• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad - Cast Photo (In Costume)

This one?

tumblr_mtnt7pCdnU1siqntao9_500.gif
lol..looks like some shit Freakazoid would do.

MrChom

This one?

tumblr_mtnt7pCdnU1siqntao9_500.gif

There's a difference between a couple of scenes in a negligee (for a wonderful multi-level pun/innuendo), and sticking her in booty shorts with "Lucky You" above her crotch, a jacket reading "Property of Joker", and high heels she should barely be able to totter around in.

It's almost the same difference as between the good Carry On films and the bad ones. The good ones had innuendo, terrible puns, and the occasional dirty laugh, the bad ones just had tits replacing these.

Maggie is going to look good no matter what Malibu Harley Dream House getup they use. I want to hear her voice. If she can nail the cadence in Harley's voice that's all that matters to me. If she has this over the top intentionally cheesey cartoon voice it will be distracting, and I'll be a sad clown.

This guy. You know what I mean. And to be fair they treat that as ridiculous because she wants to have sex but Joker is too busy planning how to kill Batman. Fantastic story.

Point being she's always been sexualized. I grabbed one of the more pointed GIFs, sure, but it's always been a facet of hers.

There's a difference between a couple of scenes in a negligee (for a wonderful multi-level pun/innuendo), and sticking her in booty shorts with "Lucky You" above her crotch, a jacket reading "Property of Joker", and high heels she should barely be able to totter around in.

It's almost the same difference as between the good Carry On films and the bad ones. The good ones had innuendo, terrible puns, and the occasional dirty laugh, the bad ones just had tits replacing these.

"Property of Joker" is a bit on the nose but that's not a new characterization for her by any stretch. Also, Margot walks perfectly capably in heels as do many women. I could sort of understand that kind of white knighting if this were a cartoon or game, but it's not. There's a real woman out there walking around in those shoes just like lots of other real women do. Don't tell her what she can't do.

I don't get this. Harley has always been sexualized. Since her first appearance.

That's true but now it's just getting ridiculous. It just feels super on the nose and in your face. I dunno, I'm a big fan of the character and I'm sure Margot will be fantastic. I just don't like the design of her here and in her current series.

Saya

That's true but now it's just getting ridiculous. It just feels super on the nose and in your face. I dunno, I'm a big fan of the character and I'm sure Margot will be fantastic. I just don't like the design of her here and in her current series.

Yeah, I guess to each their own and I can see how it might be too much for someone. Personally, I'm looking forward to finally seeing a live-action version of Harley on the big screen. We haven't really seen a character like her before in live-action films I think. And there are rumours that she will wear different outfits throughout the film so perhaps this is only one of them. Hopefully there will be another design that you'll like more later on. :)

NEO0MJ

Hmm...

You turned your back and I wrecked your world. Fucking wrecked it. Deprived your people of their powers, their hopes, their future, the useless slags. What will you do when your friends, your enemies, your lover, are all fucking Darkseid, right? When there is one body. One mind. One will. One life,.like, that is Darkseid, mate. Will you be the enemy of all existence, then? What irony that will be, me old Son of Krypton. Right up your alley, son.

I'd be down for that.

This post didn't get enough credit.

DeathyBoy

Banned
We will never be friends.

But... but... but...

icarussword.gif

I loved Smallville, but anyone criticising THOSE Suicide Squad costumes has not had to sit and watch a WB/CW show with less and less money every year try and come up with superhero/supervillain costumes and fail with style every, single, time.

MrChom

Yup.

But then again...that's been DC being DC in the last few years. They've tried to change with the new Batgirl/Powergirl (Because, hey, Ms Marvel's popular, we should totally do that), but then you look at Starfire in the new 52, or the Harley competition where they asked you to draw her in the bath, or the unbelievably bad nerdbait that occured with catwoman early on.

I don't mind sex being used to sell. I don't mind skimpy costumes. I buy Sunstone (NSFW, do not google that at work, I'm warning you!) for god's sake! But at the same time I look at some of this and go "....why?" I mean, Harley in Injustice, I love some of the lines they give her, especially when she talks about her daughter. She's still being fun about it, especially with the cars in tutus...but at the same time being incredibly human. Or the scene with her delivering a muzzle to Canary in the hospital, another great set of lines...but she turns up in cut-off denim booty shorts and a thong. The denim shorts have been a thing forever (In TAS she wore them while rollerskating after getting out or Arkham) but was it really necessary to make them even smaller AND put the thong on display?

The armor would actually be ok, but the mask is terrible! Especially the red eye. Jesus, it looks so cheap.

Tbf I would prefer his metal looking mask to the fabric one, but I'm just glad he's getting a mask at all.

But... but... but...

icarussword.gif

I loved Smallville, but anyone criticising THOSE Suicide Squad costumes has not had to sit and watch a WB/CW show with less and less money every year try and come up with superhero/supervillain costumes and fail with style every, single, time.

Q_Q

At least they made Green Arrow look cool.

But... but... but...

icarussword.gif

Superman t-shirt was great

Kouichi

https://scontent-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11188331_10155425076730161_6632703933412179985_n.jpg?oh=53ed9a06a2967fe75fc84130babc1de9&oe=55DE6BC0 [/IMG

I can't get on board with this.

[IMG]http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/36800000/Floyd-Lawton-arrow-36898637-499-750.jpg [/IMG

THIS is my Deadshot.[/QUOTE]

Dude I love CW Deadshot and he's part of the reason I started reading Deadshot/Suicide Squad comics and falling even more in love with the character, but you must be insane if you think CW Deadshot looks better than that GOAT Deadshot costume Will is wearing.

KalBalboa

Banned
I sacrificed myself and clicked through the gallery

90% of it are bad photoshops. Two of them just planting Margot Robbie onto them Arkham City model. Yeah, no.

Wait, wait, wait.

You mean to tell me that an article on the internet manufactured false negativity in order to gain hype-clicks?

Ithil

I'm all for this becoming the go-to gif every time something starts the Marvel vs DC bullshit.

In which case please get a proper quality, non-tumblr version. People are still using that 2 FPS yellow filter version of "perfection" from First Class for some reason.

Pilgrimzero

Point being she's always been sexualized. I grabbed one of the more pointed GIFs, sure, but it's always been a facet of hers.

"Property of Joker" is a bit on the nose but that's not a new characterization for her by any stretch. Also, Margot walks perfectly capably in heels as do many women. I could sort of understand that kind of white knighting if this were a cartoon or game, but it's not. There's a real woman out there walking around in those shoes just like lots of other real women do. Don't tell her what she can't do.

How does she jump around. Flip, tumble, or heck just move quickly, and fight in high heels?

Is she supposed to just stand in one spot and wait for someone to come into bat swinging range?

DeathyBoy

Banned
How does she jump around. Flip, tumble, or heck just move quickly, and fight in high heels?

Is she supposed to just stand in one spot and wait for someone to come into bat swinging range?

How does she do half the shit she does in the comics? She bounces around like Captain America on steroids. While wearing a costume that'd cut off her air supply it's so damn tight.

Just gotta roll with the fact that anyone who wears a superhero/supervillain costume can do shit that is not possible, regardless of their footwear.

After thinking more about it, yeah definitely think Katana will die.
Why cast someone with zero acting credits if you have any real opportunities for her.
Gives them a semi-known hero who could easily be killed for edgy shock value with no repercussion to the DCCU, also a bit more diversity.

Sadly see her getting killed by Joker which brings Batman in directly.

Why cast someone with zero acting credits if you have any real opportunities for her.
Gives them a semi-known hero who could easily be killed for edgy shock value with no repercussion to the DCCU, also a bit more diversity.

I dunno. Katana is hot stuff over at DC these days, and it's not like unknown actors have never landed big roles before. I could see her making it.

strafer

what if they kill the joker? No one even knows who he is.

a nobody

Eh, the fact that she's not a huge actor proves nothing when you consider they also cast an inexperienced actor for Cyborg. Cyborg and Katana have a lot in common. They're both minority characters and have both been pushed by DC a LOT recently. If anything it feels like they want to make the characters come in to their own rather than having people go "OMG KATANAS THAT CHICK FROM THAT OTHER MOVIE". I feel that Katana will survive and will be used in other movies further down the line (Hello Outsiders).

DeathyBoy

Banned
Eh, the fact that she's not a huge actor proves nothing when you consider they also cast an inexperienced actor for Cyborg. Cyborg and Katana have a lot in common. They're both minority characters and have both been pushed by DC a LOT recently. If anything it feels like they want to make the characters come in to their own rather than having people go "OMG KATANAS THAT CHICK FROM THAT OTHER MOVIE". I feel that Katana will survive and will be used in other movies further down the line (Hello Outsiders).

This is the brilliance of casting Will Smith - him in a superhero film is a draw. So you can cast the other roles with interesting actors rather than names.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
these terrible sites are practically living thanks to DC and their shitty clickbait articles about DC.

The horror if DC starts producing good films, the horror man, what will they talk about? think about their clickbait shit!

Penguin

these terrible sites are practically living thanks to DC and their shitty clickbait articles about DC.

The horror if DC starts producing good films, the horror man, what will they talk about? think about their clickbait shit!

They'll flip the script.

Already planting seeds with the superhero movie fatigue and Marvel being formulaic. Got to keep feeding the rage-machine.

Speaking of, interesting discussion going on Twitter (I know!) with Gail Simone and others about how she thinks Harley will be the break-out of the movie, and trying to explain to people that Harley doesn't need to be a role-model for girls to be a break-out.

It is true though, you never really question when like The Punisher or Ghost Rider are marketed towards young boys.

Speaking of, interesting discussion going on Twitter (I know!) with Gail Simone and others about how she thinks Harley will be the break-out of the movie, and trying to explain to people that Harley doesn't need to be a role-model for girls to be a break-out.

It is true though, you never really question when like The Punisher or Ghost Rider are marketed towards young boys.

It's absolutely true. It's kind of a strange expectation to make a villain a role model in the first place. Despite her dependence on the Joker, she's fully true to herself and rarely compromises for other people. She'll be exciting and have a pivotal role in the film and, if DC has any sense, the marketing and merchandising. I think Gail must have a direct line to DC film because I think she's the one who said Wonder Woman
would not be a cameo but a crucial character
in BvS

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
They'll flip the script.

Already planting seeds with the superhero movie fatigue and Marvel being formulaic. Got to keep feeding the rage-machine.

if they include stuff like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_hg5jYw8WQ

to show how crazy she is, then yes, she is going to be massive.

I don't really understand why people would see her sexualisation as a negative either. She strikes me as a character that is strongly AWARE of herself as a sexual person. Which is why she she is wearing fishnets, has a tattoo that says lucky you etc. They have 2 other female completely none sexualised and looking firmly badass, i'm just not sure she shouldn't look how she wants. If it was something like a boob-window on catwoman i'd understand completely. Am I just sounding like a jackass for thinking its ok?

Top Bottom