• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahasverus

DC needs to start from scratch with The Joker. Get rid of the tattoos, etc. Maybe get a new actor.

Many reviews mentioned how Harley and Joker had very little chemistry on-screen.
This is not true. Their chemistry was very good. Joker was just.. too run of the mill. I have no doubt he'll be great under Affleck's direction.

Just got out of the cinema after seeing this. I was really really hoping I wouldn't agree with the critics, but nope. It is pretty bad. I quite enjoyed BvS as well and didn't think it was as bad as a lot of people said it was.

A real shame.

Sayad

Saw it last night, not Fantastic Four bad, enjoyed some of it actually but I can see why critics would give it lower scores than the average bad Marvel movie, it's way easier to criticize without even getting into "opinions" territory,.

My verdict: better than Thor 2: Dark World and BvS, still not good.

I actually really want the DCEU to work, I think wanting it to fail is childish.

HOWEVER - I love watching the DC fanboy salt after each movie is released.

rdytoroll

Your forgot one.

dead2.gif

Just started watching Angry Joe's review and he says all the critics are wrong. He doesn't understand the ratings because as he says it's an awesome movie.

Ban Puncher

Mark Hamill is too old, eh?

Then get Troy Baker to put on make up and do his best Mark Hamill impression.

You know, from Assault on Arkham.

You know, the good Suicide Squad film.

cackhyena

On my way back now.

I'm not sure what justified all the hate.
My brother said the same thing last night. He said he had fun with it. Said the friends he saw it with had trouble following it. He didn't understand that either. Said it was pretty straight forward.

Schlorgan

We're doing lists now?

1. The Dark Knight
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
3. Spider-Man 2
4. X2: X-Men United
5. Captain America: Civil War

pestul

Ayer already said there's only one cut, so unless he's gonna backtrack...
On SchmoesKnow live show last night, JTE said that he knows an insider that actually viewed the original Ayer cut earlier this year. This was around the time people were leaking that it was a complete mess. Apparently the Ayer original had a lot more violence with Croc and a much darker tone. It didn't have the popular music at all. The BvS reception did influence the final theatrical version. JTE is very trustworthy.

Schlorgan

By the way why so few mentions for The Incredibles? Are people biased to live action and known characters because as a film it's one of the best ever: arguably tied with Dark Knight as best ever.

The Incredibles is amazing, but it's not an adaptation of a comic book property so it doesn't count.

On SchmoesKnow live show last night, JTE said that he knows an insider that actually viewed the original Ayer cut earlier this year. This was around the time people were leaking that it was a complete mess. Apparently the Ayer original had a lot more violence with Croc and a much darker tone. It didn't have the popular music at all. The BvS reception did influence the final theatrical version. JTE is very trustworthy.

Welp...

Yeah I agree that the highlight of this movie was Deadshot, Harley Quinn and Amanda Waller were very good characters with very good interpretations, and Also Diablo and Boomerang were solid (better than the comic versions), Joker was very little in this movie I was expecting more but Jared Leto in the future can be a good Joker. The rest of the movie, script, action and villians were meh, not terrible but just meh. The main problem of the movie was the hype, many critics had high expectations of this movie that's why they gave those low scores. When I went yesterday the majority of the audience enjoy it, is not like BvS where I heard many complaints after the movie. Is not a good movie but it has his moments and can be enjoyable.

Eidan

Awww man I missed list wars?

1. The Dark Knight
2. The Dark Knight Rises
3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
4. The Avengers
5. X-Men: Days of Future Past

Dalek

Awww man I missed list wars?

1. The Dark Knight
2. The Dark Knight Rises
3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
4. The Avengers
5. X-Men: Days of Future Past

And what do you think about Iron Man 3 - the worst film in the MCU?

Ok, let's strap in.

I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to films. I live 5 minutes away from a nice movie theater; I'll watch anything from He Named Me Malala to Furious 7, and usually come away pretty satisfied. It's hard for me to not like a film. Even stuff like Transformers 3, which was a stupid ass movie, has something that appeals to me, like the absolute carnage that happens in Chicago.

For Suicide Squad, it's pretty easy to recognize the flaws in it, but to me, it was a ton of fun to watch. And it was never boring; something that basically every movie this summer totally fanned on.

It's a loud movie. All the character intros are extremely colorful, full of bombast, and do a pretty decent job on filling us in on the backstory (though I still would've vastly preferred these characters to show up in previous movies, but alas). They felt well thought out, and for the most part, all had hooks to them.

The action is OK. I generally prefer WB's way of shooting films over most studios, so they're still quite on point there, but it could've been better on the action front itself. The movie shines the most to me when they're focusing on the core concepts of either the Squad (bad guys forced into doing good), or the characters themselves. My favorite scene wasn't even a big setpiece or large scale battle (two things that I'm unsure as to why the movie needed them), but a small bar scene. Banter between extraordinary people is still intriguing to me.

I don't really think there were any misfires, casting wise. Will seems back in leading man mode, though I probably would've preferred more of a focus on him, to be honest. Margot is excellent, pretty good emotional anchor. El Diablo's subplot is solid. Boomerang and Croc seem like they're there to troll, which is fine. Katana didn't do too much, and neither did Joker, which makes all the heat about the latter seem kinda dumb. Your highlights are probably Harley/Deadshot/Waller, in that order.

I tend to view critic reviews as one part of whether I'll like a movie; most of them don't share my tastes, so I'll mostly just use them as a barometer for what kind of a movie I should expect. Personally, it feels like they're taking Squad to task for flaws that they let slip by on earlier comic-book films; endless army, unnecessary save the world plot, that kind of thing.

I'd say Squad starts off well, stumbles a bit in the middle, but gets to the finish line in a solid way (probably due to the reshoots). It's a fun ass movie. Perfect for a matinee if you're bored. It feels like more the product of people's hype being deflated versus the actual quality of the film itself, which is no more egregious than most summer films.

Me? I'll go watch it again tomorrow. I'm a sucker like that.

What the fuck is this shit? Did the insider say which version is better? This is some BS. :\

IconGrist

Great review, Bronson. I sort of feel the same too. I would watch it again tomorrow as well if I wasn't so tight on money right now.

I'm debating between seeing this again or buying GoT S6. I might go with GoT but only because I can watch that immediately versus having to find a babysitter to see SS.

We actually lucked out at our showing last night

I had one for IMAX 3D (didn't really want 3D but I like the bigger screen and the time worked the best for me), showed up and there were no glasses. Apparently there was an issue so besides a couple of trailers the movie was actually showing in 2D and everyone got re-admit passes for free AMC tickets

So I'll either see this again or save it for Don't Breathe lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom