• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad - Cast Photo (In Costume)

They'll flip the script.

Already planting seeds with the superhero movie fatigue and Marvel being formulaic. Got to keep feeding the rage-machine.

Speaking of, interesting discussion going on Twitter (I know!) with Gail Simone and others about how she thinks Harley will be the break-out of the movie, and trying to explain to people that Harley doesn't need to be a role-model for girls to be a break-out.

It is true though, you never really question when like The Punisher or Ghost Rider are marketed towards young boys.

Man I love Gail Simone. I actually have the first three New 52 Batgirl comics she did signed by her when she did a signing up in Newcastle one time.

Off-topic I know, just really like her and her opinions. She always comes across as really level headed.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Man I love Gail Simone. I actually have the first three New 52 Batgirl comics she did signed by her when she did a signing up in Newcastle one time.

Off-topic I know, just really like her and her opinions. She always comes across as really level headed.

She comes across as a really nice person. Which is rare.

And Harley Quinn is like Deadpool - the fact she's so entertaining makes her have a large following. People don't look up to her, they just like the fact she's invariably entertaining.

They'll flip the script.

Already planting seeds with the superhero movie fatigue and Marvel being formulaic. Got to keep feeding the rage-machine.

Speaking of, interesting discussion going on Twitter (I know!) with Gail Simone and others about how she thinks Harley will be the break-out of the movie, and trying to explain to people that Harley doesn't need to be a role-model for girls to be a break-out.

It is true though, you never really question when like The Punisher or Ghost Rider are marketed towards young boys.

Maybe I'm just ignorant or naive or really tired because insomnia but I don't see why anyone would think Harley should be a role model in the first place. She's a murderous psychopath. If I ever had a daughter and she started looking up to Harley I'd sit down and have a good long talk with her, and not even because of her outfits. Same if I had a son and he looked up the Punisher. I'd tell him to go idolize Superman or something lol.

Now enjoying the character is another thing. I loved The Punisher when I was growing up but I sure didn't idolize him.

S2XXCGbl.png

sXo6DaM.png

These are awful.

Penguin

Maybe I'm just ignorant or naive or really tired because insomnia but I don't see why anyone would think Harley should be a role model in the first place. She's a murderous psychopath. If I ever had a daughter and she started looking up to Harley I'd sit down and have a good long talk with her, and not even because of her outfits. Same if I had a son and he looked up the Punisher. I'd tell him to go idolize Superman or something lol.

Now enjoying the character is another thing. I loved The Punisher when I was growing up but I sure didn't idolize him.

She's a popular female character, who gets pushed a ton by DC.

And really not a ton of them from either company so the assumption is she should be a character that young girls and women could look to to be a role-model.

And she always seems to talk in a perpetual type "come hither" tone. I hate obnoxious, low-catering titillation like this type of stuff

tE55Yv3.jpg

But I think in her case it makes sense.

Effect

The idea that Harley Quinn needs to be a role model makes no sense. Nothing about her character suggest that should be the case. Now she can and should be seen as a case study or an example of what not to do or even what one could do when she decides to get away from the abuse relationship she has with the Joker and stand on her own. As an overall role model? No. Doesn't stop her from being an interesting character and one you want to see succeed though.

The role model role should be left to Wonder Woman and those on the hero side of things.

All the sexually submissive language associated with Harley's costume is as lame as Donatello wearing taped glasses in the TMNT movies because he's a nerd.

scabro

Wow Joss is disgusting. Not only did he really make Scarlett wear that, he had her cleavage covered in baby oil. Probably did it himself too. What a pig.

ReiGun

In which case please get a proper quality, non-tumblr version. People are still using that 2 FPS yellow filter version of "perfection" from First Class for some reason.
Sometimes the lower quality makes it more effective. I'd never trade the bootleg Harry Osborn "so good" gif for anything.

Top Bottom