• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Trailers went from dark and heavy to blaring out Queen back in January. As a reminder, here is the first trailer that came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLLQK9la6Go

When you jump that drastically, tonally, as they have for the trailers, it (rightly it would seem in this case) indicated the studio did not have a vision for this movie from the get go.

Bohemian Rhapsody is the first trailer.

BeeGees trailer was super early footage meant for SDCC. Youtube even says it there, " Comic-Con First Look."

Trickster

Wow this is dissapointing, was looking forward to it. Genuinely surprised too, this looked like a DC movie where they finally nailed it. Trailers were fantastic,

Carcetti

Okay, mini review time with bullet points, don't have energy or time for more...

edit: oh, on second though, let's not crush any dreams.

J4g3r

might as well post these unused evans gifs. I didn't get use em the first time around.

8gFRKSd.gif

nfw2fi0.gif

giphy.gif

Ban Puncher

At least Suicide Squad (36%) is beating Independence Day: Resurgence (32%) critically.

Will Smith backed the right horse.

FMHdGIN.gif

Phased

Man, I dunno what DC are missing. Obviously not money. Not the actors either. Is it the scripts? The directors? The producers behind them? Or the executives behind them all doing a shitty job of puppeteering.

They should just hire Edgar Wright for a movie with unlimited free reign and follow what he does. Or maybe I just want a superhero film fully by him finally.

They're missing someone who genuinely cares about the material.

Kevin Feige is a huge nerd and loves this kinda stuff, that's why Marvel is crushing it right now.

Also they are snagging up talented film makers left and right. The Russo Brothers, Ryan Coogler, tons of actors who fit their roles perfectly.

obin_gam

Ah, what a shame.
Will still go to the movie and watch it. Don't understand why not, like, reviews doesn't change my hype.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I think Will Smith and Margot Robbie are just having an affair at this point and trying to mask it by being in movies with each other constantly.

Rooster12

It's almost like every character in this movie has existed in prior fiction and you could read between the lines to figure out that a director or screenwriter is going offkilter of that character.

Yeah...that looks like what happened here.

Harley Quinn isn't her comic-counterpart
Joker isn't either
Deadshot sure as hell isn't
Rick Flag is cliche.

Only Boomerang and Croc looks somewhat decent.

I mean, with a good director and a good script that wouldn't matter....but something went wrong...who knows what. And I think Ayer is better than Snyder, but he's not someone who can make comic book movies.

Jesus this movie has been ripped apart.

Saddest part is Leto's joker is simply average.
Ehhh wondering whether I should even bother going cinema this weekend if this is basically BvS level of terrible :/

Kurdel

Banned
It's almost like every character in this movie has existed in prior fiction and you could read between the lines to figure out that a director or screenwriter is going offkilter of that character.

Do you just hire people point blank for a job because you haven't seen them work before?

I still think it's dumb to write movies off before release based on pre-release materials and casting (see the L ghostbusters haters took).

Kibbles

Look, the characters are great (second and third act villian aside), the plot is dumb. But most CBM plots have been pretty dumb as of late even ones I love like Civil War.

j0hnnix

This really sucks... but deep down i am kind of happy... I didn't want Will Smith in it to begin with. I'll still go in to see it for Jared Letos' Joker.

ElRenoRaven

So gee this is another steaming pile of DC shit. Saw this coming from a mile away just like with BVS. DC needs to get ride of Snyder and co then reboot with people who understand DC comics. It's just sad to see how far they've fallen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom