• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

2018 looks promising. Also, I don't see Cyborg happening at all. They might cancel that or replace it with another movie.
dcslate-e1419396936570.jpg

I don't see Cyborg or Shazaam happening

sackninja

I think critics just now more about movies than the general movie goer. Like bad editing could be something that really hurts a movie, and it did hurt Suicide Squad and critics hated it, but a "normal" movie goer might not even notice. Same with bad/mediocre acting.

People a hundred percent notice bad acting and bad editing, no clue why they wouldn't.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
@Geekfeeddotcom
I don't believe in conspiracy theories about paid off critics. I believe there could be Marvel bias. Thor 2 is 66% on RT? While SS on 27%?

Man this film has even made websites act crazy.

TBF Thor 2 is irredemable shit. The only good part is his mother kicking ass and even she dies

EGM1966

@Geekfeeddotcom
I don't believe in conspiracy theories about paid off critics. I believe there could be Marvel bias. Thor 2 is 66% on RT? While SS on 27%?

I don't think there's marvel bias. Marvel just manages, even with weaker entries like Thor 2, to produce more cohesive efforts.

Getting basic narrative core and okay character behaviour with solid action will get better reviews than muddled efforts that might seem better in some elements but are overall messy.

SS (and BvS before it) are messy films. They're logic for the narrative is weak and performances and character behaviour uneven. That's 101 film structure failures hence the lower marks.

It's like essay writing: Marvel at least make sure the basics are ok and thus lock in average to above average scores. DC films since MoS (which reviewed better in similar manner to lesser Marvel films gor similar reasons) have failed at the basics meaning they need to exceed very well elsewhere to justifying getting not sticking to classic film structure basics. And they're not hence the really weak scores from most critics.

@Geekfeeddotcom

That's not a Marvel bias that's just 66% of critics being wrong. It happens sometimes.

cj_iwakura

I don't know about conspiracies, but I sure don't see what Marvel is so incredible at that DC seems to be botching. I like watching both, but DC films seem to be more rewatchable to me. Marvel feels like one-and-done, apart from rare outliers like GotG.

Civil War's villain was pretty lame, yet critics would have people thinking the film was flawless.

I don't know about conspiracies, but I sure don't see what Marvel is so incredible at that DC seems to be botching. I like watching both, but DC films seem to be more rewatchable to me. Marvel feels like one-and-done, apart from rare outliers like GotG.

Civil War's villain was pretty lame, yet critics would have people thinking the film was flawless.

They didn't think it was flawless first of all, and the villain is something a LOT of critics picked up on as their one big flaw, which suggests you didn't read many reviews.

And stil then you have a situation where you have to LOOK for flaws with Civil War, whereas they jumped off the screen. It isn't a conspiracy or some sort of bias; DC movies just haven't been very good so far.

guek

Banned

That's not true at all. Plenty of reviews pointed out that they weren't sold on the villain. Actually reading the content of reviews tells you a lot more than just numbers. Or, if that's too much work, just look at the numbers more closely. Civil War has an average score of 7.6/10 on RT and a 75 on Metacritic. It's true that 90% of critics recommended it with a favorable rating but they didn't pretend it was the best thing ever. There are much bigger critical darlings out there. Take Fury Road for instance which got a 97% RT with an 8.6/10 avg score.

Thor 2 wasn't great but it wasn't offensively bad. SS kinda is, that scene where you see that Harley's
deepest desire is a normal life as a suburban housewife with joker as a normal guy
is just vomit worthy.

Eidan

Zemo was one of the best parts of Civil War.

Yeah, CW's avg rating of 7.6 point it towards being a really good blockbuster as opposed some critical god like TDK whose avg rating is a full point higher

I don't think that many MCU films have broken the 8.0 avg rating, if at all. First Iron Man maybe? Avengers?

number11

I never understood the Thor 2 hate. At worst, the film is incredibly safe and average. BvS made me angry about how bad it is.

kurahador

Thor 2 wasn't great but it wasn't offensively bad. SS kinda is, that scene where you see that Harley's
deepest desire is a normal life as a suburban housewife with joker as a normal guy
is just vomit worthy.

Urghh...yeah. As someone who grew up watching Batman TAS and DCAU, seeing how they butchered Joker and Harley character is the most insulting.

BLACKLAC

I love the MCU movies, and Zemo was one of the better ones, but I do have to say that the MCU's biggest weakness is it's villians.

I'm kinda worried we won't see a proper one again until Thanos.

I never subscribed to the whole "MCU villains are terrible" talking point in the first place tbh. The biggest negative I can say about them is they can use 10 to 15 minutes of more screen/scene time in any given film, generally speaking. The only outright terrible one is Malekith.

jelly

Thor 2 has a terrible villain and the London scenes are lame but other than that it isn't half bad. Hopkins and Portman give no shits though.

The worst thing about DC films is they can't tell a decent coherent story start to finish. The pace is off, the story is shit, filled with bloat and side plots that should have been written out before filming and then they shoehorn in character reveals in the worst way possible. put scenes in that make no sense, have random time jumps. WTF is the response. They can't do basics and that's probably why the scores are so low. Irredeemable. Wonder Wonen getting an email with attachments to her email address, sorry but fuck off, that's embarrassing and if they didn't have a good chuckle when signing off on that then god help us. You can rip apart these films and point out how completely incomprehensible and stupid they are in basic plot and coherent story telling. They have no excuse for releasing crap like that.

Henkka

Banned
is just vomit worthy.

I don't know much about Quinn as character, but even to me that's a fucking baffling creative decision.

Eidan

I never understood the Thor 2 hate. At worst, the film is incredibly safe and average. BvS made me angry about how bad it is.
I think it's standard internet hyperbole, where "mildly disappointing" can never be just that, but instead it must transform into "god awful disaster".

Except, it seems, when critics actually point out that an anticipated work is a god awful disaster, then it all becomes about defense, and talking about the disaster as if it were an underappreciated masterpiece. Thor 2 is a much better movie than BvS.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't say that Zemo is a villain (in a sense the villains are the heroes themselves), he is an antagonist born as consequance of the heroes actions and I understand why some didn't like him that much in CW but he wasn't wasted and put in the same generic position like most other MCU villains.

Even the best MCU films hover around 7.5-8.0 in avg rating which tells me they're very good films on the cusp of being actually great. When you hold them to a blockbuster standard, obviously they're much better than the lot of them. But when you compare them to films as a whole, MCU films aren't critical darlings. They're well-received and get some degree of critical acclaim, but this isn't Pixar we're talking about here.

Maximo

OléGunner;212523471 said:
How did they find it?
I'm sure Greg loved it because he's as biased a DC fanboy as I've ever seen.

I see this with all the love in the world for Greg, have enjoyed him since Podcast Beyond's early days.

Greg.....Is not happy, they outright say when they do spoilers so feel free to watch until that point, 10 seconds in and you will understand how they feel hahah.

guek

Banned
is just vomit worthy.

Even worst is the fact that you can totally
see Leto's version of the Joker being on board with that as well. He turns into a smitten heavy breathing kitten whenever Harley is around.

26tPoyDhjiJ2g7rEs.gif

someone please tell me it's not as bad as it sounds

Even worst is the fact that you can totally
see Leto's version of the Joker being on board with that as well. He turns into a smitten heavy breathing kitten whenever Harley is around.

W...what!!!

No! :( don't say that! They ruined not ONLY Harley
but also Mr.j????

;___;

Don't do this to my heart, DC ;___;

Reading bolded party is so painful to me. Oww oww. I need that pic that was copied by a hack comic artist into Tony Stark having a heart ache.

Harmen

Haha, watching the start of the Kinda Funny and Angry Joe reviews is almost as if they watched an entirely different film alltogether.

aravuus

is just vomit worthy.

Hahah damn, that sounds terrible

Is it weird that I kinda want to see the movie more after all the negative impressions?

duckroll

Haha, watching the start of the Kinda Funny and Angry Joe reviews is almost as if they watched an entirely different film alltogether.

Is it possible that different cinemas got different cuts of the film? Maybe 27% of critics saw Ayer's original cut and the rest got the obviously inferior studio meddling cut? #SupportTheoriesThatMakeDCFilmsSoundBetter

cj_iwakura

I know CW did get flak, bit SS seems to get way more for some reason. I just hope it doesn't kill the possibility of a franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom