• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Finding dory has a 94%, while Star Trek beyond has an 84%. And that's just blockbusters, theres a lot of smaller movies that are over 90%.

Here's the RT scores for every film this summer that had a fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and made at least $25M domestic (IE only wide releases that everyone had a chance to see):

1) Finding Dory - 94%
2) Nice Guys - 91%
3) Captain America: Civil War - 90%
4) Star Trek Beyond - 84%
5) The Conjuring 2 - 80%
6) The Shallows - 77%
7) Lights Out - 76%
8) Secret Life of Pets - 75%
9) The BFG - 74%
10) Ghostbusters - 73%
11) Central Intelligence - 68%
12) Bad Moms - 63%

This summer has been pretty terrible

I feel bad that Snyder will most likely get his hands on Darkseid.

Please stop.

Look at his career.

- Watchmen
- Mos
- BvS (using ideas from Death of Superman and DKR)

Pretty evident to me he wants to be remembered as some kind of "iconic" comic book filmmaker. Basically he took the most important books on the medium and tried to make those "his".

Luke Evans is Namor if it ever happens. Dude would kill it.

And Rock should have played Shazam, though I think he'll be great as Black Adam as well. But he's more fun as the goof than he is as the badass imo. Those were always his best promos too.

3N16MA

Banned
Cyborg

Maybe it's not that DC is so bad, maybe Marvel just is that good? In last 10 years who else has been doing it that well but Marvel?

MoS was mediocre and BvS was not much better. I haven't seen SS but WB hasn't done anything to prove they have been good.

Marvel also has their fare share of mediocre films. However they also have a genuinely entertaining films.

WB not so much DC has simply been bad at this point (DCEU).

I wonder what DC's options are at this point. Clearly WB hasn't been a good fit overall for their universe, especially lately. I've spent the last few months catching up on DC storylines and their writing is so damn good. I really understand why hardcore DC fans would be bitter about how these movies are turning out but maybe something about the story/characters don't translate as well to the big screen as they should.

got my ticket for tonight...and it was free. So if it turns out to be a turd, I'll have the satisfaction of knowing I didn't pay $11 lol

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but the opening day numbers in France are pretty crazy. 307 000 tickets were sold on the first day, more than BvS, Civil War, Deapool and X-Men.

http://www.20minutes.fr/cinema/1904...ilm-symptome-machine-infernale-hollywoodienne

This is a relatively small market but it might be indicative of the worldwide opening numbers. DC movies have never done that well in France (the Nolan films did decently but nothing to write home about) so this is kind of surprising since the reviews have been pretty brutal here a well.

As BvS proved, a popular IP and/or strong marketing can buy you a huge opening weekend regardless of reviews.

As BvS also proved, those things can't buy you legs.

I wonder what DC's options are at this point. Clearly WB hasn't been a good fit overall for their universe, especially lately. I've spent the last few months catching up on DC storylines and their writing is so damn good. I really understand why hardcore DC fans would be bitter about how these movies are turning out but maybe something about the story/characters don't translate as well to the big screen as they should.

They already put their internal shakeup into effect.

The problem is that the production schedule they locked themselves into back in 2014 was so stupidly, self-destructively aggressive that we won't see any products truly of the new DCEU regime until 2018.

If Dwayne Johnson had any sense he would jump off this sinking ship and claim his rightful role as Namor the First.

Not that I am expecting Shazam! to ever be made.

Never forget.
giphy.gif

As BvS proved, a popular IP and/or strong marketing can buy you a huge opening weekend regardless of reviews.

As BvS also proved, those things can't buy you legs.

Sure, the legs might be terrible. But DC is not a popular IP here and I just find it fascinating that a movie with a bunch of d-listers (and the Joker) had a significantly better opening than a Batman and Superman movie and Avengers 2.5. The marketing campaign really did a a fantastic job of selling this film.

Fury451

Banned
If Dwayne Johnson had any sense he would jump off this sinking ship and claim his rightful role as Namor the First.

Not that I am expecting Shazam! to ever be made.

I don't expect Shazam either, but Rock would kill it as Black Adam or Captain Marvel (or Shazam or whatever he goes by now) when he was considered for both, but Namor has always been the role that seemed like a perfect fit for him.

Don't think Marvel has those rights though.

I wouldn't mind that, actually.

She has an infinitely better catchphrase than Cyborg for a start.

EAT NUTS, KICK BUTTS!!!!

I don't expect Shazam either, but Rock would kill it as Black Adam or Captain Marvel (or Shazam or whatever he goes by now) when he was considered for both, but Namor has always been the role that seemed like a perfect fit for him.

Don't think Marvel has those rights though.

It's similar to the Hulk's situation: Production rights, yes. Distribution rights, no.

rrc1594

WW is their final hope if that movie is bad all hope is lost. I already lost hope the minute Zack was chosen. He said Batman can get raped in his universe. That's when I knew shit was going down hill.

Fury451

Banned
I love how there is an editing war right now in Wikipedia over whether the film's reception was "mixed" or "negative." Its changing literally every minute.

To me, "mixed" is about 50%-65%

Being generous, you can argue 5-10 points less than 50 still counts, but a 28% is just a negative critical reception any way you want to slice it.

jett

D-Member
Here's the RT scores for every film this summer that had a fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and made at least $25M domestic (IE only wide releases that everyone had a chance to see):

1) Finding Dory - 94%
2) Nice Guys - 91%
3) Captain America: Civil War - 90%
4) Star Trek Beyond - 84%
5) The Conjuring 2 - 80%
6) The Shallows - 77%
7) Lights Out - 76%
8) Secret Life of Pets - 75%
9) The BFG - 74%
10) Ghostbusters - 73%
11) Central Intelligence - 68%
12) Bad Moms - 63%

This summer has been pretty terrible

I have watched exactly one of those movies, and I'm not particularly interested in the rest.

Papacheeks

Banned

The issue is WB has no vision, nor do they have a kevin feige to help outline these movies for them. Man of steel missed what was most important which was clark/superman's duality and living with all that power and not being able to save everyone.

That's his flaw as a character in the comics, maybe not most recent, but overall he's this powerful guy, who had great foster parents that were good impressions on him. And he took that even further by being self sacrificing a lot of the times without hesitation.

Which is why captain america get's brought up 20 or so pages back. You know the dark/semi real tones they were trying with the kents, and how they were trying to shield clark would have had more impact if he proved them wrong. That if there was something to be done, a bus of kids drowning, a boatload of men fighting kryptonians, or a city under siege by a machine and a mad general, he would save them and do everything possible or die trying.

But that movie was a mess, there was so much potential to have a emotional connection with Zod as almost a family member of the house of El, but was squandered because of a bad script, and bad character writing.

Clark had a happy upbringing on the kent farm why do you have to make his past tragic? He's not batman, which was the whole point of Worlds finest. One had a pretty good childhood with parents who were there for him and supported him regardless of his differences. Then you had Bruce who watched his parents murdered for a measly couple of dollars and pearl necklace. Then had to half raise himself with his butler who all he knew was to help educate and channel bruces rage for what happened to his family.

Like that's the whole point of worlds finest in character arc and differences, batman comes forma dark place of pain, injustuce, while supes is the boyscout, both learn from each other. Batman sees he doesn't have to just be the man distilling fear into the criminals he can also be someone people can look up to. Superman will learn the world isn't so black and grey, and that there are mad, evil men on the planet that sometimes, can't be reasoned with.

At the theater right now... first time i see a superhero film premiere empty as this in my country... :/. I was expecting a lot of people.

Oddduck

National Post review

Bad movies can be laugh riots, howlers, like shoddy horror pictures or inane science-fiction, to be indulged in or cackled through or suffered with glee. Bad movies are often likeable, or somehow charming, or else might endear themselves to you with personality or ambition, like, say, Southland Tales or Jupiter Ascending.

Whereas a bad time at the movies only brings despair. A bad time at the movies isn’t droll or chucklesome or ironically diverting ‒ it’s just miserable.

Suicide Squad is the most miserable time I've had at the movies in my life.

A moviegoing experience this execrable ‒ this soul-searchingly unpleasant, this watch-checkingly dull, this corporate-restructuringly ill-conceived ‒ practically implores you to assign blame, as I imagine somebody in a position of authority over the people responsible for making the film will.

We might look to DC Films, who refuse to let a total lack of creativity or talent interfere in their aspiration to cultivate a multi-billion-dollar blockbuster universe of interlocking comic book adaptations. We might look to Warner Bros., whose confidence in that universe, eroded by the response to Batman v Superman earlier this summer, provoked a cataract of last-minute “refinements” to a film they feared would likewise flounder.

We might look to the director, David Ayer, who can’t direct. Or we might look beyond the symptoms and to the festering, implacable disease: our interest in superheroes, which has gone from unhealthy to terminal, from amusing fantasies to whatever nightmare this is.

There was a time, I’m fairly certain, when going to the movies was something you did to feel good for two hours rather than disconsolate and woebegone. It was way back when movies aspired to the condition of joy, bliss and high spirits rather than faux-punk misery, lurid special effects and a whole lot of noise. But that’s the effect Suicide Squad has.

It’s such a profoundly bad time at the movies that you wonder if you ever had a good time at them before, or whether you’re likely to have a good time at them again. Here’s hoping.

Salsa

I really am surprised at Ayer owning up to it so much and saying this is 100% the movie he wanted to make and all that

dude directed some good ass films

fuckin weird

I really am surprised at Ayer owning up to it so much and saying this is 100% the movie he wanted to make and all that

fuckin weird

It feels like he's protecting someone. Who or why we'll probably never know.

Edit: And Happy Birthday Bronson, you little Rudiger you!

3N16MA

Banned

fuckin weird

Doubt he is going to throw the studio under the bus and cause a problem during the opening week of his film.

He will take one for the team.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Did Nice Guys only make 36 million at the boxoffice? Damn, that is sad. That movie was great. Owh and it was from WB, lol they can't catch a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom