• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might be one of the few times reviews talk me out of seeing a film I was interested in. I hated BvS, and I'm really not up for sitting through another mess.
That is how I am. Talked my wife into seeing it Friday night, but once the flood of negative reviews began, we both agreed we didn't need to willingly punish ourselves like we did with BvS. The wound still hasn't healed from that, and I don't need it reopened.
Maybe I will just watch some of the CWverse DC shoes this weekend to get my fix.

aBarreras

captain-america-civil-war-team-iron-man-ageofsuperheroes.gif

Nothing touches CW except the Avengers.

nah, avengers and CW relies on every movie before them. GotG shines on its own, thats why is so great

HotHamBoy

GotG is so much better than CW

I liked Civil War. It made me laugh. It's not perfect at all but it's pretty engaging.

Guardians was okay. Pretty mediocre. I didn't like any of the characters and none of it was funny. Way too long. The movie has a lot of plot and character motivation issues.

TWS and GotG are better than CW.

TWS benefits from a much smaller cast and a tighter narrative, definitely. GotG... I guess I don't get the appeal. Everything about it seems so contrived to be "cool" and "whacky." It all fell really flat for me.

Dahbomb

This movie was definitely a mess. I actually think the editing in this is worse than in BvS. Felt like WB got positive feedback from the first trailer and was like "yeah make the whole movie like that". I rolled my eyes after the 10th time some random song started playing in the background.

It's too bad because I liked some of the performances and characters in the movie.

captain-america-civil-war-team-iron-man-ageofsuperheroes.gif

Nothing touches CW except the Avengers.

I imagine Starlord flying past this comment and going "aw, that's adorable", before blasting the shit out of it. CW is kind of just.. there, though it's a nice Iron Man 4, I suppose. GotG is on a whole different level compared to CW. A much, much more advanced level if we're brutally honest.

You're basically comparing Star Trek 2009 with Star trek Beyond, where the question of 'which is better' isn't a question at all. It's Beyond, of course. The writing quality is leagues apart.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
it was a movie. it happened. it was okay.
see it as cheaply as possible, like on tuesday.

it's not the worst, but certainly far from great.

reliance on pop music was too much imo, great choice of songs, but repetitive and old hat by the time the movie got going.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I like how Scott Eastwood might as well have been an extra. Did they ever say his character's name?

I imagine Starlord flying past this comment and going "aw, that's adorable", before blasting the shit out of it. CW is kind of just.. there, though it's a nice Iron Man 4, I suppose. GotG is on a whole different level compared to CW. A much, much more advanced level if we're brutally honest.

You're basically comparing Star Trek 2009 with Star trek Beyond, where the question of 'which is better' isn't a question at all. It's Beyond, of course. The writing quality is leagues apart.

Really? I love GotG as well, and it's definitely up there as one of my favorite Marvel movies. But writing is not something I was impressed by. In fact, on rewatches, it's the thing that consistently stands out as being one of the weakest aspects of the movie.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I was someone that actually liked BvS a good deal and I didn't enjoy this much overall. While Harley and Deadshot were well acted and the action sequences pretty cool, the poor script and bizarre pacing early on really hurts the film. There's some good ideas, just really sloppy execution.

I also did not like Leto as Joker and think it's a real bummer that the DC CU is stuck with him since Afflec is awesome as Batman.

DOWN

Banned
I hate comic books and yet D.C. always seems like it has the most potential to be truly great, mature, imaginative films for me and it just keeps falling short for most people. I liked Watchmen, Nolan Batman, and thought Man of Steel was better than most comic book movies due to its style and mood.

I hope they hit their stride next time.

Shang

This might be one of the few times reviews talk me out of seeing a film I was interested in. I hated BvS, and I'm really not up for sitting through another mess.

It's a messy script, but it's not as bloated and nonsensical as BvS, which is funny, considering there are way more new elements to introduce. Plus it's pretty good fun to boot.

EDIT: If anyone knows-- were these movies expedited to compete with Marvel? I mean, I would assume, especially since both BvS and this have a lack of polish.

Really? I love GotG as well, and it's definitely up there as one of my favorite Marvel movies. But writing is not something I was impressed by. In fact, on rewatches, it's the thing that consistently stands out as being one of the weakest aspects of the movie.

watch for characterization into structure, not just the plot. The potato plot is weak, yes, but the characters are not. The fact that the music in the movie itself is characterization is superb writing, even if some of that might be changed in post. But as far as we know watching it, those steps are written, and they manage to make a theme work out of characters, one of them being a CGI raccoon of all things, that we can actually care about.

CW or any other Avengers is by comparison not that well-structured. It does have a wackier, more complex action moment with the airport fight though.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I just noticed... are all marvel major fights in broad day or well lit? And all DC major fights at night?

Sojgat

Saw it.

Seems like a decent movie that got butchered. Someone at WB must have told the editors to make it more like Guardians. They even use some of the same music at points. Was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting though.

Worst part is Leto. He seems to be playing Johnny Depp playing Drexl Spivey from True Romance in Joker cosplay. Just awful.

^^^ Glad to hear you agree with me

Is Green Lantern part of the DC high-20s Cinematic Universe. It's amazing how consistent they are.

Fury451

Banned
^^^ Glad to hear you agree with me

Is Green Lantern part of the DC high-20s Cinematic Universe. It's amazing how consistent they are.

It was supposed to launch their universe, with a sprawling Green Lantern Corps trilogy.

Then they scrapped the idea after it was critically thrashed and tepidly recieved and rebooted the concept with Man of Steel to launch a new and critically approved DCCU. Oops.

So it's 4 movies now that have tried to have a do-over and REALLY launch the coveted DC cinematic universe only to get trashed by critics (Green Lantern, Man of Steel, Batman v. Superman, and now Suicide Squad).

PBY

Banned
Just got home from the theater.

This is the worst superhero movie in the past couple of years. More than anything was shocked at how brutally boring it is. It's just bad.

Cuburt

All this GotG love.

Too bad all the pop songs in the world couldn't help DC pull off their love letter to that film.

I hope David Ayer at least sent James Gunn a nice gift basket of scented soaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom