• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prompto

Banned
I get BvS but why do people think Fantastic 4 affected Civil War's box office? It was released nearly a year before and no one saw it.

LosDaddie

Banned
It played a factor (as did Fant4shit) but a bigger factor is this year as a whole has ended up stunted at the box-office, especially compared to last year. Hindsight is 20/20 and Civil War's 1.15B looks a whole lot more impressive this year looking back. There are other factors to of course.

I think the biggest factor is that Civil War is a Capt America movie. Not an Avengers movie.

If any movie had a real impact on CW, then I'd say it was AoU not setting the world on fire like Avengers did.

BLACKLAC

So... is it me or /r/DC_Cinematic dislikes this movie more than Gaf?

I don't see how FF played much of a factor, everyone knew it wasn't Marvel and that was why it sold so badly
BvS and Civil War had similar themes and released very closely, so close that BvS was extremely fresh on everyone's mind, and seeing as BvS covered the theme very badly I see this affecting Civil War significantly

imo Civil War being more serious and less of a romp cut some potential. No Hulk (and to a lesser degree Thor) as well.

People had no idea how bad this year would be at the box-office. Though Disney is thriving.

I think the biggest factor is that Civil War is a Capt America movie. Not an Avengers movie.

Agreed.

If any movie had a real impact on CW, then I'd say it was AoU not setting the world on fire like Avengers did.

I can see that. I think they recovered pretty damn impressively from that though, Spidey and Ant-man helped.

i just saw it and absolutely hated it. So sloppy, and jared letos joker was ridiculously bad imo

A few of the characters were great through. Harley was really good, and El Diablo(who I knew absolutely nothing about before seeing this). If only they were in a good movie

Slayven

imo Civil War being more serious and less of a romp cut some potential. No Hulk (and to a lesser degree Thor) as well.

People had no idea how bad this year would be. Though Disney is thriving.

But that Black Panther and Spiderman though. Civil War set them up for that ally opp

Fant4stic probly had a larger impact on Civil War's box office than BvS, and neither one likely moved the needle more than slightly.

OinPpqe.png

No one even saw that shit and it came out almost a year earlier.

BvS without doubt had more impact.

There is no doubt.

I imagine $1B was the absolute floor WB thought BvS would do. Coming up $100M short of that has them in panic mode.
For real, you can't tell me they didn't expect to hit a Billion with the Trinity appearing in a movie together. They fell well short of that mark while Nolan hit that mark twice. BvS wasn't a bomb but it had to be a disappointment.

Timu

Just saw it, Deadshot and Harley Quinn are the best things about it. Everything else ranges from ok to awful! Sometimes I felt a bit bored, though it has it moments here and there.

Man of Steel is still the best DCEU movie to date.

Astral

I didn't hate it but I definitely didn't like it and would never watch it again. The characters didn't feel like characters except for Deadshot, Harley, and maybe Flag. The rest were just kinda there. Killer Croc was especially bad. It felt like his whole shtick was "he's a big black guy." The
BET request
was just...wow. Will Smith was great most of the time and Margot was ok as Harley. Leto as the Joker though? Hated him. He comes off as a tryhard glorified gangster. It's not intimidating in the slightest. Why is he always growling? Idk what Leto was even going for with him. His laugh was every bit as bad as it was in the trailers. Speaking of trailers, remember the chase scene and how everyone thought it was edited and cut down? It wasn't. It was that poorly edited. The whole first 30 or so minutes we're just very choppy. The film fortunately recovers from this eventually.

The best thing I can say about it is that it's not boring. BvS almost put me to sleep but as bad as this was, it wasn't boring. It wasn't that entertaining but it'll at least hold your attention.

Deadshot was great. I'd watch a Deadshot spin-off. Whoever boomerang dude is got some laughs from me, I enjoyed his ridiculousness

Everyone else was boring or bad. No interesting characters. Why should I give a shit about any of these people? I just found Harley annoying to be honest, I have no idea if that's just how the character is but she did nothing for me

Speaking of Harley, my audience was really fucking pervy or something because every time there was a shot of her from behind (and even when she was introduced) the men in the theater would hoot and catcall. It just made the viewing experience really uncomfortable.

The tone of the movie was super weird. So many overused soundtrack songs played for 30 seconds at a time for no reason only to cut to another one. Then in the second half they mostly just disappear entirely as it gets more serious and tries to go dramatic

I have lots of questions about things that I'll post in the spoiler thread but...yeah. I can't recommend this

Just got out. You've got a wonderful set of characters (Joker included imo) surrounded by a shit-tier movie. I don't regret seeing it but I hope this cast can get the movie they deserve in the future.

npanciroli

Neo Member
I straight up enjoyed it. Deadshot was awesome, humour was good but movie kept it's serious tone. Joker was okay, last 30 min a bit lame and i wish it was more violent. First half a 10/10 second half a 6/10.

MoS 6.5/10
BvS 7/10
SS 8/10

For reference, Guardians of the Galaxy 9.5/10. Civil War 8/10.

Just got out. You've got a wonderful set of characters (Joker included imo) surrounded by a shit-tier movie. I don't regret seeing it but I hope this cast can get the movie they deserve in the future.

In fewer words, those are my thoughts. Overall I didn't like it, but it's frustrating more than anything because nearly all the characters are good to great. If WB ever stops meddling with these films, or maybe they give it to a bold filmmaker who is willing to be bold, I'd take a Suicide Squad 2.

How do you report users for posting piracy?

I straight up enjoyed it. Deadshot was awesome, humour was good but movie kept it's serious tone. Joker was okay, last 30 min a bit lame and i wish it was more violent. First half a 10/10 second half a 6/10.

MoS 6.5/10
BvS 7/10
SS 8/10

For reference, Guardians of the Galaxy 9.5/10. Civil War 8/10.

Silently adds npanciroli to the "You are dead to me" list

Speaking of Harley, my audience was really fucking pervy or something because every time there was a shot of her from behind (and even when she was introduced) the men in the theater would hoot and catcall. It just made the viewing experience really uncomfortable.

Dude next to me in the theater was going "yeaaah" or moaning anytime Margot Robbie's ass was on screen.
The fedora hat culture is out in full force for this one. THANKS WB

I just got back from seeing it. It was ok, not as bad as the tomato meter is showing but it isn't a good movie. Will Smith was the best thing about the movie. Harley was fun but I hated, and I mean hated, the joker. He was just being weird for the sake of being weird. There was nothing more to him other then how weird he was.

Anyway I think the movie show be closer to a 50 on rt. It was fun in places but other places felt try hard. Also I liked the music at first but after a while it got on my nerves.

Papacheeks

Banned
Because is a good movie? Not that really hard to grasp.

Ghostbusters was complete garbage, SS actually represents most of its source material well. Ghostbusters was like watching pixels with bridesmaids bad humor and a queefing joke. And bridesmaids was way more entertaining than that piece of shit film.

I just got back from seeing it. It was ok, not as bad as the tomato meter is showing but it isn't a good movie. Will Smith was the best thing about the movie. Harley was fun but I hated, and I mean hated, the joker. He was just being weird for the sake of being weird. There was nothing more to him other then how weird he was.

Anyway I think the movie show be closer to a 50 on rt. It was fun in places but other places felt try hard. Also I liked the music at first but after a while it got on my nerves.

Your review would be counted as negative on RT (bringing its % even lower) and your assessment of about 5/10 matches up with the average critic score almost exactly. You don't disagree with the consensus. :p

Just got back after watching the movie. I'm convinced critics are never ever going to appreciate DC, it's characters and the tone the current DCEU is taking. All I have for those who bashed the movie in RottTomat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EG6apxGWqw

Anyways, tonally it's not as dark and serious as BVS(which is a little disappointing) and it's not entirely over the top fun. It's somewhere in the middle. Will Smith nailed it as Deadshot, had fanboy moments seeing Batfleck in the movie during certain moments. Wish they could've gone a different route with the script, regarding who the villain has to be. One thing which is crucial for movies like this is the dialogues, and I could hardly understand what the hell Joker was saying. He was there, he looked crazy, but i couldn't understand what crazy things was he saying during his moments in the film. DC needs to hire a good dialogue writer to keep the flow going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom