• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0w

Old Member
Maybe the Joker and Batman work better as a cartoon to begin with.

They work even better in a comic book, which I'd wager a lot of people attached to the cartoon aren't familiar with. It seems like a hell of a lot of people in DC threads are only familiar with Batman: TAS which, given the age range here, was probably the most readily-accessible version of these characters for them as kids.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
We're officially into Green Lantern territory folks
CpG_lQlWYAEf6vY.jpg

CpG_lGRWcAAZwj8.jpg

Yes, he would.

Kevin Conroy would also be terrible as a live-action Batman.

Entirely subjective. I will ask, however, what the benefit is in someone simply remaking the cartoon, which many people would seemingly be happy with? Why retread something that's already been done before, especially if it's as great as people claim?

I don't think people want the animated stuff remade in live action, they just want the live action to use the same approach as the animated stuff. Go simple, focus on characters and performances, and execute stories in an emotionally resonant and memorable way.

DC isn't doing that apparently because it's what Marvel's doing.

Crazyorloco

I am not believing the critics any more...my friends saw it and enjoyed it.

Biggest criticism they had was that it can be corny at times.

Sojgat

They work even better in a comic book, which I'd wager a lot of people attached to the cartoon aren't familiar with. It seems like a hell of a lot of people in DC threads are only familiar with Batman: TAS which, given the age range here, was probably the most readily-accessible version of these characters for them as kids.

Yup. A lot of people also think Tobey Maguire was a good Spider-Man. People just like the thing they grew up with.

I am not believing the critics any more...my friends saw it and enjoyed it.

Biggest criticism they had was that it can be corny at times.
Good for your friends. Go see it yourself. The critics are hardly exaggerating.

Lots of good films are corny. Corny doesn't even scrape the surface of this films issues.

cr0w

Old Member
I don't think people want the animated stuff remade in live action, they just want the live action to use the same approach as the animated stuff. Go simple, focus on characters and performances, and execute stories in an emotionally resonant and memorable way.

DC isn't doing that apparently because it's what Marvel's doing.

Hopefully they'll go that route once DC Films and Johns start with their movies and WB isn't making all the decisions, but who knows?

It's just...the animated stuff has already been done, and it's great. But if you honestly think the answer to the problems presented by the movies is to put Mark Hamill in grease paint up on screen, you're not thinking clearly. The answer is also not to overly complicate things and alienate 75% of your audience because your movies are deliberately obtuse.

Yup. A lot of people also think Tobey Maguire was a good Spider-Man. People just like the thing they grew up with.

Nicholas Hammond 4 lyfe.

Sephzilla

Batman movies were still a thing when TAS was airing

Why the huge disparity between critic scores and audience scores?

If its DC fanboys, why did they not help GL in the end?

Im just asking, not trying to be funny or anything.

cr0w

Old Member
Batman movies were still a thing when TAS was airing

Right, but how many people came home to watch Batman Returns or Forever every day after school? In terms of exposure, TAS was the #1 property out there for kids in the '90s when it comes to Batman and Joker.

And I'm not arguing that TAS isn't good, what I'm saying is that for a lot of people that grew up with it, it's the version of Batman and Joker because it was what they knew first. Like Chris Reeve and Superman. For people my age, Reeve IS Superman. That's all we think of when someone says the name or we hear the theme. Bill Bixby also IS Bruce (David) Banner, no matter what came later. Once a portrayal is ingrained in your mind as definitive, you'll probably never be able to see anyone else and that one is your default measuring stick.

inky

A lot of the fans prefer the tone of these movies as opposed to GL. That's all there is to it.

tomtom94

Critics and audiences tend to have different priorities (and levels of what is a "good" movie). Critics will pick up on things like bad editing and pacing whereas audiences will be more forgiving if the humour and explosions are good and it doesn't make them physically ill.

(Also, the audience scores are good, but lower than expected. Batman v Superman had ratings in the 90s at this point)

BroBot

Alright I saw the movie. Overall I was NOT disappointed. Then again, I didn't go in expecting top tier marvel or even mid tier marvel quality. I went in expecting Harley Quinn and Deadshot highlights.

In my opinion, Deadshot is the star of the movie (surprise surprise) I don't have a problem with this since he was actually good and I hope he's in future DC movies.

Margot Robbie played a fun and convincing Harley Quinn. (Remember, it's the actor/actresses' job to simply go with the script. And for that, she did very well with Harley. The writing could have been better). She's my second favorite character in this movie.

-The main story, meh.
-The non-squad villains, double meh.

-The joker, triple meh. I hope he's not a main villain in the next main Batman movie. If he us, we should prepare ourselves for a plethora of Chris Evan memes.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I mean, you can downplay the influence and critical acclaim of Batman TAS as much as you want. Just know that opinion is in the minority.

Want further proof? You're having a discussion in a thread about a movie that features an original character from that series front and center. Yes it was a kid's show but the reason it still gets discussed to this day is because it retains its relevance through some of the best characterizations and compelling story telling in the DC mythos.

eizarus

Banned
#SupportDCFilms

What's sad is that I think Green Lantern would have been a lot better had they not tried to cram 4 plots into one movie.
And not had a turd cloud as the bad guy

I've been wondering this myself. On both RT and IMDb, the user scores are much higher than the critic scores. They're very close to each other on both sites (MoS @ 7.8/7.2, BvS @ 7.2/6.9, SS @ 7.8/7.3 respectively).

The number of voters are in the hundreds of thousands, so I'd like to assume that there's a great number of "regular" viewers (as opposed to fans who might have bias) voting.

Oddduck

-The joker, triple meh. I hope he's not a main villain in the next main Batman movie. If he us, we should prepare ourselves for a plethora of Chris Evan memes.

DC needs to start from scratch with The Joker. Get rid of the tattoos, etc. Maybe get a new actor.

Many reviews mentioned how Harley and Joker had very little chemistry on-screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom