• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Evans is fine as Cap, the writing helps him very much so and the supporting cast as well (did get schooled by RDJ in his own movie). Outside of that, ehh.

Hemsworth though. Ugh. Kill him off already.

anaron

I can kill this line of thinking with 1 question.

Can you post 1 compelling clip of Gadot's acting... ?
Hey I'm not saying she's great or anything (she's also had like, nothing to really work with so far) but trying to pin her as the downfall for a solo film is idiotic when Thor and Cap didn't require great actors either.

I've never seen acting in any of the recent superhero films that I found particularly impressive.

I'd make a case for RDJ in Iron Man series (though he mostly dulls it down with humor, i think he was best in civil war tbh) and Bale in the batman films.

also McAvoy in DOFP. i wouldn't call these amazing performances or anything but these actors actually put some effort and talent behind the roles rather than display their lack of it or phone it in.

- J - D -

I wanna see Gadot do a comedy role. If ya don't have much dramatic range, then at least show you can act/be funny.

See: Evans, Cavill, Hemsworth.

EGM1966

Being the one relative "highlight" in the otherwise painful dreck that was Ghostbusters is a high praise, indeed.
Rush? That performance easily eclipses any post superhero performance from those mentioned.

That said I think Evans is fine as Cap. He doesn't nail it quite like Reeves did but he's solid portraying that kind of noble character.

Anyway I can't partake of bickering about superhero movies when people keep forgetting it's not all marvel/DC and The Incredibles exists.

Michael Caine, next to Heath Ledger, had the best performances in a super hero movie.

oh dude if we're just talking overall performances in these movies then yeah. Caine, Ledger, Gary Oldman, Neeson, Eric Bana etc. list gets stacked.

i was specifically talking about the heroes tho.

- J - D -

Rush? That performance easily eclipses any post superhero performance from those mentioned.

That said I think Evans is fine as Cap. He doesn't nail it quite like Reeves did but he's solid portraying that kind of noble character.

Anyway I can't partake of bickering about superhero movies when people keep forgetting it's not all marvel/DC and The Incredibles exists.

Rush was Daniel Bruhl's movie. Hems just coasts on his good looks and charisma in it, which granted, fits his character in the movie to a tee.

Anyway, Suicide Squad.

BLACKLAC

Hey I'm not saying she's great or anything (she's also had like, nothing to really work with so far) but trying to pin her as the downfall for a solo film is idiotic when Thor and Cap didn't require great actors either.

Casting is still really important though especially for that role, lets say she doesn't tank, but instead comes off with 0 charisma or feeling like she is a warrior. Leaving the audience saying "meh" to WW. Not good either.

I've never liked the pick obviously and bvs didn't convince me, the best parts were her cgi double.

mandiller

I just got back from seeing it and had low hopes based on all the reviews, but me and my wife loved it. I really enjoyed it, and I hated Batman v Superman.

The joker (aside from his stupid 'Damaged' tattoos) was really cool. I liked that Leto had a different take on the character. Would totally watch him in a Batman film.

Maybe some people had different expectations of what this film was going in. The Joker is a
side
character, not a
major player
. Maybe some people expected different and got disappointed?

I saw it in 3D. Some really nice effects in there.

guek

Banned
RDJ and Fassbender are the best currently working comicbook actors followed closely by Ruffalo and Mcavoy. Everyone else is somewhere between good and OK. I can't think of anyone who straight up sucks, not even JLaw and her sleepwalking performances.

Some people like Boseman, Bruhl, and Gadot need more screen time.

anaron

Casting is still really important though especially for that role, lets say she doesn't tank, but instead comes off with 0 charisma or feeling like she is a warrior. Leaving the audience say "meh" to WW. Not good either.
Of course - but people are already pretty captivated with her based on BvS and I'm already impressed with her ad-libbing Dianna's enjoyment during the Doomsday fight. The scenes in the WW trailer show a good amount of range from Gadot not previously shown, too so we'll see.

RDJ and Fassbender are the best currently working comicbook actors followed closely by Ruffalo and Mcavoy. Everyone else is somewhere between good and OK. I can't think of anyone who straight up sucks, not even JLaw and her sleepwalking performances.

I would agree with this.

fassbender and michael shannon are the best actors to be put in these movies in recent memory. feels like so many of the good ones have been taken by some property now at this point except for..uhh...joel edgerton? DC and Marvel prolly on the phone with him as we speak.

surprised jessica chastain hasn't been snatched up by the draft yet either. only a matter of time, so many of these films are made.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I can't think of anyone who straight up sucks, not even JLaw and her sleepwalking performances.

The prosecution would like to make a strong case for Jesse Eisenberg in Batman v Superman. It wasn't even the interpretation of Lex Luthor that bothered. I just thought it was laughably bad, even during his serious moments. He turned it up to 11 and couldn't dial it back at all. His moment with the piece of candy was dope though.

guek

Banned
I'm still bummed Chastain wasn't cast as Mera :-(

The prosecution would like to make a strong case for Jesse Eisenberg in Batman v Superman. It wasn't even the interpretation of Lex Luthor that bothered. I just thought it was laughably bad, even during his serious moments. He turned it up to 11 and couldn't dial it back at all. His moment with the piece of candy was dope though.

Oh, I forgot about Eisenberg tbh. I understand the argument, though I'd say it's more the interpretation that comes across as bad. Ding ding ding ding was the only part that felt like a poor performance.

I'm still bummed Chastain wasn't cast as Mera :-(

i'd probably be sweating buckets just looking at the screen. i don't think such a good actress would be a good fit for momoa though. i can see him and amber heard working off each other a lot better lol. or maybe there would have been chemistry who knows.

side[/spoiler] character, not a
major player
. Maybe some people expected different and got disappointed?

There are some great examples of
side characters though. Spidey in Civil War was a side character, and it left most people excited to see him again. I dont care if they recast Leto's Joker, and I'm hoping that they do.

I remain so utterly unconvinced by Gadot. Cavill seems like a god of emotion compare to her.

And Evans outclasses both considerably.

Cavill managed to be a non presence in both of his movies. Which is pretty impressive.

meh i think y'all overrate evans considerably. he's not that much better than cavill. jury's out on gadot. she was in for like 10 minutes.

evans has like one expression during his entire tenure as cap lol. at the end of the day many of these guys are just vessels to look good in a costume and pump some HGH that's about it. i don't think i've seen a non-comedic role from the guy where he was more than serviceable.

meh i think y'all overrate evans considerably. he's not that much better than cavill. jury's out on gadot. she was in for like 10 minutes.

evans has like one expression during his entire tenure as cap lol. at the end of the day many of these guys are just vessels to look good in a costume and pump some HGH that's about it.

He's leaps and bounds ahead of Cavill. Even in a fairly run of the mill movie like TFA, he manages to make the character endearing.

Endearing. Cavill's Superman doesn't even know the meaning of the word.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member

evans has like one expression during his entire tenure as cap lol. at the end of the day many of these guys are just vessels to look good in a costume and pump some HGH that's about it. =

Nah, Evans is good/solid. Cavill not so much, just look at his interviews, him as Superman and Man from U.N.C.L.E, he is basically the same character but a bit different.

Protome

I'm still amazed people are willing to judge Gadot's performance so far based on her like 4 lines of dialog in BvS and trailers.

She didn't leave an impression on me at all in BvS because she had so little screen time, one of the worst side plots
"This isn't your picture. IT'S A PICTURE OF YOU."
in a movie filled with bad sideplots and then 90% of her screen time was terrible slow motion. If the Wonder Woman movie is 3 hours long but made up of 30 minutes of footage in slow mo that would not surprise me.

He's leaps and bounds ahead of Cavill. Even in a fairly run of the mill movie like TFA, he manages to make the character endearing.

to each their own. i didn't see much more than a bland action figure in that movie. the things they made him do was endearing, not the performance itself.

i did think he was vastly more relatable in the opening of cap 2 though. that's basically all superman needs, to talk about sports or some shit with a bystander for like a minute. i think that's for a different movie though, superman is clearly being presented from an outside view in BvS. he's meant to look god-like and unapproachable. that's how most of the movie presents him when he's in the suit.

anyways i'm really disappointed to hear that Joker opinions are so divisive. this is supposed to be a character that is practically entertaining for virtually everybody on screen. really embarrassing if they managed to fuck up what has been the best villain to ever appear in these movies. i'll see for myself on tuesday.

Cavill and Gadot's acting is sublime

kappa.png

I can kill this line of thinking with 1 question.

Can you post 1 compelling clip of Gadot's acting... ?

No.

I'm still amazed people are willing to judge Gadot's performance so far based on her like 4 lines of dialog in BvS and trailers.

She didn't leave an impression on me at all in BvS because she had so little screen time, one of the worst side plots
"This isn't your picture. IT'S A PICTURE OF YOU."
in a movie filled with bad sideplots and then 90% of her screen time was terrible slow motion. If the Wonder Woman movie is 3 hours long but made up of 30 minutes of footage in slow mo that would not surprise me.

have you seen her acting in the Fast and the Furious movies?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom

Huge Jackedman?

to each their own. i didn't see much more than a bland action figure in that movie. the things they made him do was endearing, not the performance itself.

i did think he was vastly more relatable in the opening of cap 2 though. that's basically all superman needs, to talk about sports or some shit with a bystander for like a minute. i think that's for a different movie though, superman is clearly being presented from an outside view in BvS. he's meant to look god-like and unapproachable. that's how most of the movie presents him when he's in the suit.

Supes actually played football in a few of his origins.
But not here--a lot of what humanizes him went up in a tornado. Thus, all-powerful, joyless hobo turns reporter. Its bad characterization.

Evans is Ultimate Cap without the racism and all of the charm...along with Caps flaws. The things they make him do are what you find in a normal Cap comic, even being self-righteous to the point of ridicule. There's a reason why he can lift Thor's hammer.

It's not really a contest. I've seen him fight a machine and Zod twice. Caps singular street fight tells you more about his character, same with him leaping on a grenade.

Saw your edit--eh, to me, there's not enough Joker to really call it. There was an opportunity for something like the pencil trick, but it was blown.

Come on, Evans ranks much higher than Cavill and Hemsworth.
Evans is my favorite superhero actor right now. Unbelievably perfect pick for Captain America. Miles ahead of Cavill.

But none of this has anything to do with Suicide Squad, so I'll toss my weekend prediction onto the pile.

$110mil.

Oersted

Thinking about it, DCU really lacks great actors. There is Smith, Viola Davis, Margot Robbie, Akinnuoye, Irons and Adams.

Thats sort of it.

Harmen

Being the one relative "highlight" in the otherwise painful dreck that was Ghostbusters is a high praise, indeed.

I thought Rush was a very solid and convincing performance by Hemsworth. And I think in general critics praised his performance as well.

Vice

Thinking about it, DCU really lacks great actors. There is Smith, Viola Davis, Margot Robbie, Akinnuoye, Irons and Adams.

Thats sort of it.
Affleck, Miller, Simmons and Leto can all put in a killer performance. Which makes how bad the DCU is turning out to be all the more worst. You have some all-time greats and a lot of serviceable actors, like Eisenberg, being put in crap. Some of these movies are filled with Oscar-caliber actors and they're as capivating as the ingredients list on a box of movie candy.

anyways i'm really disappointed to hear that Joker opinions are so divisive. this is supposed to be a character that is practically entertaining for virtually everybody on screen. really embarrassing if they managed to fuck up what has been the best villain to ever appear in these movies. i'll see for myself on tuesday.

I mean we differ on Cap but in terms of the Joker I really wanted to like him. I expected actually for him to be the only thing I enjoyed about the film; actually I couldn't wait for his awkward ass to be off screen.

Thats sort of it.
Ezra Miller is a better actor than most of them. Affleck too. DCCU has actually a very high standard of actors and actresses. They're not the problem.

EGM1966

Talent of actors is not the problem the DCEU has. Everyone can look bad when it's written attrociously.
Exactly and the DC films haven't been short of talent. Scripts, tone (and no I don't mean dark I mean consistent and knowing use of tone) weak narratives and sloppy logic have been the issue from MoS onwards (and who know MoS would be least offender thus far? Although its core is taken from two successful superman films so it did have that helping it).

DC need to put hitting dates aside (painful and disruptive i know) and invest in a core development team that can deliver quality before continuing or the weak efforts will continue to roll off the assembly line.

Snyder and the current core team aren't cutting it. They don't have the talent as evidenced by their efforts.

Beefy

@Geekfeeddotcom
I don't believe in conspiracy theories about paid off critics. I believe there could be Marvel bias. Thor 2 is 66% on RT? While SS on 27%?

Man this film has even made websites act crazy.

I think critics just now more about movies than the general movie goer. Like bad editing could be something that really hurts a movie, and it did hurt Suicide Squad and critics hated it, but a "normal" movie goer might not even notice. Same with bad/mediocre acting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom