats (defense, attack, speed, meter gain). You assign 3 gems per character based on how you play.

For example I'm playing Juri/Lili. I use speed gems on Juri to help her get in even quicker and a mix of attack and meter gems on Lili because she relies so much on EX for damage.

As far as gem preorder bonus you've got the preorder stuff mostly right. However the Special Edition of the game has every preorder gem plus an extra pack. So if you want every gem upfront buy that. Or just get the normal version and wait for the DLC to be released.

Also, online play is blind pick so no counter picks.

Azar

Game's a lot of fun. I prefer the mechanics of MvC2 and the like with fast swap-ins and assists, but this game has a unique identity that I can pick up on even being pretty terrible at Street Fighter. I really enjoy Julia and Law even though I have never played and don't care about Tekken at all.

Load times are noticeably long on the PS3 version. Wondering how much an install will mitigate that, and the drive speed difference between the Xbox and PS3 would be noticeable.

Makoto

7sBXZ.png

There wouldn't happen to be an option to prevent us from seeing other players' customization, would there? All this "let's invert the colors of the characters" customization makes me want to barf.

V_Arnold

There wouldn't happen to be an option to prevent us from seeing other players' customization, would there? All this "let's invert the colors of the characters" customization makes me want to barf.

All the more reason to beat them up badly, right? ;)

SoulFist

7sBXZ.png

I'm not sure but that would be nice. Not looking forward to seeing some of the more horrendous colors people will use to troll.

notworksafe

7sBXZ.png

Blame Capcom. Their color edit mode is shameful. The color choice for each part of a character are P1 color, P2 color, black, and white. WTF is the point? (other than selling color DLC)

Tizoc

@J-P yes you can.

Blame Capcom. Their color edit mode is shameful. The color choice for each part of a character are P1 color, P2 color, black, and white. WTF is the point? (other than selling color DLC)

The Customization Colors DLC are free apparently.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Word. Even if they wanted to sell more through DLC they should've given us a bit more selection for colors from the get go, I mean damn...

LowParry

I was going to get this game day 1, but have decided to get Twisted Metal instead. Will wait for the 12 DLC characters to get released as a special bundle deal, and buy the game used. I am not too bothered though as I will have Twisted MEtal to keep me busy, and Diablo 3 may come out on April 17th.

So much wrong with this statement. lol

notworksafe

Apparently you haven't seen the abominations crated in KOF 13.

Eh, people have bad taste. It happens. But at least people have the chance to make colorful ugly characters in KOF and SC5. Capcom puts in a color edit mode but makes the only available colors black and white. SMH

Top Bottom