• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot stand when Joe does the "what's wrong with other critics" bit.

Joe's just a dude that likes nerdy shit enough to make videos about it and post it on the internet. I understand why people like him but he's no more insightful than the average GAF poster.

More on topic; just got back from an advance screening and I don't really even know what to say that hasn't been said. I have no stake in either franchise and certainly can't claim to be invested in comics, but DC needs to take a step back from this and figure out what they really want to do with their properties. Suicide Squad and BvS are by far some of the worst films I've seen in the past decade.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
What does he mean here?

UTqyV9s.png

Also, this is such a dumb and completely un-selfaware thing to say.
6enxxSy.png

Juanfp

Just watched it. I think the critics were a little harsh on the movie, it was not good or bad, I would put it in a "ok" level. But leto's joker was so bad, he was just a type of bad gangster, the only he had of jker was the name.

All I can say is I really enjoyed it

It was what was advertised in the trailers (without actually giving away plot details, such as the main antagonist).

It reminded me of a sort of mix of Deadpool and Hellboy. It has the scope of Deadpool (not the humor) with the more contained plot and limited locations, while bouncing between origin stuff similarly, with art and special effects that really reminded me of Hellboy

I don't really care if someone wants to call it mediocre but "trainwreck", get over yourself.

I really liked the characters. Aside from a couple of Harley lines (killer app) she was what I figured she'd be

Einchy

I don't really care if someone wants to call it mediocre but "trainwreck", get over yourself.

The first arc was definitely a trainwreck.

It was even messier than BvS's with all the flashbacks strung together and all the terrible use of music, that thing needs to be re-edited badly.

samn

All I can say is I really enjoyed it

It was what was advertised in the trailers (without actually giving away plot details, such as the main antagonist).

It reminded me of a sort of mix of Deadpool and Hellboy. It has the scope of Deadpool (not the humor) with the more contained plot and limited locations, while bouncing between origin stuff similarly, with art and special effects that really reminded me of Hellboy

I really liked the characters. Aside from a couple of Harley lines (killer app) she was what I figured she'd be

You wanna call it a 5/10 fine I can respect that

you wanna call it a 2/10 WELL THAT'S NOT ALLOWED BUDDY, GET OUTTA HEEEERE

Flash movie is going to be, according to Faraci, a buddy movie with Cyborg. So I could see Cyborg still happening with a lot of Flash in it.

Yeah, I am not very optimistic towards WW and JL. Better to find it shitty before the movie comes out than hype it up. Because I know the trailers will be awesome. Gotta resist that.

JimiNutz

Banned
I never really understood why RT is supposedly the best measure of critical success.
Surely looking at something like Metacritic would be better since it gives an average score?

Suicide Squad is 41 there which means it's just below average (50) and on that site that counts as mixed reviews rather than poor reviews...

I never really understood why RT is supposedly the best measure of critical success.
Surely looking at something like Metacritic would be better since it gives an average score?

Suicide Squad is 41 there which means it's just below average (50) and on that site that counts as mixed reviews rather than poor reviews...

That actually lines up pretty well with average rating on RT (4.8/10)

Einchy

I like RT because it just lets me know if a movie is good or bad and if it's got a super high rating, then it pretty much always means that the movie is also great.

Don't really care if a movie is a 6 or a 7, just tell me if it's worth watching and I'll see how much I like it.

[edit]

Like when I see a 60% percent movie, I don't think that it's a 6/10, I think that more than half of the people who saw it liked it so there's a good chance I will too.

Aske

I hated BvS, and I loved Suicide Squad. Stayed away from reviews/impressions until now; genuinely surprised so many people didn't like it.

I thought Leto's Joker was masterful: a smart take on the character that beautifully combined elements of Mark Hamil's and Heath Ledger's interpretations, mixing them with something new to create a Joker who felt fresh yet familiar. It's interesting to see the Joker so youthful, but the boyishness adds to the weirdness rather than detracts from it. Can't wait to see more of him. His appearances are mostly a tease in SS, but you get enough of him to feel satiated.

It wasn't a perfect movie by any means, but the handful of cringey moments were more than counter-balanced by several neat touches that I felt went above and beyond. I enjoyed it far more than Guardians, and as someone who loves all the MCU stuff in general, I felt SS was a good deal better than, say, Age of Ultron, IM3, or Thor 2.

For me, this is the first decent DC movie since TDK. On balance, I enjoyed the animated SS movie (Batman: Assault on Arkham) more as a whole; but even if the live action take on the story does nothing but provide window dressing for the Joker and Harley, it's more than worth the price of admission.

Harmen

To be honest, Joe and Jahns liking it might mean I can dig this thing as well. Still not going to the cinema though, since there are about a dozen of things I can spend money on that I am relatively sure I will like.

41 is not a good score at all. Okay, 50 may be considered an average score on the site as there are many low graded films out there, but a 4 out of 10 on average is simply bad.

Like when I see a 60% percent movie, I don't think that it's a 6/10, I think that more than half of the people who saw it liked it so there's a good chance I will too.

Yup exactly. That's why it's valued. I need a thumbs up or a thumbs down. I don't consider the actual scores to be very meaningful, even from critics I really respect.

JimiNutz

Banned
41 is not a good score at all. Okay, 50 may be considered an average score on the site as there are many low graded films out there, but a 4 out of 10 on average is simply bad.

Oh it's not good and I didn't suggest it was a good score.
Just pointing out that a score of 41 is considered mixed reviews rather than poor reviews (on Metacritic anyway).

Protome

I'm still cautiously optimistic about seeing this tonight. I've enjoyed movies with similar issues before.

Yeah but it's the 'fresh' percentage that seems to get all of the headlines.
Seems like the average rating is a better measure?
Depends on if you prefer a rating based on whether a reviewer enjoyed the movie or not, or a rating based on the arbitrary number reviewers attached to their reviews.

They are both only useful at the most shallow of levels.

Whatever floats your boat. For the average person, RT just roughly indicate he likelihood of them enjoying it.

Yep, that's why it's so great for me. And it generally has been pretty on point as well.

For an actual assessment of the movie, I'd much rather read reviews from those with similar tastes to mine.

- J - D -

I just watched a Collider review for this and one of the reviewers invoked the Blade Runner reception argument in defense of Suicide Squad.

Who knows, maybe this movie will be seen as a genre masterpiece in 20 years.

I just watched a Collider review for this and one of the reviewers invoked the Blade Runner reception argument in defense of Suicide Squad.

Except there were things to like right off the bat from that movie.

This has nothing. Best parts are the actual actors--Will & Margot, but I've seen a better film where they actually act on their chemistry.

None of the action, plot, atmosphere, cinematography, editing or final fight was worth anything. Joker...there's not actually enough of him to make a call. Anyone who's seen Mad Love, Harlequinade, BB:ROTJ gets why Harley will never leave him, even with the darker side of their relationship.

God this was terrible.

Doubt it. Seeing this tomorrow, although I do think BvS will be remembered more fondly than "5/10" once it's filed away into historical context.

Doubt it. Seeing this tomorrow, although I do think BvS will be remembered more fondly than "5/10" once it's filed away into historical context.

I'm of the opposite opinion. I think it'll either be remembered the same or worse.

Especially if DC manages to put out a good movie serving as a point of comparison.

EGM1966

Are people serious with this "put Nolan in charge" stuff?
I don't really want to see that happen but c'mon it's pretty justifiable thinking.

Look at box office and reviews for his DC films then look at everything since.

Since he rebooted Batman successfully for DC nobody else has come close to matching his results.

That said I prefer him delivering individual and original films and wouldn't want him tied up overseeing DCs cinematic Universe. I'm not sure he'd be right for the role either despite his good work with Batman.

emrober5

Haven't seen it yet, going after work today. But Warners needs to stop this meddling bullshit. I am already looking forwards to an Ultimate Edition (hopefully) after hearing about all these cuts and editing issues.

Haven't seen it yet, going after work today. But Warners needs to stop this meddling bullshit. I am already looking forwards to an Ultimate Edition (hopefully) after hearing about all these cuts and editing issues.

I guess the director has already stated that the theatrical cut is his cut. I don't think a recut is happening.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Sometimes they have to meddle. I know we all like to believe that the director always knows best, but sometimes they don't. The script was written in 6 weeks...I mean, it was going to need to be cleaned up at some point.

Sometimes they have to meddle. I know we all like to believe that the director always knows best, but sometimes they don't. The script was written in 6 weeks...I mean, it was going to need to be cleaned up at some point.

David Ayer never knows best.

Honestly though I do wish BvS had less WB meddling in it. I enjoyed the ultimate cut to a certain extent and I think the movie would have been even better off without the Justice League teases being shoehorned in or such a hacked up job of cutting clark's scenes in the theatrical edition.

- J - D -

Except there were things to like right off the bat from that movie.

This has nothing. Best parts are the actual actors--Will & Margot, but I've seen a better film where they actually act on their chemistry.

None of the action, plot, atmosphere, cinematography, editing or final fight was worth anything. Joker...there's not actually enough of him to make a call. Anyone who's seen Mad Love, Harlequinade, BB:ROTJ gets why Harley will never leave him, even with the darker side of their relationship.

God this was terrible.

A lot of reviews here and on RT have kind things to say about SS, but either way I don't particularly agree with Collier on this.

shitting on Gadot when Cavill, Evans and Hemsworth did the bare minimum in all of their movies. lol

Evans gets hilariously overrated around here. I remember some saying he was the most earnest and greatest superhero performance since Christopher Reeves

LBwedhy.gif

dude's like a Patriot Ken doll in the mcu. acting opposite RDJ in civil war sorely exposed it too. maybe when he learns to emote more than one expression he can get mentioned with the big boys. he's just a step above cavill. they both LOOK great at least....

Evans gets hilariously overrated around here. I remember some saying he was the most earnest and greatest superhero performance since Christopher Reeves

LBwedhy.gif

dude's like a Patriot Ken doll in the mcu. acting opposite RDJ in civil war sorely exposed it too.

He's not though really. Show me some better superhero portrayals. RDJ is admittedly fantastic but I thought they played well against each other. Maguire's Spiderman? Jackman's Wolverine? I'm struggling here.

If Evans' work in Cap 1-3 is "doing the bare minimum" than Gadot is going to have to do a lot better than preening at the camera like in BVS.

It's okay. To be fair though, most of the superhero movie's acting performances are just that, okay.

I think Bale is the only one where I watch the movie and think of Bruce Wayne and not Christian Bale. Gal Gadot being shit on is not very fair, since we only got a glimpse of what she can or can't do. Sure, it can be shit, but just wait it out.

Chris Evans just has that great sad face and people take that as great acting.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I've never seen acting in any of the recent superhero films that I found particularly impressive. RDJ hits some earnest spots in Iron Man. But even that's a tough call for me because it's basically his personality.

I'm sure Gal Gadot will be fine. These movies don't really ask for much acting wise. Maybe someone has to cry or play angry. But scenes never really last that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom