• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marrec

Banned
I liked it, and would pay money to see a Bonnie and Clyde style "Harley Loves Mista J".

As a film it's a mess, But Digger Harkness on the big screen was a treat. In fact, I'd love to see more DC villains get their own movies. It's one area that DC shines.

Yes, I was most impressed by Boomerang, only because I was most ready to be disappointed by his depiction.

Worst film I have seen in ages. For real. Total fuckng mess. Huge disappointment from Ayer. 100% dud. Wtf happened? :(

7900.gif

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
He wasn't bad. He just wasn't at all interesting. Completely and utterly forgettable. I'd take Nicholson hamming it up over him any day of the week.

I think that's not really Leto's fault, they just didn't give him enough Jokery shit to do. Well, they did but it got cut and what was left were scenes of a gangster who now and then seemed like he might be The Joker.

duckroll

I feel I can't even express an opinion on Leto's take on the Joker. He was barely in it and none of the scenes felt complete. This was less of a cameo and more of a teaser trailer of a Joker film spliced into the film. Really weird.

Einchy

I feel I can't even express an opinion on Leto's take on the Joker. He was barely in it and none of the scenes felt complete. This was less of a cameo and more of a teaser trailer of a Joker film spliced into the film. Really weird.

Yup, I said the same after seeing the movie. I still don't know if Leto will be a good or bad Joker, gotta wait until they either release the deleted scenes or when he's in The Batman film.

My thoughts on the movie:
-Editing was pretty bad
-tonally odd
-Characters like Croc and Slipknot could've and probably should've been replaced (I liked Boomerang though)
-Thought Will Smith, Harley, Walker, Mr.J and El Diablo we're all great
-Leto did a great job with the Joker's personality and I enjoyed all his scenes
-have no issues with the way the action was shot except in the final battle against
enchantress
-Incubus was a shitty villan with an equally shitty design, motive and goon design, this isn't a Lovecraft movie and even if it were they're pretty much as shitty as the aliens in avengers or Ultron bots, just fodder.
-Leto's joker scenes need to be readded
-I generally enjoyed the idea of having pop music in the movie, but it should've been used more sparingly, sometimes it was too much. Maybe keep the AC/DC+Intro songs and everything from the original soundtrack, everything else was unnecessary.
-I enjoyed the movie but it really did need more time in the oven
-its definitely more style over substance but the style is unmatched by any other movie in the genre and most people don't watch these movies for substance nor does every movie need it.
-I think removing a lot of the alleged edginess and darkness from the movie made it less interesting and it could've been so much more had they kept it.
-Walker was fuckin ruthless

Overall it's an enjoyable movie but I just think it was torn up in the editing room and hastily put back together, and like Bronson said, there's a great film in here and i can see it's potential because there are some great ideas with a great cast but it's just not quite there. is it a bad film? Fuck no, is it flawled? Definitely but it's also a lot more fun and more interesting than:Iron Man 2,TDKR, ASM1/2,Thor1/2,Cap1, X-Men Apocalypse and First Class along with Man of Steel. It has a ton of personality and character, I never felt bored or felt like it dragged and despite its shortcomings I feel like what Ayer did has a lot more potential than any of the above movies or even their respective series, it was just butchered in the editing room and this isn't an attack against Marvel movies since I can't say I hate or dislike any of their movies but there are times in plenty of them where I just feel like I'm going through the motions simply to see some decent action and not much else, I don't care about the characters and the story along with its characters aren't ever very interesting either. Suicide squad at least tries to do something different and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

ezekial45

Banned
I liked what they were doing with Leto's Joker, but we just didn't see enough of it to get any good context. It was totally was like he cameo-ing in this movie to tease another movie where he'd be a bigger character.

We didn't get enough of him here, and that REALLY sucks. Hell, Leto was upset too in an interview he did a few days ago.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah. That was pretty bad. I think this might be worst. Well, I guess at least it isn't racist. Gods of Egypt was a bad corny film which made sense. Suicide Squad is a bad messy film which doesn't make much sense. I don't think there was a single scene of daylight in this either. Really unpleasant.
I -think- there was a prison yard scene in daylight, maybe when Harley
changes clothes

milanbaros

Member?
I made a huge mistake going to see this.

For the people who actually enjoyed this piece of shit excuse for a film please tell me what else they like so I can scratch that off the list of what I want to see.

I felt embarrassed for the actors a lot of the time.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone remember a moment where a character made a fucking decision in this movie? Changed in any way?

In terms of badness, I would easily compare this to Maleficent and Transformers 2. The problem is that the entire movie is a mess and not an interesting mess. It feels like all the interesting parts got chopped out and all the lameass boring Syfy stuff was left over.

Terrible editing, awful flow, bland as fuck cinematography, crappy effects. Nothing works smoothly at all. Even the music is shit. Good song selections but the entire soundtrack feels like a series of music videos cut together instead of something that enhances and complements the film.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: Maleficent v Bayformers 2

Blizzard

Banned
Can anyone remember a moment where a character made a fucking decision in this movie? Changed in any way?
Sure (MID MOVIE PLOT SPOILERS):

Deadshot intentionally misses Harley Quinn, directly disobeying Waller even thoug she can kill him. He decided he didn't want to kill her.

I think Flag gained some begrudging respect for Deadshot (if not the other squad members).

Harley Quinn decided to stick with her friends and help kill Enchantress, when she could have joined the Dark Side.

Sure (MID MOVIE PLOT SPOILERS):

Deadshot intentionally misses Harley Quinn, directly disobeying Waller even thoug she can kill him. He decided he didn't want to kill her.

I think Flag gained some begrudging respect for Deadshot (if not the other squad members).

Harley Quinn decided to stick with her friends and help kill Enchantress, when she could have joined the Dark Side.

Or when
Harley came back even though she was free with her bomb disarmed

was any of it convincing though? like, did we get a satisfying narrative on WHY they made those decisions after only been a team for a night (or maybe less than a night)?
I mean, the poster asked for any time they made a desicion. Is it convincing? I guess it depends on how you look at it. They're all caught up in shitty situations and have suffered loss and fine companionship being around each other as they're all in the same boat. Outside they're hated and hunted and Harley spells that out pretty well, so they might aswel stick together.

This was one of the worst movies I've seen in years. Jacked on so many levels.

Characters were two dimensional, villains were depthless and made illogical decisions, tons of action movie cliches, cluttered and hectic, mildly racist/stereotypes galore, bad jokes.

I'm glad I saw it but man that was rough. Was very aware I was sitting in a theater watching a movie.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry, asking that question in this thread is probably the wrong place. I assume we have a spoiler thread somewhere.

Don't highlight unless you've seen the movie or don't care:

The Deadshot not shooting Harley thing didn't really mean much to me given that I still didn't really have a good sense for what Deadshot or Harley meant to each other before that. It was more of a calibration that an obvious change of heart, you know?

I read Harley coming back as a reaction to literally being pushed back down into the battlefield, not an active decision to walk away from the Joker or anything. Maybe I missed something.

The movie ended in much the same state as it started. Everyone is in prison and the Joker is attempting to get Harley out. Except now everyone knows each other, I guess? It was a movie that didn't justify its own existence. A trailer for the things we'll maybe care about in two years time.

I think that's not really Leto's fault, they just didn't give him enough Jokery shit to do. Well, they did but it got cut and what was left were scenes of a gangster who now and then seemed like he might be The Joker.
Compare his performance in those few minutes to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqvbv-SB4bg and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3dl32LaOls. That's less than 10 minutes of Joker (the intro has about 2 minutes of Joker with the rest being exposition about his character) and plenty of time to get an idea about the sort of Joker we're getting.

I want to know why was Katana in this movie? So many cool amazing things they could've did for her but they did nothing. She felt like one of those kids in school that wanted to fit in with the cool girls but was never cool enough.

Also, they took out this cool looking shot.
tumblr_o18e62dUfQ1tmi5g7o2_540.gif

I mean, the poster asked for any time they made a desicion. Is it convincing? I guess it depends on how you look at it. They're all caught up in shitty situations and have suffered loss and fine companionship being around each other as they're all in the same boat. Outside they're hated and hunted and Harley spells that out pretty well, so they might aswel stick together.

"might as well stick together" sounds a bit flakey of a reason to me :<

i sat through say... the fellowship of the rings and by the end of it, i was quite able to feel the bond forming between the members of that band. i just wanted to find out if the same vein of endearing fellowship can be felt from suicide squad.

specially if they are a band of supposedly sociopathic and / or actual villains. i would like to believe they are actually what they say (bad people) and not just posers of said monikers.

on that note, i just realised that the fellowship of the rings was a kind of a suicide team XD hahaha

Heroman

Banned
This would be a much better movie if it was lowers stake with batman trying to stop them , having the villain who let be honest are c tier take on a world-ending event is dumb.

Sorry, asking that question in this thread is probably the wrong place. I assume we have a spoiler thread somewhere.

Don't highlight unless you've seen the movie or don't care:

The Deadshot not shooting Harley thing didn't really mean much to me given that I still didn't really have a good sense for what Deadshot or Harley meant to each other before that. It was more of a calibration that an obvious change of heart, you know?

I read Harley coming back as a reaction to literally being pushed back down into the battlefield, not an active decision to walk away from the Joker or anything. Maybe I missed something.

The movie ended in much the same state as it started. Everyone is in prison and the Joker is attempting to get Harley out. Except now, maybe, everyone knows each other?

She could've literally left and gone into hiding and they probably wouldn't find her, at least not immediately or if she stayed out of trouble which she likely wouldve without Joker. Also yeah it ended the way it started but these are super criminals did you really think they were getting out? This way they can use them again should they need to, and at least deadshot gets time with his daughter. They told them in the beginning they weren't getting out so I'm not sure what you expected.

"might as well stick together" sounds a bit flakey of a reason to me :<

i sat through say... the fellowship of the rings and by the end of it, i was quite able to feel the bond forming between the members of that band. i just wanted to find out if the same vein of endearing fellowship can be felt from suicide squad.

specially if they are a band of supposedly sociopathic and / or actual villains. i would like to believe they are actually what they say (bad people) and not just posers of said monikers.

on that note, i just realised that the fellowship of the rings was a kind of a suicide team XD hahaha

Sure if you take away everything else around it. But when people have no one else and find others in similar situations that they can get along with they connect, that's how people make friends. Is it a strong bond? No but it's there and that's really all you need for this movie and its not like they gave a shit about each other before hand, now it's easy to tell that they do.

Can somebody tell me who chose to make this movie a save the world movie? It should've been a heist movie with a significantly smaller scale and for all the shit MCU's phase 2 got for the "where the hell are the other Avengers?" SS is a lot worse in this aspect

Poona

I've seen enough negative impressions to make me think this isn't worth the time or money for a cinema trip.

Ugh, I really wanted this movie to be good.

Then let it be good and form your own opinion?

If there is ever a movie I'm interested in seeing because of trailers or how it is being sold beforehand, or the characters, etc I go see it. I don't let reviews talk me out of it (oh sorry lord of the rings - fellowship of the ring I'm not going to see you as there was a review that I happened to see beforehand that gave it 1 star), and the times I've let reviews actually talk me into seeing a film that I wasn't interested in beforehand many times I've wondered why even bothered, and wondered how the film got highly rated.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I'm sorry I doubted you man. Jesus, how did Ayer fuck it up this bad?

I was really looking forward to this film :(

I like David Ayer, especially Fury (written, produced, directed by him) - he's a great writer too. Duno what happened.

Einchy

There were two points in the first act that the song actually made the scenes worse because I couldn't fucking hear what the character was saying over the music. None of the scenes felt like they were edited with the music in mind, seems to me like they realized they needed music, so they just plastered some over the scenes.

Can somebody tell me who chose to make this movie a save the world movie? It should've been a heist movie with a significantly smaller scale and for all the shit MCU's phase 2 got for the "where the hell are the other Avengers?" SS is a lot worse in this aspect
I agree aside from the "where are the others" part. Superman is dead, Batman can't handle supernatural shit on his own, Flash is handling small criminals like Boomerang and everyone else doesn't really give a shit at this point in the universe so I think that argument is silly.

Though I do think that this movie shouldve been about the Suicide Squad vs Joker. Joker's doing bad shit and Batman can't quite handle it on his own and Is off doing whatever. Put Harley in the middle of it like they did here and send in the squad to deal with it, that way you flesh out the Joker for future Batman films along with Harley and get to see the Squad do stuff that's more on their level.

There were two points in the first act that the song actually made the scenes worse because I couldn't fucking hear what the character was saying over the music. None of the scenes felt like they were edited with the music in mind, seems to me like they realized they needed music, so they just plastered some over the scenes.

Worst is
Eminem's without me.
That was AMV ill fitting.

Einchy

So it's now LOWER than BvS on RT? That's absurd. I mean the movie is bad but there is no way it's worse than BvS.

BvS has a lot of great stuff mixed with a lot of bad stuff, SS has a lot of bad stuff with some good and maybe one or two great things.

duckroll

It didn't even feel like a save the world movie. It felt more like a wannabe Black Hawk Down with zero tension, zero logic, and a bunch of superpowers.

Nairume

Banned
Even the music is shit. Good song selections but the entire soundtrack feels like a series of music videos cut together instead of something that enhances and complements the film.
Yeah, like

I don't expect every superhero movie that wants to be GotG and have the pop soundtrack to try and have an in-universe justification for why that music is there, but at least make the effort Gunn made and have a carefully selected soundtrack that fits in when it's used.

Why was Killer "It was a big rock" Croc's theme Fortunate Son

So is this a film I should wait for the director's (or trailer people's) cut?
Read my post from the previous page then decide of you're interested in any of that. I'd say go see it and form you're own opinion because it's in no way nearly as bad as some are making it out to be but there are some glaring flaws that I can see why people wouldn't like it. I honestly think that if the Rotten Tomato score wasn't so low there'd be a lot less people complaining here. Most of the audience in general also seems to like it so there's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom