• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero315

Banned
The list of cut scenes show

Joker and Harley's story/abusive relationship was a pretty large part of the movie, and the final edit of the scenes they shared reflects that there's huge chunks missing that explain their behavior and the scenes bettter.

I hadn't looked into any of the cut scenes, but I think it works the way it is in the movie. Leave those finer details to flesh out in her solo movie.

Bizazedo

Diablo was the best character. The actor killed it.

I have misgivings about how he was written in the final showdown, though.

It's a little disingenuous to compare a character trait that's actually in the film vs something that just gets whipped up for the credits sequence, no?

Fuck the reviews this movie was amazing ! I loved how they actually gave all characters time to shine, unlike Marvel. I normally hate on DC, but I got to hand it to them. Suicide Squad is my movie of the year.

-d0hv

raw

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Diablo was the best character. The actor killed it.

I have misgivings about how he was written in the final showdown, though.

Yeah, he was definitely a surprise. Everyone was great to solid imo and like I said, it's a good foundation, chemistry-wise, for (most of) them to appear again, whether all together or individually (like Capt. Boomerang in the Flash movie for example).

Deadshot in the Bats solo flick would be dope to me, to be honest, but that's tough cuz Harley and Joker need to be there too.

At least people are saying Will Smith is good. Say what you want about him but I actually like him as an actor. Even if he's playing Will Smith

Ashtrax

I've been warming up to it since last night. All my criticisms remain, it's heavily flawed, but not a miserable experience or anything.

Agree, I think the reason people ripping into this film pretty hard is that everyone wanted this film to elevate. And it could well have, but the structure of the film is jarringly messy.

Saying "fuck the reviewers' or "reviewers are wrong" is the wrong mindset to have here. You can see it and still really enjoy the film despite whatever issues it has (even if they don't occur to you)

I personally disagree with people saying it's a trainwreck, solely because a lot of the negative impressions I've read sound like "it was mediocre at best" which is not a trainwreck...it's a disappointment.

I agree that the first part of the movie is structured a bit weird and the popular music shit was annoying as fuck, but they cool off with that after the movie gets going.

I don't really see how trailers were misleading either. If there's anything I can really say about the film it's basically "I really liked the style and characters from the trailer, the film gave me roughly two hours of it". If anything they desperately tried to capture the vibe of the trailers with their sweet Spotify playlist of a soundtrack.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Just got back from this.

Internet would have you believe this movie is literal dumpster fire. In my opinion, it was a fun movie, not without its flaws.

Viola Davis is the top reason to go see this. She slays!

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Just got back from this.

Internet would have you believe this movie is literal dumpster fire. In my opinion, it was a fun movie, not without its flaws.

Viola Davis is the top reason to go see this. She slays!

Can't be said enough. We got The Wall we deserved.

takriel

I've seen a lot of comments floating around saying "Well I didn't see enough of Joker to form an opinion."

Yes you did. If you weren't wowed by what you saw already, you didn't like that portrayal.

Joker isn't a character that you have an indifferent reaction to when the performance is good.
Okay, thanks for clearing that up for the rest of us.

Captain Boomerang and Deadshot had more charisma and charm than any other blockbuster this year.

I believe this movie would be 100% if
Captain Boomerang never returned after leaving with his beer and you legit don't see him again in the movie.

Illucio

Banned
The movie was more or less what I expected. I had moderate expectations and they were all met.

It didn't succeed my expectations but it's still a solid enjoyable film.

But the movie was pretty cheesy but the good kind. Definitely a movie I'd watch again on DVD or reruns on TV if I see it on.

A positive 6.5/10. Thor 2 tier.

Remember 6.5 doesn't mean it's terrible, it's one of those films like Austin Powers where you need to just sit back and enjoy the ride rather then pick on what's realistic.

Overall I feel like half the Suicide Squad members never truly got to shine. It was nice seeing the spotlight on Harley since she's truly the star of the show. But she deserves her own movie then anything, I couldn't get enough of her!

Fury451

Banned
Okay, thanks for clearing that up for the rest of us.

Obviously it's my take, I assume "imo" is implied.

Not really sure how much more of this Joker one needs to see to understand what direction they're taking the character though. They pushed him a lot in the marketing, it's fairly clear even from limited time onscreen what the performance is and is going to be in future movies.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
That's kinda really concerning. RT has too much influence in movies.

From article said:
It is interesting, however, that about 80 percent of the time on recent supermovies, a 2.5 rating (regardless of scale) is Rotten on DC’s movies, while it’s Fresh about 50 percent of the time for Marvel.

Guess some people want to watch the world burn.

wildfire

Banned
A question to all those who've watched it, without spoiling, how did Ropeguy do?

joker-laughing-o.gif

This movie has some really dumb and I mean pants on head DUMB plot points but even with those flaws the movie is good. Not mediocre, solidly good.

This movie is carried by personality and some very visceral moments with character interactions. It almost blows away any Marvel movie in making a cast interesting to watch interacting with each other. (The entire Civil War is still King and the Ultron party was on point)

I want Suicide Squad 2 to happen because they nailed the casting and it's an extremely diverse main crew, with only Boomerang and Flag being the white dudes in the crew

Ethnic Avengers STRIKE AGAIN

I want Suicide Squad 2 to happen because they nailed the casting and it's an extremely diverse main crew, with only Boomerang and Flag being the white dudes in the crew

Personally I think the negative reviews are coming from people who can't handle the diversity

Guardians got away with it by having its non-white cast members be aliens

I mean the evidence is right there

Corpekata

Banned
"Maybe RT has followed that procedure with everyone else, but no one has ever reached out to me for clarification."

Yeah how dare they not rush to get clarification from the Kansas City Star.

Illucio

Banned

I agree the casting was perfect. It's going to be a painful long wait for a 2nd movie. But I absolutely have a clench for another movie. I just hope they don't add more members and they just focus on the current cast.

kinggroin

Banned
*Generic sword girl talks to her husband's soul smoke in the sword for a few seconds*

*Cut to generic white patriot man*

"Her husband was killed with that sword. She talk to his soul which is trapped in the sword"

Yeah I seriously doubt the diverse main crew is the reason for the negative reviews at all, the movie's flaws are quite obvious

I agree the casting was perfect. It's going to be a painful long wait for a 2nd movie. But I absolutely have a clench for another movie. I just hope they don't add more members and they just focus on the current cast.

I could see them triggering it up for a 2nd one real quick considering it's going from BvS to Justice League in like a year and a half

Enjoyed the movie but its a 6.5 at best. They have Batman and Flash on call, why didn't they just hire them to take out the baddies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom